ZDX to RLX

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 04:57 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts
ZDX to RLX

I never thought this day would come, but after almost 2 years with my Z (and only 16,456 miles), I am highly considering trading for an RLX Advance. With used RLX prices being so favorable, I can get into one for cheaper than my monthly payment on the Z.

Pros:
RLX has a nicer interior with more updated tech. (starting to get bored with the limited tech features in the Z. Feels so 2009)
RLX offers the level of luxury I'm looking for (ZDX is more sporty)
Lower monthly payment (as stated earlier)
I can see myself still driving an RLX 10 years from now (can't say the same about the ZDX)
More rear seat room in the RLX (and heated rear seats)
Jewel Eye headlights

Cons:
Bland exterior styling in the RLX
No SH-AWD (I still have mixed feelings about P-AWS)
No panoramic roof
Several TSBs on the RLX (ranging from suspension issues, to software problems)
My ZDX is the last model year (and a minor refresh) which makes it rock solid....RLX is still relatively new and like I said before has lots of known issues

What it all comes down too is the fact that I've fallen in love with the RLX's interior and wish the ZDX would've been updated with the dual touch screens and tech features like all the other Acura's. Hell I even considered downgrading to an Accord Touring at one point. Sad that our $50,000 Z is lacking in features. Thoughts...

Last edited by MisterZDX; 02-23-2015 at 05:09 PM.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:54 PM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Having been someone that went from and RL to a ZDX(via an Infiniti M35X) I can say the ZDX is better in every way except acceleration off the line.
The following users liked this post:
MisterZDX (02-23-2015)
Old 02-23-2015, 07:18 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
plus, then you'd have to change your screen name.

love what you got...you'll miss it.
MisterZDX (02-23-2015)
Old 02-23-2015, 09:13 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by rockstar143
plus, then you'd have to change your screen name.

love what you got...you'll miss it.
Thanks. Great advice.
rockstar143 (02-24-2015)
Old 02-24-2015, 09:20 AM

You're welcome. Now if I could JUST follow my own advice.
We tend to focus on what we don't have and forget what we DO have. Until we get rid of it, then it becomes really apparent to us all the things we loved about what we don't have anymore.

The ZDX isn't for everyone...it's a niche market. One that can't be satisfied by just ANY other car. So if you're one that LOVES the look and drive of that car, you'll likely end up regretting that move since there likely won't ever be a replacement that fits that mold.
MisterZDX (02-24-2015)
Old 02-24-2015, 11:23 AM
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
are you comparing a rlx hybrid? If so, how are you able to get your payments lower than a zdx?

Originally Posted by MisterZDX
I never thought this day would come, but after almost 2 years with my Z (and only 16,456 miles), I am highly considering trading for an RLX Advance. With used RLX prices being so favorable, I can get into one for cheaper than my monthly payment on the Z.

Pros:
RLX has a nicer interior with more updated tech. (starting to get bored with the limited tech features in the Z. Feels so 2009)
I can see myself still driving an RLX 10 years from now (can't say the same about the ZDX)
Jewel Eye headlights

Cons:
No panoramic roof
My ZDX is the last model year (and a minor refresh) which makes it rock solid....RLX is still relatively new and like I said before has lots of known issues

What it all comes down too is the fact that I've fallen in love with the RLX's interior and wish the ZDX would've been updated with the dual touch screens and tech features like all the other Acura's. Hell I even considered downgrading to an Accord Touring at one point. Sad that our $50,000 Z is lacking in features. Thoughts...
Old 02-24-2015, 12:28 PM
Instructor

i am contemplating a zdx or 2014 rlx....so, your pros/cons list is a big help.

