Need LOTS of help, big problem, advice needed(parents would be more helpful) - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

Go Back  AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community > Off Topic Discussion > AcuraZine's Hall of Fame
Reload this Page >

Need LOTS of help, big problem, advice needed(parents would be more helpful)

Notices

Need LOTS of help, big problem, advice needed(parents would be more helpful)

 
 
Old 10-19-2004, 07:53 PM
  #1  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Rockledge, Florida
Age: 30
Posts: 1,278
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Need LOTS of help, big problem, advice needed(parents would be more helpful)

Hey guys, as many of you know I am 16 years old, and live in Florida, I have been 16 for over 6months now.

Since I turned 16, I have been wanting a car. I have done what ever my parents wanted me to. My dad said if I got all A's in my junior year (this year) I could get a BMW. He didn't specify which one, all along I thought I was going to get a M5. The other day I was showing my brother one and he says I wasn't going to buy you a M5 I was going to buy you a 318i. I was like wtf and wanted to punch him. But i held myself back.

I want a BMW 3seris, I find these cars quite nice, and my mom has a TL so I will drive it when I want. I have been find 01+ for around 20grand.

This is what I need help with.
I need ideas/techniques to get the message across to my parents that I need a car, and they should buy it for me.

I asked them if I could get a job, they said no. They only sources of income I have is lunch money, and my computer building which hardly noone wants a computer from me
I am starting a "fund" for myself, its called the "help Ian buy a car fund", if anyone wants to donate let me know.

I have worked my ass off trying to get in shape and do good in school. School comes first of course which I dont know about anymore. I get home at 4:30 from school, eat for 15- 30mins and then do homework untill around 5:45 / 6, then I go roadbiking. Get back at 7, shower and snack on something until about 7:30, then do more homework untill I am done. I ussally get done around 10 or 11. If I dont finish all of it by 11:30 I wake up at 4:30 - 5 to do the rest. I go thru this everyday.

Can you guys please help me??
Ianbiz3 is offline  
Old 10-19-2004, 07:57 PM
  #2  
Registered Member
 
Raheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 11,002
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Um Why not just wait a couple more years to start driving and all, its your dads house and you live under it, and he works and you dont, so he can do whatever he reasonably thinks is good with his money, a 318i BMW aint bad IMO, its better than nothing, so dont fight about it and end up getting nothing, take whats handed to you, and maybe in a year or two you can get a job and save up and buy yourself a M5, Which I think is Enormous for you who just recently got your license to have Learn how to drive good on a normal car before getting such a nice car
Raheel is offline  
Old 10-19-2004, 08:08 PM
  #3  
The Oracle of Acurazine!
 
Teh Jatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Fresno, CA
Age: 35
Posts: 28,697
Thanked 26 Times in 8 Posts
u dont deserver M5 man, ur soo young... get whatever they give u.... thats all!

u better put ur flame suit, cuz flamers are coming....
Teh Jatt is offline  
Old 10-19-2004, 08:13 PM
  #4  
Registered Member
 
Raheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 11,002
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AcuraTLjatt559
u better put ur flame suit, cuz flamers are coming....
Raheel is offline  
Old 10-19-2004, 08:26 PM
  #5  
Team NightHawk VP
 
cliff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Manalapan, NJ
Posts: 1,029
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AcuraTLjatt559
u dont deserver M5 man, ur soo young... get whatever they give u.... thats all!

u better put ur flame suit, cuz flamers are coming....

sorry for the OT, but how come they dont have a fire extinguisher smilie??

anyway, im only 17 and im very lucky to get a tl, i dont think i even deserve this because i dont do very good in school. but my parents gave me a price range and i picked out what i wanted...there wasnt much for me to pick from..they wont let me get manual, convertible, or 2 door.

so the bmw 330ci was out of the question
then i saw the TL and i was in love
cliff is offline  
Old 10-19-2004, 08:36 PM
  #6  
Community Architect
robb m.
 
astro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: ON
Age: 42
Posts: 72,448
Thanked 398 Times in 170 Posts
wow, and i thought i had read it all on the internet.
astro is offline  
Old 10-19-2004, 08:50 PM
  #7  
dumber than a box of hair
 
SidS1045's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Stoneham MA
Age: 68
Posts: 830
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ianbiz3
Hey guys, as many of you know I am 16 years old, and live in Florida, I have been 16 for over 6months now.

