Got shot at by an AK-47 yesterday... (pics on page 12)

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 03:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Silver™
He's lucky they weren't professional terrorists like these guys:

The Lybians!!!!! Run for it Marty!!!
Old 06-15-2006, 03:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
On behalf of Florida, I would just like to say........... that, whether this story is Gospel Truth or total BS, if it keeps some tourists from coming down and jamming up our roads, it has served a useful purpose.

Now, to the law. There are so many, I don't know where to start. And all are serious felonies.

Firstly, Florida is "Right to Carry" state which means we don't register firearms. People can carry them in plain view. Federal laws DO apply in Florida, so that means that one must get a background check when purchasing a firearm and wait three days (for a handgun) unless they have CCW (Concealed Weapons Permit). These permits MUST be issued to any law-abiding citizen who asks for one after they take a 5 hour gun safety course. For rifles, semi-auto like this one? Very few restrictions and no registration required. In fact, they sell them at K-Mart and WalMart.

No, you don't have to be a Florida resident to get a Florida CCW. You can get it by mail from other states/jurisdictions. They are accepted by about 20 other states that have reciprocal agreements with Florida. In Florida, it is illegal to

1) discharge a firearm across a public roadway (misd 1)
2) shoot into an occupied conveyance (Felony 2)
3) attempt to murder someone (Felony 1)
4) possessing a firearm during the commission of a Felony (Felony 2)

In addition, the penalty provisions of Florida Statutes contain a 10-20-LIFE provision. If you carry a weapon during the commission or a crime, there is a mandatory 10 year sentence. If you fire it: mandatory 20 years. If you injure someone when you fire it: LIFE.

Federal law prohibits possession of a firearm by a convicted felon whose rights have not been restored. Florida law tracks the Federal law in this regard with additional higher penalties for violent repeat offenders.

I am not surprised that a rural Grouper-Trooper would not know what to do and his supervisor is probably miles away behind a desk. But, if the OCSO was there, they have a professional, experienced department.

Normally, this would be the biggest bust either of them had had years -if ever. Foreigners* with an AK-47 look-alike that shot into an occupied vehicle?

In all cases, where you have a crime and a weapon is involved, the officers SHOULD impound the weapon immediately, send it to the lab for ballistics comparison with open cases, and a check of its pedigree.

If it went down as Rob described, this is an embarrassment to Law Enforcement, Florida, and the entire "War on Terror".

*Anyone not from Orange County and/or with brown skin.
Old 06-15-2006, 05:09 PM
On the way!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What Xpditor said!
Old 06-15-2006, 05:11 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
He's lucky it wasnt an AK-74
It wouldn't have made much difference even it was a 74' instead of a 47'. It would have been a bit more zippy, and produced a smaller hole. Now, if it was a 74' loaded with true 5.45x39, like the surplus Russian 7N6 rounds coming into the U.S. right now, yes, it may have entered his leg and couple of other places on his body. These rounds contain the hollow cavity which causes the round to yaw drastically upon entering human tissue. Chances are though, it would have burst the cavity upon hitting the door, and lodged somewhere just inside the door. Regular 5.45x39 (Wolf for example) is no more devastating than 7.62x39.

I just want to know what will happen to the gun in question.
Old 06-15-2006, 05:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
Originally Posted by Vredh
It wouldn't have made much difference even it was a 74' instead of a 47'. It would have been a bit more zippy, and produced a smaller hole. Now, if it was a 74' loaded with true 5.45x39, like the surplus Russian 7N6 rounds coming into the U.S. right now, yes, it may have entered his leg and couple of other places on his body. These rounds contain the hollow cavity which causes the round to yaw drastically upon entering human tissue. Chances are though, it would have burst the cavity upon hitting the door, and lodged somewhere just inside the door. Regular 5.45x39 (Wolf for example) is no more devastating than 7.62x39.

I just want to know what will happen to the gun in question.
Old 06-15-2006, 05:25 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
Oh hell yes. I don't think I would want a round entering my chest and coming out just behind my jaw. That's just no fun at all.
Old 06-15-2006, 05:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Oh hell yes. I don't think I would want a round entering my chest and coming out just behind my jaw. That's just no fun at all.
Its not a pretty sight, i'll say that much.
Old 06-15-2006, 05:40 PM
On the way!

