Introducing Infinite Scroll

Old 04-18-2018, 01:01 PM
IB Staff

Received 194 Likes on 99 Posts
Introducing Infinite Scroll

Introducing a new, simpler way to read AcuraZine: Infinite Scroll! Now, instead of needing to click "Next" in a thread to keep reading additional posts, you will see a layout that automatically loads the next page of a thread as you scroll. We've also updated a few other parts of the layout so they remain easily accessible while you read, including access to thread search, a button to jump to the first unread post, and a Quick Reply box that lets you type a reply while scrolling through the thread content.

We're happy to answer any questions you may have about the new functionality right here in this thread. If you would like to keep the standard thread view with separate pages, or remove the related threads that appear at a thread's end, head to your Setting's Edit Options page and simply disable “Infinite Scroll” or “Related Threads." Please note that these options only apply to the desktop version of AcuraZine.
The following 3 users liked this post by IB Jason:
cnorthcu (05-19-2018), demosan (05-04-2018), horseshoez (04-18-2018)
Old 04-18-2018, 01:04 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Sounds cool!
Old 04-18-2018, 03:28 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Received 10,112 Likes on 6,104 Posts
It's like RES (Reddit Enhancement Suite) for AZ
Old 04-18-2018, 03:39 PM
Latent car nut

@IB Jason, I take it you're they same guy I've worked with from time to time on blocking IP address over on the Honda Accord forum. Nice to see you over here as well.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:58 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Honestly, I'm not one to be afraid of change.. but this infinite scroll is really starting to annoy me.

Whenever I try scrolling to the top of the page, I got knocked down half a page, each and every time. I need to scroll up a half dozen times before I stay up at the top of the page.

The "new post" button keeps on disappearing. Not sure if related. But annoying.

It now takes longer to load each page, especially ones with a lot of photos, and requires constant scrolling, to either stay at the bottom (so you can type a response), or to get to the top of the page.

Oh, I'm sure it's unrelated, but, I noticed posting pictures was an issue too. If there was any writing in the dialogue box, the picture-link button, wouldn't work at all. At least yesterday it didn't.
The following 3 users liked this post by TacoBello:
kurtatx (04-19-2018), pttl (04-19-2018), Sarlacc (05-07-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 03:47 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,018 Likes on 2,496 Posts
Takes some getting used to it but it's better!
Old 04-19-2018, 04:12 PM
IB Staff

Originally Posted by horseshoez
@IB Jason, I take it you're they same guy I've worked with from time to time on blocking IP address over on the Honda Accord forum. Nice to see you over here as well.
Yep, one in the same. I didn't realize you were an AcuraZine member - nice to see you here, too!

Originally Posted by TacoBello
Honestly, I'm not one to be afraid of change.. but this infinite scroll is really starting to annoy me.

Whenever I try scrolling to the top of the page, I got knocked down half a page, each and every time. I need to scroll up a half dozen times before I stay up at the top of the page.

The "new post" button keeps on disappearing. Not sure if related. But annoying.

It now takes longer to load each page, especially ones with a lot of photos, and requires constant scrolling, to either stay at the bottom (so you can type a response), or to get to the top of the page.

Oh, I'm sure it's unrelated, but, I noticed posting pictures was an issue too. If there was any writing in the dialogue box, the picture-link button, wouldn't work at all. At least yesterday it didn't.
Thanks for the feedback. For the scrolling issue, what may be happening is that as you scroll up, the previous pages of the thread are loading in. It shouldn't physically move your place on the page, though. What type of device (laptop, phone, tablet) and browser are you using when this occurs? This info can also help us troubleshoot the picture posting bug you described as well.

Regarding the New Post button, are you referring to the link to the New Posts page, the button that jumps you to the first unread post in a thread, or something else?
Old 04-19-2018, 04:20 PM
Team Owner

This happens (the jumping screen) on my desktop computer, using two different browsers, and on my iPad, regularly. What's weird is it will still happen, even after the page appears to be fully loaded.