Since I turned 16, I have been wanting a car. I have done what ever my parents wanted me to. My dad said if I got all A's in my junior year (this year) I could get a BMW. He didn't specify which one, all along I thought I was going to get a M5. The other day I was showing my brother one and he says I wasn't going to buy you a M5 I was going to buy you a 318i. I was like wtf and wanted to punch him. But i held myself back.

I want a BMW 3seris, I find these cars quite nice, and my mom has a TL so I will drive it when I want. I have been find 01+ for around 20grand.

This is what I need help with.
I need ideas/techniques to get the message across to my parents that I need a car, and they should buy it for me.

I asked them if I could get a job, they said no. They only sources of income I have is lunch money, and my computer building which hardly noone wants a computer from me
I am starting a "fund" for myself, its called the "help Ian buy a car fund", if anyone wants to donate let me know.

I have worked my ass off trying to get in shape and do good in school. School comes first of course which I dont know about anymore. I get home at 4:30 from school, eat for 15- 30mins and then do homework untill around 5:45 / 6, then I go roadbiking. Get back at 7, shower and snack on something until about 7:30, then do more homework untill I am done. I ussally get done around 10 or 11. If I dont finish all of it by 11:30 I wake up at 4:30 - 5 to do the rest. I go thru this everyday.

Can you guys please help me??
Say absolutely NOTHING about it. I know that's going to be difficult, but if you harp on it, they'll say no reflexively.

Do everything you possibly can to earn it. Meet and then exceed your dad's expectations by working your butt off. Get all those A's. Go over and above the call of duty. Volunteer for every household chore. Once the academic year is done and you have all those A's, then, and ONLY then, bring it up. Don't make demands like "I don't want a 318, I want an M5." It only makes you look like a greedy, spoiled brat. Show them that you're responsible.
SidS1045 is offline  
Old 10-19-2004, 08:51 PM
  #8  
The stickiest of the icky
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: the 305
Age: 30
Posts: 451
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i am also 16, so i think i can help from a recent experience standpoint. i am pretty much the same way as you, i am smart and all, do what my parents ask me, behave well, the whole thing. my parents got me an 04 TL for my 16th birthday, and i appreciate it a ton and i am very thankful that my family is fortunate enough to be able to afford something like that for me. but aside from all that shit, let me tell you what i have determined in my 6 months of driving as a 16 year old-

you dont need a really nice car, really if i had to do it again i would rather a cheaper car in a stickshift. my friends all have cheaper, smaller cars than me, and they are just fine. i have found that i spend so much time and effort babying my car that a lot of times i miss out on some of the fun things that you can do with cheap cars without feeling bad, like doing burnouts or donuts or whatever. my best friend has an 04 celica that is awsum for him, it drives like shit but it gets the job done. it is small and nimble, it looks fast and is a toyota so it is pretty reliable. as far as chicks are concerned, the main thing is to get a car that looks fast. girls dont know shit abotu cars, if i lined up mine next to the celica not may chicks could tell me which one was faster, and if they could then they are probably ugly and not girly girls. having a really nice car has a lot of downsides- cops think you are a spoiled kid and they hate kids with lots of money, you are a target for thieves and shit cuz they know you are a young kid with lots of money, a lot of people hate seeing a kid in a nice car becuase they get jealous. right now i am just kind of listing htings off the top of my head, but the bottom line is this- if i were you i would get a stickshift acura rsx-s. it is fast, it is nimble, great build quality, looks beautiful. if i could do it all over i would have just gotten an rsx-s and saved my parents a ton of money. i still love my tl, no doubt, but getting a bmw really isnt worth it for the money and the headaches they cause.

what i have just said is observations, and looking at it from, lets say, a parents point of view, it might seem a bit immature or unfounded, and i might get flamed for some of the things i say, but as far as i can tell this is plain truth.
go4heat is offline  
Old 10-19-2004, 08:59 PM
  #9  
i souport publik edekason
 
Salut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Granada Hills, CA
Age: 48
Posts: 1,310
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh to be young again...

Cliff and Go4heat you sound like well adjusted young men... good for you sir...

Now as far as our young Ian...

