ZDX 2010-13 High Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 07:28 PM
Cruisin'

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
I received that letter last week. My 2010 only has 21,000 miles on it.....I've never even thought of checking the oil as I rarely drive it. I've had several oil changes even when the car wasn't due for it any they never said anything about it being low.
Old 02-26-2019, 05:29 PM
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
[QUOTE=ZDXROCKSTAR...I've never even thought of checking the oil as I rarely drive it. I've had several oil changes even when the car wasn't due for it any they never said anything about it being low.[/QUOTE]

Not exactly rocket science to pull the dipstick and glance at it. Though I empathize, as longtime Honda owners DO get out of the habit. Likely nothing to worry about if you are still changing oil on a time-only schedule, but since running the motor with a low crankcase level could wear it out faster, I wouldn’t just trust someone else to warn me, especially now that the service issue with this engine has come to light.
Old 03-02-2019, 05:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by LC-TL2002

Came in the mail yesterday...Due to oil consumption Acura extended the power train warranty for 8yrs or 125,000 miles!
I did not get this letter, however, my vehicle burns crazy amounts of oil. How do I get my dealership to honor this?
Old 03-07-2019, 10:04 AM
Graphite Ghost

Received 405 Likes on 324 Posts
Originally Posted by con5tant
I did not get this letter, however, my vehicle burns crazy amounts of oil. How do I get my dealership to honor this?
It should be based on VIN.
Call the local dealer
Or call Acura Customer relations

Old 03-25-2019, 03:38 PM
Burning Brakes

I contacted American Honda who said that my vehicle should fall under this warranty extension. What is the process in getting the dealership to do this? Do I just make an appointment and bring it in, or do I need to contact them beforehand? I'm just wondering if they will need to monitor the vehicle for a bit and/or need parts.
Old 03-29-2019, 04:25 PM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Just curious, is burning oil an inherent trait of Acura (Honda) engines?

Just past 5.5K miles since last oil change and I'm a 1.5 quarts low, is that excessive?
Old 03-30-2019, 01:57 PM
Graphite Ghost

Received 405 Likes on 324 Posts
Originally Posted by con5tant
I contacted American Honda who said that my vehicle should fall under this warranty extension. What is the process in getting the dealership to do this? Do I just make an appointment and bring it in, or do I need to contact them beforehand? I'm just wondering if they will need to monitor the vehicle for a bit and/or need parts.
contact your dealer according to the letter.
they will CHARGE you for an oil change and commence the test. seems to be very dealer specific
according to the letter the fail limit is 1 qt per 1000 miles.
Old 03-30-2019, 09:25 PM
Burning Brakes

I went to my dealer, instead of changing my oil they just topped off my current oil. Started an oil consumption test, need to bring back to the dealer in 1000 miles or when oil dips below 'low'. So, according to the letter, they should clean my oil control rings after 1000 miles? Or will it take multiple tests? Could you post the entire letter?

The service advisor said that they had a 'good number' of vehicles come in for oil consumption (when I asked).

Last edited by con5tant; 03-30-2019 at 09:29 PM.
Old 04-25-2019, 01:19 PM
NDM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 2012 ZDX. When I bought it it had 32000 miles (now it has 53000).

I did the first oil change at 38000. At 40000 miles I took a 1500 miles trip, it consumed a little more than ½ quart.
I did the second oil change at 44000, I did couple 400 miles trips right after the oil change and everything was OK. When it had 47000 miles, I took another 400-450 miles trip and the ZDX consumed again little more than ½ quart of oil. So I went to the dealer and we decided to start an oil consumption test. Everything was OK until it reached the 3000 miles, this time it consumed closed to a quart of oil but because it was still within the normal oil consumption the dealer said that they could not do anything. I told them, it seems that everything happens after 3000 miles and you keep a constant speed for long period of time. So now they told me to change the oil before I take another trip so they can check. I am pretty sure it will be OK for the first couple of thousand miles.

So if it happens, I guess I am going to start doing oil change every 3000-4000 miles.

Any thoughts?
Old 04-26-2019, 09:30 AM
NDM
Intermediate

Has anybody seen this post by Altair47 https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-p...-784028/page7/.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:35 PM
J37A5

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
My 2013 ZDX does not inordinately consume oil. I am old school and change the oil in all of my cars at the 3K to 3.5K mile mark. Maybe the J37A5 is telling us something about old school.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:57 PM
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by HondaOwnerForLife
My 2013 ZDX does not inordinately consume oil. I am old school and change the oil in all of my cars at the 3K to 3.5K mile mark. Maybe the J37A5 is telling us something about old school.
3K mi. (non-synthetic) oil/filter changes are likely still advisable for stop & go urban drivers, since condensed blow-by toxins are aggressive. For rural/highway service, anything less than 7500 is probably wasteful. The anti-scuff components likely get flushed before they have a chance to adhere properly (?).
Old 05-11-2019, 10:07 AM
Instructor

Just visited the dealership to start my oil consumption process/test. They gave me a 2019 TLX A-Spec for a loaner (interesting ride, but not for me) as a couple of parts (LF strut & LR shock) needed replacement too.

