Ask a cop anything v2.0 "brakejob lives" - Page 6 - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

Notices

Ask a cop anything v2.0 "brakejob lives"

 
 
Old 09-04-2006, 01:35 PM
  #201  
:brakejob:
Thread Starter
 
brakejob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: SF Bay Area
Age: 38
Posts: 1,195
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by crazymjb
But do MP5s really have stopping power against any heavy armor? Do they come in more than just a 9mm Variant?

Mike
they wont penetrate the same as an ar with 5.56/223, but the mp5 is a much better choice for urban settings where the firefight is indoors. clearing a house or a bank with a bulky ar-15 can be a pain, when I do active shooter style training in schools/buildings I prefer a fireteam with mp5 and shotgun support.
brakejob is offline  
Old 09-04-2006, 01:40 PM
  #202  
:brakejob:
Thread Starter
 
brakejob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: SF Bay Area
Age: 38
Posts: 1,195
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scottman111
This made me think of another question...


If you pull someone over for say, speeding, and they happen to have a radar detector...does that affect your decision to give/not give them a ticket? What I mean is, does that change your attitude about the person at all?? Thanks again...
personally i just tell them the radar detector was kind of useless since I managed to get them, either using radar or pacing... but do i give them the ticket? Not based on the detector, it's not illegal here and more power to you if you want to try and avoid... i'd much rather give tickets to disrespectful people
brakejob is offline  
Old 09-04-2006, 06:52 PM
  #203  
Registered Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: san jose
Posts: 870
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
are there hot lady officers in your dept.? b/c ladies in uniform

and if so
mr5parkle is offline  
Old 09-04-2006, 08:25 PM
  #204  
Evil Mastermind
 
StuntMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Chas. SC
Age: 33
Posts: 445
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK i know im gonna get alot of for this, but check the name. its what i do. anyway my friend and i have always talked about dressing up in matrix style or ninja clothes and walking through the mall with swords strapped to our backs just to get peoples reactions on tape. (another friend would be filming from a distance). basically just "jackass" type stuff. could we get arrested for the swords. i wouldnt think so considering its not a weapon you have to register, and its in plain sight. oh yeah in SC if that matters. Thanks.
StuntMonkey is offline  
Old 09-04-2006, 09:18 PM
  #205  
Why I watch sci-fi...
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Greater Seattle
Age: 38
Posts: 290
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was wondering, in CA, what does the law say about letting people into the lane you are in if they are obvsouly screwed where they are and they have thier signal on? This was in january, in Sand Dog. It was raining hard (yah, that one day) and i was down visiting friends. I was driving on I-5 tring to get out of town and thought the comuter lane i was in was going to exit to somewhere i did not want to go. So, with little time, I slowed down, and signaled right to change lanes. As i was coming over, the guy in the right land speed up and I veered left to avoaid the accident. That is when the guy to my left spead up beacuse he thought I was vacating the lane and had slowed down to about 45. So I was suddenly in the V between the exit ramp and the freeway. I finally got behind the right-hand axxhole but had so little room that I scrapped the medean with my mirror before it popped back. Did he have the legal obglation to let me in or was i just screwed?

PS this is also why I sold that and got something with Navi so i do not get lost as much.
DiveforTL-s is offline  
Old 09-04-2006, 09:28 PM
  #206  
Why I watch sci-fi...
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Greater Seattle
Age: 38
Posts: 290
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by crazymjb
Work for a PD, most arent overfunded by any means. It costs a lot to run a law enforcment system. We hate any tactic cops use to take more of our money

Mike

The really sad thing is that most of your ticket money does NOT go to the cops or any law enforcement. It usually goes into the states/ counties general fund or something else. I would at least want my money going toward catching/ procucting/ housing real criminals (i.e. rapists, murders, Neon owners, etc...)
DiveforTL-s is offline  
Old 09-04-2006, 09:58 PM
  #207  
Registered Member
 
crazymjb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Age: 29
Posts: 7,441
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, at least my money can go to help support the big dig

Mike
crazymjb is offline  
Old 09-04-2006, 10:57 PM
  #208  
Registered Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: san jose
Posts: 870
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
ok, shortly after posting here, i get a ticket... the irony...