I just checked out that round and they say that it's comparable to the M198 round (52 grain and 2950 fps vs. 3200fps for the M198). It was fielded in Russia as NATO was developing the SS109/M855 round (62 grain/3000 fps). It tumbles just as easily, but falls short of the western round because it doesn't tend to break apart in soft tissue at close ranges. Apparently it's a little better at going through kevlar than the M855.

+1 for the M16/AR15?
Old 06-15-2006, 05:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by fla-tls
I just checked out that round and they say that it's comparable to the M198 round (52 grain and 2950 fps vs. 3200fps for the M198). It was fielded in Russia as NATO was developing the SS109/M855 round (62 grain/3000 fps). It tumbles just as easily, but falls short of the western round because it doesn't tend to break apart in soft tissue at close ranges. Apparently it's a little better at going through kevlar than the M855.

+1 for the M16/AR15?
Well the round is meant to defeat Kevlar which was becoming standard issue among NATO troops at the time of its development.
Old 06-15-2006, 05:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
.22s play ping pong too, not fun.

Mike
Old 06-15-2006, 05:45 PM
6th Gear

+1 for the M16/AR15?
+1 for 5.56round....-1 for the M-16/AR-15 platform. The 5.56 does tend to fragment quite nicely. I will give it that. As for the rifle, I've always been torn. I've never liked the look, and the fact that all the internals are so close together. Unlike an AK, it will not function 100% reliably in a harsh climate without a lot of maintenance. They may be fanatic, they may be psychotic, but Middle Easterners know a dependable weapon when they see it. The M16 just doesn't cut it.

I'm a procrastinating bastard though. I have not owned an AR-15 for a number of years, and if I've got AKs, I may as well own another AR. Ooookay, time to jump back to the gun forums. Sorry folks, way off point.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:22 PM
Just the facts...

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
damn, work for 10 hours and get 30 questions...here it goes
Old 06-15-2006, 09:30 PM
Just the facts...

Originally Posted by Silver™
What is a Homeland Security officer?

What specific agency was he with?
O.P.D.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:45 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy
O.P.D.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:47 PM
On the way!

Orlando Police Department (OPD)
Orange County Sheriff's Department/Office (OCSD/OCSO)
Old 06-15-2006, 09:52 PM
Just the facts...

Originally Posted by kensteele
I'm not ready to give in yet, sorry you just gotta hang in there a little longer with me. Like I said, I do believe something happened, that is a weapon, not an AK-47, but just another firearm ok so we know there are firearms in FL, and that is a bullet hole. That's about all we know for sure.

With that, you guys are willing to believe those are Federal agents, that the weapon was properly registered to a Canadian citizen, that the shooter is felon, that the LEO on the scene forced the suspect to pay for damages on the spot using a firearm, that the LEO transfered a weapon to the victim who's background wasn't even checked out could be a criminal, that transfer was made on the side of the highway out of his trunk?

do you believe the shooter was linked to terrorism but carried a passport with him on the street? do you believe the evidence, the weapon, that was used for maybe even a possible crime, chain of custody of that evidence was lost by giving the weapon to the victim?

are you guys ready to believe all this or just some of this? I'm not quite ready to believe everything it so sorry if I'm still a doubter but I need more time...and more proof. I haven't seen the proof of everything yet. Maybe it will come, maybe it won't since this appears to have turned the corner. But somehow I get the feeling we are being hoodwinked. Maybe when the newspaper article or press come out....

I just think he got his facts all mixed up. For example, when he says the weapon checked out, what he probably meant was the system didn't show anything unusual on that weapon's serial number. But the way Ron says it, the serial number comes back properly registered to the shooter, who holds a Canadian passport.

I did post the question in an AK forum to get some feedback for those more knowledgeable about firearms than me (but it appears we have a lot of experts here).

We don't just have one or two laws violated here. There are at least a dozen violations across two country, not only by the police but by the shooter AND the victim (accepting ownership of a firearm not registered to you is a crime, I wouldn't have touched that weapon no matter what). Normally I would give in, but at this point I can't sign up to saying all those facts are "facts"....not yet.

Ron shot his truck and got in a little trouble. You answered all of Adam's questions, how about a couple of mine...but if you don't I understand since you guys think I'm being unfair to Ron.

And if you see all most posts disappear when the true indictments come down and this story breaks, I promise to wear one of those shirts and post my apology in it's place.
I do not believe the Muslim to be a terrorist at this time...But I do know that both of the guys were Muslim and acted similar to the way Farenheit 9/11 depicts Muslims. I don't think that this paticular gun was linked to a crime either.