And yes, I was referring to the "new post" button at the top. It seems to occasionally dissapear in some threads. Sometimes it's in the orange banner at the top. Sometimes it's a few lines lower, in a baby blue row of buttons, and sometimes it's gone altogether.
The following 2 users liked this post by TacoBello:
pttl (04-19-2018), Whiskers (04-24-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 08:42 PM
My first Avatar....

Received 5,803 Likes on 3,724 Posts
HATE IT!!!!

Read Taco's 1st post almost exactly the same issues.

Old 04-20-2018, 12:07 PM
IB Staff

This happens (the jumping screen) on my desktop computer, using two different browsers, and on my iPad, regularly. What's weird is it will still happen, even after the page appears to be fully loaded.

And yes, I was referring to the "new post" button at the top. It seems to occasionally dissapear in some threads. Sometimes it's in the orange banner at the top. Sometimes it's a few lines lower, in a baby blue row of buttons, and sometimes it's gone altogether.
Can you please link me to a thread where the jump is happening to you frequently? Or are you seeing it across all threads?

Thanks for the clarification on "New Posts." It exists in a few different spots, but is always available in our main navigation menu, which is the black bar along the top of the page. This bar disappears as you scroll to provide more space for the thread's content, but if you scroll up slightly, a slimmed down version of the same navigation bar will drop into view. In both forms, "New Posts" should be visible between Marketplace and How-Tos.
Old 04-24-2018, 06:07 AM
Go Giants

Received 1,231 Likes on 821 Posts
Hate this too
Old 04-24-2018, 06:26 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
LOL at everyone wanting to turn it off.
i had more texts and phone calls in the last week asking to turn it off than I have had in over 2 years
Old 04-24-2018, 07:44 AM
Latent car nut

I lived with the Infinite Scroll and Related Thread thing for nearly a week; couldn't get used to the jerkiness in the screen scrolling flow and the lack of continuity. I turned them both off today.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:50 AM
Team Owner

Wait. You can turn them off?! How?!
Old 04-24-2018, 09:51 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by IB Jason
Can you please link me to a thread where the jump is happening to you frequently? Or are you seeing it across all threads?

Thanks for the clarification on "New Posts." It exists in a few different spots, but is always available in our main navigation menu, which is the black bar along the top of the page. This bar disappears as you scroll to provide more space for the thread's content, but if you scroll up slightly, a slimmed down version of the same navigation bar will drop into view. In both forms, "New Posts" should be visible between Marketplace and How-Tos.
It happens in every single thread...
Old 04-24-2018, 09:53 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
find "user control panel"
it's a drop down menu in the orange header, next to your avatar.
once in User control panel, look to the left...tons of "edit " buttons. look for one called "edit options". it's about half way down page.
once in "edit options" scroll down to about halfway to find and uncheck the box named "infinite scroll and related threads"
The following 4 users liked this post by justnspace:
elessar (05-30-2018), frankjnjr (04-30-2018), TacoBello (04-24-2018), Terdbath (06-28-2018)
Old 04-24-2018, 06:35 PM
IB Staff

It happens in every single thread...
We'll see if we can recreate the issue on our end. When you enter a thread, do you tend to go straight to the latest post or start the beginning (i.e. the first post) and work your way down?
Old 04-24-2018, 07:25 PM
Latent car nut

I typically use the "last post" link in the list of new posts and then work my way up to the last post I read, then back down again. When I want to return to the top of the thread to get back to the New Posts link, sometimes I needed to hit the Home button three and four times before I'd finally get back to the top of the page. Other times I'd hit the End button to go to the bottom of the thread and end up in a different thread entirely. Both functionalities were annoying. If those issues can be solved I'd love to turn the scroll back on.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:01 PM
Team Owner

