Ask a Cop Anything™

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 01:00 AM
:brakejob:

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chinisimo
do you have any funny/interesting/worth mentioning stories to tell us?
there are a few in the thread... every so often a question jogs a memory...
Old 08-04-2005, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by Scottman111
Well he was in his unmarked car and all dressed up so I guess he was working when he was pulling us over.

Do you pull people over when your in plain clothes and not in your cop car? That seems like it would be hard to do unless you have a blue light with ya I would think your a crazy road rage guy trying to kill me if you started chasing me
in california it is a red light for pullovers, and you cannot pull a car over without it. All our unmarked cars have lights and siren...
Old 08-04-2005, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by jtkz13
Whats the rule as far as doing stupid stuff in your car but not in a public road? Like if I got busted doing donuts in a industrial shop parking lot, can I be given a ticket even though its public property?

I have always had good relations with law enforcement. Even though I have like 6 points right now I probably should have double that amount. All I can say is that if you arent a prick they usually will give you a break. I really gotta slow down tho, these tickets are getting pricey.

I've had numerous State/Local cops as pt's where I work (hospital setting), and all have been very decent human beings. Dont ever use a blanket statement like "all NY troopers are DICKS!!!111", because your ass will be calling them like a madman when/if something bad ever happens, and you bet your life you'll be happy they are out there.
if it is public property then we can enforce laws there, if it's private property its a different story, theres a few things you can do on your own property and such, but many land owners allow the police department to enforce laws on their property...

and to the rest
Old 08-04-2005, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by PenguinQX
I just got a ticket in Nassau County, NY for "imprudent speed". My town speed limit is 35, and I did a hard acceleration to about 45-50, then coasted immediately cuz I realized I was going too fast... There was no speed marked on the ticket. Any tips on how to deal with this ticket?
pay the fine ...

i don't know NY law so I don't know what "imprudent speed" is codified/defined as... but it sounds like an "unsafe speed" or "speed above speed limit" so basically you're done for...

I'd just pay the fine... you can try to go to court but if it's like cali they get overtime to go to court (if they're off duty) which is always easy money...
Old 08-04-2005, 01:06 AM
Who am I?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by brakejobhelp
if it is public property then we can enforce laws there, if it's private property its a different story, theres a few things you can do on your own property and such, but many land owners allow the police department to enforce laws on their property...

and to the rest
so if i go drifting around in my community you cant come in because it's a private street (if you do not have permission)?
Old 08-04-2005, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by sipark
How come some cops just give warnings when people clearly break the law (i.e. traffic violations)? Aren't you obligated to enforce the law and give them tickets?

Besides setting up a speed traps, what are typical things cops do to serve the public when they're not being dispatched (not busy)??
Nope, one of our greatest powers is the power of discretion...

i never do speed traps, i cruise and look for things out of place, dope cars, etc...

any car where the rims are worth more than the entire car, for instance...
Old 08-04-2005, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by thatguy
so if i go drifting around in my community you cant come in because it's a private street (if you do not have permission)?
is it truly private? is there a homeowners association? is that activity condoned on the street? etc...
Old 08-04-2005, 01:09 AM

have you ever had to spin kick a felon in the jaw because he/she was getting out of hand?
nope, it's a worthless move... we have so many better weapons if we get in a fight...
Old 08-04-2005, 01:12 AM
Who am I?

is it truly private? is there a homeowners association? is that activity condoned on the street? etc...
there is a HOA, and i know for a fact that the activity isnt condoned on the streets.

and you know in the movies where if a chase goes out of your jurisdiction you "have" to stop, how would that work if i drove onto a private road that say, I owned??
Old 08-04-2005, 01:15 AM

there is a HOA, and i know for a fact that the activity isnt condoned on the streets.

