ZDX vs. X6

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 05:51 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ZDX vs. X6

Between the ZDX and the BMW X6 – which do you think would win out in terms of overall performance? I already prefer the styling and design of the ZDX (sportier, sleeker), but curious which car offers a better ride?
<o:p> </o:p>

Vs.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:28 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,651 Likes on 1,116 Posts
Since the ZDX does not offer a V8, I would think the X6 wins in handling and performance, but both are subjective. It's up to you how you think each has their strong points.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:31 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,824 Likes on 2,571 Posts
X6 all the way. It actually looks good.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

The X6 has way more torque than the ZDX and a V8 so performance-wise the X6 would win (plus it has BMW handling).

When choosing between the 2 it simply comes down to, are you willing to pay a few thousand bucks more for a better badge or are you content with an Acura.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:40 AM
Safety Car

Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts
i sat in the ZDX on Sunday. 59k sticker. the back seats are extremely claustrophic. your head is encompassed by a pocket in the ceiling. the inside of the car feels like an upside-down canoe. it did NOT feel like a safe place to be - even while the car was sitting still in the showroom. having adults back there during a 30+ min trip would not be a good idea. honestly, the back seat of my 01 CL is more comforting. also, the trunk could only hold maybe 2 pieces of luggage without obstructing the view out the back.

all in all, i really think my CL would be better at hauling 4 ppl and gear for a road trip. that said, the usability of the ZDX is no different than a 4 seater coupe. and for a 59k sticker, these DINKs are optionless. hell, why not get an S5?

Last edited by ThermonMermon; 01-26-2010 at 08:42 AM.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:53 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by ThermonMermon
i sat in the ZDX on Sunday. 59k sticker. the back seats are extremely claustrophic. your head is encompassed by a pocket in the ceiling. the inside of the car feels like an upside-down canoe. it did NOT feel like a safe place to be - even while the car was sitting still in the showroom. having adults back there during a 30+ min trip would not be a good idea. honestly, the back seat of my 01 CL is more comforting. also, the trunk could only hold maybe 2 pieces of luggage without obstructing the view out the back.

all in all, i really think my CL would be better at hauling 4 ppl and gear for a road trip. that said, the usability of the ZDX is no different than a 4 seater coupe. and for a 59k sticker, these DINKs are optionless. hell, why not get an S5?
And where or when did Acura mention that this is supposed to be a UTILITY vehicle? We're comparing the X6 to the ZDX...both are stylish new niche vehicles that aren't to be confused with any normal SUV on the market.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:05 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by CraigMacDTA
And where or when did Acura mention that this is supposed to be a UTILITY vehicle? We're comparing the X6 to the ZDX...both are stylish new niche vehicles that aren't to be confused with any normal SUV on the market.
the X6 is much more user friendly.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:20 PM
Safety Car

and dont be a smart-ass. im simply stating that the rear seats are unusable. niche or no niche, its poor execution - almost downright unacceptable to the point that it is borderline insulting. its misleading when acura offers rear doors and states that is seats five. let's call it what it really is: a coupe with rear jump-seats...the interior setup of a Isuzu VehiCross.

If you want me to compare to the X6, fine...at least the BMW has more honesty and integrity by limiting the seating to 4 - which, BTW, could actually "seat" people in the back comfortably.

Last edited by ThermonMermon; 01-26-2010 at 01:22 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:53 PM
Safety Car

Rear Headroom: 37" (X6) - 35" (ZDX)
Rear Leg: 36 - 31
Rear shoulder: 57 - 55
Old 01-26-2010, 05:03 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ThermonMermon
Rear Headroom: 37" (X6) - 35" (ZDX)
Rear Leg: 36 - 31
Rear shoulder: 57 - 55
That's much better than comparing it to your CL Great, so the ZDX is a little more "cramped" than the X6.

It's usually best if one drives both, back to back, before determining a winner no?
Old 01-26-2010, 05:09 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
IMHO - Neither.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:39 PM
Safety Car

That's much better than comparing it to your CL Great, so the ZDX is a little more "cramped" than the X6.

It's usually best if one drives both, back to back, before determining a winner no?
true. but not to mention, that 35" headroom feels more like < 30", as the top trim of the side window is at eye level.

oh, and just for shits, the CL rear headroom is 36.7"
Old 01-26-2010, 09:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Infiniti FX50

Costs about $3k more than a ZDX tech in Canada
Old 01-27-2010, 10:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Performance wise, I'm sure the X6 wins. But I prefer the styling of the ZDX.

