Zainoff at PAA meet!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2002, 11:52 AM
'Cooter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zainoff at PAA meet!!

check this out:

let's do a contest for the best Zaino job...entry fee will b like $5...winner gets 1 of everything (Z1, Z2, Z5, Z6, Z7, clay bar, and leather treatment)...and maybe we'll have 2nd and 3rd places where u get something like a Z2/Z5 combo, things like that.

i'll organize everything, from setting up the voting to awarding the prizes...all i need is enough people to participate, otherwise it's not really worth the fun

so u think it's worth havin??? i do

plus the winners get full bragging rights as the OFFICIAL Zaino masters of the year!!
Old 04-15-2002, 11:59 AM
East Coast Boost.!

Cool

Scooter

I'm new to this forum and i'm trying to learn as much as i can. I live in Herricks. My CL-S 6-Speed is coming on saturday. I'm gonna hook it up a bit. Do you have a lot of experience with zaino? I've never used it before so i really have no clue what to do. When i buy it, do you think you could show me how to apply it. Only for the first time? If ur online, you can Im me at Titand19. Thanks
Old 04-15-2002, 12:11 PM
'Cooter

Re: Cool

Originally posted by Titand19
Scooter

I'm new to this forum and i'm trying to learn as much as i can. I live in Herricks. My CL-S 6-Speed is coming on saturday. I'm gonna hook it up a bit. Do you have a lot of experience with zaino? I've never used it before so i really have no clue what to do. When i buy it, do you think you could show me how to apply it. Only for the first time? If ur online, you can Im me at Titand19. Thanks
cool...u should stop by when u get it...we live like 15 minutes from each other

Zaino is a great polish/wax to use for our CL's...other members here can vouch for it's effectiveness
Old 04-15-2002, 12:21 PM
trying to get a lil V-I

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just out of curiosity, how do you plan on judging this Zaino-Off
Old 04-15-2002, 12:47 PM
Team Owner

I’m definitely in, but I need to rent some “shade time” locally that morning to do a final cleanup/wipe down.
How about all contestants have access to the Park Ave “detailing” area before the meet?

Last year I had several hundred bugs on the front of the car after my 100-mile trip out there.
Some WISE ASS (Mike) decided to take a close-up photo of my mirror and post it here later that night.
I brought along some cleaning supplies, but was unable to do much because it was so HOT & SUNNY there that day.

Or maybe instead of a “contest” we just pick the best looking of each color for some VIP parking up front for the day.

Shawn S
Old 04-15-2002, 01:41 PM
'Cooter

Originally posted by Shawn S
Or maybe instead of a “contest” we just pick the best looking of each color for some VIP parking up front for the day.

Shawn S
that could work...we could have the judging sometime into the meet...like i'll make an announcement and stuff...a few things tho:

1. since i'd like to participate also, i don't wanna cause conflict of interests, so if im to run the show, which i'd love to do believe me, my role will b recording votes, unless anyone has a better idea.

2. the fact that there are gonna b so many people there, participants are gonna b scattered all over the place, so i'd like to have a chit chat with Wayne/Pete and see if we can gather in a smaller section where judging can b a bit easier...only way to do that is to have some sort of idea who will participate

3. as far as awards go, since we'll have best for each color, i think we should have a couple Zaino awards instead of the complete kit...like maybe combo Z2/Z5/Z6 or something

4. finally, as far as interiors go, i don't think it's very fair to judge the car on its interior b/c on some colors, u get Ebony or Parchment, like on the reds and whites...i was hoping to keep the judging at as close to an apples to apples basis...i'd b happy to hear opinions on this point as well as any other points.
Old 04-15-2002, 02:02 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Random drawings tend to be the simplest way of having fun and keeping everyone happy. I would rather like to see a random drawing to win the zaino with the cost of the raffle equaling the cost of the product. ($100 worth of product @ $1.00 a ticket = 100 tickets to sell). People can buy up to 5 tickets if they wish and the money goes to the person who put out for the product.

If it is a competition then.....
Space is really tight at Park Ave Acura and with the volume of people that show up I think it may be hard to try and pull off a lineup. Your better off having some kind of 'Enrolled Banner' in your window for the judges.

Who will be the judge of this event? It has to be very impartial therefore anyone who is in the event can't decide the judge. Best bet is if you guys do this have 3 impartial people pulled either randomly to judge or have someone else not competing decide on who does the judging.