Pros:
Jewel Eye headlights

Cons:
No panoramic roof

MisterZDX (02-24-2015)
Old 02-24-2015, 12:35 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
If you like the ZDX, you could always move up to a BMW X6. Not sure what your budget is though
MisterZDX (02-24-2015)
Old 02-24-2015, 12:39 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 3.2cls6speedmt
are you comparing a rlx hybrid? If so, how are you able to get your payments lower than a zdx?
I'm comparing a used 2014 P-AWS Advance. I purchased the Z new and many dealers weren't willing to budge much on price. With the huge depreciation hit on the RLX, that's why I can lower my payment.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:43 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by TacoBello
If you like the ZDX, you could always move up to a BMW X6. Not sure what your budget is though
Funny you should mention the X6 because when I was contemplating a new ZDX, a close friend of mine suggested if I was paying that much for an Acura, then I should consider the BMW. The X6 is a nice vehicle, but I am not a fan of German cars and I love Acura's long term reliability.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:48 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Fair enough. A new x6 would be all good for the first 5 years of ownership. Would need some maintenance items after that, but what car wouldn't? BMWs are great cars in terms of performance. I think the x6 looks badass, although many wouldn't agree, lol.

But if you're keen on sating with Acura, hot damn, I dunno what you should do. I personally like the quirkiness of the ZDX. Plus, the majority of people have no clue as to what it is- it's not like you see 50 of them everyday.

See if you can get an RLX for an extended test drive, for like a couple days. Should help make up your mind.

Also, hold your breath on the "Acura Reliability". The RLX is still a fairly new vehicle- time will tell how good or bad it really is.
MisterZDX (02-24-2015)
Old 02-24-2015, 12:48 PM
Racer

i am contemplating a zdx or 2014 rlx....so, your pros/cons list is a big help.
Glad I could help. Two different type of vehicles I know and most people don't cross shop a ZDX and RLX. I have decided to keep the Z at least until summer 2016. Maybe by then we will have details on a 2017 RLX mid model refresh. If not, I'm sure I'll get an even better deal on a used 2014 or 2015, maybe even a used Sport Hybrid.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:52 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by TacoBello
But if you're keen on sating with Acura, hot damn, I dunno what you should do. I personally like the quirkiness of the ZDX. Plus, the majority of people have no clue as to what it is- it's not like you see 50 of them everyday.
Yes I am keen on staying with Acura. If I were to ever leave the brand, the only other luxury sedan I would consider trading my ZDX for is a Lexus GS 350 F-Sport.
Old 02-24-2015, 01:01 PM
Instructor

Yes I am keen on staying with Acura. If I were to ever leave the brand, the only other luxury sedan I would consider trading my ZDX for is a Lexus GS 350 F-Sport.

i am also trying to stay with acura product line. I am not willing to pay over 50k for a car though. The zdx and rlx prices have dropped quite a bit.

My 3.2 cls has been very reliable and still fun to drive. It has some pep left to it. I would like the panaromic sun roof in the zdx.
MisterZDX (02-24-2015)
Old 02-24-2015, 01:03 PM
Instructor

Have you taken the gs350 for a test drive?
Old 02-24-2015, 01:15 PM
Racer

Have you taken the gs350 for a test drive?
Not yet
Old 02-24-2015, 04:38 PM
Drifting

Received 416 Likes on 365 Posts
Funny you should mention the X6 because when I was contemplating a new ZDX, a close friend of mine suggested if I was paying that much for an Acura, then I should consider the BMW. The X6 is a nice vehicle, but I am not a fan of German cars and I love Acura's long term reliability.

Oh lord, people still make such dumb blanket statements? Be a good friend and teach him.
MisterZDX (02-24-2015)
Old 02-24-2015, 06:25 PM

Why is it dumb?

It's merely stating that Acura is charging so much, that there are other brands to consider.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:00 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by HeartTLs
Oh lord, people still make such dumb blanket statements? Be a good friend and teach him.
Totally agree. I have no desire to ever own a BMW, Audi, or Mercedes Benz just for brand image or status. I love my Acuras.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:04 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by rockstar143
Why is it dumb?

