AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   ZDX (https://acurazine.com/forums/zdx-326/)
-   -   Timing belt (https://acurazine.com/forums/zdx-326/timing-belt-972833/)

micellison71 08-29-2018 05:23 PM

Timing belt

I had plans on getting my timing belt and plugs replace,but because of a family emergency the money that was for those thing have to be used. I was wondering how long can hold it off it off. I plan on getting it them change as soon as I can,but I don’t want to have this keeping me up at night wondering at night.

losiglow 08-29-2018 05:37 PM

Ah, the ol' timing belt gamble. Well, I went to about 135K on my 4G TL and 150K on my 3G TL before I had it done and the used belt looked brand new on both after changing. Both have similar j-series V6 engines to the ZDX. Not to say the belt wasn't weakened internally but they sure as heck didn't look like they were going to snap tomorrow.

If it were me, I wouldn't be the least bit concerned until I was pushing maybe 150K miles. The belts are overengineered, with 105K/110K (depending on the car) simply the recommended interval likely based on the worst case tests that Honda/Acura ran for these motors.

Having said all of that, if someone asked me if they should get their timing belt replaced at the 105K interval, I'd tell them yes. The same as I'd tell someone to lock their doors if they're going to run into the post office for 5 minutes or keep a blanket in the trunk of their car when they drive in the snow. The likelihood of your car getting broke into or stolen in that 5 minutes or getting stuck in a snow bank in a remote area without cell reception is unlikely but it can still happen. Just like the likelihood of a timing best snapping at 105,001 miles on these engines. Likely? No. Possible? Yes. Definitely don't lose sleep over it.

micellison71 08-29-2018 06:52 PM

Easier said then done as far as losing sleep over it. The driven belt is new more likely replace before it was traded in, so at less that’s one part I won’t lose sleep over.

frankjnjr 08-30-2018 05:55 AM

FWIW: Friend recently bought a 2003 CL with 64k miles, from original owner. Original owner advised timing belt never changed due to low mileage. Friend immediately performed the timing belt service. Original timing belt in remarkable condition, for being 16 years old. The tensioner, cam seals and water pump were another story. The tensioner was loose and appeared to be on the verge of failure, the water pump was seeping, and both cam seals were leaking! Can you risk going beyond the recommended change interval, SURE. Is it prudent, probably NOT! As losiglow states, He went to 150K on his 3G TL without issue, so I wouldn't loose any sleep over "it", but I would keep an ear out for any unusual noise, or coolant loss coming from the belt area!

micellison71 08-30-2018 06:50 AM

I did hear a high pitch squeezing noise this morning. The dealership has been wanting my vehicle since day one. I don’t want to be upside down by getting a new vehicle,but at the same time a peace of mind is priceless.

kevin barbee 09-01-2018 07:59 AM

Timing belt

Yea years back our Legend Coupe at 114,000 miles timing belt looked great once removed and in 2017 my 2004 TL was 4 years pass the 7 year or 100,000 mile recommendation with 80,000 miles on it belt look brand new!! After I total TL a year ago or so is how I ended up with our ZDX and it is now 8 years old with 61,000 miles so it’s due in years but I’m waiting til 100,000 miles. Our G35 coupe has a chain so no worries on that one.

micellison71 09-01-2018 01:58 PM

Well I hope it can hold up for at least a few more months. The service tech told me with it been rubber it could last only 100k with no problems,but at the same time it could break as soon as I drive it home.