AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   AcuraZine's Hall of Fame (https://acurazine.com/forums/acurazines-hall-fame-284/)
-   -   AEM CAI INSTALLED, took my 11, yes 11 fukkin hours! (AKA the Turny Clicky Thread) (https://acurazine.com/forums/acurazines-hall-fame-284/aem-cai-installed-took-my-11-yes-11-fukkin-hours-aka-turny-clicky-thread-406040/)

amir was here 07-18-2001 12:29 PM

AEM CAI INSTALLED, took my 11, yes 11 fukkin hours! (AKA the Turny Clicky Thread)

HOLY SHIT, last night, me and a friend attempted the installation, we started at 10pm, thinking we would be dont by 1 am, sine so many members said it only takes 1.5 hours, we said ok fine, lets just say were slow and double that..

Ok, first of all those first two screws dont come off no matter how strong you are with the normal screwdriver..thats when we went looking for the tuirning thiing that makes the ticking noise..so we got that, and used it, peice of cake right?..WRONG, the nexxt ones wont come out!..then our turning thingy with the ticking noise, thing stopped working proplerly, so we went hunting for another one..we finally found another one, and after two screws, THAT ONE stopped working. So the, here we are, car jacked up, by this time it was almost 1:30! :eek: mostly cause of all the hunting for tools at my buddiers, dads factory...ANYWAYS, we end up calling a friend to come to us with his dads turning thing that makes ticking noise, he brings it and guess what!, he brings the wrong shit!, its the same thing but too small, and we didnt have that thing that converts it..or whatever..SOO we had to call a tow truck to come tow my sorry ass back home, since we couldnt put the Stock thing back on, and we coulndt out the CAI on...so then while were on hold, my friend tries again, and 1 of the turning things starts to work!!! by this time it is like 3:00am, THEN, we get to this fucking screw that wont come out, even the the stupid thing fitted on the thing it was beside. So yeah, i dont even remember, but we finally did it, it was like 3:30am, and we start to take the splash gaurds off... i think i broke almost all of them off, when i got to the last 3, i figured out how to do it :D The whole night, we got 2 sparks from the batterie, hehehe, cause our tools accidently touched it..so yeah, we finally take off, or break off, (whatever you wanna say) the splashinggaurd, and then, we started to cut for the bypass, this was easy, except for trying to stay in the lines of that template. what the hell were those arrows for anyways, they all looked the same to me...

Then, put the bypass on, this part was easy, then fitting it properly was a whole other fucking story, at maybe 6am, we put it in once, only to find that there is NO WAY it will fit..then there are two holes that you can screw the cai into, if we could have installed it in any of those two holes, things would have been done maybe 2 hours faster. we ended up using the stock screw, anyone do this?.it was easier to gint..

ok bttom line, saounds AMAZING. very tiresom, had to skip work today, and now i am going to sl
eep.

bye

CLpower 07-18-2001 12:30 PM

first i'm gonna laugh at you

HAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH

okay, now i'm gonna go read what happened :D

CLpower 07-18-2001 12:35 PM

OMG, i'm laughing even harder now...."the clicking turning thing"

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

i think i'm gonna pee my pants

[ 07-18-2001: Message edited by: CLpower ]

BigPimp 07-18-2001 12:36 PM

This is really really funny story :D :D :D

Eleven hours :eek:???????? How technically challeneged are you guys? ;) Well, at least you get it done, 11 hours later that is. Classic adventure of the CAI install. Put this one into FAQ under what NOT to do while installing the CAI.

ruvz 07-18-2001 12:43 PM

Ever hear of the tool called a "Ratchet"?

:D

xenon7 07-18-2001 12:46 PM

Sounds like you guys were just having to much fun with this thing! Problem is to replace most non warranty- broken shit on these kind of cars will nickle and dime your azz to death.
Good to hear you burned the midnight oil to get it done because it's worth it. :D

CLpower 07-18-2001 12:47 PM

Originally posted by xenon7:
<STRONG>Sounds like you guys were just having to much fun with this thing! Problem is to replace most non warranty- broken shit on these kind of cars will nickle and dime your azz to death.
Good to hear you burned the midnight oil to get it done because it's worth it. :D</STRONG>
i don't know if 11 hours is worth it. I mean god damn..it's a fucking CAI. shouldn't take more then 2 hours. Unless your a complete moron :D ...so i guess amir has an excuse :D

JRock 07-18-2001 12:49 PM

thats when we went looking for the tuirning thiing that makes the ticking noise..so
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Socket wrench. :D

BEWAHAHAHAHAHA

BNut 07-18-2001 12:56 PM

The word "Aggie" comes to mind for some reason. :)

(Its a Texas joke thing I guess)

gto2050 07-18-2001 01:01 PM

Originally posted by BNut:
<STRONG>The word "Aggie" comes to mind for some reason. :)

(Its a Texas joke thing I guess)</STRONG>
:D :D :cool: :D :D :rolleyes:

cl-driver 07-18-2001 01:03 PM

I can't help but laugh. I'm mechanically challenged but 11 hours? Well hope its worth it.