Look little man (I'm not trying to hate - as it were)...
Your post shows your immaturity... and the reason that you, getting any car over $8000 is a waste of money is because as a young driver you are going to get into the inevitable fender bender and god forbid for you, a major accident... (I guarantee you this - mark my words)

Yes an argument can be made that you need something that is safe and secure and even though I believe that some cars under $10,000 can meet this criteria there are even more before you reach the $33,000 price tag of a TL and especially the M5 (about $100,000)...

I could continue...

Be glad that your parents love you enough that they are willing to buy you, even a BMW... (Do you know how many people don't have the luxury to provide a vehicle for their children let alone a BMW et al...)

In high school I drove a motorcycle, cuz that's all I could afford... I had to get my own vehicle, insurance, gas, etc...

Repose...
Be thankful...
Be humble...
Be patient...
Be good...

sorry for the preaching... but I hope you understand I speak from experience... (I know I probably sound like your parents...)

Regards
Salut
Ciao
Salut is offline  
Old 10-19-2004, 09:10 PM
  #10  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Age: 31
Posts: 1,640
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
WOW, going to bed at 1130? I was up consistently till 1-130 AM last year (junior year) and it is much of the same this year. As for your parents, don't beg them and dont ask people for donations i mean who are your kidding? Do your work and if they said they would get u a car after you finish their requirements then there is a good chance that you will. Yes, my parents got me a TL, a car that sometimes I think/know I do not deserve, but with the car comes huge responsibility as well. You are looking at it all wrong right now, taking for granted that your parents will give you a car. For me I had my eyes set on the TL since the concept was released in NY, but I knew that it was a reach for my parents to get it for me. I asked them if I could get an Accord in fact, but my dad had seen my obsession with the TL for months and asked why I didnt ask for the TL. I told him that it was too expensive for us and too much for a first car. I got really lucky in the end that both my parents really liked the TL and my mom wanted to drive it around for a while. So that is how I got my TL not through begging or coercion/persuasion, but luck. i dont think I will ever be able to thank my parents enough for getting it for me, maybe I can when I am older and making my own living, but for now I just have to keep saying thanks. So basically, what I am trying to embark in you is in the end it comes down to what kind of person you are. Getting good grades is good, but at the same time make sure u respect your parents and not take their generosity for granted.
ryder1650 is offline  
Old 10-19-2004, 10:30 PM
  #11  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Southern Cali
Posts: 1,091
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LOL M5 I mean i could see of your parents are loaded but if your mom drives a TL they prop are not. and if they were they prob would have gotten you an M5 on your 16th birthday. Sounds like you need a reality check.
ferrari527 is offline  
Old 10-19-2004, 10:40 PM
  #12  
Senior Moderator
 
Ken1997TL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Better Neighborhood, Arizona
Posts: 45,427
Thanked 2,150 Times in 1,226 Posts
Wow and I thought I was hot shit and spoiled for getting to use an Accord at your age..




You want an M5? Go find a job and buy it yourself. If they were to buy such a vehicle for you, I'd call it VERY bad parenting.

So no, I have no pity for you. In fact, this thread's only redeeming value is the maturity shown by the other posters.
Ken1997TL is online now  
Old 10-19-2004, 10:42 PM
  #13  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 3,631
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
man kid get ready for the flames that are going to come. an M5??? you gotta be nuts kid. that is a 6 figure car. if your mom is driving a TL i doubt your parents are in the ball park for a M5.
caball88 is offline  
Old 10-19-2004, 10:48 PM
  #14  
The Oracle of Acurazine!
 
Teh Jatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Fresno, CA
Age: 35
Posts: 28,697
Thanked 26 Times in 8 Posts
why r u guys judging that his family can't afford m5? just cuz his mom drives 04tl? that doenst make sense alright but yeah he doesnt deserve m5.
Teh Jatt is offline  
Old 10-19-2004, 10:55 PM
  #15  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Age: 48
Posts: 187
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Uh... please read cause I care... my first car was a 1969 three door Honda beater that I had to put oil and fluids in every day. It only lasted a few weeks before it blew up. I did my best to try and take care of it but I was grateful that my parents got me anything. They felt bad so they got me a 1978 Z-28.

Speaking as a parent, friend, and from personal experience. You don't even want to go down the road your taking.

First of all... think of the expenses of owning an M5. Can you really afford the insurance? Can you afford to get new brakes and tires when you need them? Lastly... every teenager including myself has been in at least one accident. Do you really want to crack up a nice car like that? And if you do... Do you think you can afford the repair bill? Heck I just got my 04 TL three months ago and a rock hit my sunroof and shattered the glass! I had to pay $720 to get it fixed. That just kills your pocket book. I don't care how much you or your parents make... thatís hard earned money that just went down the tubes.

