AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   AcuraZine's Hall of Fame (https://acurazine.com/forums/acurazines-hall-fame-284/)
-   -   Burnt....broken.......but I'm ALIVE. ----> Pics on Page 1 **56K Beware** (https://acurazine.com/forums/acurazines-hall-fame-284/burnt-broken-but-im-alive-pics-page-1-%2A%2A56k-beware%2A%2A-161459/)

18anatak 11-22-2004 12:51 AM

Burnt....broken.......but I'm ALIVE. ----> Pics on Page 1 **56K Beware**

Tonight as I write this story, I am thanking the Lord above. This could have very easily (and almost was) the last day of my life. For all the people that wanted to put money into the "When Katana will crash on a bike" contest, if you had picked Sunday, November 21st, you would have won. I just spent the past 10 hours in an emergency room. And I am lucky to be able to tell this story to you guys.

I was coming from my friend Brandon's (bdiddycl) house. Perfect weather, warm out, just a nice day to go for a ride. While going home on I-4, I was speeding a little bit. I was going about 100mph in a 65. There werent too many cars around me, and I was just cruising. Without warning, the engine blows up. It just blew up and started spewing hot oil all over my legs. Then it caught on fire. With me on it. This was the absolute WORST PAIN I HAVE EVER FELT. I thought I was going to crash and die and burn to death. I was in the middle lane and I couldnt jump off to get away from the fire. I mean, I could have, but then I would have been instant roadkill. So I slam on the brakes and veer off into the median so I could have some grass to at least help me out instead of just concrete. I lost control of the bike at about 40mph. I flew off and slammed headfirst into a concrete portion and then bounced on my chest, and then flipped a few more times until I finally landed in the grass. I guess me flying off and rolling into the grass put the fire out that was on my legs. If I had not been wearing a helmet, I would have died. I got up, definently shaken, and the pain was incredible. All the hot oil was still on my legs and my shorts were basically burnt to a crisp. Then the bike exploded about 15 feet from me. Not a big explosion, but enough so that pieces went flying everywhere and that the bike looked like one big bonfire. From the time to when the engine caught on fire and the bike blowing up, about 8 seconds went by. It felt like hours.

Now people are starting to pull off to the side of the road to help me out. I am definently not ok. My whole lower half is burnt, and I'm having trouble breathing. Police arrive. Fire trucks arrive. Ambulance comes on the scene. 2 undercover cops who I passed on the highway are yelling at me. A state trooper asks them what they saw, and they said I passed them at a high rate of speed and was driving like a maniac. There is some truth to that, I was going faster than the limit, but I wasnt doing any crazy weaving in and out, just driving nonchalontly. They say they think I wrecked the bike first, and then it caught on fire. I said its not possible, since I would have road rash all over me, not serious burns.

I call whoever I can think of....my friend Brian, Brandon, and my Dad. All of them rush to the scene. Brian also took a lot of pics on his camera phone, and as soon as I get a chance, I will post them. The paramedics took one look at the bike, at the skid marks, at what I told them happened, and at my helmet, and they all said the same thing. I was lucky to be alive, and they couldnt believe I wasnt dead. They did say I reacted and did the best thing possible by veering into the median, even though I was engulfed in flames at the time. If I had jumped off the bike at 100mph, on fire no less, I would have been scraped off the ground with a shovel they told me.

So on the way to the hospital it becomes apparent that I have 2nd, maybe 3rd degree burns on the backsides of both legs and calves, a concussion, and might have broken ribs along with a punctured lung. I was having difficulty breathing and felt really faint, like I was going to pass out. I get to the hospital, and all I see and hear is "Is that our motorcycle victim" and I see about 20 people prepared to work on me. They cut all my clothes off and treated me. Incredible, incredible, and I mean out of this world pain. I have never felt so bad before in my life. After they bandaged me and put all kinda tubes and wires on me, I have to go get X-rayed. Then I got an EKG. Then CAT scans. Luckily I find out that my ribs arent broken and my lung isnt punctured. Just really sore from hitting the concrete at that speed, along with my weight.