SilverKnight 07-18-2001 01:16 PM

LOL hahahahaah ... "clicking turning thing" you never cease to amaze me hahahaha

Boosted GST 07-18-2001 01:31 PM

omg! 11 figgin hours? bwahahahaha

autoxCLS 07-18-2001 01:39 PM

Did somebody boost his account or something? Sheesh! That's just sad, son!

JRock 07-18-2001 01:50 PM

You guys shoulda taped this shit. Then edited it so it's at like 4x speed. Then we could laugh our asses off at your idiocy. :D

JRock 07-18-2001 01:57 PM

Hey, look at the bright side:

At least you're not phin:

http://www.wam.umd.edu/~jinman/haha.jpg

fbazakos 07-18-2001 02:05 PM

Scroll down this link and find my post:
http://www.acura-cl.com/cgi-bin/ulti...=1&t=008473&p=

I rest my case

:D

Shawn S 07-18-2001 02:11 PM

"his dads turning thing that makes ticking noise"
That made my day. :D :D :D

My CAI was professionally installed by the infamous XEPHYR himself.

Flame away.

Shawn S

CLpower 07-18-2001 02:13 PM

Originally posted by JRock:
<STRONG>Hey, look at the bright side:

At least you're not phin:

http://www.wam.umd.edu/~jinman/haha.jpg[/QB]

BWAHHAHAHAHAHAH

Casper98CL 07-18-2001 02:18 PM

I want to be different and not laugh but I can't hold back.... sorry.. HAHAHAHAHA...
maybe you should start mods alil earlier and have a clear conscious head instead of so late where you cant think straight...

me and my brother installed his in an hour-hour and a half smoothely... sorry man.. but I hope she works ok..

fender4 07-18-2001 02:21 PM

LMFAO "turning ticking thing" LMFAO!! JENS has got to read this!!! Time for the young to get out to SEARS and hang out at the tool area. :D :rolleyes: :D :D :rolleyes:

CLTypeR 07-18-2001 02:57 PM

Dude,

There are some things that you should keep to yourself. :p WD40 baby.... WD40

Mike 07-18-2001 03:00 PM

bbbbbbaaahhhhaaaaaaa!!!! short busser!

"note to self...amir is NEVER coming near my car. find out what type of acid amir dropped before working on his car." ;)

sounds like the dumb and dumber mechanic twins!!! :D

CLpower 07-18-2001 03:04 PM

Originally posted by CLTypeR:
<STRONG>Dude,

There are some things that you should keep to yourself. :p WD40 baby.... WD40</STRONG>
he's probally wishing he could delete this :D

phinthesky 07-18-2001 03:28 PM

How long does it take you to wipe your ass? Man, you're dumb.

NOVAwhiteTypeS 07-18-2001 03:34 PM

Jrock, that shit was just wrong....

Im rolling on my computer laughen. :D

amir was here 07-18-2001 03:35 PM

ok i just woke up, and everything is fucked.

i wrote that message taking naps in between everysentence like an old man...i SERIUUOSLY passed out on my bed RIGHT after that post.

ok i am glad you guys found it funny, but most the time we were looking for tools, WTF, so what if i called it the ticking thing, i am not a mechanic, plus at the toronto cl meet, when i asked where to get it done, everyone said do it yourself even though i said i dont know shit.

yes i regret writing that shit up there, but i wasnt thinking, i was TIRED. haha you guys got a good laugh atleast.. ok now i have some questions..

A) Is the FAT HOSE supposed to be bent where it is touching the stock hose?

B) is the filter supposed to be tucked away like that in the cornerr? i dont even see how it gets any air.

C) The sound is AWSOME especially after 5k, does the sound get better after a bit more driving?

D) after the second time we made sparks and fried a bit of our batterie while installing, we disconnected it for the rest of the job, so it stayed disconnected for a good 5 hours...do I need to still do anything with the battery? like disconnect it again for 20 minutes after driving once?