I got another story... I was working part time making money and trying to take care of my Z-28 and my brakes wore out. It was so bad they dug in to the rotors. I had a $400 repair bill on my hands. It broke my bank and mom and dad did not help me. It sucked when it happen, but you know what... this lesson taught me something very important in life. Responsibility! It's very expensive to live and takes hard work to make money.
Sometimes you don't want to spend it on crap like broken things, but you have to cause crap happens.

Your parents may not be there for you every day. I know some friends that lost their parents. You should be happy they are there to take care of you and give you such nice things. DON"T take them for granted! And get use to not using them as a crutch cause if or when they are gone you won't know how live. That's part of learning to be an adult... another note... you never stop learning how to be an adult.

So, I know you may not understand today. I was a teen also and I did not understand then. Also, I'm sure parents have said this to you. But all I can say is try to open up your mind and it will make yourself a better person doing so. It will also make you a better adult. There are so many factors you don't have to deal with yet... and you should not need to deal with them. All you need to do is work hard at school, having safe fun with friends, and think about girls. For now... take advantage of those things because they won't last but a few more years... and be happy with whats given to you. I think your parents want you to really enjoy this time. I may be wrong, but I think thats why your parents don't want you to get a job right now. You have the rest of your life to get a job... don't be in a hurry you will regret it.

Oh one more thing about your day... LOL... it gets harder kid! Add... getting up, getting your kid ready for school, make breakfast, pack lunch for them and make sure they have homework done, go to work 8-5... not to mention any overtime you boss wants you to work.... then pick up the kids from school, pay the bills, balance you checking, taking your kids to soccer, ballet, etc... perpair dinner, do laundery, yardwork, take trash out, wash dishes, vacume floors, clean bathrooms, windows, getting repairs done on your house, your car need I go on.... because I can add a lot more to this list. All of which cost money and time to plan and do. I'm lucky to get an evening to spend with a friend, wife, or even myself. Like I said... you BETTER enjoy it while you still can! You don't have much time left.

If you want to get and idea of how your parents do the bills and how much it cost every month to live just ask! I bet they would be happy to show you and I bet you would be pretty suprised. Income VS how much is needed every month to live.
Tuetatesu is offline  
Old 10-20-2004, 12:44 AM
  #16  
Registered Member
 
eyesnake02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: OR
Posts: 367
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it's not true all teenagers get into accident I got my licenese when I was 16 and now im 22 and never had an accident.
eyesnake02 is offline  
Old 10-20-2004, 12:49 AM
  #17  
Teh ?
 
Junkster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Denver, CO
Age: 40
Posts: 12,784
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wow... this is the youth we deal with...

Junkster, who would have gotten his ass whupped if he asked for something like that

edit: I was almost tempted to give this kid a neg rep point... but he's just a kid
Junkster is offline  
Old 10-20-2004, 12:51 AM
  #18  
Registered Member
 
Raheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 11,002
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AcuraTLjatt559
why r u guys judging that his family can't afford m5? just cuz his mom drives 04tl? that doenst make sense alright but yeah he doesnt deserve m5.

His mom drives a 99 TL, and I am not saying that proves anything, because my Dad Drives a Old Maxima, because he is not into cars, and we can afford nice cars, so I am not saying we can all judge if his family can afford it, but I am sure if his daddy was loaded up the ass and could get him a BRAND NEW M5, that they woulda already done it, and not waited, but who knows I could be wrong
Raheel is offline  
Old 10-20-2004, 12:53 AM
  #19  
Registered Member
 
Raheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 11,002
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ianbiz3
Hey guys, as many of you know I am 16 years old, and live in Florida, I have been 16 for over 6months now.

Since I turned 16, I have been wanting a car. I have done what ever my parents wanted me to. My dad said if I got all A's in my junior year (this year) I could get a BMW. He didn't specify which one, all along I thought I was going to get a M5. The other day I was showing my brother one and he says I wasn't going to buy you a M5 I was going to buy you a 318i. I was like wtf and wanted to punch him. But i held myself back.

I want a BMW 3seris, I find these cars quite nice, and my mom has a TL so I will drive it when I want. I have been find 01+ for around 20grand.