Then the news gets out to other family and friends, and everybody was going crazy. I had a lot of people out in the waiting room to see me. The trooper comes in and gives me a ticket for Reckless Driving along with a court date. Then the doctors come in, check me out, hear my story, and listen to what the paramedics told them, and even they said "You are lucky to be alive." One of the cops told me to go play the lottery, since I was the luckiest person he had ever seen. I spent about 10 hours in the ER.

So I have to go to court, and I will tell the truth about what happened. I'll play the hand I'm dealt. I know I was wrong for going faster, and I paid the price today. It just boggles me how the engine just blew up on me like that. And if I hadnt been wearing gear, I would have been done. Helmet saved my life for sure. Gloves helped protect my hands. But I was also only wearing a shirt and shorts since it was short trip, so I got screwed in that regard.

Looking back on it, it does amaze me how I survived. If I would see what happened to me on TV or something, I'd be willing to bet that the guy died or was either paralyzed. I am NEVER EVER going to get on a bike again. Today was the biggest wake-up call I ever had. I am done with bikes. My experience today was one for a lifetime.

Please do not turn this into a hate thread with a whole bunch of "I told you so" and "Got what you deserved", things of that nature. I know. While I was on fire and veering off the road about to fly off the bike, I thought that was it. I thought I was gonna die. I've never been in a situation where I honestly thought my life was coming to an end. Until today. I'm crying right now just typing this, I'm still so emotional. In the end I had a light concussion, 2nd degree burns over my legs, and bruises all over me from the fall. I am not looking forward to waking up in the morning.

Lucky for me, I'm at home tonight telling you this, and not in a morgue somewhere. I really am thankful to still be alive.

Eric

added pics to page 1 and re-hosted 11-23-04 - Jonesi

http://photos.imageevent.com/scottjo...6215ea5280.jpg
http://photos.imageevent.com/scottjo...7c165a380c.jpg
http://photos.imageevent.com/scottjo...90b4c1e30f.jpg
http://photos.imageevent.com/scottjo...ba18ef4b64.jpg
http://photos.imageevent.com/scottjo...d150184e67.jpg
http://photos.imageevent.com/scottjo...d1d23fd9f3.jpg
http://photos.imageevent.com/scottjo...e9ecc2b83b.jpg

steveo56 11-22-2004 12:54 AM

Someone was looking out for you. Glad your still alive man.

GeishaGirl 11-22-2004 12:59 AM

wow...that is crazy:nervous: but I am so glad to hear that you're alive Kats. Are they going to investigate into why the engine exploded? Even though you were speeding, wouldn't someone be liable for that type of malfunction? In any case, I hope your wounds heal quickly and you don't experience any more pain :)

TypeSAddict 11-22-2004 01:01 AM

Holy shit! Really glad you're alright, keep your head up. You're in my thoughts

EPS CL 11-22-2004 01:07 AM

Damn dude, glad you made it out alright.

Sarlacc 11-22-2004 01:07 AM

Happy that it was you able to make this post, and not bdiddy telling us we lost a member.

Shame it had to finally take getting fucked up to get the wake up people have been warning you about.

But I'm glad to hear you'll be around to whore it up with us ;)

GOOSE 11-22-2004 01:08 AM

Wow, incredible story. Glad to hear you're alive and ended up with only a few burns and such. Obviously coulda been worse.

Hopefully the emotional pain heals as quickly as the physical pain. Just count your blessings.

I'm sure everyone here wishes you well....

Sarlacc 11-22-2004 01:08 AM

Btw...did the winky get burnt :omg:

18anatak 11-22-2004 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by sarlacc23
Btw...did the winky get burnt :omg:

thanks all the concern guys.....and mr. winky almost did get burnt. my burns reach up until about 1.5 inches from my crotch.

Allout 11-22-2004 01:10 AM

Wow Eric. Reading what happened to you just gives me chills. Glad you're here to tell about it. So ironic that you were just going to sell the bike.

Sounds like you handled it the best way possible. And you are right, someone is looking out for you. Not sure if you're spiritual or not but we are pretty powerless in the overall scheme of things. We like to think we're in control but we're not.

I'm surprised that they let you out and didn't keep you overnight. Take care of yourself and get some rest.

EPS CL 11-22-2004 01:13 AM

Still though, I don't think that was right for the bike to catch fire like that. I'm sure Honda has some explaining to do.