and you know in the movies where if a chase goes out of your jurisdiction you "have" to stop, how would that work if i drove onto a private road that say, I owned??
hot pursuit rule applies, i can chase you practically anywhere... you run into your house, i can break the door down...
Old 08-04-2005, 02:31 AM
Pro

im geussin the TL....drop by Geary and Van Ness, about halfway up geary headed towards van ness there is a bar/club and ive noticed alot of Surenos chilling around there every nighti drive home....they were never there last year....i hate Surenos gangmembers more than i hate birds shitting on my car, so please arrest them
Old 08-04-2005, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Liftedoff420
im geussin the TL....drop by Geary and Van Ness, about halfway up geary headed towards van ness there is a bar/club and ive noticed alot of Surenos chilling around there every nighti drive home....they were never there last year....i hate Surenos gangmembers more than i hate birds shitting on my car, so please arrest them
i get them and norteno crap too...

as well as the other localized BA gangs
Old 08-04-2005, 12:10 PM
Team Owner

Is it legal in Cali for somebody on a motorcycle to pass between cars stopped at a stoplight so they can get to the front of the line and take off when it turns green?
Old 08-04-2005, 12:12 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Always Dirty
Is it legal in Cali for somebody on a motorcycle to pass between cars stopped at a stoplight so they can get to the front of the line and take off when it turns green?

lol

legal to share a lane with car but not safe.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:12 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Teh Jatt
lol

legal to share a lane with car but not safe.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:17 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

cali is the only state where its legal I think.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:21 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Is it legal for a motorcycle to pass you on the right when you are in the carpool lane, all traffic moving 70MPH?
Old 08-04-2005, 12:25 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Originally Posted by jlukja
Is it legal for a motorcycle to pass you on the right when you are in the carpool lane, all traffic moving 70MPH?
Same thing, lane sharing... only legal in cali.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:31 PM
'Cooter

Originally Posted by PenguinQX
I just got a ticket in Nassau County, NY for "imprudent speed". My town speed limit is 35, and I did a hard acceleration to about 45-50, then coasted immediately cuz I realized I was going too fast... There was no speed marked on the ticket. Any tips on how to deal with this ticket?
you're lucky...in Nassau, you can plea bargain the speeding ticket down...if you're really lucky, you will just get a busted taillight fine, no points...that's assuming you have to go to traffic court in Hempstead.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:34 PM
All go, no show

^^ I can't go to court cuz I'll be at school in North Carolina... you don't happen to kno a good traffic court lawyer?
Old 08-04-2005, 06:01 PM

yep
Old 08-04-2005, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by jlukja
nope, because that would be speeding
Old 08-04-2005, 06:03 PM
My Work is Done Here

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
yep
that is

Last edited by ccannizz11; 08-04-2005 at 06:06 PM.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by ccannizz11
that is

What? no, it is perfectly legal...

edit: As long as you dont cross the limit line of the intersection, (thus entering an intersection on a red light) it is legal... it's really not totally addressed in the vehicle code for non-freeways afaik, so its sort of up to the officer... on freeways it is totally legal to lane split)

Last edited by brakejobhelp; 08-04-2005 at 06:15 PM.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:14 PM
TQ > MPG

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Thats what my gf said when she was in San Fran a week ago. She was amazed howmany biked split traffic. Seems kinda dicey, are CA drivers more aware of bikes than other parts of the country? Because here in Michigan there are so many suv's and people dont look for bikes, so they would def get creamed if they tried that around here.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:21 PM

So breakjob. Appreciate this chance to ask questions.

Im a medical mj patient. Ive never been in trouble with the law nor do i seek it. I was just wondering...

What would happen to me if a police officer happened to find MJ on me. If I showed him my prescription from a certified doctor would I get in trouble?

I know possesion of mj is only a misdemeanor, but id hate for that to get on my record...

My question is... Would law enforcement write me a ticket for possession? Would I have to get a lawyer?

Id hate to find out myself.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:23 PM

On the way home from picking up my prescription.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Edr0e

Im a medical mj patient. Ive never been in trouble with the law nor do i seek it. I was just wondering...

What would happen to me if a police officer happened to find MJ on me. If I showed him my prescription from a certified doctor would I get in trouble?

I know possesion of mj is only a misdemeanor, but id hate for that to get on my record...