This is what I need help with.
I need ideas/techniques to get the message across to my parents that I need a car, and they should buy it for me.

I asked them if I could get a job, they said no. They only sources of income I have is lunch money, and my computer building which hardly noone wants a computer from me
I am starting a "fund" for myself, its called the "help Ian buy a car fund", if anyone wants to donate let me know.

I have worked my ass off trying to get in shape and do good in school. School comes first of course which I dont know about anymore. I get home at 4:30 from school, eat for 15- 30mins and then do homework untill around 5:45 / 6, then I go roadbiking. Get back at 7, shower and snack on something until about 7:30, then do more homework untill I am done. I ussally get done around 10 or 11. If I dont finish all of it by 11:30 I wake up at 4:30 - 5 to do the rest. I go thru this everyday.

Can you guys please help me??

I will be serious unlike others here, they are making fun of you, but I will help you out.

ROB A BANK!!! Might sound funny but I am serious, take the Porsche that your neighbor owns and take it 100+ like you claimed he let you, and drive to the bank and rob them.
Raheel is offline  
Old 10-20-2004, 01:39 AM
  #20  
Senior Moderator
 
Ken1997TL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Better Neighborhood, Arizona
Posts: 45,427
Thanked 2,150 Times in 1,226 Posts
I would have had more luck with banks than asking my parents for an M5
Ken1997TL is online now  
Old 10-20-2004, 02:06 AM
  #21  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Gainesville FL
Age: 34
Posts: 58
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ianbiz, why dont u respond to my first post...

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...627#post985627


i cant belive u actually said that u wanted to punch ur dad for not buying u an m5...man, ur dad should beat ur ass for that stupid comment. Theres nothing wrong with a 318 for a first car. Man, and theres absolutly nothing wrong with ur parents buying u a m5, but u actually had to hold back from punching ur dad cause he wouldnt buy u one?

heres my advice- ask for a toyota supra...then go from there

-ALex

no, nm, u dont deserve a supra
Lexie330ci is offline  
Old 10-20-2004, 02:10 AM
  #22  
Senior Moderator
 
Ken1997TL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Better Neighborhood, Arizona
Posts: 45,427
Thanked 2,150 Times in 1,226 Posts


A BMW 318 is a good car to start off with. Assuming its reliable, it'll be a good experience for you as they are relatively simple, safe and fun to drive.
Ken1997TL is online now  
Old 10-20-2004, 02:10 AM
  #23  
All about JDM
 
982.5TL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: FL
Age: 35
Posts: 1,137
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What the fuck is your problem? Your dad said a 318 and u wanted to punch him in the face? Beggers cant be choosers ass hole, you should be glad and appreciative of any car your parents decide to buy you.
My advice? Bust your ass and keep up your good grades. Show your parents that you aren't expecting to have a car and that whatever car they give you will be considered a great gift from them. I mean what the hell, its a fuckin car. And like Sids said, don't say anything at all about it and do everything to earn whatever they decide to give you.
You need to grow up Ian.
982.5TL is offline  
Old 10-20-2004, 04:16 AM
  #24  
I keeps it real
 
GoDucksCLSPride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Tempe, Arizona
Age: 40
Posts: 6,897
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
The civility in this thread is amazing. Evidently this kid's concerns are realistic to some and have even earned supportive commentary. I can respect that. However, IMHO, this kid is too naive for words.

I wont give you that BS about how my first car was older than me and i bought it myself, etc. etc.. It is pointless to make that comparison because you have no need to understand it. Your parents can provide well for you and that is all you will choose to see.

However, it sickens me that you have the odacity to complain about the provisions you are given. Especially to the degree you've taken it. You wanted to punch your dad for refusing to buy you a car that common folks work a lifetime and still cannot afford. Caniving, ignorant punks like you make me want to puke. Be appreciative of what you have. There are many out there who are appreciative of just having a meal that day. Once upon a time, i was one of them.

The most interesting part of your post is how you list the responsibilities you've taken on to prove to your parents you are deserving. That is commendable of you to try to earn (in a spoiled rotten rich kid sort of way) these possesions instead of expect them. However, you piss all over any shade of respect you've earned by telling us you wanted to punch your dad for not meeting your demands. So basically, your responsibility isnt sincere. Specifically, your actions say: ill work my ass off but i have my own expectation in return. If i am not returned that expectation, FUCK YOU!!

