Notices

Replaced ADS struts/shocks to non-tech

 
Old 03-12-2018, 12:07 PM
  #1  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Age: 43
Posts: 8
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Replaced ADS struts/shocks to non-tech

Hello ZDX-ers!

Recently was quoted $3300 from a local dealer to replace all front struts and rear shocks for our ZDX. Front strut was clunking on bumps and potholes. Rear shock was leaking and produced "ca-toong" on any bumps as well.

Came across a thread for MDX-ers who changed their ADS struts and rear shocks to non-tech. Made me think... If I am to keep our ZDX for awhile - what's the point of spending $3300 and after 50k they are out again? Non-tech struts and shocks last about 3 times longer compared to ADS ones based on my on-line research. Heard of recall from Acura for ADS struts and shocks for MDX models - called Acura - "sorry your VIN is not in the list" excuse promptly came to my ear on the phone.

Long story short - tried to order non-tech struts and shocks from a local dealer and they were insisting on getting VIN from me first. Just like a doctor's office - they treat their clients like children who have no idea what they are doing. Found an on-line catalog from a Florida dealer with decent non-tech prices. Front struts, rear shocks, installation bolts - total $880. Placed the order and within 5 days giant package arrived at my door.

Last weekend I finally got to get going with the project. Results? OUTSTANDING ride! The only "downfall" is that once it is in "sport" mode - the ADS light does come on. In "comfort" - no lights, nada. And that is ok - we never use "sport" mode due to stiff suspension. Our local roads have some serious "ups and downs" and bumps, so "comfort" has been the only choice for us here in northern Washington state.

Took about 4 hours total to replace front struts (full assemblies), rear shocks and attaching 5 Watt resistors in the front and 2 Watt resistors in the rear.

The car drives like NEW! Still all the features of Advanced package, but with "regular" struts and shocks. After this install - I am in disbelief how pathetic Acura has become with their coverage of ADS systems! Afterall - it was invented by GM and adopted by Acura... How sad.

HIGHLY recommend this conversion to those who seek to keep their ZDX and save $1000's on their bills...
rushin2 is offline  
Old 03-13-2018, 12:21 AM
  #2  
Registered Member
iTrader: (4)
 
con5tant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 860
Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts
Nice. Thanks for letting us know!
con5tant is offline  
Old 03-13-2018, 01:29 AM
  #3  
ZDX LOVER
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: kansas city mo
Age: 58
Posts: 174
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Shocks

I had same issue two months ago a week after I got mine with 56,000 miles. I got out of state and a Honda dealer checked it out for $100 and marked all good including shocks etc. I get it home and heard and felt bad shocks
Acura did mine under a outdated warrant on my 2010 advance and maybe because Honda said they were good so therefor I had no chance to negotiate
but I got new ones and my 2010 Tech rode perfect so not understanding why they even added short lived high price shocks. Mine are replaced but when I go over bump in driveway it still doesnít feel as good as the non Ids ZDX I had. Thanks for this helpful info !
kevin barbee is offline  
Old 03-16-2018, 09:00 AM
  #4  
Registered Member
 
zdxsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: PA
Posts: 130
Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts
Good info rushin2, thanks!

Personally, I like the sport mode for a crisper response. The comfort mode is a little too squirrely at higher speeds.
zdxsr is offline  
Old 05-24-2018, 09:40 AM
  #5  
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Age: 35
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can you share where you purchased the whole replacement suspension kit from? I have to do the swap for a friend and would be nice to get everything from one source, thanks!!!
hky17 is offline  
Old 05-24-2018, 11:04 AM
  #6  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Age: 43
Posts: 8
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my responses to the thread

Originally Posted by rushin2 View Post
Hello ZDX-ers!

Recently was quoted $3300 from a local dealer to replace all front struts and rear shocks for our ZDX. Front strut was clunking on bumps and potholes. Rear shock was leaking and produced "ca-toong" on any bumps as well.

Came across a thread for MDX-ers who changed their ADS struts and rear shocks to non-tech. Made me think... If I am to keep our ZDX for awhile - what's the point of spending $3300 and after 50k they are out again? Non-tech struts and shocks last about 3 times longer compared to ADS ones based on my on-line research. Heard of recall from Acura for ADS struts and shocks for MDX models - called Acura - "sorry your VIN is not in the list" excuse promptly came to my ear on the phone.

