05 TSX system complete: few minor quirks

Old 01-19-2006, 12:00 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 TSX system complete: few minor quirks

I just got a total system overhaul for my '05 TSX wif navi...

MTX 4-Channel Amplifier (TA3404)

Bazooka 300-Watt Monoblock Amplifier (BA1300)

Infinity 5-1/4" Component System (5010CS)

Infinity 6-1/2" Loudspeaker (6012I)

and 2 Kicker 10'' comps

Using the stock headunit and 4-guage wiring I have come across some issues (I had this install professionally done, and before I take it back I just wanted you guys' help to diagnose what went wrong)

1. The fader isn't properly working. There is bleeding through you can't isolate left right front back etc. I currently have it on F +2 and L+2

2. The Navi voice isn't coming on. It's worked twice, both when the headunit is off...sometimes you hear the static on the speakers but the voice never makes its way through

3. There is "noise" much like you hear from the old cassette tapes that you can hear from volume 1-6.

Alright guys any and all help is appreciated, thanks in advance
Old 01-19-2006, 12:54 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by vpat25
I just got a total system overhaul for my '05 TSX wif navi...

MTX 4-Channel Amplifier (TA3404)

Bazooka 300-Watt Monoblock Amplifier (BA1300)

Infinity 5-1/4" Component System (5010CS)

Infinity 6-1/2" Loudspeaker (6012I)

and 2 Kicker 10'' comps

Using the stock headunit and 4-guage wiring I have come across some issues (I had this install professionally done, and before I take it back I just wanted you guys' help to diagnose what went wrong)

1. The fader isn't properly working. There is bleeding through you can't isolate left right front back etc. I currently have it on F +2 and L+2

2. The Navi voice isn't coming on. It's worked twice, both when the headunit is off...sometimes you hear the static on the speakers but the voice never makes its way through

3. There is "noise" much like you hear from the old cassette tapes that you can hear from volume 1-6.

Alright guys any and all help is appreciated, thanks in advance
Take your car back and tell them the problem you are having. They are responsible for fixing it to your liking.

As a rule for the 2005 TSX w/ nav, this is what you must do:

1. Tap the signals after the OEM amp, and use LOCs between the OEM amp and your aftermarket amps. If your aftermarket amps can take high signals then you don't need the LOCs. This should get rid of noise issues. It sounds like they are tapping signals before your OEM amp. I did this to my car and I had all kinds of noise from the alternator, the engines, the brakes, etc. It drove me crazy buying all kinds of fixes for them. At the end, I tap the signals after the OEM, now no noise and the signals are cleaner. Sounds great.
2. Make sure the radio is on when using the navigation. The remote wire should be properly installed to turn on your after market amps. This should fix your navi voice issue. When the radio is not on it takes awhile for the aftermarket amps to fire up when it detect a signal from the navi. By the time it wakes up the navi instruction has stopped. That's why you can't hear anything. With the radio on the aftermarket amps are already on, so any navi instruction will get amplified so you can hear it.
2. Use the front and rear door signals for your 4-channel amp. These signals can be tapped at the connector to the OEM amp. Look at the stickies for the TSX schematics. This should fix your fade, and balance issues. Make sure the neg and pos signal are connected correctly.
3. For the bass signals, tap them in the trunk at the 6x9 speakers. Don't use the front or rear door signals for bass. They have the lowest frequencies cut off by the OEM amp.

Hope that will help. Ultimately, don't try to fix this yourself if you already paid for the installations. Give them the instructions above and tell them to fix it.
Old 01-19-2006, 03:10 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Solaris94
Take your car back and tell them the problem you are having. They are responsible for fixing it to your liking.

As a rule for the 2005 TSX w/ nav, this is what you must do:

1. Tap the signals after the OEM amp, and use LOCs between the OEM amp and your aftermarket amps. If your aftermarket amps can take high signals then you don't need the LOCs. This should get rid of noise issues. It sounds like they are tapping signals before your OEM amp. I did this to my car and I had all kinds of noise from the alternator, the engines, the brakes, etc. It drove me crazy buying all kinds of fixes for them. At the end, I tap the signals after the OEM, now no noise and the signals are cleaner. Sounds great.
2. Make sure the radio is on when using the navigation. The remote wire should be properly installed to turn on your after market amps. This should fix your navi voice issue. When the radio is not on it takes awhile for the aftermarket amps to fire up when it detect a signal from the navi. By the time it wakes up the navi instruction has stopped. That's why you can't hear anything. With the radio on the aftermarket amps are already on, so any navi instruction will get amplified so you can hear it.
2. Use the front and rear door signals for your 4-channel amp. These signals can be tapped at the connector to the OEM amp. Look at the stickies for the TSX schematics. This should fix your fade, and balance issues. Make sure the neg and pos signal are connected correctly.
3. For the bass signals, tap them in the trunk at the 6x9 speakers. Don't use the front or rear door signals for bass. They have the lowest frequencies cut off by the OEM amp.

Hope that will help. Ultimately, don't try to fix this yourself if you already paid for the installations. Give them the instructions above and tell them to fix it.
Thanks for the insight...but I forgot to clarify 2 important things...

My amp has high level inputs AND the navi voice doenst work at all when the radio is on...so
Old 01-19-2006, 03:54 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,408 Likes on 3,020 Posts
Old 01-19-2006, 04:44 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
It doesn't matter that your amps have high level inputs. You only use high level inputs when you have to.

The TSX has two balanced outputs. Many amps can take a balanced output in directly (JL, DLS, Zapco, etc.) and a few cannot. I don't know about those two.

But many, many people on this board over the last couple of years have added amps to this car, and the ones with high level inputs often had noise, and the ones with high level inputs tapped onto the low level wires always had noise, and my suspicion is that they wired it wrong.

I would try the balanced in and see how it sounds.

If the amps won't take balanced inputs, you can use a specific LOC that is designed for balanced in, single-ended out conversion. I like the Soundgate LOCPREA (2 channel, need 2). Peripheral makes one called the SVEN4 (4 channel).

The instructions below work on amps that will take balanced inputs. It's worth trying to see.

https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-navigation-22/instructions-install-shop-preamp-output-300209/
Old 01-20-2006, 08:24 AM
Instructor

Is the true that the door signals have the bass crossed over?? I didn't think they had any high pass crossover on them at all. So you have to use the rear deck signals for bass????
Old 01-20-2006, 01:10 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by dizzy1
Is the true that the door signals have the bass crossed over?? I didn't think they had any high pass crossover on them at all. So you have to use the rear deck signals for bass????
I don't know the exact specs on where it is crossed over, but I got much louder and deeper bass from the rear deck signals.