It's merely stating that Acura is charging so much, that there are other brands to consider.
While I do agree that the ZDX was a bit overpriced and there are other brands to consider, for me personally those other brands wouldn't be German. If I ever decided to leave the Acura brand it would be for Lexus, not BMW. I love Japanese luxury brands.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:29 PM
Instructor

While I do agree that the ZDX was a bit overpriced and there are other brands to consider, for me personally those other brands wouldn't be German. If I ever decided to leave the Acura brand it would be for Lexus, not BMW. I love Japanese luxury brands.
my acura dealerships, i have been three in the state of ga have bent over backwards to please me. I have been always given a loaner car. I think Lexus will be the same.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:33 AM

Exactly, I don't think it was being stated that you should choose one over the other. Just that you'd have to consider them at that pricepoint. Maintenance scares me...Acura has awesome interiors and cool looks (to me). I'd pick it too...

Oh wait...I DID!
MisterZDX (02-25-2015)
Old 02-26-2015, 09:56 PM
Racer

Another pro for the RLX I didn't think about before...better gas mileage.

20 city / 31 highway on the RLX

vs

16 city / 23 highway on the ZDX

Another pro for the ZDX, address destinations can still be entered while the car is in motion. To my understanding, the RLX does not allow this (correct me if I'm wrong). Oh, and how can I forget the RLX Advance has Krell Audio (definitely a pro). Damn I hate tough decisions...
Old 02-27-2015, 11:49 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do you think how much it gonna be when you trade your Z in ? You can check on Autotrader.com or Cars.com that some 2013 Zs with lower miles than your just around 39k ( asking price ).
With that being said how can you get lower payment when you have a RLX. You will lost a lot of money when you trade the Z in. I know your feeling right now that you are getting bored with the Z, why don't you keep the Z and put some performance stuffs on like HFPC and J pipe from RV6 you can feel a new car again.
I've just had the Z for over a month and i will put 5500k Morimoto bulb and Denso iridium Power series spark plugs IXUH22I and HFPC + J Pipe ( getting it this Sunday ) . I will keep it updated when everything on the Z in this spring. IMO keeps the Z man, you know i buy the Z because it is rare.
MisterZDX (02-28-2015)
Old 02-27-2015, 12:36 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by shyguyzdx
Do you think how much it gonna be when you trade your Z in ? You can check on Autotrader.com or Cars.com that some 2013 Zs with lower miles than your just around 39k ( asking price ).
With that being said how can you get lower payment when you have a RLX. You will lost a lot of money when you trade the Z in. I know your feeling right now that you are getting bored awith the Z, why don't you keep the Z and put some performance stuffs on like HFPC and J pipe from RV6 you can feel a new car again.
I've just had the Z for over a month and i will put 5500k Morimoto bulb and Denso iridium Power series spark plugs IXUH22I and HFPC + J Pipe ( getting it this Sunday ) . I will keep it updated when everything on the Z in this spring. IMO keeps the Z man, you know i buy the Z because it is rare.
I appreciate the advice I still love the uniqueness of the Z and kick ass exterior. It's the interior and lack of tech features that I'm starting to get bored with. I'll hold off my decision at least until another year, but I can really see myself in an RLX. It has the level of luxury I seek.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:02 PM
Banned

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts
Hey MisterZDX,

I'm in a similar situation, but I'm looking to sell my RL for an RLX SH-AWD. My local Acura dealer just got one in, and I'm taking it for a test drive as soon as I get a chance. The list price is 69k, as that is the Canadian price. Since I pay my cars cash, that's biting off a little more than I can chew. So I'll have to hold of on the RLX SH-AWD, for now at least. However, I do think that if you can live with the harsh ride and bland styling of the RLX, do it! I think it would make for a nice upgrade over the ZDX. Or you can wait for the 2016 RLX, which shouldn't be too far away That's my current plan, I feel as if Acura can us some needed improvements to the RLX; I's would be more willing to spend 70k. But only time will, sticking with your ZDX or not, the ZDX is still a rock soild car. Enjoy
MisterZDX (02-27-2015)
Old 02-27-2015, 11:13 PM
Banned

Nor American brands; American cars are too unreliable and they lack personality. The German cars are too expensive, and high in maintenance costs. On the other hand, the Japanese make the best vehicles in the world: reliability, luxury, value, design, and most importantly quality. This is a combination no American or German brand can come close to.