enviroment: light to moderate traffic, speed of surrounding cars would be about 70mph. sun was setting and headlights weren't necessary but mine were still on. time was 730pm, but the officer checked both am and pm ??? we were switching lanes but not in a dangerous way either if that detail is worth noting. we weren't cutting anyone off.

officer: the officer was straight forward and polite. just mentioned that i was driving dangerously. he said he was following me and no radar was used, so i'm assuming i was being paced.

anyways, here they are:
vc 22349 (4?)- speeding in a 65:
i was cited going 85 in a 65 following my gf back up to davis on 680 north in the walnut creek area. i won't deny the speeding part, but i wasn't going 85. i averaged about 75 on the way up but not once did i pass 80mph. considering i was following my gf, she can also affirm this. is that worth mentioning and going to court over? and if my gf comes to be a witness, will she be in trouble for admitting her speed was also above 65 but below 80 to confirm my beliefs? if so, i'll leave her at home.

and vc 21703- following too close:
this is the one that bothers me. is there a standard to how close is too close? i never went more than 1.5 car lengths close to my gf's car which was in front of me. she even told me that she never felt pressured or endangered by me following. she also mentioned that the when viewing the rear mirror, my headlights never disappeared in them and my headlights were on too so it's kinda hard to make them completely disappear in the mirror.

and i haven't received a ticket in over 3 years. would traffic school cover both citations? or just one of them? if just one of them...

Last edited by mr5parkle; 09-04-2006 at 11:02 PM.
mr5parkle is offline  
Old 09-04-2006, 10:58 PM
  #209  
3-piece FTW
 
htown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: houston, tx
Posts: 1,285
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if i get pulled over while smoking a cigarette, would you ticket me if i flicked my butt out the window, does that count as littering?
htown is offline  
Old 09-04-2006, 11:01 PM
  #210  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: PA
Posts: 5,773
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by htown
if i get pulled over while smoking a cigarette, would you ticket me if i flicked my butt out the window, does that count as littering?
Yes, why should you be treated as special.?
KCPreki11 is offline  
Old 09-04-2006, 11:03 PM
  #211  
3-piece FTW
 
htown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: houston, tx
Posts: 1,285
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sorry, my friend told me to ask that. i don't smoke myself so i wouldnt do it!
htown is offline  
Old 09-04-2006, 11:41 PM
  #212  
Cosmic Cowboy
iTrader: (1)
 
g1underground's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Washington,DC
Age: 63
Posts: 867
Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenMonster
No questions from me, I just like reading this stuff...

Welcome back...
Same here..........the first one was one of the best threads ever
Like the others said.....Welcome back
g1underground is offline  
Old 09-05-2006, 12:19 AM
  #213  
:brakejob:
Thread Starter
 
brakejob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: SF Bay Area
Age: 38
Posts: 1,195
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
im just checking in, i'll answer the ?'s tomorrow no time i need food in my stomach, worked some OT today
brakejob is offline  
Old 09-05-2006, 02:40 AM
  #214  
Supercharged
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Milpitas Ca
Age: 36
Posts: 49
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey brakejob, I have a question.

I just got a ticket on my way to vegas in a rental car. I did not purchase insurance and did not have my insurance card with me. I got pulled over in bakersfield for speeding (vc 22349b) and no insurance (vc 16028a>00). I got the ticket in the mail and it is for $1131!! I have insurance on my car and I live in Milpitas. What should I do now? Do I really have to drive down to bakersfeild to show them that I have insurance? Is there an easy way out of this?

Thanks in advance and I think this thread is great!
Jleev6 is offline  
Old 09-05-2006, 11:07 AM
  #215  
Banned
 
btsilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Age: 37
Posts: 3,951
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
do you profile?
btsilver is offline  
Old 09-05-2006, 11:56 AM
  #216  
Needs more Lemon Pledge
 
stogie1020's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Age: 46
Posts: 51,981
Thanked 1,743 Times in 1,044 Posts
Originally Posted by btsilver
do you profile?

Sure.