You disgust me..

GoDucksCLSPride is offline  
Old 10-20-2004, 12:44 PM
  #25  
Who cares
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: lockport il
Age: 57
Posts: 927
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6131
here is one for you
I bought all my cars on my own and my kids will/are too. They seem to care a little more about things when it thier money instead of mine!! I am not saying that its that way all the time some kids do show respect for a nice gift..... but most I have seen do not
04acura tl is offline  
Old 10-20-2004, 01:01 PM
  #26  
never stops!
 
JoganJani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Bay area, CA
Posts: 2,531
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Do you know the price differance in 318 and M5? It's about 4-5 times. Feel lucky that your dad is buying you a car and that too BMW. Do not push your luck else you'll have to ride on a skate board to school.
JoganJani is offline  
Old 10-20-2004, 01:22 PM
  #27  
On the way!
 
fla-tls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Orlando, FL
Age: 50
Posts: 3,715
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow - I can't believe this thread. If I were offered a 318i when I was 16 I would have passed out from excitement - then woken up realizing it was all a dream. The arrogance/stupidity/naivety/immaturity you have to have in wanting to punch your dad because he didn't automatically assume you wanted a 100k M5 car is beyond my comprehension. I assume you want to puch all of us as well for not giving you the responses you wanted?

The only person who "deserves" an M5 is the one who shows up with his or her own cash to buy one.

Take the 318i (if it's even still up for offer) be grateful. You'll probably wreck it within a year.

/FLAMEOFF
fla-tls is offline  
Old 10-20-2004, 02:01 PM
  #28  
Moderator Alumnus
 
ArN 2000 TL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Nassau County, NY
Posts: 2,590
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Astroboy
wow, and i thought i had read it all on the internet.
ArN 2000 TL is offline  
Old 10-20-2004, 02:20 PM
  #29  
Senior Moderator
 
Shoofin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Brooklyn, NY USA
Age: 42
Posts: 17,048
Thanked 679 Times in 299 Posts
Are you frikkin kidding me? They are offering to GIVE you a car and you have the nerve to make demands?? If I were your parents I'd shove my foot so far up your ass I would only hope my shoe doesn't get stuck there..GEEZ you've got some issues, man! So you get an M5 now....what's next? a TL? Get something that expensive, I'll be damn sure you wouldn't want anything cheaper or less "exclusive" than a BMW. So then what? By the time you're 25 you're going to be driving a $150,000 benz?
Shoofin is offline  
Old 10-20-2004, 02:24 PM
  #30  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Age: 48
Posts: 187
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
He's a teenager for goodness sake... enough said... give the boy a break for letting out some normal hormonal teenage emotions.

Most of us have done and said stupid things when we were teens. I bet you can't remember the stupid things you said. lol
Tuetatesu is offline  
Old 10-20-2004, 02:28 PM
  #31  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Southern Cali
Posts: 1,091
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 04acura tl
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6131
here is one for you
I bought all my cars on my own and my kids will/are too. They seem to care a little more about things when it thier money instead of mine!! I am not saying that its that way all the time some kids do show respect for a nice gift..... but most I have seen do not
waaay to nice for this kid.
this is more like it
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...495458478&rd=1
ferrari527 is offline  
Old 10-20-2004, 02:32 PM
  #32  
Senior Moderator
 
Ken1997TL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Better Neighborhood, Arizona
Posts: 45,427
Thanked 2,150 Times in 1,226 Posts
Originally Posted by Tuetatesu
He's a teenager for goodness sake... enough said... give the boy a break for letting out some normal hormonal teenage emotions.

Most of us have done and said stupid things when we were teens. I bet you can't remember the stupid things you said. lol
I think his parents have let him get away with too much already, he sounds spoiled and someday reality will come crashing down.

Normal teenage emotions? Sure. But usually a level headed parent is there to counter that.
Ken1997TL is online now  
Old 10-20-2004, 02:40 PM
  #33  
Senior Moderator
 
Shoofin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Brooklyn, NY USA
Age: 42
Posts: 17,048
Thanked 679 Times in 299 Posts
Shoofin is offline  
Old 10-20-2004, 02:41 PM
  #34  
Registered Member
 
Raheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 11,002
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tuetatesu
Uh... please read cause I care... my first car was a 1969 three door Honda beater that I had to put oil and fluids in every day. It only lasted a few weeks before it blew up. I did my best to try and take care of it but I was grateful that my parents got me anything. They felt bad so they got me a 1978 Z-28.