Interior comfort (particularly the back seat) would be a concern, though.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:12 PM
5th Gear

Well after hearing all of that, I think I may be leaning toward the X6 - I guess, for me, performance and comfort trump style in this particular scenario. I hear Jeremy Clarkson will be testing out the X6 this season on Top Gear so I'm curious what he's gonna say. Well thanks guys! I have some new perspective on these two.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:33 PM
Senior Moderator

X6 Top Gear review:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkxAd7Er-mQ
Old 01-29-2010, 01:36 PM
5th Gear

Nice, thx for the vid.. I was just looking into it - it's actually for next season here in the US which is why I haven't seen it yet!
Old 01-29-2010, 11:31 PM
Safety Car

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
top gear review on x6 is pretty funny
Old 01-30-2010, 04:11 PM
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts
I always like Clarksons reviews as they are usually funny but i sure dont put much or any value in them. You could tell right from the start when he didnt like the looks of it that he was going to slam the X6. How he exaggerated the the rough ride and better yet the traction problem's where outstanding. When you have the 20" sport package summer only performance tires on, how well do you think its going to perform up wet grassy hills or driving up hills at a ski resort?

We are still excited and waiting for our Acura dealer to call when they get a ZDX in as we are seriously considering the two. After initial comparisons though, these two vehicles are not even close in our opinion with the exception of how Acura copied the exterior concept/design.

The X6 chassis is its own design and not borrowed from another model and still seems to handle well and yet has a towing capacity 3X better than the ZDX. The AWD drive system is more advanced along with a nicer drivetrain. Im 6'4" 215 lbs and can fit comfortably in the rear of the X6 (i havent sat in the ZDX yet but by looking at the dimensions, its going to be close being the X6 is much larger) and of course the overall quality.

We are going to keep an open mind when we can finally drive a ZDX but from a technical comparison, these two vehicles arent even really close except for exterior looks (and the X6 is much better IMO although im reserving judgment untill i can see a ZDX in person) and are probably for two different people.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:42 PM
2011 ZCP E92 M3!!

X6 M is worth the 80k more than the zdx advance at 60k
Old 02-01-2010, 06:52 PM
2011 ZCP E92 M3!!

Originally Posted by minkl81
top gear review on x6 is pretty funny
it sure is
Old 02-01-2010, 09:17 PM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by dave_ramkumar
X6 M is worth the 80k more than the zdx advance at 60k
how about you get a CPO MDX for about $30k... cheaper, better, more practical... the ZDX just looks like an MDX with less space in the back...

the ZDX and X6 are worthless vehicles. no one is going to offroad any of them. you can only fit 4 people. they are NOT performance cars - when you compare them to the sedan versions of the cars they emulate.. run a TL-SH-AWD or a 550i against a top of the line ZDX / X6 and gee....which one will win in acceleration and handling??? not the ZDX / X6...

these things must cater to people who think they should have an SUV but don't really need one...and can't make up their mind what they want..

i'm with clarkson. i dont like these things.

i loved the part where the land rover passes him on the hill as his wheels spin...
Old 02-01-2010, 11:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
How about those of us who want more room than a sedan (not to mention the extra door) but don't want a big boxy SUV?
Old 02-02-2010, 07:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by jhr3uva90
How about those of us who want more room than a sedan (not to mention the extra door) but don't want a big boxy SUV?
I agree. The hatch style is very handy for hauling stuff once in a while. I'm not one who needs an SUV every day, but when I want to take my bike or load up the Christmas tree, etc., I have a hard time in my car, even with the folding rear seats. The opening just isn't big enough and I really have to wrangle my bike to get it to fit. It's very annoying. A hatch-style vehicle is perfect for me, as I don't want a big cumbersome SUV day in and day out.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:44 PM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
i sat in the ZDX at an auto show. the interior is certainly nice but wow is the rear seating/headroom small. i'm 5'11" and my head is touching the roof. had to sit hunchback. my lady is 5'3" and she had to duck quite a bit just to get in/out of the rear seat.

who knows if you could even fit a mt bike back there. if you want more room than a sedan you're better off waiting for the tsx wagon.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:04 AM
Three Wheelin'

Why would I go from an Acura RL to a TSX wagon? I have driven the current-generation TSX and it is a very fun car. However, it does not have nearly the features or refinement of an RL. The MDX also feels cheap compared to the RL, in my opinion. So if I were to buy a car soon (and I hope I don't have to buy one any time soon), it would either be an Acura ZDX or I would leave the brand altogether.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:59 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Infamous425
i sat in the ZDX at an auto show. the interior is certainly nice but wow is the rear seating/headroom small. i'm 5'11" and my head is touching the roof. had to sit hunchback. my lady is 5'3" and she had to duck quite a bit just to get in/out of the rear seat.

