Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 09:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 211 Likes on 159 Posts
Replacing Dome Light LEDs

Does anyone know if it's -

1. Possible
2. Bulb type

I recently have started replacing my bulbs (Vanity, Puddle, Glovebox, Center Console, Trunk, License Plate, and Reverse) with some iJDMToy 'Xenon White' LEDs (~6K) and would like the other interior ones to match. I prefer the blueish white to the warm colored ones Acura has.

I found a few threads talking about how they are integrated into the dome and are not replaceable, but I'm sure they can be swapped somehow.
Old 01-16-2015, 08:45 AM
Keeping TL until 2029

Received 126 Likes on 109 Posts
Personally, the bulbs to me are pretty white (front and back on roof liner). I bought my car used so I don't know if the previous owner modded them.
Old 01-16-2015, 12:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by echodigital
Personally, the bulbs to me are pretty white (front and back on roof liner). I bought my car used so I don't know if the previous owner modded them.
Oh they're definitely 'white' but it's a warmer white than the ~6000K I have. The new LEDs are a more 'blueish' color.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:12 PM
Burning Brakes

So bit the bullet and ordered the Warm White - I'll update the thread when I get them.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan
Does anyone know if it's -

1. Possible
2. Bulb type

I recently have started replacing my bulbs (Vanity, Puddle, Glovebox, Center Console, Trunk, License Plate, and Reverse) with some iJDMToy 'Xenon White' LEDs (~6K) and would like the other interior ones to match. I prefer the blueish white to the warm colored ones Acura has.

I found a few threads talking about how they are integrated into the dome and are not replaceable, but I'm sure they can be swapped somehow.
according to the diagram there's no replaceable parts inside the dome. the LED is probably soldered onto the board so you'll propbably need to solder some on of the same rating, different color.
Old 01-17-2015, 04:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by csmeance
according to the diagram there's no replaceable parts inside the dome. the LED is probably soldered onto the board so you'll propbably need to solder some on of the same rating, different color.
Yeah, I looked at the part numbers as well - major bummer.

I figured they were probably soldered. As much as I like the Xenon White, I'd rather have all the interior lights be identical.
Old 01-17-2015, 05:45 PM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 427 Posts
There is a member on here who took apart his dome lights and replaced them with blue LED's.

https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-b...-we-go-887639/

It's funny, the 4G TL is the first car I've owned with LED dome lights and I actually wish it didn't. Too much of a pain to change them. I too prefer cool white lighting as opposed to the warm white lights that come in it stock.
Old 01-18-2015, 11:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BDoggPrelude
There is a member on here who took apart his dome lights and replaced them with blue LED's.

https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-b...-we-go-887639/

It's funny, the 4G TL is the first car I've owned with LED dome lights and I actually wish it didn't. Too much of a pain to change them. I too prefer cool white lighting as opposed to the warm white lights that come in it stock.
Dude! BDogg that thread is perfect!!!

And yeah, I love the cool white, now that I've seen what he used, I bet I can mimic it. I graduated with a Electrical Engineering degree so soldering (and desoldering) isn't anything I'm afraid of.
The following users liked this post:
echodigital (01-18-2015)
Old 01-20-2015, 05:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Update for other users.

The OEM lights are 'cooler' than 5000K it appears.

The 'Warm White' LEDs from iJDMToy are pretty much identical to standard bulbs, and the 'Xenon White' LEDs are a much bluer light.

I'm going to keep the Xenon White ones for now and return the Warm White as I prefer the blue hue, but am going to try to figure out how to upgrade the domes.
Old 01-21-2015, 12:14 AM
Burning Brakes

Update to the update!

I'm returning the iJDMToy set (Vanity, Puddle, License Plate) in Xenon White as well as the Warm White in favor of the VLED set that's 5K in color temperature.

I feel the 5K is going to be far closer to the OEM color which is what I want for the interior at least. I bought the glovebox, and console LEDs as 5K too, but may keep them at 6K along with the trunk. I may end up making the trunk 5K as well.

So my new configuration (and purchase links if anyone is interested) will be:

- 5K Vanity
- 6K Glovebox & Console or 5K
- 6K Puddle
- 6K License Plate
- 6K Trunk or 5K Trunk
- 6K Reverse

I still need to figure out what I'm going to do with turn signals, or if I'm going to mess with them. I purchased a set from iJDMToy, but they are bulky with the resistor for hyper-flashing. I'm not sure if I can find a place to mount it. VLED has this set which looks promising, but $60 is a lot of money for a turn signal...

Last edited by TheMuffinMan; 01-21-2015 at 12:17 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by TheMuffinMan:
echodigital (01-24-2015), fryrice (07-04-2015)
Old 01-21-2015, 11:14 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts
I still need to figure out what I'm going to do with turn signals, or if I'm going to mess with them. I purchased a set from iJDMToy, but they are bulky with the resistor for hyper-flashing. I'm not sure if I can find a place to mount it. VLED has this set which looks promising, but $60 is a lot of money for a turn signal...
You'd still need the resistor, wouldn't you? How would this be better?
Old 01-21-2015, 12:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sockpuppet
You'd still need the resistor, wouldn't you? How would this be better?
Not sure actually, was going to do some digging. I don't think we have enough room behind the taillights themselves to mount the resistor stuff - iJDMToy had a very short cable length from bulb to resistor box so I couldn't mount it in the trunk, it'd have to be on the outside of the car.