Speaking as a parent, friend, and from personal experience. You don't even want to go down the road your taking.

First of all... think of the expenses of owning an M5. Can you really afford the insurance? Can you afford to get new brakes and tires when you need them? Lastly... every teenager including myself has been in at least one accident. Do you really want to crack up a nice car like that? And if you do... Do you think you can afford the repair bill? Heck I just got my 04 TL three months ago and a rock hit my sunroof and shattered the glass! I had to pay $720 to get it fixed. That just kills your pocket book. I don't care how much you or your parents make... thatís hard earned money that just went down the tubes.

I got another story... I was working part time making money and trying to take care of my Z-28 and my brakes wore out. It was so bad they dug in to the rotors. I had a $400 repair bill on my hands. It broke my bank and mom and dad did not help me. It sucked when it happen, but you know what... this lesson taught me something very important in life. Responsibility! It's very expensive to live and takes hard work to make money.
Sometimes you don't want to spend it on crap like broken things, but you have to cause crap happens.

Your parents may not be there for you every day. I know some friends that lost their parents. You should be happy they are there to take care of you and give you such nice things. DON"T take them for granted! And get use to not using them as a crutch cause if or when they are gone you won't know how live. That's part of learning to be an adult... another note... you never stop learning how to be an adult.

So, I know you may not understand today. I was a teen also and I did not understand then. Also, I'm sure parents have said this to you. But all I can say is try to open up your mind and it will make yourself a better person doing so. It will also make you a better adult. There are so many factors you don't have to deal with yet... and you should not need to deal with them. All you need to do is work hard at school, having safe fun with friends, and think about girls. For now... take advantage of those things because they won't last but a few more years... and be happy with whats given to you. I think your parents want you to really enjoy this time. I may be wrong, but I think thats why your parents don't want you to get a job right now. You have the rest of your life to get a job... don't be in a hurry you will regret it.

Oh one more thing about your day... LOL... it gets harder kid! Add... getting up, getting your kid ready for school, make breakfast, pack lunch for them and make sure they have homework done, go to work 8-5... not to mention any overtime you boss wants you to work.... then pick up the kids from school, pay the bills, balance you checking, taking your kids to soccer, ballet, etc... perpair dinner, do laundery, yardwork, take trash out, wash dishes, vacume floors, clean bathrooms, windows, getting repairs done on your house, your car need I go on.... because I can add a lot more to this list. All of which cost money and time to plan and do. I'm lucky to get an evening to spend with a friend, wife, or even myself. Like I said... you BETTER enjoy it while you still can! You don't have much time left.

If you want to get and idea of how your parents do the bills and how much it cost every month to live just ask! I bet they would be happy to show you and I bet you would be pretty suprised. Income VS how much is needed every month to live.
with everything you just said, live life to the fullest, and appreciate what you got, and compare yourself to people in third world countries, dont ask for more than you need, live life, and when you grow up and make your own money, you can buy all the M5's you want.

Originally Posted by 04acura tl
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6131
here is one for you
I bought all my cars on my own and my kids will/are too. They seem to care a little more about things when it thier money instead of mine!! I am not saying that its that way all the time some kids do show respect for a nice gift..... but most I have seen do not

That car for him would be crazy, all the repair costs! I would rather get a 95-96 Accord for same price and have a reliable car with somewhat not high miles

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
I think his parents have let him get away with too much already, he sounds spoiled and someday reality will come crashing down.

Normal teenage emotions? Sure. But usually a level headed parent is there to counter that.

I dont believe that Teenage Emotions stuff, Just cuz your young doesnt mean you can just get away with things, I admit under 8-10 years old, most dont have the brains to know right from wrong and etc, but hes 16, come on, he has the brains to know what he is saying, and he is saying he wants to punch his dad :wtf:, with all the life he gave you and took care of you, and now buying u a 318i, and now you want to punch him, man people like you give us kids a bad name.
Raheel is offline  
Old 10-20-2004, 02:50 PM
  #35  
100k miles club
 
w1n78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 909, CA
Age: 40
Posts: 2,297
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Give Ian a break...

I was 16 once and had a tough decision on whether my dad will buy me a Benz or a BMW. BUT THEN I WOKE UP.