who knows if you could even fit a mt bike back there. if you want more room than a sedan you're better off waiting for the tsx wagon.
The TSX wagon is exactly what I'm waiting for. The ZDX seems too cramped and is out of my price range anyway. The TSX will also get better MPG.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:02 PM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Why would I go from an Acura RL to a TSX wagon? I have driven the current-generation TSX and it is a very fun car. However, it does not have nearly the features or refinement of an RL. The MDX also feels cheap compared to the RL, in my opinion. So if I were to buy a car soon (and I hope I don't have to buy one any time soon), it would either be an Acura ZDX or I would leave the brand altogether.
well then i'd leave the brand. the ZDX is definitely no sedan replacement. a 4 door coupe, sure.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:32 PM
5th Gear

I'm 6'2" so I definitely couldn't handle the little-to-no-headroom situation...
Old 02-03-2010, 07:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

well then i'd leave the brand. the ZDX is definitely no sedan replacement. a 4 door coupe, sure.
I don't need a huge back seat as much as I need a back seat that folds down. Nobody sits in my back seat except the dog anyway, and I'd rather have a hatchback for him to jump into.

The ZDX is definitely NOT a mainstream vehicle, which is why I'll be pleasantly surprised if they reach their sales goals. But it is an interesting design. The ZDX addresses the two complaints I had about my 2005 RL. One, the RL has a generic look, while the ZDX doesn't really resemble anything on the road. Two, the RL doesn't have a fold-down rear seat, while the ZDX has a fold down rear seat plus lots of compartments. The MDX is probably the most logical choice for most folks, which is why it has always been a strong seller. I think basing a niche vehicle on the platform of one Acura's most popular models is a wise idea. Acura doesn't really need to sell a lot of ZDXs, I suppose. Hopefully, when the 2011 Acura ZDX is available to buy used, I'll be in a position to buy one.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The ZDX is definately a head-turner but the only thing really going for it is style. Performance, features, and value are just average or just competitive with the rest of the field. This is a car mainly to be seen in, that's all. I can see the ZDX as a vehicle catering mainly to women....as is the case with the Lexus RX......it's all about style.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:15 PM
Drifting

as I own both a 2007 MDX and 2006 RL, I agree, the RL is far nicer inside than the MDX...but the MDX is still a nice vehicle. the MDX is a great overall family car - it's not a huge SUV...but it is just big enough that it's practical.

My water heater died a couple weeks ago - I had no problem fitting the water heater in the back of the MDX. Last weekend I hauled a TON of stuff home from Ikea... that's not going to happen in a ZDX.

these crossover vehicles that claim to "do it all" don't do anything well.

I have an MDX as my family car. it is big, roomy, and fits strollers, and all that other "stuff" you need. I have an RL for me to cruise to work in - it's not very sporty, but it's VERY nicea nd I enjoy every minute in it as I sip my coffee and cruise back/forth to work. we use it for short family commutes and it is a GREAT freeway cruiser. not sporty but a GREAT cruising car. I have a porsche boxster for when I just want to have FUN.

cars are like women. none of them "do it all". for us married guys - you have a wife, and you try to find the best one you can. a good mom, ,a good wife, easy on the eyes, etc etc.. I haven't yet met a woman who is an M.D. and makes huge money, is beautiful, is a slut in bed, a great mother to her kids, and a wonderful wife/partner..... you can usually find a woman who is a couple of those...but not ALL.

do you want the MD who makes money and is gone all the time; OR
do you want the great wife/mommy, who is at home and makes no money; OR
do you want the hot ass $lut who will $uck and F*** your brains out but makes no money and hits the kids...

with women - you pick the best one you can find and you live with her forever.

with cars, you can have a wife and a mistress.... I have the MDX, the RL, and the Boxster. you know which one is hte slut don't you...

the ZDX is some nasty woman who claims she can do it all, but under that bad plastic surgery is a bitch...

I'm hoping my wife doens't read this forum.............. honestly, my wife is like all of those minus the money (and is in school to remedy that! eat your hearts out boys!

