Stop sale/recall for ZDXs

Old 04-13-2010, 04:47 PM
Acura Cert MASTER TECH

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Exclamation Stop sale/recall for ZDXs

Sorry I'm late in getting this to you guys, I actually read this on Sunday when I logged on to the network to check some stuff in the TL forums (where I normally am).

Anywho, cliff notes are that some ZDXs (Acura expects only 24 to have this problem), may have not had certain laser cuts made in the passenger airbag area. This could lead to improper airbag deployment. If a vehicle did not have these cuts made, the vehicle will need its dash replaced.

Below is the email from Acura to employees:

DATE: April 09, 2010
TO: All Acura Sales, Service & Parts Managers
RE: 2010 ZDX Instrument Panel Tear Line Not Cut

Today, April 09, 2010, American Honda is announcing a Stop Sale order and Recall on some 2010 ZDX units in dealer inventory and some sold units. All in-stock units will need to be inspected and, in some cases, repaired prior to sale. Refer to VIN Status Inquiry to determine which units in your inventory are affected. American Honda Motor Co. will begin notifying clients to return their vehicle to a dealer for inspection starting April 21, 2010.

Note: You should not sell any affected vehicles until they have been inspected and, if necessary, repaired. Should an unrepaired vehicle cause an injury or damage because of the recalled item, the dealership will be solely responsible to the damaged party, and will be required to defend and indemnify American Honda for any resulting claims.

Basic Problem

Some instrument panels did not receive the laser cut on the underside of the passenger side airbag area of the instrument panel. Without the laser cut, the deployment timing and force are affected.

Campaign Information

The inspection procedure (click here) will identify which vehicles in your inventory require instrument panel repair.

A Service Bulletin will be posted April 16th. The client mailing will be April 21st.

Parts Information

About 24 instrument panels are expected to require replacement. Do not order a replacement instrument panel until the inspection has been performed and the instrument panel is identified as defective. Parts Division has an adequate supply of instrument panels, in both colors, based on the projected number of defective parts.

Warranty information specific to the instrument panel replacement will be included in the Service Bulletin.

As it is stated, there is no official bulletin/recall written yet. But below, I have pasted the procedure for anyone who wants to know what will be done to your car.

ZDX INSPECTION PROCEDURE
NOTE: Most potentially affected vehicles require only
an inspection.

1. Open the glove box.
2. Using the appropriate tool from the KTC trim tool
set, pry up the right edge of the passenger’s
dashboard trim to detach the trim clips, then
remove the trim, right to left.
3. Locate the tab of dashboard material on the left
side where you removed the passenger’s
dashboard trim. Flip the tab over, and look for a
letter X stamped into it. The “X” may not be
perfectly centered on the tab.
Is the letter X stamped into the back of the tab?
Yes - This vehicle is OK; go to step 4.
No - This vehicle cannot be sold or leased until
it is repaired according to the upcoming safety
recall service bulletin.
4. Reinstall the passenger’s dashboard trim, going left
to right, and replace any damaged clips.
5. Center-punch a completion mark above the first
character of the engine compartment VIN.
POTENTIAL VEHICLES AFFECTED
2010 ZDX:
From VIN 2HNYB1H..AH500100 thru
2HNYB1H..AH502461
To verify vehicle eligibility, check it using a VIN status
inquiry. No warranty claims will be paid for vehicles not
included in the VIN status inquiry.
TOOL INFORMATION
KTC Trim Tool Set: T/N SOJATP2014
WARRANTY CLAIM INFORMATION
Operation Number: 8415A1
Flat Rate Time: 0.2 hour
Failed Part: P/N 77102-SZN-A02ZB
Defect Code: 5ZD00
Symptom Code: R3400
Skill Level: Repair Technician
PASSENGER’S
DASHBOARD TRIM
‘X’ stamp
Center-punch here.
2HNYB1XXXXXXXXXXX

The center punch is supposed to be above the 1st digit (2). Also, since I just copied and pasted this, the pics don't come up. Sorry again about this, and that the format is off. I'm in a rush!

Last, we had six in stock at the dealership, I inspected all them, and they were all ok. We sold two, and I'm waiting for them to schedule so I can inspect them too.

Just wanted everyone to know!