[TSX] help with a strange audio whine...

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 09:03 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[TSX] help with a strange audio whine...

equipment in question: stock acura nav headunit with amp bypass spliced in, monster cable micro xln 4ch cable, jl audio 300/4 amp

Even with my gains turned all the way down, I get a high pitched squeel coming from the speakers, though mainly from the front tweeters, it may be coming out of the back door speakers, but I can't tell. If I use the crossover to cut out high frequencies on the amp, the squeel goes away (though I want those frequencies, I was just testing) .. so at least the squeel can be crossovered and filtered out...

Here's the weird part .. if I touch the rca connector that's plugged into the amp, like the gold plated outer part of the plug that's exposed, the squeel goes away, completely. In fact, if i hover my finger a bit over the plug, i can hear the squeel getting attenuated and it's pitch and db fluctuate, and then ultimately if i just touch the outer plug, the squeel is killed dead.

As i mentioned previously, I'm using a 4ch .. so 4 rca cables get combined into one cable and that's what is run down the length of the car, and then it splits back out to 4 channels. Here's the even weirder part: I only need to touch one of the plugs for the squeel to stop on all the speakers .. front left, front right, rear left, rear right; it doesn't make a difference, as long as i'm touching one of those plugs, the squeel stops everywhere.

any ideas? I know it's hard to properly verbalize, here's a picture to illustrate where i'm touching:

-vasu
Old 02-13-2006, 10:18 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Vasu, isn't this the amp that you got from me? The one that I had in my TSX with no noise (as long as the gain was down)?
Old 02-13-2006, 10:37 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah it's the amp i got from you .. and yeah the gains are all the way down .. i really can't explain it, it's like there's some residual charge or something that's getting dumped into me and killing the squeal

have you ever heard of this el dude? touching the outside of the plug and having it get rid of a noise?

(and on a side note: if you haven't already sent the speakers yet, don't worry about it, I think i'm just going to get the MBQ, unless you sent them already and i'll experiment)

-vasu
Old 02-13-2006, 10:53 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by vasu
Here's the even weirder part: I only need to touch one of the plugs for the squeel to stop on all the speakers .. front left, front right, rear left, rear right; it doesn't make a difference, as long as i'm touching one of those plugs, the squeel stops everywhere.
Weird in and of itself, yeah, but not so odd that you can touch any shield, as they are all tied to each other, it would be odd if it didn't happen the way you describe. But like you suggest it sounds like your body is acting as a capacitor or a resistor. If you find out why, definitely post the answer.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:31 PM
Polar Chicken

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I tested this and can reproduce on my car but only on the drivers side tweater.