If you APPEAR to be commiting a crime or civil traffic violation, you will be pulled over/detained/questioned.
stogie1020 is offline  
Old 09-05-2006, 03:02 PM
  #217  
Registered Member
iTrader: (1)
 
n3ok318's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Kirkland, WA
Age: 33
Posts: 840
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey breakjob,

How come in my past 3 speeding tickets, officers never asked questions like "Do you know how fast you were going?" Instead, they ask for my ID and registration and tells me they'll be back with ticket. I never had chance to explain anything! I wasn't speeding much either, 70 in 60 all three times..
n3ok318 is offline  
Old 09-05-2006, 03:30 PM
  #218  
:brakejob:
Thread Starter
 
brakejob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: SF Bay Area
Age: 38
Posts: 1,195
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mr5parkle
are there hot lady officers in your dept.? b/c ladies in uniform

and if so
yeah but most are either snatched up by other cops, and some wouldn't be interested in you (or other men) anyway
brakejob is offline  
Old 09-05-2006, 03:32 PM
  #219  
Banned
 
btsilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Age: 37
Posts: 3,951
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stogie1020
Sure.

If you APPEAR to be commiting a crime or civil traffic violation, you will be pulled over/detained/questioned.
What happens if APPEARING to commit a crime means driving the speed limit and not doing any civil traffic violation?
btsilver is offline  
Old 09-05-2006, 03:35 PM
  #220  
:brakejob:
Thread Starter
 
brakejob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: SF Bay Area
Age: 38
Posts: 1,195
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StuntMonkey
OK i know im gonna get alot of for this, but check the name. its what i do. anyway my friend and i have always talked about dressing up in matrix style or ninja clothes and walking through the mall with swords strapped to our backs just to get peoples reactions on tape. (another friend would be filming from a distance). basically just "jackass" type stuff. could we get arrested for the swords. i wouldnt think so considering its not a weapon you have to register, and its in plain sight. oh yeah in SC if that matters. Thanks.
don't know about SC, but in california you can carry a sword around with you, provided it's not concealed...

fucking penal code man... sword? legal. Billy club? Illegal....
brakejob is offline  
Old 09-05-2006, 03:38 PM
  #221  
:brakejob:
Thread Starter
 
brakejob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: SF Bay Area
Age: 38
Posts: 1,195
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DiveforTL-s
I was wondering, in CA, what does the law say about letting people into the lane you are in if they are obvsouly screwed where they are and they have thier signal on? This was in january, in Sand Dog. It was raining hard (yah, that one day) and i was down visiting friends. I was driving on I-5 tring to get out of town and thought the comuter lane i was in was going to exit to somewhere i did not want to go. So, with little time, I slowed down, and signaled right to change lanes. As i was coming over, the guy in the right land speed up and I veered left to avoaid the accident. That is when the guy to my left spead up beacuse he thought I was vacating the lane and had slowed down to about 45. So I was suddenly in the V between the exit ramp and the freeway. I finally got behind the right-hand axxhole but had so little room that I scrapped the medean with my mirror before it popped back. Did he have the legal obglation to let me in or was i just screwed?

PS this is also why I sold that and got something with Navi so i do not get lost as much.
technically he has the "right of way" so to speak.... but a traffic accident investigation can determine a lot of other factors, such as how far you were in the lane, etc...
brakejob is offline  
Old 09-05-2006, 03:40 PM
  #222  
:brakejob:
Thread Starter
 
brakejob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: SF Bay Area
Age: 38
Posts: 1,195
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DiveforTL-s
The really sad thing is that most of your ticket money does NOT go to the cops or any law enforcement. It usually goes into the states/ counties general fund or something else. I would at least want my money going toward catching/ procucting/ housing real criminals (i.e. rapists, murders, Neon owners, etc...)
werd, people think cops only write tickets to generate revenue... they get funded the same regardless of ticket output, because you're right it all goes to a general fund
brakejob is offline  
Old 09-05-2006, 03:47 PM
  #223  
:brakejob:
Thread Starter
 
brakejob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: SF Bay Area
Age: 38
Posts: 1,195
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mr5parkle
ok, shortly after posting here, i get a ticket... the irony...

enviroment: light to moderate traffic, speed of surrounding cars would be about 70mph. sun was setting and headlights weren't necessary but mine were still on. time was 730pm, but the officer checked both am and pm ??? we were switching lanes but not in a dangerous way either if that detail is worth noting. we weren't cutting anyone off.

officer: the officer was straight forward and polite. just mentioned that i was driving dangerously. he said he was following me and no radar was used, so i'm assuming i was being paced.