I've had many friends who've said "Terry, why not just buy a BMW or Benz?" My answer, pulling up consumer reports reliability rating, and showing my friends the specs sheets of the RL. Then my friends reply "Who knew the Japanese could make such great cars?" People just don't know how good Acuras really are.
MisterZDX (02-27-2015)
Old 02-27-2015, 11:53 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Terry RL
Nor American brands; American cars are too unreliable and they lack personality. The German cars are too expensive, and high in maintenance costs. On the other hand, the Japanese make the best vehicles in the world: reliability, luxury, value, design, and most importantly quality. This is a combination no American or German brand can come close to.
I vowed to never purchase an American car and I broke that vow 3 years ago when I fell in love with the Cadillac CTS Coupe. Sexy exterior that got a shit load of attention and sparked several conversations at gas stations. Probably the best looking car I've ever owned, but also spent more time at the dealer than any car I've owned.

I really started to miss my '09 TL Sh-AWD and couldn't wait to get into another Acura...hence why I purchased the ZDX (I had always secretly wanted one anyway but felt like the old beak looked out of place). As soon as Acura announced the 2013 refresh with the new beak I was sold.

Like I stated earlier, it really isn't the exterior styling of the Z that has me contemplating a trade to the RLX (I still get all excited and in awe every time I walk up to it.) It's the damn outdated infotainment system that feels so 2009 (and even back then Acura's tech was starting to fall behind the competition.) I really wish Acura would've kept the ZDX for a second generation, priced it more competitively, and upgraded it with the jewel eyes, dual touch screens, and other features of the TLX and RLX.

At the time of purchase, the ZDX was more of a quick reason to let go of the CTS Coupe and get back into an Acura. The RLX is a vehicle I can see myself keeping for a long time and driving well into my 40s. The interior is just so damn well put together and I'm willing to sacrifice a bland exterior just to have it.

By the way, welcome back Terry. I haven't seen a post from you on here in awhile.

Last edited by MisterZDX; 02-28-2015 at 12:05 AM.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:17 AM
Instructor

terry,

probably thread to ask you this question.... i am contemplating a 2011-2012 rl, or possible 2014 rlx, or lexus gs 350...

how is your rl? Any troubles?

Originally Posted by Terry RL

I've had many friends who've said "Terry, why not just buy a BMW or Benz?" My answer, pulling up consumer reports reliability rating, and showing my friends the specs sheets of the RL. Then my friends reply "Who knew the Japanese could make such great cars?" People just don't know how good Acuras really are.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:56 PM
Banned

terry,

probably thread to ask you this question.... i am contemplating a 2011-2012 rl, or possible 2014 rlx, or lexus gs 350...

how is your rl? Any troubles?
Hey, sorry I didn't reply any sooner. I bought my 2011 RL for $35,000, in mid-2013 as an Acura CPO warranty and it only had 13k on the clock. Essentially, the car was 1-owner and brand new. The car currently has around 35k on it, and it has been through two winters. The car is great, I had two issues in total, but very minor. The first one was the backup sensors, one day they started giving false alerts, and the problem persisted. I took it to the dealer, and they changed the sensors; free of charge. The other issue I had was simply foul play. I parked my RL in a 'lesser' neighborhood than I'm used to. A couple of teenagers came out and ripped the top antenna off of my car. Yikes, but the dealer only charged me like $300 to get it fixed. But we can't really consider these issues; my RL is rock-solid. If you buy a 2011-2012 RL, you'll be very satisfied with everything other than the dated NAVI system.

Here are a few things I like about my 2011:
-6 speed is amazing
-car is dead quiet at speed, and suspension tuning is just about perfect
-superb interior, with great materials, real leather, real wood, feux-suede headliner, the car is gorgeous
-great used car value in general
-great drivers car
-very, very smooth and refined
-I love the look on the outside

A few features worth noting(my car has advance package): power folding mirrors, heated and cooled seats, window blinds, real wood, adaptive cruise control, automatic braking, electric steering wheel adjustment. Not to mention the great sounding stereo, with full phone connectivity.
3.2cls6speedmt (03-10-2015)