The shooter is a felon, and has admitted to shooting the gun on the side of the road.
@ this time this is was the police are going after the guy for, posession of a firearm by a felon. The driver is choosing not to press charges.

As for running checks on the Gun and guys the quick tests or checks the officers all yeilded negative results for anything.

No, Ken and a few others, I did not shoot my truck, my 2003 Silverado is Red and has much bigger wheels on it... but that is beside the point.
That is the only 4 wheeled vehicle I own.

I think that attempts to answer the questions from that post
Old 06-15-2006, 09:54 PM
Just the facts...

Originally Posted by pebecl97
http://www.local6.com/news/9251962/detail.html

Police in Orlando, Fla., are searching for three men who went on an early-morning crime spree armed with an AK-47 assault rifle, shooting one person, according to a Local 6 News report.

Investigators said the men first shot and apparently robbed a man at the Palms Apartments on Mercy Drive early Monday.

The group then apparently traveled about two miles down the road and approached Damon Christopher and robbed him of money and a cell phone, Local 6 News reported.

"The guy with the AK was like, 'Shoot him,'" Christopher said. "When I ran back to the house, I told my wife to call the police."

Officers canvassed the area and there were no other reports of crimes.

The men are considered armed and dangerous and may be traveling in a Dodge Stratus sedan.

Police said they will attempt to track the men using the cell phones they stole from both victims.

The man shot at the Palms Apartments was transported to a local hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.

Anyone with information concerning these crimes is urged to call Crimeline at (800) 423-TIPS.

Watch Local 6 News for more on this story.

Ron, were they in a Stratus
nope, not my story, our assaliants were driving a green Kia
Old 06-15-2006, 09:54 PM
Team Owner

Orlando Police Department (OPD)
Orange County Sheriff's Department/Office (OCSD/OCSO)

When was the Orlando Police Department made an arm of the Department of Homeland Security?
Old 06-15-2006, 09:55 PM
I shave my change purse

Received 155 Likes on 87 Posts
Orlando Police Dept. = Local PD

Homeland Security Dept. = Federal

Which is it?
Old 06-15-2006, 09:57 PM
Team Owner

:ibCIAaledgedlygetsinvolved:
Old 06-15-2006, 10:00 PM
Just the facts...

i should also add you guys shouldn't be so quick to say the facts are all in, not just yet. but i will admit this. i thought there wasn't even a shooting but turns out i was wrong, can't dispute the weapon and the bullet hole. so if that is your truck, sorry to see it take on that kind of damage. and you're probably still a bit shaken, if that bullet had even struck you in the leg, there's a good chance it could have caused some serious damage, could have even been fatal. this is not some 22 bullet or a handgun bullet, you could have easily died from someone else's stupidity. so i apologize if i have in any way minizimed the pain and shock that you could be feeling from such a traumatic incident. i am being sincere here.

but i'd like more proof about the other stuff please. i can eat a little bit more crow yet but damn this one is going down a little hard.
Nope, here is my truck

No one was injured with the shooting...but after doing a ballistics test, taking a dowel about 2.5 feel and pushing it through the bullet hole, we were able to find where the bulled was lodged and also determine that the bullet grazed, just barely, the back of the drivers calf, which we had eariler dismissed as a scratch from plastic blown off from the door.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:02 PM
Just the facts...

oh snap! i thought that was the story just now coming down the wire!

can't be ron's story, facts don't match up. could be related tho i guess.
As of right now I do not know the story to be related, just coincidence
Old 06-15-2006, 10:04 PM
Just the facts...

Originally Posted by WILLDOGS
Orlando Police Dept. = Local PD

Homeland Security Dept. = Federal

Which is it?
If i remember correctly he is from the Homeland security dept. working with the O.P.D. but I could be wrong...I'll call and get the correct info from his card tomorow, too late now.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:07 PM
Just the facts...

Also I would have thought the bullet would fragment after going thru the metal door but Ron says the police recovered a [intact] bullet. Hmmmm......
Yes, the FBI did recover the intact bullet, and taken into evidence b/4 I was able to get my pic of it, so i got a pic of a pic.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:10 PM
Just the facts...

