2-way vs 3-way speakers

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2001, 02:36 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2-way vs 3-way speakers

First off, what is teh difference b/w these? If it's 3-way, does that mean there are three speakers (tweeter, mid, low) that have to be installed? I'm probably gonna get boston pro series components, but I noticed on their site that they have 3-way 6.5 pros for $300 more!

Do most people here get just 2-ways? Or 3-ways?

thanks again! sorry for all these ?s, but just want to make sure I'm making a good purchase, like everyone else!

UCLAtl
Old 09-18-2001, 05:04 AM
Three Wheelin'

2 ways have a mid and high(tweeter). 3 ways have a mid and 2 highs

id take the components
Old 09-18-2001, 11:27 AM
Instructor

What do you mean mr tl? Both 2-ways and 3-ways are componenets. From what I can tell, there are actually three speakers to be installed when you purchase a 3-way compoenent: tweeter, woofer, and mid. If this is the case, I wonder where they install the third speaker?

UCLAtl
Old 09-18-2001, 01:03 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
A 3-way comp usually consist of a tweet, mid, and midbass. Most commonly the midbass is installed in the door while the mid and tweet are installed in kick panels.
Old 09-19-2001, 05:09 AM
Three Wheelin'

i usually use the term 2/3-way when talking about coaxials

3 way components are high end stuff. i figured you made a typo
Old 09-19-2001, 06:54 PM
Drifting

What are exactly are components and coaxials?

Is the difference between components/coaxials and regular speakers is that components and coaxials come with a tweeter and regular speakers are just a speaker, like a regular 6.5 inch speaker is just the speaker but a 6.5 inch component set is the speaker and a tweeter?
Old 09-20-2001, 09:21 AM
Instructor

With components you have a separate tweeter, mid and midbass (3 comp. system) or a separate tweeter and mid (2 comp. system). Both systems would be coupled with a passive crossover to split the highs and lows to the right speakers.

Two-way (coaxial) or three-way (triaxial) speakers have the speakers mounted on each other. It is worth noting that the three-way is made up of a woofer, tweeter and normally a super tweeter.

Components are more expensive and are harder to install, but they sound so much better. You can place the tweeters closer to head level to make your "sound stage" sound better. The singer or band will sound like they are performing in front of you instead of coming from your floorboards.

The disadvantages is that components sound a lot better when powered with an amp. 2/3-ways are more sensitive and will sound better with deck power. The other disadvantage is the need to cut holes, but our TLs have factory locations for separates.

Most people with components have two speaker set ups. I personally have a/d/s 336is two-component system in the door and dash openings, plus 325is tweeters in the map light housing.

Hope it helps,
--Teflon
Old 09-20-2001, 04:32 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by teflon
With components you have a separate tweeter, mid and midbass (3 comp. system) or a separate tweeter and mid (2 comp. system). Both systems would be coupled with a passive crossover to split the highs and lows to the right speakers.

Two-way (coaxial) or three-way (triaxial) speakers have the speakers mounted on each other. It is worth noting that the three-way is made up of a woofer, tweeter and normally a super tweeter.

Components are more expensive and are harder to install, but they sound so much better. You can place the tweeters closer to head level to make your "sound stage" sound better. The singer or band will sound like they are performing in front of you instead of coming from your floorboards.

The disadvantages is that components sound a lot better when powered with an amp. 2/3-ways are more sensitive and will sound better with deck power. The other disadvantage is the need to cut holes, but our TLs have factory locations for separates.

Most people with components have two speaker set ups. I personally have a/d/s 336is two-component system in the door and dash openings, plus 325is tweeters in the map light housing.

Hope it helps,
--Teflon
Absolutely helped. Thanks for the knowledge.