I may just have to go with the resistor and have long enough cabling to bring it into the trunk.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:36 PM
Drifting

Update to the update!

I'm returning the iJDMToy set (Vanity, Puddle, License Plate) in Xenon White as well as the Warm White in favor of the VLED set that's 5K in color temperature.

I feel the 5K is going to be far closer to the OEM color which is what I want for the interior at least. I bought the glovebox, and console LEDs as 5K too, but may keep them at 6K along with the trunk. I may end up making the trunk 5K as well.

So my new configuration (and purchase links if anyone is interested) will be:

- 5K Vanity
- 6K Glovebox & Console or 5K
- 6K Puddle
- 6K License Plate
- 6K Trunk or 5K Trunk
- 6K Reverse

That looks like the exact same V-LED's configuration I have except I did their 6k in everything. Also have their Triton V3 LED switchbacks front and rear and their, now discontinued, MT-G2 LED DRL/high-beam kit. Altogether, it's an expensive buy-in initially but it's nice to know I most likely won't have to worry about any lighting needs for the life of the car.
The following users liked this post:
echodigital (01-24-2015)
Old 01-22-2015, 11:02 AM
Burning Brakes

That looks like the exact same V-LED's configuration I have except I did their 6k in everything. Also have their Triton V3 LED switchbacks front and rear and their, now discontinued, MT-G2 LED DRL/high-beam kit. Altogether, it's an expensive buy-in initially but it's nice to know I most likely won't have to worry about any lighting needs for the life of the car.
Nice!

I love the 6K lighting color, but I would rather have it all the interior stuff be identical.

I figure I've got the blueish HIDs for headlights so the license plate and puddle lights will look ok being 6K.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:50 PM
Drifting

Nice!

I love the 6K lighting color, but I would rather have it all the interior stuff be identical.

I figure I've got the blueish HIDs for headlights so the license plate and puddle lights will look ok being 6K.
My hope is to get one of my electrical engineer friends to swap the dome lights to match for me eventually.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:32 AM
Burning Brakes

My hope is to get one of my electrical engineer friends to swap the dome lights to match for me eventually.
I may buy a spare dome light to see if I can do the swap. I've got the skills (I'm an EE) and the equipment. My issue was finding the LED's - I was considering trying to swap the ones on my existing SMD LED guys from iJDMToy but I need to take some measurements.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:48 AM
Burning Brakes

Got the VLED LEDs in and I have to say I'm very impressed!

I swapped everything out already and everything worked great, it fit pretty well (except the puddle lights, had to bend a bracket) and the color match on the interior vanity mirrors is way better.

I took some comparison pictures as well if people were interested in seeing the difference.
Old 01-23-2015, 01:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Name:  U1usQ0E.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  41.0 KB

Left is iJDMToy 6000K Xenon White
Right is VLED 5000K White

The VLED is far closer to the stock colors than the iJDMToy ones.
Old 01-25-2015, 12:49 AM
Burning Brakes

Looks like I missed a few bulbs too, so I'm going to be adding a few additional ones.

Front/Rear sidemarkers (appear to be a 168) and I'll likely buy Amber/Red (respectively) bulbs.

I'm also still trying to figure out exactly what I need for the turn signals front and rear. I know the bulb types (3457A and 7440) but want to make sure I get the right bulbs and address the hyperflashing.

And I may buy the 5K dome light for the rear so it matches the interior's lighting. I've been very impressed with the VLEDs so far.
Old 01-25-2015, 05:15 PM
Drifting

I would skip the side markers personally. I don't think you'll notice a difference in the lighting behind a colored diffuser. I did the Triton V3 switchbacks front and rear. Pretty pricy but I like them. I was going to do a quick walk around video this week when the weather warms up around here. Might wanna hold off for a few days in case you decide to go the same route. I also did the Morimoto LED fogs.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:50 AM
Burning Brakes

I would skip the side markers personally. I don't think you'll notice a difference in the lighting behind a colored diffuser. I did the Triton V3 switchbacks front and rear. Pretty pricy but I like them. I was going to do a quick walk around video this week when the weather warms up around here. Might wanna hold off for a few days in case you decide to go the same route. I also did the Morimoto LED fogs.
I'd definitely be interested in seeing them (the switchbacks).

The sidemarkers would really just be to cross off of the list. I also have to figure out if I want to re-replace the glovebox and center console to the 5K bulbs I have coming in vs leaving them at 6K.

Fogs I've got Nokya Hyper Yellows in, I like the ricer look Also put the Hyper Yellows in my high beams for DRL as well.
Old 02-09-2015, 06:54 PM
Burning Brakes

If anyone else is curious, I swapped out the 6K iJDMToy LEDs in the glovebox and center console (way easier this time around!) in favor of the 5K VLED ones. Noticeably brighter. I'd highly recommend them.
The following 2 users liked this post by TheMuffinMan:
fryrice (07-04-2015), Soal Man (02-25-2024)