Originally Posted by soopa
there's yet to be proof of the details as the story was given.

if anything, most of what he said alongside his pictures contradicts the facts as presented.

like robb, you're another video gaming / im'ing pal of Big Dumbass...

i strike your opinion from the record
please point out where my pics contradict my story...I'll try and straighten them out
Old 06-15-2006, 10:11 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Unlike an AK, it will not function 100% reliably in a harsh climate without a lot of maintenance. They may be fanatic, they may be psychotic, but Middle Easterners know a dependable weapon when they see it. The M16 just doesn't cut it..
True, the AK handles mud better and simply stays reliable even when dirty........but a modern black rifle can be just about as reliable if cleaned multiple times per day. Overall platform design we know the AR/M16 wins due to the more modern design. The AR platform is simply a much more modular weapon system.

Let's not forget when the last round exits from the magazine in an AR, the bolt locks back. You just press the mag release, insert the new magazine and just hit the bolt release on the side of the receiver. With the AK, as we know you have pull the bolt back manually everytime a new mag is inserted. This being a major plus to the M16 while in the field.

I like both guns, so I have both.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:24 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I read (skimmed) through most of the thread and although very unbelieveable, the pictures serve as pretty good proof. Also, I can completely see the police acting that stupid...because most of them are that retarded and incompetent and ignorant.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:24 PM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Beltfed
True, the AK handles mud better and simply stays reliable even when dirty........but a modern black rifle can be just about as reliable if cleaned multiple times per day. Overall platform design we know the AR/M16 wins due to the more modern design. The AR platform is simply a much more modular weapon system.

Let's not forget when the last round exits from the magazine in an AR, the bolt locks back. You just press the mag release, insert the new magazine and just hit the bolt release on the side of the receiver. With the AK, as we know you have pull the bolt back manually everytime a new mag is inserted. This being a major plus to the M16 while in the field.

yeah i was pretty much gonna say what beltfed said but....he beat me to it.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:30 PM
Banned

please point out where my pics contradict my story...I'll try and straighten them out

Ron, your not going to convince everyone in this thread your story is real... some people will never be happy with what you tell them or with the pictures you show.

Like Xpditor said, its just another fawk up for the Law Enforcement in Florida, but what's new, no shocker there....
Old 06-15-2006, 10:35 PM
Just the facts...

How about this
Old 06-15-2006, 10:35 PM
Duck Fuke!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The shooter is a felon, and has admitted to shooting the gun on the side of the road.
@ this time this is was the police are going after the guy for, posession of a firearm by a felon. The driver is choosing not to press charges.

Is there any kind of reason the driver is not pressing charges against somebody who shot at him with an AK? WTF???????????????
Old 06-15-2006, 10:37 PM
Just the facts...

dosn't think it was intentional...
Old 06-15-2006, 10:43 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Beltfed

BHO magazines with an AK do much the same thing, especially if the selector lever is notched to hold the charging handle back.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:43 PM
On the way!

I understand, but the government (specifically the prosecutors office) is the one that decides whether or not to prosecute.

A law enforcement official does not, and should not, have the capacity to decide whether or not to prosecute. They should simply arrest if there is probable cause (which there was) and let the system handle the rest.

The law enforcement officials here were SEVERELY lacking in their enforcement.

I bet they don't ever get that guy back for prosecution...

I'm inclined to contact the press about this tomorrow - but I encourage you to do that on your own, Ron. Law enforcement was sadly lacking and needs to be called out for it.

This is post 9/11.....

Last edited by fla-tls; 06-15-2006 at 10:46 PM.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:44 PM
Duck Fuke!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Id like to believe you, but the whole story stinks.

Your pics show

1) a gun

2) a bullet hole

3) cops

4) and a felony receipt for a gun you said the driver gets to keep

Just admit you guys were drunk, shot your freinds truck and the neighbors called the cops and they took your gun.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe it was actually Dick Cheney who shot him. The AK-47 wielding Arabs were just a quick ruse concocted by the Secret Service to cover the VP's tracks.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
Old 06-15-2006, 11:03 PM
Moderator Alumnus

BHO magazines with an AK do much the same thing, especially if the selector lever is notched to hold the charging handle back.
That's true, use Falcon arms followers or whatever.......regardless a BHO feature (to me) is important. Especially when using high cap mags.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:04 PM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
How about this
i believe you dude. seriously ignore the haters. as i was telling my aloe plant this morning, no one deserves to be violated with a tire iron.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:45 PM
Banned

i give you the benefit of the doubt

Quick Reply: Got shot at by an AK-47 yesterday... (pics on page 12)