We'll see if we can recreate the issue on our end. When you enter a thread, do you tend to go straight to the latest post or start the beginning (i.e. the first post) and work your way down?
I click to the latest page and scroll down, from there. I find the issue happens more when I'm trying to scroll back up to the very top. That's generally when it'll skip back down half a page. Sometimes 3 or 4 times. Surprised you guys aren't experiencing the same. It happens to me on two different computers (one at home, one at work), using different browsers, and on my iPad. It seems to work on my phone, though.
Old 04-25-2018, 12:08 PM
IB Staff

Originally Posted by horseshoez
I typically use the "last post" link in the list of new posts and then work my way up to the last post I read, then back down again. When I want to return to the top of the thread to get back to the New Posts link, sometimes I needed to hit the Home button three and four times before I'd finally get back to the top of the page. Other times I'd hit the End button to go to the bottom of the thread and end up in a different thread entirely. Both functionalities were annoying. If those issues can be solved I'd love to turn the scroll back on.
If you're primarily scrolling up to use the New Posts link, I recommend that instead of jumping all the way to the top of the page via the Home key, please try scrolling up slightly with either your mouse or the arrow keys. This will trigger the main navigation menu to appear where you already are in the thread, allowing you to access the New Posts link without the need to scroll all the way up.

For the End button issue you're describing, you can specifically turn off just the Related Threads function via the same setting you used to disable infinite scroll. Doing this will keep the functionality of infinite scroll, where all the pages load in automatically, but hide the thread that appears at the bottom of the one you're reading.

I click to the latest page and scroll down, from there. I find the issue happens more when I'm trying to scroll back up to the very top. That's generally when it'll skip back down half a page. Sometimes 3 or 4 times. Surprised you guys aren't experiencing the same. It happens to me on two different computers (one at home, one at work), using different browsers, and on my iPad. It seems to work on my phone, though.
Thanks for the details. It looks like what's happening is that the loading of the previous page(s) is taking longer than the time it takes to scroll up. Once the page fully loads, it's placing you back where you would've been if it properly loaded in tandem with your scroll. We're now in the process of determining how we can improve this. In the meantime, as I mentioned to horseshoez above, if you're trying to scroll to the very top to access any menu options, they will drop down from the top with a slight scroll.
Old 04-25-2018, 12:54 PM
Team Owner

I really don't think it's the other pages loading. I can be on the same page for five minutes and try scrolling up, only to have the page jump down again. I actually noticed it happening on my phone too, now. Either way...
Old 04-25-2018, 04:43 PM
IB Staff

I really don't think it's the other pages loading. I can be on the same page for five minutes and try scrolling up, only to have the page jump down again. I actually noticed it happening on my phone too, now. Either way...
How far do you scroll before you're jumped back down? Do you see the full, orange AcuraZine banner before the jump occurs?

Thanks!
Old 05-03-2018, 12:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 232 Likes on 160 Posts
I too am not a fan of infinite scroll. I tried disabling it within my user settings, but the setting will not save. I must be an idiot, because I don't see a "Save Changes" button anywhere. Am I missing something?
The following users liked this post:
KeithL (06-16-2018)
Old 05-03-2018, 05:12 PM
IB Staff

Originally Posted by wusty23jd
I too am not a fan of infinite scroll. I tried disabling it within my user settings, but the setting will not save. I must be an idiot, because I don't see a "Save Changes" button anywhere. Am I missing something?
I went ahead and disabled infinite scroll on your account for you. For future reference, the "Save Changes" button is located under the final set of Miscellanous Options, right above the banner at the bottom of the page.
Old 05-03-2018, 05:50 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am unable to locate the save button after disabling both “Infinite Scroll” & “Related Threads" Please help! Thanks
Old 05-03-2018, 07:48 PM
IB Staff

Sorry, it looks like we have a bug that's unintentionally hiding the Save Changes button. We're working on a fix now.

MiaQbn23, I manually disabled your infinite scroll and related threads.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention!
Old 05-04-2018, 09:02 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 232 Likes on 160 Posts
Okay, great thanks for doing so IB Jason . And thanks to MiaQbn23 for making me not look like a moron lol.
Old 05-07-2018, 11:55 AM
The Third Ball

Received 4,824 Likes on 2,571 Posts
I HATE this.