anyways, here they are:
vc 22349 (4?)- speeding in a 65:
i was cited going 85 in a 65 following my gf back up to davis on 680 north in the walnut creek area. i won't deny the speeding part, but i wasn't going 85. i averaged about 75 on the way up but not once did i pass 80mph. considering i was following my gf, she can also affirm this. is that worth mentioning and going to court over? and if my gf comes to be a witness, will she be in trouble for admitting her speed was also above 65 but below 80 to confirm my beliefs? if so, i'll leave her at home.

and vc 21703- following too close:
this is the one that bothers me. is there a standard to how close is too close? i never went more than 1.5 car lengths close to my gf's car which was in front of me. she even told me that she never felt pressured or endangered by me following. she also mentioned that the when viewing the rear mirror, my headlights never disappeared in them and my headlights were on too so it's kinda hard to make them completely disappear in the mirror.

and i haven't received a ticket in over 3 years. would traffic school cover both citations? or just one of them? if just one of them...
for 22349 it's going to be your word against his, and the gf won't matter because she was not "actively pacing in a calibrated vehicle," and will pretty much be worthless... she could admit to driving fast though, nothing is going to happen to her.

for 21703
The driver of a motor vehicle shall not follow another vehicle more closely than is reasonable and prudent, having due regard for the speed of such vehicle and the traffic upon, and the condition of, the roadway.
it's officer judgement, he should have taken notes about the conditions, but this will also be a he said/he said thing... the gf can mention it but the officer's judgement is what makes the ticket hold

traffic school will only cover one of the violations. sorry
brakejob is offline  
Old 09-05-2006, 03:47 PM
  #224  
:brakejob:
Thread Starter
 
brakejob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: SF Bay Area
Age: 38
Posts: 1,195
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by htown
if i get pulled over while smoking a cigarette, would you ticket me if i flicked my butt out the window, does that count as littering?
yep
brakejob is offline  
Old 09-05-2006, 03:47 PM
  #225  
:brakejob:
Thread Starter
 
brakejob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: SF Bay Area
Age: 38
Posts: 1,195
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by g1underground
Same here..........the first one was one of the best threads ever
Like the others said.....Welcome back
thanks
brakejob is offline  
Old 09-05-2006, 03:51 PM
  #226  
:brakejob:
Thread Starter
 
brakejob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: SF Bay Area
Age: 38
Posts: 1,195
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jleev6
Hey brakejob, I have a question.

I just got a ticket on my way to vegas in a rental car. I did not purchase insurance and did not have my insurance card with me. I got pulled over in bakersfield for speeding (vc 22349b) and no insurance (vc 16028a>00). I got the ticket in the mail and it is for $1131!! I have insurance on my car and I live in Milpitas. What should I do now? Do I really have to drive down to bakersfeild to show them that I have insurance? Is there an easy way out of this?

Thanks in advance and I think this thread is great!
how fast were you going?!?

for the insurance, 16028 is different than a regular fixit ticket... you have to show or mail the court a copy of your insurance information -and- the payment before they will take care of it, you can't just have an officer sign it off... contact the courthouse for help...
brakejob is offline  
Old 09-05-2006, 03:52 PM
  #227  
:brakejob:
Thread Starter
 
brakejob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: SF Bay Area
Age: 38
Posts: 1,195
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stogie1020
Sure.

If you APPEAR to be commiting a crime or civil traffic violation, you will be pulled over/detained/questioned.
exactly
brakejob is offline  
Old 09-05-2006, 03:52 PM
  #228  
:brakejob:
Thread Starter
 
brakejob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: SF Bay Area
Age: 38
Posts: 1,195
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by n3ok318
Hey breakjob,

How come in my past 3 speeding tickets, officers never asked questions like "Do you know how fast you were going?" Instead, they ask for my ID and registration and tells me they'll be back with ticket. I never had chance to explain anything! I wasn't speeding much either, 70 in 60 all three times..
sometimes it's all business... i've conducted plenty of traffic stops like this
brakejob is offline  
Old 09-05-2006, 03:54 PM
  #229  
:brakejob:
Thread Starter
 
brakejob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: SF Bay Area
Age: 38
Posts: 1,195
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by btsilver
What happens if APPEARING to commit a crime means driving the speed limit and not doing any civil traffic violation?
i don't profile in the way people think... racially...

with car stops and such i profile the car... and not ricemobiles, but hoopties with rims that cost 10,000... total shitbox cars, etc...

