12-13-2008 2nd Annual TexasRxs Hill Country Christmas Run

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 01:13 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
12-13-2008 2nd Annual TexasRxs Hill Country Christmas Run

Hey all,
Last year I was tasked with coming up with a Christmas themed run for the TexasRxs car club, the route worked out so well and we had such a good time we decided to make it an annual gig so on Saturday the 13th we'll be leaving for an entire day of twisties, sight seeing, some shopping, and mega Christmas lights to finish it off.

Details are as follows:

MEET 10am-Albertson's vacant lot @Oakhill "Y". I can try and arrange a North Austin meetup spot prior to 10 if necessary, or we can all just meet at the Albertson's and leave it at that.

LEAVE 10:30am-Wimberley, Blanco-lunch, Fredericksburg, Johnson City (the most lights anywhere)/Silver K Cafe.

HOME/ (hopefully)deer free by 290W.

Route details from last year (same route, different date and meeting location so just gloss over the first few lines until you get to where it mentions the "y" in oak hill) )in .doc format are at this link./

I've cut and pasted them in the thread for the lazy peoples to give you an idea, it's an all day, 3-4 town deal and it's pretty easy to bail out at anytime if you don't want to make the whole trip, although I do recommend the lights in Johnson City at some point over the holidays even if you don't make it this run.

These directions were taken from last year, but you get the idea, feel free to pm me with any questions, I should have maps printed out and ready to go by then for handing out as well.

 Right on 290 heading South at the “Y” in glorious Oak Hill
 Left at light on to 1826 (Camp Ben Mculloch) heading South
 Left at 150 heading South
 Right at 3237 (I believe there is a Valero service station here for a rest stop)
 Left on to RR12
 Right on to RM32 and on our way to the “devil’s backbone”
 Right on to 281
 281 to Blanco and lunch at Sunset Grill, overflow can eat at Riley’s BBQ or there is also a Tex-Mex Restaurant in the same area, all within yards of each other.
 For those who want to head back after Blanco, take 165 heading North to Henly, Henly comes out right at 290 where if you take a right it will take you right back to Austin, or the more direct/boring route is 281 straight up the road to 290 and a right once you get there as well.
2nd Section (Blanco to Fredericksburg)
 Leave Blanco at 1:30ish
 Left on to 1623 (river on left…oooohh pretty!)
 Left on 290 then Right on 1623 (cross over Pedernales river)
 Left at 2721
 2721 turns into 1631 after Stop sign and which takes us straight to Fredericksburg
 Early leavers here can take 281 out of Fredericksburg straight to Johnson City, then right at Johnson City on to 290 heading south back towards Austin.

3rd Section (Fredericksburg to Johnson City and home afterwards)

 Arrive at Fredericksburg around 2:30 or for shopping, checking out decorations, whoever skipped lunch can eat here as well. We can park next to the firehouse, check out the town for 2 hours, meet back at firehouse at 4:30 and leave to go to Johnson City. Lots of great gift ideas in the shops here. =)
 Leave Fredericksburg on 16N (Left at light)
 Right on 1323 (Knot Limp/Loop Saloon sign)
 Right on Willow City Loop (cattle guards and loose livestock, beware the future hamburgers!)
 Right on 281 South to Johnson city
 Right on 290W then a left on Ave F and awesome lights and Silver K café for dinner!
 To go home we take 281 and then a right on 290, or some folks can take 281 all the way to I35, whichever works best etc.
 Finish things off by possibly visiting Domain for fireworks or even swinging by Zilker and the tree etc. if anyone is still up for it.

So there you go, a nice little trip in the spirit of Christmas and loaded with gorgeous hill country roads and scenery, hope to see you there and it's open to anyone
Old 11-30-2008, 05:39 PM
07 TL-S

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
never been that route but i know that it gives you a really good view of the beautiful texas hill country. i'll see if i can wake up that early as i have a party to goto the prior night
i thought about taking that route alone in the past as its therapeutic but it would be a blast to go with others as well
Old 12-01-2008, 09:55 AM
Advanced

cool man, if you're in San Antonio you could meet us along the way somewhere as well, we pick up random cars on these runs all the time and anyone's welcome to join us
Old 12-05-2008, 12:50 PM
Advanced

taking a test run Sunday if anyone's interested, going to see if we can fit Marble Falls into the drive along with Johnson City for the lights. I'll be at the "Y" in Oak Hill at noon