Honestly, the installation was not worth it, and it was only fun at the very end... at the point where we wanted to tow the car, it was really bad...felt like shit, but it came through

BTW we took NO BREAKS, 11 hours was straight installing/tool hunting, now my whole sleeping schedule is FUCKED.

Ok guys, go ahead and laugh, cause its all good, but try to answer some questions too, thanks..

amir was here 07-18-2001 03:38 PM

btw, the person i installed with, is a member of the board too...he has like 40 posts, his name is majeed, he is gonna drop by later on..he was at the toronto meet, he was the guy that came along with me, i've known him for several years now..

ChodTheWacko 07-18-2001 03:49 PM

Originally posted by amirsafdari:
<STRONG>
Everyone said do it yourself even though i said i dont know shit.

B) is the filter supposed to be tucked away like that in the cornerr? i dont even see how it gets any air.

C) The sound is AWSOME especially after 5k, does the sound get better after a bit more driving?

D) after the second time we made sparks and fried a bit of our batterie while installing, we disconnected it for the rest of the job, so it stayed disconnected for a good 5 hours...do I need to still do anything with the battery? like disconnect it again for 20 minutes after driving once?

</STRONG>
Hey look, think of it this way, at least you didn't get your head stuck in the trunk pass-through. :eek: ( http://www.acura-cl.com/cgi-bin/ulti...c&f=1&t=007163 )
For what it's worth, most people assume that even if you don't know anything about cars, you still know your basic tools. Like a socket wrench. I'm betting that the socket wrenches that 'didn't work' actually just had the directional switch going the wrong way.

Hey, you didn't just learn about your car, you learned about tools in general, so that's a good thing!

Answers:
A) Yes, mine is bent pretty hard where it connects. It's bent enough that I keep trying to see if there is a better way to reconnect it, but so far I haven't found one.
Is there a replacement for that hard metal
dual pipe thing?

B) Yes, that is how it works. Remember that
the engine sucks in air, so it doesn't have to be sticking out there like some kinda ram air thing.

C) No, it doesn't get louder than it does after you first install it. Note that it only makes noise at higher rpms, so If you cruise it will be silent.

D) No, one disconnect is enough to reset the ECU and let it recalc everything.

BSK181 07-18-2001 03:56 PM

could not have happened to a better guy. this is better then when he was banned a few months ago.
what an ASSSSSSSSSSSHOLE.
"WE STILL ALL JUST LOVE YOU"
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

amir was here 07-18-2001 03:59 PM

Originally posted by ChodTheWacko:
<STRONG>

Hey look, think of it this way, at least you didn't get your head stuck in the trunk pass-through. :eek: ( http://www.acura-cl.com/cgi-bin/ulti...c&f=1&t=007163 )
For what it's worth, most people assume that even if you don't know anything about cars, you still know your basic tools. Like a socket wrench. I'm betting that the socket wrenches that 'didn't work' actually just had the directional switch going the wrong way.

Hey, you didn't just learn about your car, you learned about tools in general, so that's a good thing!

Answers:
A) Yes, mine is bent pretty hard where it connects. It's bent enough that I keep trying to see if there is a better way to reconnect it, but so far I haven't found one.
Is there a replacement for that hard metal
dual pipe thing?

B) Yes, that is how it works. Remember that
the engine sucks in air, so it doesn't have to be sticking out there like some kinda ram air thing.

C) No, it doesn't get louder than it does after you first install it. Note that it only makes noise at higher rpms, so If you cruise it will be silent.

D) No, one disconnect is enough to reset the ECU and let it recalc everything.</STRONG>
thanks chod! thats what i was hoping to hear, and yeah i did learn quite a bit about tools, i guess..

but i really do feel like i built that part of the car myself, like it feels kinda better now that its done...but i also have the feeeling, that i fucked up, and its gonna fuck something up, and warranty wont cover..

Also, we didnt use the smaller hose AEM gave me, anyone else do this?

amir was here 07-18-2001 04:02 PM

shit this thread is embarrasing, oh well..

see everything in my sig?..it was all installed/done by a shop or dealer for me...except the CAI.

(yes i did in fact ask someone to paint my calipers for me, but i made it sound like i knew how, just didnt feel like it so they wouldnt laugh, it was the place i got my tired switched from winter to summer)

ChodTheWacko 07-18-2001 04:11 PM

<STRONG>we ended up using the stock screw, anyone do this?.it was easier to gint..

bye</STRONG>
Uhhhh, I just reread your post, and you better check your air filter.