the average driver violates the vehicle code like once every .75 miles or something like that... there are plenty of legal reasons to pull people over
brakejob is offline  
Old 09-05-2006, 03:55 PM
  #230  
Supercharged
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Milpitas Ca
Age: 36
Posts: 49
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brakejob
how fast were you going?!?

for the insurance, 16028 is different than a regular fixit ticket... you have to show or mail the court a copy of your insurance information -and- the payment before they will take care of it, you can't just have an officer sign it off... contact the courthouse for help...
83mph in a 55mph. Is that really bad? Is that worse than a normal speeding ticket?
Jleev6 is offline  
Old 09-05-2006, 04:20 PM
  #231  
Registered Member
 
DRM600's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 2,887
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jleev6
83mph in a 55mph. Is that really bad? Is that worse than a normal speeding ticket?
i didn't think that 28 over would result in such a large fine. how many other moving violations have you had? iirc from a book about ca traffic tickets, the fine for each subsequent moving violations you receive gets larger.
DRM600 is offline  
Old 09-05-2006, 05:09 PM
  #232  
Needs more Lemon Pledge
 
stogie1020's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Age: 46
Posts: 51,981
Thanked 1,743 Times in 1,044 Posts
Originally Posted by Jleev6
83mph in a 55mph. Is that really bad? Is that worse than a normal speeding ticket?
Let's get tp the root of the issue for a minute here. No police officer WANTS to spend all day writing tickets (except Motor officers). Civil traffic violations are about the least important thing a police officer cares about.

Having said that, I FREQUENTLY used a civil traffic offense to conduct a stop and interact with the driver/passengers. Does anyone in the car refuse to make eye contact? Does someone in the car confess to having warrants? Are there indications of drugs/alcohol in the car? The ticket was almost irrelevant, and often not issued if there were no problems with the occupants of the car.

Remember, police officers realize that catching a murderer is a little more important than writing you a ticket for 10 over. Unfortunately, some officers are not good INVESTIGATORS and cant "process" the contents of the car on a traffic stop. These officers try to make themselves look like effective workers by writing a lot of tickets. I always felt like that was a cop out (pardon the pun).

I would always have rather let fifteen people go with warnings and arrest one burglar on his way to/from a crime than write a bunch of people tickets, when the truth is that the traffic stop often corrected the bad driving without needing to add salt to the wound (citation).

Just my thoughts, others may see things differently.
stogie1020 is offline  
Old 09-05-2006, 05:49 PM
  #233  
Registered Member
 
CLPowersWife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Age: 39
Posts: 8,746
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stogie1020
Let's get tp the root of the issue for a minute here. No police officer WANTS to spend all day writing tickets (except Motor officers). Civil traffic violations are about the least important thing a police officer cares about.

Having said that, I FREQUENTLY used a civil traffic offense to conduct a stop and interact with the driver/passengers. Does anyone in the car refuse to make eye contact? Does someone in the car confess to having warrants? Are there indications of drugs/alcohol in the car? The ticket was almost irrelevant, and often not issued if there were no problems with the occupants of the car.

Remember, police officers realize that catching a murderer is a little more important than writing you a ticket for 10 over. Unfortunately, some officers are not good INVESTIGATORS and cant "process" the contents of the car on a traffic stop. These officers try to make themselves look like effective workers by writing a lot of tickets. I always felt like that was a cop out (pardon the pun).

I would always have rather let fifteen people go with warnings and arrest one burglar on his way to/from a crime than write a bunch of people tickets, when the truth is that the traffic stop often corrected the bad driving without needing to add salt to the wound (citation).

Just my thoughts, others may see things differently.
I agree with you there... my one reckless driving ticket from 2001 keeps my eyes firmly on the speedometer (no more astronomical insurance premiums for me, thank you!!) but even more so, the one time I was stopped because I blew through a toll booth and my little transponder thingy didn't work, the officer let me go and I was always VIGILANT about carefully driving through it afterwards. He admonished me that driving through the booths too fast can be dangerous for the booth operators and for other cars who may not see me coming. Those were two dangers I had not previously considered. Had he given me a ticket, I would probably not have learned my lesson (asshole cop!!).