Makes it damn near impossible to scroll back to the top of pages on a desktop.

Its similar on an iPhone or iPad (I use the full site because the mobile sucks) tapping the top of the screen to return to the top of the page is met with same issues as trying to scroll up on a desktop. So, you have to keep tapping the top several times before it will finally reload enough to let you access the top of the page.

I want to be able to turn this crap off.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sarlacc:
KeithL (06-16-2018), Whiskers (05-07-2018)
Old 05-07-2018, 12:45 PM
IB Staff

Originally Posted by Sarlacc
I HATE this.

Makes it damn near impossible to scroll back to the top of pages on a desktop.

Its similar on an iPhone or iPad (I use the full site because the mobile sucks) tapping the top of the screen to return to the top of the page is met with same issues as trying to scroll up on a desktop. So, you have to keep tapping the top several times before it will finally reload enough to let you access the top of the page.

I want to be able to turn this crap off.
Thank you for the feedback. On the desktop version of the site, we provide quick access to the menus and links at the top of the page with a slight scroll up with your mouse. This will cause the main site navigation to drop down from the top and meet you where you are, instead of you needing to go all the way up to it. Is there something specific you're trying to reach at the top of the page that you don't see in the drop-down?

If you prefer, the desktop version of infinite scroll can also be disabled outright. The option is usually available in your Settings menu's Edit Options page, but right now there is a bug that prevents the ability to save your preference. I'm happy to manually disable infinite scroll on your account for you. Just let me know.
Old 05-07-2018, 02:22 PM
The Third Ball

Thank you for the feedback. On the desktop version of the site, we provide quick access to the menus and links at the top of the page with a slight scroll up with your mouse. This will cause the main site navigation to drop down from the top and meet you where you are, instead of you needing to go all the way up to it. Is there something specific you're trying to reach at the top of the page that you don't see in the drop-down?

If you prefer, the desktop version of infinite scroll can also be disabled outright. The option is usually available in your Settings menu's Edit Options page, but right now there is a bug that prevents the ability to save your preference. I'm happy to manually disable infinite scroll on your account for you. Just let me know.
Yes, I noticed the drop down. It seems to be fully working now as it wasn't before. And I noticed the not being able to save glitch.

Yes, please disable it on my account for the time being, Thank you!
Old 05-07-2018, 03:39 PM
IB Staff

Originally Posted by Sarlacc
Yes, I noticed the drop down. It seems to be fully working now as it wasn't before. And I noticed the not being able to save glitch.

Yes, please disable it on my account for the time being, Thank you!
No problem, both are now disabled on your account.
Old 05-07-2018, 08:03 PM
The Third Ball

No problem, both are now disabled on your account.
much better. Thank you.
Old 05-08-2018, 04:59 PM
IB Staff

Hey Everyone,

Just wanted to let you know that the "Save Changes" button is now correctly displaying on the Edit Option page of your Settings. Should you need to make any adjustments, you now can again.

Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
frankjnjr (05-09-2018)
Old 06-06-2018, 06:02 PM
Super Car Enthusiast

Received 190 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
find "user control panel"
it's a drop down menu in the orange header, next to your avatar.
once in User control panel, look to the left...tons of "edit " buttons. look for one called "edit options". it's about half way down page.
once in "edit options" scroll down to about halfway to find and uncheck the box named "infinite scroll and related threads"
Old 06-16-2018, 06:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Just stating I disabled infinite scroll, did not like it.
Old 06-16-2018, 07:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
Just stating I disabled infinite scroll, did not like it.
Same here! I also noticed, when I disabled infinite scroll, that Very Annoying (POP-UP) in the lower right quadrant of the screen, disappeared, as well. I'm all for change, and really enjoy, and appreciate this Forum, and it's structure. The thing that turned me off, to infinite scroll, was having to scroll through numerous posts, for which I had no interest. The page selection method, is much more efficient, IMO.