How do you know the person enrolled used Zaino? How funny would it be to have a meguires or Mothers fan win and laugh all the way to the first place spot. Your probably better off just making it 'best in show' just like they do for dogs .

Just trying to interject some diff. angles on this idea. I support it I just want it to go off without a hitch.
Old 04-15-2002, 02:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

And what about the light colors like silver that can't get the real Zaino shine, like red, or blue can.
Old 04-15-2002, 02:33 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by JasonT
And what about the light colors like silver that can't get the real Zaino shine, like red, or blue can.
We just need to work that much harder
Old 04-15-2002, 02:39 PM
Team Owner

Yea, maybe we don’t want to go too overboard on this.

I know for a fact that the color of your car has a lot to do with it too.
For instance, a silver, white or gold car wouldn’t stand a chance against a Black, Red or Blue.

I myself am finding it hard to get the kind of shine I got out of my RED car on my BLUE one.
I’ll still kick Scooter’s butt though.

Shawn S
Old 04-15-2002, 02:42 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

I myself am finding it hard to get the kind of shine I got out of my RED car on my BLUE one.
Shawn S

Oh come on now shawn. My mom's Eternal Blue accord looks SOOOO nice after a nice Zaino job.....absolutley no effort at all.
Old 04-15-2002, 02:42 PM
'Cooter

Originally posted by JasonT
there are ways to judge light-colored cars the same way as the dark-colored...swirlies, attention to detail like cracks or crevices, stuff like that...i dunno, maybe we can do an interior/exterior judging after all...it's up to u guys...i personally have reservations on red, white, and black, since the interiors vary, not like silver for example where it's all black, but if u guys don't have a problem with it, super!!

as far as judging goes, i was thinking we all judge, minus the entries, but if u guys have a more impartial way of judging, by all means let us know
Old 04-15-2002, 03:00 PM
Retired Post Whore

Re: Zainoff at PAA meet!!

Originally posted by Scooter
check this out:

let's do a contest for the best Zaino job...entry fee will b like $5...winner gets 1 of everything (Z1, Z2, Z5, Z6, Z7, clay bar, and leather treatment)...and maybe we'll have 2nd and 3rd places where u get something like a Z2/Z5 combo, things like that.

i'll organize everything, from setting up the voting to awarding the prizes...all i need is enough people to participate, otherwise it's not really worth the fun

so u think it's worth havin??? i do

plus the winners get full bragging rights as the OFFICIAL Zaino masters of the year!!
You have too much time on your hands, Scooter!
Old 04-15-2002, 03:01 PM
Moderator Alumnus

there are ways to judge light-colored cars the same way as the dark-colored...swirlies, attention to detail like cracks or crevices, stuff like that...i dunno, maybe we can do an interior/exterior judging after all...it's up to u guys...i personally have reservations on red, white, and black, since the interiors vary, not like silver for example where it's all black, but if u guys don't have a problem with it, super!!

as far as judging goes, i was thinking we all judge, minus the entries, but if u guys have a more impartial way of judging, by all means let us know
Simple,

If your in the competition you don't vote nor are you involved in the vote tallying or decision as to who judges. You have 3 impartial people picked from the crowd by someone overseeing the competition. These three people are simply shown the cars, asked which one's they liked the most, their votes are recorded and then shared with the person overseeing the event. Votes are tallied and prizes are handed out, fair enough>?
Old 04-15-2002, 03:10 PM
Team Owner

Last year Wayne had window inserts that we placed inside the car on the dashboard with our user name and MODS.

If there is going to be a Raffle (Comptech Headers I hope ) we could have people write the name of their winning car vote on the raffle ticket.

After I win the headers (oops, I mean after SOMEONE wins the headers ) you could then go through the tickets and count the votes.

Shawn S

PS.....Scooter,
If you really want to take this to the next level.
You, I or Wayne should contact Sal and I bet he will send over some complementary products for the contest.
Old 04-15-2002, 03:14 PM
'Cooter

Yea, maybe we don’t want to go too overboard on this.

I know for a fact that the color of your car has a lot to do with it too.
For instance, a silver, white or gold car wouldn’t stand a chance against a Black, Red or Blue.
this is y i wanna do a best in color category...then maybe a grand prize for best of show...something like that...so it's more fair for silvers to compete with each other, blues to compete with each other, etc...then the grand poobah of awards

as an alternative for judging, how bout 3, 4, 5 random people are selected (entries not allowed) and do a small-group judging??
Old 04-15-2002, 03:16 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Last year Wayne had window inserts that we placed inside the car on the dashboard with our user name and MODS.