But still, that is simple unbelievable. We're really glad you made it out alive buddy.

Smalls 11-22-2004 01:14 AM

Sorry to hear you wrecked the bike you were selling, glad to hear that you are OK and still alive.

pgatour1 11-22-2004 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by Katana18
thanks all the concern guys.....and mr. winky almost did get burnt. my burns reach up until about 1.5 inches from my crotch.

good thing Mr. winky only hangs an inch or so,

Hey man...I feel so cliche gay saying I am glad to hear you are OK.

but yeah, good thing you are. :D

Sarlacc 11-22-2004 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by pgatour1
Hey man...I feel so cliche gay saying I am glad to hear you are OK.

but yeah, good thing you are. :D

He LOVES you, he REALLY LOVES you!!!!!!! :cry:

thatguy 11-22-2004 01:24 AM

glad to hear you are OK man.

Smalls 11-22-2004 01:25 AM

PS

You said that you were selling the bike and something was wrong with it. Did this fire result from that problem??

farberstyle 11-22-2004 01:29 AM

glad to hear you are ok.

that sounds like a pretty traumatic story.

how are you mentally? im sure you are pretty shaken up, but do you feel alright?

riceboy 11-22-2004 01:30 AM

:scared: hope everything works out for u...
i can't believe the cop gave u a ticket

i thought u sold ur bike because it had major problems?

JaredGMS 11-22-2004 01:32 AM

good to hear you're essentially ok....burns and scrapes heal......

Good luck with the recovery

Silver™ 11-22-2004 01:35 AM

Glad you made it out OK bro, something to tell the grand kids about someday ;)

craigyg69 11-22-2004 01:37 AM

Amazing. Glad you're okay.

Silver™ 11-22-2004 01:39 AM

The trooper comes in and gives me a ticket for Reckless Driving along with a court date.

Same shit happened to me, a big rig ran a red light and made a left turn infront of me, I hit him and ended up in the hospital. About an hour later as I am about to go in for an MRI and with a broken leg and lots of cuts and bruises the cop comes in and makes me sign a ticket for entering the intersection when the big rig was still in it :silvermad:

Sarlacc 11-22-2004 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by Silver™
Same shit happened to me, a big rig ran a red light and made a left turn infront of me, I hit him and ended up in the hospital. About an hour later as I am about to go in for an MRI and with a broken leg and lots of cuts and bruises the cop comes in and makes me sign a ticket for entering the intersection when the big rig was still in it :silvermad:

Got one better...

My best friends grandfather was killed when he was struck by a car attempting to cross the street (he was old and his periphial vision was near gone...sad and tragic yes)

And a cop showed up and wrote him a ticket for jaywalking...um, duh

CLovis 11-22-2004 01:46 AM

holy shit, so glad to hear you are ok

sounds like God wanted you to stick around a little longer.. :)

Hobo 11-22-2004 01:47 AM

wow, glad you are ok kat

dont really know what else to say

pgatour1 11-22-2004 01:51 AM

He LOVES you, he REALLY LOVES you!!!!!!! :cry:

well I mean everyone says these things...its like when a family member dies and you tell your friends.

And they are like oh man sorry to hear that, is everything ok. They really don't care.

Maybe it's just me. :D

Were you wearing your wal-mart jacket? :D

Sarlacc 11-22-2004 01:53 AM

well I mean everyone says these things...its like when a family member dies and you tell your friends.

And they are like oh man sorry to hear that, is everything ok. They really don't care.

Maybe it's just me. :D

Were you wearing your wal-mart jacket? :D

Dude, admit it. You let down your shield. dropped the vicious, love'em leave act, and admitted your true love for katanna right here on the boards...

you want his crispy winky...just admit...its ok...

:D

pgatour1 11-22-2004 01:56 AM

Dude, admit it. You let down your shield. dropped the vicious, love'em leave act, and admitted your true love for katanna right here on the boards...

you want his crispy winky...just admit...its ok...

:D

hahaha "little smokie" :D

and no guard let down...I said I don't want to sound cliche gay...but glad to hear you are ok.

anyone know what I mean...I mean how many of you really care about other people? is it just me who doesn't? my buddy is all upset his aunt died...his aunt. Big deal, it's your aunt? oh well, I don't know where i'm going with this.