My question is... Would law enforcement write me a ticket for possession? Would I have to get a lawyer?

For what ?...you NEED it.
Old 08-05-2005, 05:04 AM
Pro

you can carry up to the legal allowed limit for a MJ patient...which i think is like 2 ounces

but it CANNOT be sacked up...the cop can get you for intent to sell if its in a bunch of little baggies
Old 08-05-2005, 05:05 AM
Pro

brakejob have you ever arrested any graffiti writers...stories??

whos the youngest person youve arrested...
Old 08-05-2005, 05:42 AM
GEEZER

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,418 Posts
whats the deal with the Oakley Sunglasses and bad mustaches?
Old 08-05-2005, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by jtkz13
Thats what my gf said when she was in San Fran a week ago. She was amazed howmany biked split traffic. Seems kinda dicey, are CA drivers more aware of bikes than other parts of the country? Because here in Michigan there are so many suv's and people dont look for bikes, so they would def get creamed if they tried that around here.
maybe, although a lot of CA drivers have their heads so far up their asses they can't see shit...
Old 08-05-2005, 11:08 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
this is a stupid question... Do you have to obey stop signs in parking lots? I was just thinking since they're not official city roads, but private property then maybe the laws don't apply.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Edr0e

what do you need medical mj for if you don't mind me asking?

With your card/prescription you can carry the legal limit for personal use. As liftedoff420 said, it cannot be divided up, or you can't have little baggies on you, etc... because then you look like your selling, which is a felony.

If a federal officer were to arrest or search you for some reason (military base, government land etc...) you would get busted for posession. This is because federal law does not recognize california's medical marijuana laws.

*Having a prescription only entitles you to use and have marijuana like any other prescription drug. meaning, if you do not have your prescription/card on you we can bust yoiu for posession. Also, if you drive under the influence you will be arrested for felony DUI.

As I have said before while I somewhat support legalizing marijuana, and don't usually bother with posession BS (other than destroying the stash and sending people on their way) I have no tolerance for dealers and people who drive under the influence.

Almost every cop I know feels the same about dealers and drivers...
Old 08-05-2005, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Liftedoff420
brakejob have you ever arrested any graffiti writers...stories??

whos the youngest person youve arrested...
a few, they usually are kids or singled out gangbangers (and are wimps when alone) and don't fight or argue...

I cuffed a 4 year old because his mom wanted me to, the youngest I have formally arrested was about 12...
Old 08-05-2005, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by 1killercls
whats the deal with the Oakley Sunglasses and bad mustaches?
Mustaches I don't have one, but a lot of the people who have them had them before, or liked them... and when you've had a certain style of facial hair for a while no one likes to change... Also, it's shown to be intimidating (even if you're laughing at it :P )

The sunglasses... well, these are twofold... I love mirrored sunglasses for two reasons...

#1, it's just plain intimidating, especially when you're in close and they're looking at themselves...

#2, it hides our eyes... this is the best part, because it does so many things for us. It lets us look wherever we want to while appearing to look at them. Eyes are the "window to the soul" and makes it easier for us to deal with people because they cannot see what we're thinking, or how we're feeling. you get the idea
Old 08-05-2005, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by danny25
this is a stupid question... Do you have to obey stop signs in parking lots? I was just thinking since they're not official city roads, but private property then maybe the laws don't apply.
its kind of a gray area... but most private property owners dont mind and prefer law enforcement to enforce the vehicle code on their land, so you could get a ticket for it...
Old 08-05-2005, 11:23 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
When taking on applicants, if applicants have had drug problems in the past, but are now clean, are they still able to become a cop? I always hear they can't, but I don't think it's true. As long as you are honest about your past you are okay right?
Old 08-05-2005, 11:29 AM
Suzuka Master

Scottie, you would be the worst cop in the universe... you'd let everyone go, and instead of confiscating weed, you'd make them smoke it... with you.

But then again... maybe you could just get the uniform... I've always wanted to f a cop...
Old 08-05-2005, 11:35 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
I'd be an awesome cop

White people would love me!

Quick Reply: Ask a Cop Anything™