If there is going to be a Raffle (Comptech Headers I hope ) we could have people write the name of their winning car vote on the raffle ticket.

After I win the headers (oops, I mean after SOMEONE wins the headers ) you could then go through the tickets and count the votes.

Shawn S

PS.....Scooter,
You, I or Wayne should contact Sal and I bet he will send over some complementary products for the contest.
Well, in my opinion, having judges simplifies the decisions and leaves no room for mistakes. After Wayne approves this (should be step number one) then maybe sal could drop a bottle or two our way
Old 04-15-2002, 03:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

I don't think any of you would stand a chance if I was still in my 20s or early 30s. My aunt use to tell me some years ago if a fly lands on your car he will break his leg. Now if I miss a spot the heck with it. I did wash the car today & put the car cover on for the first time this year. Its in the low 80s here today & I had to wash that green pollen off the car. I also cleaned the optional wheels & will try to put them on this week. Its in the 80s & Iam riding around on winter tires. We did not even get any winter this year but I was ready. I will have a coat of Zaino on the car when I get there.
Old 04-15-2002, 03:18 PM
'Cooter

PS.....Scooter,
u know i'm game...i think it's more up to everyone else to give feedback as to whether they like the idea or not...we all can work on little details later...first thing's fukin last ...do people wanna do this??
Old 04-15-2002, 03:19 PM
'Cooter

Originally posted by eclipse23

After Wayne approves this (should be step number one) then maybe sal could drop a bottle or two our way
way ahead of u partner
Old 04-15-2002, 09:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
You really need to come up with some formula so us old TLers/CLers have a fighting chance. Although I think my 99 looks better than a lot of the 2001 and 2002s out there.
Old 04-15-2002, 09:59 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by NSXNEXT
You really need to come up with some formula so us old TLers/CLers have a fighting chance. Although I think my 99 looks better than a lot of the 2001 and 2002s out there.
I gotta give you props man, your car does look nice as hell
Old 04-15-2002, 10:21 PM
'Cooter

so what would u think is more fair...grouping all TL's and all CL's together?? or having classes of TL's and CL's, such as best in show for 1st G CL and '97-'99 TL (just an example, not sure of the accuracy)??

i personally think we should group according to color only...doesn't matter if u're a new TL or an old TL

and a further suggestion on judging...how would u feel if we did a random drawing of judges, anywhere between 3 and 5, similar to the drawing Wayne had last year?? (u get a ticket with a number, and Wayne picks tickets out of a raffle basket) do u feel that's about as fair and impartial as u can get??
Old 04-16-2002, 06:57 AM
Senior Moderator

Thanks Ernie for the compliment. Can't wait to see your car in person. Seen lots of pics, but nothing in person.

I think one of the best tests is to bring the car inside under the fluoroescent lights in the shop. Outside in the sun it's gonna be hard to tell the difference between any of the light colors, white, silver, gold.

How about a factor based on the year of your car?

99 + 4 points
00 + 3 points
01 + 2 points
02 + 1 points
03 + points

That way 03s have to be that much more beautiful than my old rusty 99

I know my car looks good, but there is not way I will compete against an 03. I got the everyday scratches and dings that 03s won't have.

Whatever you all decide is cool. I just wanna hang out with the other Acura Fanatics.
Old 04-16-2002, 07:27 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Neil,

Don't forget your coolest mod, your printshop mod list LOL
Old 04-16-2002, 07:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by eclipse23
Neil,

Don't forget your coolest mod, your printshop mod list LOL
Hey I'd do one for you, but you probably wouldn't be able to see the car behind it.
Old 04-16-2002, 08:29 AM
'Cooter

Thanks Ernie for the compliment. Can't wait to see your car in person. Seen lots of pics, but nothing in person.

I think one of the best tests is to bring the car inside under the fluoroescent lights in the shop. Outside in the sun it's gonna be hard to tell the difference between any of the light colors, white, silver, gold.

How about a factor based on the year of your car?

99 + 4 points
00 + 3 points
01 + 2 points
02 + 1 points
03 + points

That way 03s have to be that much more beautiful than my old rusty 99

I know my car looks good, but there is not way I will compete against an 03. I got the everyday scratches and dings that 03s won't have.