Returning in 1000 miles for consumption check, stay tuned...

Last edited by zdxsr; 05-11-2019 at 10:08 AM. Reason: edit
Old 05-29-2019, 03:25 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by zdxsr
Just visited the dealership to start my oil consumption process/test. They gave me a 2019 TLX A-Spec for a loaner (interesting ride, but not for me) as a couple of parts (LF strut & LR shock) needed replacement too.

I was wondering how your oil consumption test turned out on your ZDX? I believe the oil consumption on my ZDX may also be more than normal so I plan on taking it into an Acura dealership soon. Are they replacing those for you free of charge under an extended warranty? I know there was an extended warranty for the ADS struts on the ZDX and MDX that expired back in May 2017 and I've noticed that my front struts have always made some noise but has recently gotten worse and was hoping they might be assisting owners that are having this same issue. I purchased my ZDX in April 2017 and the seller never told me there was an extended warranty for the ADS struts. I'd really appreciate your input as I think I might be in the same boat as you with these issues. Thanks in advance for your time and hoping to hear form you soon.
Old 06-01-2019, 07:53 AM
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 with 93k miles. Overall car has been great, but over the past couple years my low engine oil warning would come on before I was due for an oil change. The nearest Acura dealer is 500 miles away, so I get everything serviced at my local Honda dealer. In case anyone is in the same boat, Acura agreed the Honda dealership could perform the oil consumption test to see if my car qualifies, but I would have to go to an Acura dealer to get the actual work done since it’s somewhat complicated and according to Acura requires special tools Honda dealers don’t have. I started my test yesterday so we’ll see how it goes.
Old 06-01-2019, 10:20 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jasonklor
I was wondering how your oil consumption test turned out on your ZDX? I believe the oil consumption on my ZDX may also be more than normal so I plan on taking it into an Acura dealership soon. Are they replacing those for you free of charge under an extended warranty? I know there was an extended warranty for the ADS struts on the ZDX and MDX that expired back in May 2017 and I've noticed that my front struts have always made some noise but has recently gotten worse and was hoping they might be assisting owners that are having this same issue. I purchased my ZDX in April 2017 and the seller never told me there was an extended warranty for the ADS struts. I'd really appreciate your input as I think I might be in the same boat as you with these issues. Thanks in advance for your time and hoping to hear form you soon.
Hello, Jason.

I just started the consumption test, only 600 miles into it. I'll be returning to the dealership once I hit 1000 miles, then I can update everyone. As far as the LF strut, it is covered under the extended warranty I purchased when I bought my CPO 2011 ZDX, which was well worth the investment.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:45 AM
2nd Gear

Hello, Jason.

I just started the consumption test, only 600 miles into it. I'll be returning to the dealership once I hit 1000 miles, then I can update everyone. As far as the LF strut, it is covered under the extended warranty I purchased when I bought my CPO 2011 ZDX, which was well worth the investment.
Thanks for the reply.. please do keep us updated. My shocks are also going out I believe so I will be taking it to an Acura dealership to confirm. Hopefully it's not too costly.
Old 06-29-2019, 01:46 PM
Instructor

Update

I returned to the dealership for the 1000 mile checkup today. I traveled 1224 miles and I'm down 1.2QTS of oil. They are submitting the paperwork to Honda and I'll be scheduled for the repair in approximately a month. The Acura service guy told me they're backlogged, doing about eight a week.
Old 07-31-2019, 06:56 PM
Instructor

Thumbs up

I returned to the dealership for the 1000 mile checkup today. I traveled 1224 miles and I'm down 1.2QTS of oil. They are submitting the paperwork to Honda and I'll be scheduled for the repair in approximately a month. The Acura service guy told me they're backlogged, doing about eight a week.
Just got my baby back, pistons and rings replaced, woo-hoo!. Hopefully that takes care of that.
The following users liked this post:
robpp (08-01-2019)
Old 07-31-2019, 08:20 PM
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Has anyone had this issue intermittently?

When I get regular oil changes I would estimate 50% of the time the level is fine, and 50% of the time the service techs are somewhat alarmed by how much oils is used.

However, now that I’ve started the oil consumption test it hasn’t used any, and I’m due for an oil change fairly soon so it doesn’t look like my car has been consuming any. Mine is also a 2010 so I’m only covered until September 1st, so I’m not sure if my consumption is fairly normal or is a different issue entirely.
Old 08-03-2019, 10:29 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by atc6788
Has anyone had this issue intermittently?

When I get regular oil changes I would estimate 50% of the time the level is fine, and 50% of the time the service techs are somewhat alarmed by how much oils is used.

However, now that I’ve started the oil consumption test it hasn’t used any, and I’m due for an oil change fairly soon so it doesn’t look like my car has been consuming any. Mine is also a 2010 so I’m only covered until September 1st, so I’m not sure if my consumption is fairly normal or is a different issue entirely.
The only thing that comes to mind are your driving habits (lead foot) and or stop and go driving versus highway driving.