AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   ZDX (https://acurazine.com/forums/zdx-326/)
-   -   Thinking of used ZDX - is IDS worth it? (https://acurazine.com/forums/zdx-326/thinking-used-zdx-ids-worth-980062/)

Layton1 06-06-2019 08:29 PM

Thinking of used ZDX - is IDS worth it?

Hi all!

I'm thinking of getting a used ZDX. I haven't been able to find a ZDX with an advanced package with IDS near me to test drive so I don't know if it's worth it. To folks who have driven both tech and advance models with IDS, is the IDS system worth it? How do the comfort and sport modes compare to the regular ZDX strut?

Can this feeling be observed in new or old MDX models with IDS?

Thanks!

kevin barbee 06-06-2019 11:30 PM

The advance options are worth considering but the IDS to me no. Normal shocks would feel better. I owned Tech model then sold it and purchased Advance 56,000 miles and week later I knew I had shock issues and Acura wanted $4,000.
They last about 50,000 miles.
Frankly I can’t tell the difference from sport to comfort but with IDS it just didn’t impress me. The other Advance options are nice. Like collision mitigation braking , it lights up BRAKE then tugs your seat belt while some alarm goes off. Love that safety feature and blind spot warning great , adds small blue light under each interior handles and suede type roof lining and I think Stereo better and sport steering wheel
But don’t consider just for the IDS because to me I would rather it not have it.

Layton1 06-07-2019 10:05 AM

Thanks!

Anyone else have input on the active damper system? Also, is the steering wheel thicker on the Advance model? I used to have a 2012 TL SHAWD w/ advance and I loved the steering wheel thickness on that vehicle.

dynodan 06-07-2019 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by kevin barbee (Post 16436374)
The advance options are worth considering but the IDS to me no. Normal shocks would feel better. I owned Tech model then sold it and purchased Advance 56,000 miles and week later I knew I had shock issues and Acura wanted $4,000.
They last about 50,000 miles.
Frankly I can’t tell the difference from sport to comfort but with IDS it just didn’t impress me. The other Advance options are nice. Like collision mitigation braking , it lights up BRAKE then tugs your seat belt while some alarm goes off. Love that safety feature and blind spot warning great , adds small blue light under each interior handles and suede type roof lining and I think Stereo better and sport steering wheel
But don’t consider just for the IDS because to me I would rather it not have it.

Kevin, Still waiting to to find out if the ADV. variable steering allows easier turning than the TECH fixed version? Since you owned both....?

kevin barbee 06-07-2019 05:51 PM

Yes advance steering seems better than tech and Steering wheel is thicker on advance model. For sure it’s thicker !

dynodan 06-09-2019 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by kevin barbee (Post 16436751)
Yes advance steering seems better than tech

Too bad there is not likely any conversion parts that might make my TECH easier to steer (?). While it’s hydraulic power assist is certainly substantially better than the terrible (virtually un-drivable) 2011 Hyundai Tucson with electric assist that I once owned, it still bothers me that any vehicle equipped with power steering should require more turning effort on the highway than my 60+ year old antique car with manual steering! I realize a heavier vehicle with huge tires would naturally need more force to operate the steering mechanisms, and SUV rollover accident history might make manufacturers think that quick steering maneuvers should be inhibited (for litigation reasons), but after all, that is what power assist is for. Any luxury class car should offer effortless steering operation if the driver prefers it that way (?).

Type34 06-10-2019 02:34 PM

And don't forget the cooled seats! It appears the pre-owned ZDXs are roughly the same price Advance/Tech/etc., so I personally would wait for an Advance. If you don't want to wait, I don't think a Tech would be a bad choice. As far as IDS, I don't think it's a must-have...I think the other Advance features are more useful/desirable.

AGENTCOZ 10-20-2019 06:21 PM

I sought an Advance for the IDS specifically and I can absolutely tell a definitive difference in Sport VS Comfort. It’s like Cadillac ride vs sporty feel. Tighter steering and suspension, but you will feel speedbumps etc much more on sport mode, while Comfort really absorbs them. The caveat, like another almost all adaptive suspensions, is that they are expensive when they need to be replaced, so some would rather not worry about that if they are keeping the car. If you wanna play you gotta pay. Mine were shot at probably around 70k miles. HOWEVER, Acura stood behind them and paid 80% of the total bill for full replacement of all 4, costing me very little and I have new IDS now. A nice gesture and I was impressed. Yes, they should not need replacement, but Acura turned that frown upside down.

kevin barbee 10-21-2019 06:31 AM

Good point ! I failed to mention Acura paid for my bad IDS Struts also and I was very happy