I'd do pretty much anything to avoid being pulled over (although my tinted windows, chronic cig butt littering and occasional - okay, frequent - speeding may say otherwise).
CLPowersWife is offline  
Old 09-06-2006, 12:58 AM
  #234  
Why I watch sci-fi...
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Greater Seattle
Age: 38
Posts: 290
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BrakeJob-
Are the police relived that the blanket handgun ban got repealed (thank god for the NRA) or did they care? I would think you all would have been all up in arms (no pun intended) over it. As i understand it, it applied to off duty police, too if you lived in SF. Why would your city try to make their city full of only illegal, unregersterd guns? What is going on ofer there?
DiveforTL-s is offline  
Old 09-06-2006, 12:40 PM
  #235  
:brakejob:
Thread Starter
 
brakejob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: SF Bay Area
Age: 38
Posts: 1,195
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DiveforTL-s
BrakeJob-
Are the police relived that the blanket handgun ban got repealed (thank god for the NRA) or did they care? I would think you all would have been all up in arms (no pun intended) over it. As i understand it, it applied to off duty police, too if you lived in SF. Why would your city try to make their city full of only illegal, unregersterd guns? What is going on ofer there?
some cops are for it, some are against it... i am against it because bans don't stop criminals from getting guns, just law abiding citizens...

it was unclear if it does/did not apply to off duty police and retired police, but I can assure you if they did try to apply it to police it would be stopped immediatley by a combined force of police unions.
brakejob is offline  
Old 09-06-2006, 12:40 PM
  #236  
:brakejob:
Thread Starter
 
brakejob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: SF Bay Area
Age: 38
Posts: 1,195
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stogie1020
Let's get tp the root of the issue for a minute here. No police officer WANTS to spend all day writing tickets (except Motor officers). Civil traffic violations are about the least important thing a police officer cares about.

Having said that, I FREQUENTLY used a civil traffic offense to conduct a stop and interact with the driver/passengers. Does anyone in the car refuse to make eye contact? Does someone in the car confess to having warrants? Are there indications of drugs/alcohol in the car? The ticket was almost irrelevant, and often not issued if there were no problems with the occupants of the car.

Remember, police officers realize that catching a murderer is a little more important than writing you a ticket for 10 over. Unfortunately, some officers are not good INVESTIGATORS and cant "process" the contents of the car on a traffic stop. These officers try to make themselves look like effective workers by writing a lot of tickets. I always felt like that was a cop out (pardon the pun).

I would always have rather let fifteen people go with warnings and arrest one burglar on his way to/from a crime than write a bunch of people tickets, when the truth is that the traffic stop often corrected the bad driving without needing to add salt to the wound (citation).

Just my thoughts, others may see things differently.
VC for PC my brother
brakejob is offline  
Old 09-06-2006, 07:42 PM
  #237  
registered pw
 
dallison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: south central pa
Age: 43
Posts: 38,629
Thanked 270 Times in 203 Posts
i don't know if this was covered or not, but is the radar gun effective in the rain. i wasn't sure if the state police would be able to get a good read in the rain or drizzle like they can when it is clear
dallison is offline  
Old 09-07-2006, 12:18 AM
  #238  
:brakejob:
Thread Starter
 
brakejob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: SF Bay Area
Age: 38
Posts: 1,195
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dallison
i don't know if this was covered or not, but is the radar gun effective in the rain. i wasn't sure if the state police would be able to get a good read in the rain or drizzle like they can when it is clear
yes, it's effective. the range may decrease depending on how bad the rain is, but it is still effective. there is almost no laser in california, everyone is using Ka. K can be affected by rain, but Ka works in it...
brakejob is offline  
Old 09-07-2006, 01:08 AM
  #239  
Moderator
 
Mizouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Las Vegas
Age: 34
Posts: 56,328
Thanked 1,343 Times in 947 Posts
how often do cops pull over bikes and how often do they not have a license and insurance? what happens if i dont have a M1 license and bike insurace? arrested? bike impounded? what?

just curious cause im thinking of picking up a cheapo ninja or other 250cc bike to learn on before i go for the M1 license
Mizouse is offline  
Old 09-07-2006, 10:23 AM
  #240  
Masshole
 
mc_yanzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Ashland, MA
Age: 38
Posts: 1,732
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What does bail money pay for?

Meaning, where does the money go once it's been paid? To the state? Jail? Officer's pockets?
mc_yanzo is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ask a cop anything v2.0 "brakejob lives"


Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.