The problem is, you didn't use the screw
with the 1" rubber riser on it. (I think) So your filter may be too low. If your filter is too low, there's a chance that one of the bottom splash guard screws may punch a hole in your Air filter. :eek:

From the way my install went, I don't see how you can undo the screw you used and slip in the screw with the riser. You may need to pull out most of it and re-install it. You did all the hard stuff (the unscrewing of the stock junk) so this won't be too bad.

If you choose to pull it out and reinstall, DEFINITELY use my FAQ as an install reference. It should make it much easier.
See my sig.

ChodTheWacko 07-18-2001 04:17 PM

<STRONG>
Also, we didnt use the smaller hose AEM gave me, anyone else do this?</STRONG>
Oh yeah, I didn't use that either.

amir was here 07-18-2001 04:23 PM

SHITTTTTTTT!!!!!!!

this requires me moving the splashguards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but the stock screw was almost the same thing, in fact, it was like 1.5" - 2" of rubber i think....

the one that came with the aem, was fucked, the nut wouldnt go down...

CLpower 07-18-2001 04:27 PM

<STRONG>SHITTTTTTTT!!!!!!!

this requires me moving the splashguards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but the stock screw was almost the same thing, in fact, it was like 1.5" - 2" of rubber i think....

the one that came with the aem, was fucked, the nut wouldnt go down...</STRONG>
dude, i still can't believe it took you 11 hours...you could of gone to sears and bought all the tools for like 20$

SILVER-GREAT-WHITE-TYPE-S 07-18-2001 04:27 PM

<STRONG>ok i just woke up, and everything is fucked.

i wrote that message taking naps in between everysentence like an old man...i SERIUUOSLY passed out on my bed RIGHT after that post.

ok i am glad you guys found it funny, but most the time we were looking for tools, WTF, so what if i called it the ticking thing, i am not a mechanic, plus at the toronto cl meet, when i asked where to get it done, everyone said do it yourself even though i said i dont know shit.

yes i regret writing that shit up there, but i wasnt thinking, i was TIRED. haha you guys got a good laugh atleast.. ok now i have some questions..

Honestly, the installation was not worth it, and it was only fun at the very end... at the point where we wanted to tow the car, it was really bad...felt like shit, but it came through

BTW we took NO BREAKS, 11 hours was straight installing/tool hunting, now my whole sleeping schedule is FUCKED.

Ok guys, go ahead and laugh, cause its all good, but try to answer some questions too, thanks..</STRONG>

at least you where not a pussy and had it installed by some shop... look at it this way you did not have to spend any money..you live and you learn i will not lol at you at least you tried....some times in life you have to step up to the plate and not let mommy spoon feed you...GOOD JOB
:D :D

amir was here 07-18-2001 04:34 PM

Originally posted by CLpower:
<STRONG>

dude, i still can't believe it took you 11 hours...you could of gone to sears and bought all the tools for like 20$</STRONG>
believe it....

but you know what, at around 5am, it was cool, both me and my bud were kinda having fun with it, like we smoked our cigarretes the way the mechanics do..haha, well, at the begining, i kinda tried real hard to get my hands dirty to get that feeling, when taking the spalshgaurd off, i realized, no need to TRY...

ChodTheWacko 07-18-2001 04:42 PM

<STRONG>this requires me moving the splashguards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the one that came with the aem, was fucked, the nut wouldnt go down...</STRONG>
Was it? Maybe you're okay then. Well,
check your filter to make sure it's not jammed against the bottom.

Another option is to pull out the push-screws
and use a twist-tie or something to keep the
splash guard in. That way there's no point sticking straight up for the filter to land on.

The push-screws should be relatively easy to pull out once you get the hang of it. Just pop out the middle slightly then pull the whole thing out. It took me a while to figure get my first once out, but after that it was cake.

amir was here 07-18-2001 04:56 PM

Originally posted by ChodTheWacko:
<STRONG>

Was it? Maybe you're okay then. Well,
check your filter to make sure it's not jammed against the bottom.

Another option is to pull out the push-screws
and use a twist-tie or something to keep the
splash guard in. That way there's no point sticking straight up for the filter to land on.

The push-screws should be relatively easy to pull out once you get the hang of it. Just pop out the middle slightly then pull the whole thing out. It took me a while to figure get my first once out, but after that it was cake.</STRONG>
ok i think the clearance from the splashgaurd to filter was like 1-2cm...