Rust protection advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 11:33 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rust protection advice

Hi all,

My wife purchased a 2011 Zdx tech. We live in Canada, where there is a lot of snow and salt in winter. We do not currently have a garage.

Seeking your advice on how to protect this vehicle from the elements. Here are some options:

- electronic box: poor evidence that this actually helps.
-oil proofing:
- Krown: has good reputation. On downside, drills holes in car, and the product can potentially affect rubber
- Ziebart: never tried. Website indicates not harmful for rubber
-tar treatment under the car, by Ziebart

I'm leaning toward doing 1 Krown treatment, then ziebart the other years. Or no treatment, but frequently visit the car wash.

Let me know your thoughts, thanks
Old 11-25-2016, 04:52 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Where abouts do you live? Do they use a lot of salt in your area, during the winter?

Ive had some cars undercoated in the past, but to be honest, I'll likely never do it again. The only part that gets coated is the body itself, and in my experience, I've never really seen an Acura body rusting from the underside. Around the rear quarter panels? Sure. But the spray won't protect those areas anyway.

what I don't like about the spray:
1. It stinks. Bad. For the first few days or so, anyway.
2. Neither the suspension nor brake components get coated, and as such, they get really rusty anyway, and a pain to work with regardless.
3. The coating does eventually fall off and needs to be replaced. Extra money. Extra stink.
4. I've come across a few times now, two of the same car, one coated one not, and they're both in the same condition.

you are right about those electronic boxes, though. It seem they really don't do anything.

If if you want the peace of mind, then get the car undercoated, but honestly, I really don't think it's that important unless your area uses a TON of salt. My area does use salt, but nowhere near what eastern Canada does.
Old 11-26-2016, 10:39 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello
Where abouts do you live? Do they use a lot of salt in your area, during the winter?

Ive had some cars undercoated in the past, but to be honest, I'll likely never do it again. The only part that gets coated is the body itself, and in my experience, I've never really seen an Acura body rusting from the underside. Around the rear quarter panels? Sure. But the spray won't protect those areas anyway.

what I don't like about the spray:
1. It stinks. Bad. For the first few days or so, anyway.
2. Neither the suspension nor brake components get coated, and as such, they get really rusty anyway, and a pain to work with regardless.
3. The coating does eventually fall off and needs to be replaced. Extra money. Extra stink.
4. I've come across a few times now, two of the same car, one coated one not, and they're both in the same condition.

you are right about those electronic boxes, though. It seem they really don't do anything.

If if you want the peace of mind, then get the car undercoated, but honestly, I really don't think it's that important unless your area uses a TON of salt. My area does use salt, but nowhere near what eastern Canada does.
We live in the National capital region. I'll likely go n get the car oiled at Krown