2003 TL-S Install Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 12:44 PM
Professional Wrestler

Received 13 Likes on 1 Post
By the way, Jeff, sorry about the national championship game!

Last edited by KevlarCC; 12-17-2007 at 12:48 PM.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:52 AM
'02 TL-S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KevlarCC
By the way, Jeff, sorry about the national championship game!

Sorry that LSU is gonna lose....yea me too.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:13 AM
Professional Wrestler

This is in reply to a PM from SSM 03 Type-S (your inbox is full).

The pocket is standard half din. You will have to cut out the pocket. Depth is really not an issue. The EQ I am using is an audiobahn, because I already had it, but any half din sized eq should fit.

I have some pics that I will repost but basically, I cut the top and sides out of the pocket and left the bottom as a support shelf. I did cut it off short.

I only ran one output to the eq and three outputs from the eq to the amps (front, rear, and, sub). Fade will be done by the eq, not the head unit.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:19 PM
Advanced

This is in reply to a PM from SSM 03 Type-S (your inbox is full).

The pocket is standard half din. You will have to cut out the pocket. Depth is really not an issue. The EQ I am using is an audiobahn, because I already had it, but any half din sized eq should fit.

I have some pics that I will repost but basically, I cut the top and sides out of the pocket and left the bottom as a support shelf. I did cut it off short.

I only ran one output to the eq and three outputs from the eq to the amps (front, rear, and, sub). Fade will be done by the eq, not the head unit.

Thanks man. that was the info i was looking for.
Old 01-14-2008, 03:54 PM
Professional Wrestler

I completed almost everything this weekend. Everything is complete except the XM tuner mount, reassembly of the back seat, and tuning.

I don't have time to post details right now but I will take pics and make a big post later.

WAHOO!
Old 01-14-2008, 07:09 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts
I completed almost everything this weekend. Everything is complete except the XM tuner mount, reassembly of the back seat, and tuning.

I don't have time to post details right now but I will take pics and make a big post later.

WAHOO!
I think we're all pretty excited for you as well. Can't wait to see pics!
Old 01-15-2008, 07:58 AM
'02 TL-S

Interested to see how it all came out.

I completed mine in time for New Years. Just too lazy to post pics and details.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:48 AM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,182 Likes on 690 Posts
I just read thru this whole thing thinking he has gotta have finished pics by now, only to find nothing Hurry up man, looks good so far
Old 01-15-2008, 10:29 AM
Professional Wrestler

Sorry, gents. I am at work right now but I will try to snap some shots at lunch. I'll get glamor shots with a real camera later.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:03 PM
Professional Wrestler

Not cleaned yet, the back seat is still out, and this was with a crappy camera so bear with me and take it easy on the scrutiny but:

Old 01-16-2008, 09:56 AM
'02 TL-S

How does it sound?
Old 01-17-2008, 10:50 AM
Professional Wrestler

I am happy to finally say that I am in tuning phase on the project now. My equalizer has a few odd things that it does so I have had to figure some of that out. At this point I have the system about 90% balanced and I am very happy with the results.

The Pioneer Elite components are very punchy and with the sealed doors (definitely worth the trouble) provide great impact in the front. They play way down and are very tight. There seems to be a zone in the upper mid range that is under represented but I haven't had a chance to chase it down and EQ is out. Hopefully, it is not an issue with the passive crossovers.

I fuking love that AURA sub! It is too bad they stopped making gear because I would put it up against anything for SQ. It isn't even broken in yet. It is very punchy and tight. It handles transients really well with no holly boom or sloppiness. To anyone building a system, 500 watts to a 12 is really excessive unless you are going for something more than SQ. I think 200-300 would have been fine. Like I said before, I already owned the amp.

I am very happy with both the JVC and the MMATS amps. The JVC is very clean and the MMATS is strong like bull. I have the gains on the mid/high amp at about 2/3 for the front and about 1/3 for the back. The gain on the sub amp is at about 3/8 and I have it turned down at the EQ. Don't get me wrong, I like to thump, but to balance the sound for regular daily driver type listening I have it way down and it sounds great. If I do feel like really bumping it, when I boost it on the EQ the gains on the amp don't need to be raised to really buzz my hair, shirt, and rear view mirror.

The head unit has some quirks that I am not sure of yet, but as usual, I didn't read the book. I never do until I get my hands on something and fiddle with it for a while. The ipod control is a little bit of a pain because it always starts at A when you list artists, songs, playlist, etc. It would be much better if it would start at the last point navigated to, like the ipod itself does. I read there was a way to maintain control over the ipod on the clickwheel with it plugged in but I don't know the specifics at this point.

The appearance of the system is top notch, people are really impressed with the doors, the dash, and that BADASS box from Uncald4. Thanks so much for that BTW!! I still need to do some photography work, that will probably be this weekend.

Thanks again for the interest in this project and sorry it dragged on for so long, such is life. If anyone is considering a similar project and want some advice or wants to know haw I did something ask and you shall receive.