Whatever you all decide is cool. I just wanna hang out with the other Acura Fanatics.

yeah i'm liking this idea...based on the year of the car, u get a few bonus points...but the color's still compete against each other

as far as the lighting, i agree the fluorescent lights will b very helpful...only potential problem is whether the shop will b in use or not...maybe Wayne can help us out in this area.
Old 04-16-2002, 10:24 AM
Certified Lurker

I personaly dont want to get involved in all the legistics of the compition, but i have been saying this for a while in various posts that i want to do this, just no one seemed to hear me. I think its a great idea and will add a little extra fun/flavor to the meet. Just keep us updated with the plan for it, and hope that its ok with wayne.

But im definitly down.......o well actualy i dont know if i like this whole color against color idea, then i got to face Shawn :o :P
Old 04-16-2002, 10:42 AM
Senior Moderator

I think you have to split it out by color. Comparing a red or blue to a silver is unfair. Even a half-assed job cleaning an ABP would kill my silver.

So how bout this:

Silver/Gold/Heather mist/White
Blue
Red
Black

99 + 4 points
00 + 3 points
01 + 2 points
02 + 1 points
03 + 0 points

I say break it out by category

Swirls, or lack of them
Reflection
Smoothness of paint

Anything else?
Old 04-16-2002, 11:31 AM
'Cooter

I think you have to split it out by color. Comparing a red or blue to a silver is unfair. Even a half-assed job cleaning an ABP would kill my silver.

So how bout this:

Silver/Gold/Heather mist/White
Blue
Red
Black

99 + 4 points
00 + 3 points
01 + 2 points
02 + 1 points
03 + 0 points

I say break it out by category

Swirls, or lack of them
Reflection
Smoothness of paint

Anything else?
yeah i was thinking of categories, however regarding smoothness of paint, a 3-4 year old car is not gonna b nearly as smooth just from normal wear & tear, so we need to explore whether the handicap is justified

expanding on that point, perhaps we should do a 1 - 10 scale for each category, 10 being highest rating and 1 the worst

as far as blemishes on the car, such as dings, dents, scratches, etc. that's pretty hard to hide...i would think these visuals should not b taken into consideration when judging the paint

for best of show, is there more u wanna judge on?? like if we judge best in show the same way that we judge the best color, it kinda defeats the purpose of having this award...BTW, best color awards should NOT b eligable for best of show award, unless u wanna have best colors compete exclusively for best of show..thoughts???
Old 04-16-2002, 12:03 PM
Team Owner

You guys have some great ideas in terms of judging, categories, awards, ratings & such, but we seem to have one small problem.

Lack of anyone signing up.

Shawn S
Old 04-16-2002, 12:10 PM
Senior Moderator

You should judge it like a typical car show. They look under the hood, wheel wells, undercarriage, etc.

Unfortunately I think dings and scratches are a part of the judging. Obviously the older the car, the more dings and scratches, but that's what the points are for.

I dunno, this may get too crazy. Don't wanna start pissing people off at PAA's meet.
Old 04-16-2002, 02:04 PM
'Cooter

You should judge it like a typical car show. They look under the hood, wheel wells, undercarriage, etc.

Unfortunately I think dings and scratches are a part of the judging. Obviously the older the car, the more dings and scratches, but that's what the points are for.

I dunno, this may get too crazy. Don't wanna start pissing people off at PAA's meet.
hehe yeah, i was thinking bout that when i called this competition "Zainoff"...it would just b based on how the paint looks, feels, reflects, etc.

i didn't wanna start getting into the interior, wheels & tires (scratched rim club), hood, trunk, door sills, etc. ya know??
Old 04-16-2002, 02:08 PM
'Cooter

but Shawn's right...noone's really jumping at the opportunity, which kinda sux since there are so many Zaino addicts like me on the boards

let's give it til the end of the week to give an indication on whether we should proceed or not
Old 04-16-2002, 02:33 PM
Senior Moderator

How bout we just park next to each other and let the others drool.

Silver, Red, and Blue shining in the sun.......oh yeah
Old 04-16-2002, 02:43 PM
'Cooter

How bout we just park next to each other and let the others drool.

Silver, Red, and Blue shining in the sun.......oh yeah
that's cool, just confine the drool away from the Zaino
Old 04-16-2002, 02:51 PM
Team Owner

but Shawn's right...noone's really jumping at the opportunity, which kinda sux since there are so many Zaino addicts like me on the boards
I guess they’re afraid of the competition.

Shawn S
Old 04-16-2002, 02:55 PM
'Cooter

I guess they’re afraid of the competition.

Shawn S
that's bs, and u know it...u've read some of the sigs here as much as i have, and people have 12 coats of Z, too many coats to count, etc.