Katana, did you have a male nurse like you hoped?

Sarlacc 11-22-2004 01:58 AM

hahaha "little smokie" :D

and no guard let down...I said I don't want to sound cliche gay...but glad to hear you are ok.

Katana, did you have a male nurse like you hoped?

See, you let your guard without letting your guard down....still tried to put up a front...We see right through it.

Specially, since you defending yourself right now. :D

pgatour1 11-22-2004 02:00 AM

See, you let your guard without letting your guard down....still tried to put up a front...We see right through it.

Specially, since you defending yourself right now. :D

you think OJ was guilty?

I'm so glad he is ok...I am flying to orlando right now so I can have wild sex with him and his burnt little smokie. I can't wait. :D

I hope sparks shoot out his ass like last time.

CLovis 11-22-2004 02:01 AM

i think you two need to get a room at the Motel 8

pgatour1 11-22-2004 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by CLovis
i think you two need to get a room at the Motel 8

do you want to join us like last week? :D

Dem1K 11-22-2004 02:03 AM

damn man...I really don't know what to say. The whole situation is so unfortunate, yet it gives you another perspective on life, and how valuable it is. It's weird how in life, usually something either traumatic or harsh has to happen in order for us (humans) to catch on to things. In your case, you are extremely lucky to be alive, and this is a golden oppurtunity for you to analyze your life. You are alive, and that is all that matters. Is it VERY unfortunate that the bike exploded right before you were going to sell it? You're damn right. Is it VERY unfortunate that you had to go through the absolute worst pain in your ENTIRE life?! You're god damn right.

But...

It happens...and you need to move on from the past and look at this w/ an open and experienced eye. I am so glad that you weren't EXTREMELY injured or even killed in this terrible accident. We're here for you buddy, and we care about ya. No one will tell you "I told you so...", because that's the least thing someone should say in this situation, especially after reading what you wrote (about having a wake-up call).

`John

Sarlacc 11-22-2004 02:09 AM

you think OJ was guilty?

I'm so glad he is ok...I am flying to orlando right now so I can have wild sex with him and his burnt little smokie. I can't wait. :D

I hope sparks shoot out his ass like last time.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

pgatour1 11-22-2004 02:13 AM

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Last time I was with him no sparks shot out his ass...maybe next time though

You finally wait like 3 months and she goes

I'M YOURS

and you go

FUCK YOU BITCH

<----watching Eddie Murphy Raw :D

You better stomp your feet and light a match for this pussy, god damnit.

Sarlacc 11-22-2004 02:20 AM

You finally wait like 3 months and she goes

I'M YOURS

and you go

FUCK YOU BITCH

<----watching Eddie Murphy Raw :D

You better stomp your feet and light a match for this pussy, god damnit.

I'm go beat up the foo who told me dem lies...

pgatour1 11-22-2004 02:25 AM

I'm go beat up the foo who told me dem lies...

hahah
Ok Maybe I didn't

Dumb niggas be like yeah Eddie, Why?

Once you make a women cum, no matter how bad you screw up, all you have to say is I'm sorry

soon as we hear you make that noise ladies, we are like "I got this motherfucker...then we start talking to you WHOSE PUSSY IS THIS"

I don't see no rings on my fingers.

Eddie beat Jimmy Walker in a disco

GoDucksCLSPride 11-22-2004 02:34 AM

Wow man....Its really bittersweet to hear this since we all hoped it would never happen, yet since it did, were glad your ok.

If theres anything we can do, this forum has become like family. (even though i lurk more than postwhore and most of yall never heard of me :) ) Still feels like family to me BITCHES :grinfawk:

Anyway, if this becomes financially stressfull, im sure everyone would be more than happy to contibute to an Eric get well fund. Especially with the holidays approaching.

Keep your head up man, you have a lot to be thankful for.

TheThirdMan 11-22-2004 03:04 AM

glad to hear your ok man!! god was watching over you!

Shadzilla 11-22-2004 03:15 AM

Without warning, the engine blows up. It just blew up and started spewing hot oil all over my legs. Then it caught on fire. With me on it.

Two words: LAW SUIT