Last edited by 23109VC; 02-03-2010 at 09:16 PM. Reason: do I really want to post this??
Old 02-03-2010, 10:24 PM
Drifting

okay, I just watched the ZDX marketing video on Acura . com... while I still think the ZDX is somewhat ugly... maybre it will grow on me..

i like the multi angle back up camera...very cool.
i like the auto/power rear lift gate...wish my MDX had that..mine's an 07 so it's not standard

i can clearly see who this is marketed too... it's not me...not the guy with 3 kids. it's geared toward the upper class baby boomers who want some practicality of an SUV with somewhat of a sedan look/feel...

i'll reserve judgment...and see how it pans out.. it's not the "ugly B"....

it's not the mistress...it's not the mom...it's kind of like a MILF I think.... it's not as young/tight as the mistress/Boxster... it's more "mature" but still has stuff youw ant to play with... hahahahahhaha.

boxster - mistress
MDX - mom who can cook and clean and also is hot
ZDX - naughty MILF

okay, am i crazy or what...

i don't even want to know what a Pontiac Aztek is........
Old 02-04-2010, 12:49 AM
Three Wheelin'

That's great for people who can buy multiple Acuras, but some of us have to make due with one. I'll hold on to my RL for a good long while. But for me, if I had to choose between the MDX and the ZDX, I'd be one of those few strange people who go ZDX. I don't want or need anything quite so big or boxy as the MDX, practical as it is.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:00 AM
Drifting

That's great for people who can buy multiple Acuras, but some of us have to make due with one. I'll hold on to my RL for a good long while. But for me, if I had to choose between the MDX and the ZDX, I'd be one of those few strange people who go ZDX. I don't want or need anything quite so big or boxy as the MDX, practical as it is.
I'm just somewhat joking.. being sarcastic.

I'm sure the ZDX will be a nice car. Maybe I'll get one as a loaner at some point???????? I would like to try one out... it's an interesting car.

back to the point of the thread - if the choice was between the ZDX and X6 - itwould come down to money. if I had no reservations about dropping $80k for a car - I'd likely go with the BMW, but the Acura will likely win out as the more sensible and more vlue based choice. When I bought my MDX, I ddi look at the X5s and to be totally honest, there was no way I was spending that kind of money when the MDX was allI needed. Sure, a V8 X5 will outperform the MDX, but I felt the MDX outperformed the 3.0 X5...and I wasn't going to be buying a V8 / dragster SUV.....

Same thing with my RL. I looked at the 5 series..once again, same story. RL was FAR more value for hte money.

in my opinion, with many of the Acura models - if you compare what Acura sells to the German competition - the Acura is a better handling, better performing, FAR better value car WHEN you compare the Acura vehicle to the similarly priced German car. If you want to shell out FAR more money, you will be able to option the competition with a V8 or some kind of turbo engine and get somethign that is faster, with similar features, BUT you will pay dearly for it.

X6 - having not researched an X6 I'm not sure of all the engine options, etc. but if it's similar to the 5 series and/or X5 - then there will be a more base/standard engine, and also a choice of a perofrmance oriented m otor. like the 5 series - you could ge ta 550i and pay a ton, or you could get a 528.

if you compare an RL to a 528 - that's an easy one. take the RL. RL vs 550i....that's easy, take the 550i. problem is - that last decision means also forking over way more money to get that 550i.

when you compare an RL to a 528 - you are paying similar or less to get the RL and you wind up with a superior vehicle.

X6 / ZDX will likely be the same story. the people who have money coming out of the woodwork, and those who are slaves to the marquee/badge - will pay for the BMW no matter what. those who are looking for value - will opt for the ZDX when they realize that for less money, they are likely getting more car than a standard X6 willl provide, and they wouldnt have been interstedin spending the premium to get the "high end" version fo the X6...

i'll be very curious to see how the ZDX does in this economy.

I still with they had brought back the NSX instead, though... not that I'd buy one as it woudl be too $$$, but i'd sure love to sit in one at hte dealer and drool over it...
Old 02-04-2010, 09:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

I fully agree with 23109VC! If I had money to burn and didn't mind spending a bucket of it on an odd little vehicle that is hard to classify, I'd buy the X6 over the ZDX. However, I have a feeling that in a couple of years, the ZDX will be selling below invoice brand new, which means a new ZDX might cost the same as a used X6.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:16 AM
Intermediate

I dont know now, but a month or 2 ago, BMW offered x6 35D $4k rebate on top of $4k discount. I could have bought it with nav and ent for $57k and its got 430 lb torque if you need it
Old 02-05-2010, 10:23 AM
Three Wheelin'

That's a good deal! Hopefully, when I'm ready to buy years from now, there will be deals on both the X6 and the ZDX.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:15 PM
5th Gear

Interesting analogy, 23109 hahaha!
Old 02-15-2010, 08:55 PM
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Considering me and the people I associate with and transport aren't fat or huge Goliaths the whole "cramped" thing doesn't apply. It's a damn fine vehicle and sitting in one is a downright nice feeling. I sit in my boss' CLS550 all the time and my coworkers's M3 and X6, the ZDX is definitely not inferior to any of these vehicles. There really is always something to complain about for people isn't there? Or could it just be the BMW fanboys here *cough* Sarlacc *cough*...

Quick Reply: ZDX vs. X6