Now in the real world where most of us live, when I was 16 the worse of my concerns were:
1) How can I leave campus to go out for lunch?
2) I'm late, how will I fake a pass so that the teacher won't mess with me?
3) Damn, I got "A" lunch and all my friends got "B" lunch
4) Man I hope they don't take away my pager or cell phone
5) How can I get with her and hope the other (fill in amount) girls don't find out
6) she's hot, hope there's a slight wind that blows

The reason why I never worried about cars was coz if I had one, I'd end up being a driver. To trade my worries now for my worries back in high school :sigh:

Accept whatever you get. But be warned, once you get a car in high school, you'll either be a chaufer or lose friends

PS - Can anyone relate to my list? Damn, I miss school!
w1n78 is offline  
Old 10-20-2004, 03:13 PM
  #36  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Age: 48
Posts: 187
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by w1n78
I was 16 once and had a tough decision on whether my dad will buy me a Benz or a BMW. BUT THEN I WOKE UP.

Now in the real world where most of us live, when I was 16 the worse of my concerns were:
1) How can I leave campus to go out for lunch?
2) I'm late, how will I fake a pass so that the teacher won't mess with me?
3) Damn, I got "A" lunch and all my friends got "B" lunch
4) Man I hope they don't take away my pager or cell phone
5) How can I get with her and hope the other (fill in amount) girls don't find out
6) she's hot, hope there's a slight wind that blows

The reason why I never worried about cars was coz if I had one, I'd end up being a driver. To trade my worries now for my worries back in high school :sigh:

Accept whatever you get. But be warned, once you get a car in high school, you'll either be a chaufer or lose friends

PS - Can anyone relate to my list? Damn, I miss school!
HAHA LOL... so true.
Tuetatesu is offline  
Old 10-20-2004, 03:30 PM
  #37  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Rockledge, Florida
Age: 30
Posts: 1,278
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ok, I was hoping i was going to get a M5 at the end of my junior year.

i am pretty sure my parents could buy a M5 if they wanted to, but they spend too much money in other places.

my mom drives a 99TL, my dad drives a 04 4runner which cost $35k and he should have gotten the Z he wanted.




I am not spoiled, I work very hard at almost everything I do. Rich, but not spoiled.

I want a 00+ Bmw 325i any color.

I don't hang out with the "jocks" like I did last year, I hang out with a select few now. Education is more imporant than popularity to me right now.

I couldn't ride my skate board or bike to school cause its 30miles away. I would love to roadbike to school, but it would never happen.

All I want for Christmas and for my birthday present is this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...495485356&rd=1

I would be happy with a TL.

I don't mean to sound like a stuck up rich kid if thats what you guys think, casue I am not stuck up.
Ianbiz3 is offline  
Old 10-20-2004, 03:32 PM
  #38  
The Oracle of Acurazine!
 
Teh Jatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Fresno, CA
Age: 35
Posts: 28,697
Thanked 26 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Tuetatesu
He's a teenager for goodness sake... enough said... give the boy a break for letting out some normal hormonal teenage emotions.

Most of us have done and said stupid things when we were teens. I bet you can't remember the stupid things you said. lol
so give him a break guys.
Teh Jatt is offline  
Old 10-20-2004, 03:41 PM
  #39  
TL no more!
 
WolfpackBill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Clemmons, NC
Age: 36
Posts: 747
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wow!! This thread is awesome.

I was 16 once so here are my

Be happy with what you'll be getting because you're still young. You will have plenty of opportunities to get your BMW M5 later in life. My first car was a '90 Accord. I had nothing to complain about becuase I knew I would get better cars and I did. '96 Explorer EB as my graduation present in 2000 and now, a TL.

Heh...if I was your dad and found out that you wanted to punch me b/c you were expecting an M5 but you'll be getting a 318i instead, I will say forget getting a car at all, let alone a BMW. That is the most disrespectful thing to say or do. Like others, I would also shove my foot up your ass but instead, let my shoe stuck up there and make you pay for a new pair of shoes. So be grateful that you're getting a BMW.
WolfpackBill is offline  
Old 10-20-2004, 04:04 PM
  #40  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Rockledge, Florida
Age: 30
Posts: 1,278
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for caring.

But many people under understand what driving means to me.
Ianbiz3 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need LOTS of help, big problem, advice needed(parents would be more helpful)


Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.