Long story short - tried to order non-tech struts and shocks from a local dealer and they were insisting on getting VIN from me first. Just like a doctor's office - they treat their clients like children who have no idea what they are doing. Found an on-line catalog from a Florida dealer with decent non-tech prices. Front struts, rear shocks, installation bolts - total $880. Placed the order and within 5 days giant package arrived at my door.

Last weekend I finally got to get going with the project. Results? OUTSTANDING ride! The only "downfall" is that once it is in "sport" mode - the ADS light does come on. In "comfort" - no lights, nada. And that is ok - we never use "sport" mode due to stiff suspension. Our local roads have some serious "ups and downs" and bumps, so "comfort" has been the only choice for us here in northern Washington state.

Took about 4 hours total to replace front struts (full assemblies), rear shocks and attaching 5 Watt resistors in the front and 2 Watt resistors in the rear.

The car drives like NEW! Still all the features of Advanced package, but with "regular" struts and shocks. After this install - I am in disbelief how pathetic Acura has become with their coverage of ADS systems! Afterall - it was invented by GM and adopted by Acura... How sad.

HIGHLY recommend this conversion to those who seek to keep their ZDX and save $1000's on their bills...
FYI for those new to this forum. I will try to keep my inbox empty on this site (it only allows me to store 2 (!) messages in my "message center." So, at least I can respond when needed to you with details on parts, etc.
rushin2 is offline  
Old 05-24-2018, 11:16 AM
  #7  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Age: 43
Posts: 8
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hky17 View Post
Can you share where you purchased the whole replacement suspension kit from? I have to do the swap for a friend and would be nice to get everything from one source, thanks!!!
Hi khy17! Let me know if my PM went through ok on your end. Sent parts list, etc your way. If not - will resend it over to you.
rushin2 is offline  
Old 05-24-2018, 11:55 AM
  #8  
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Age: 35
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Rushin2, i did receive it and replied. Thank you so much for the detailed response, that was awesome! I'll ask here as well...is it 100% necessary to replace the front camber bolts? Assuming the ones i'll be working on are in decent shape i was just going to leave them be...was going to do the same for the rear shock bolts too. Thoughts?
hky17 is offline  
Old 05-24-2018, 12:58 PM
  #9  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Age: 43
Posts: 8
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hky17 View Post
Hi Rushin2, i did receive it and replied. Thank you so much for the detailed response, that was awesome! I'll ask here as well...is it 100% necessary to replace the front camber bolts? Assuming the ones i'll be working on are in decent shape i was just going to leave them be...was going to do the same for the rear shock bolts too. Thoughts?
No need to replace the camber bolts - I did order/replace them just in case. As for the rear bolts - my lower bolts were rusted pretty bad, so I'm glad I did it.
rushin2 is offline  
Old 08-20-2018, 09:03 PM
  #10  
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Age: 52
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Rushin2,

Can you PM with your parts list and etc for this strut change? Thanks in ZDX Advance!! =O)
Scott Tahon is offline  
Old 05-01-2019, 06:32 PM
  #11  
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Parts list

Could you please provide the parts list to me, also?
Karena Jackson is offline  
Old 05-01-2019, 07:11 PM
  #12  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Age: 43
Posts: 8
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Parts list for ZDX

Originally Posted by Karena Jackson View Post
Could you please provide the parts list to me, also?
all set. sent a moment ago... Ours today still runs like a champ! Glad I did this conversion.
rushin2 is offline  
Old 05-02-2019, 06:29 AM
  #13  
ZDX LOVER
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: kansas city mo
Age: 58
Posts: 174
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Struts

Iím amazed how you guys do this stuff yourself
kevin barbee is offline  
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
DEE19
1G & 2G MDX Discussion (2001-2013)
4
03-25-2016 03:09 PM
mmakam2
2G TL Tires, Wheels & Suspension
3
09-15-2012 06:56 PM
Spryguy
3G TL Tires, Wheels & Suspension
3
12-19-2011 03:37 PM
dark inspire
2G TL Tires, Wheels & Suspension
21
03-14-2005 04:03 PM
962.5tl
First Generation TL (1996-1998)
0
01-27-2002 05:55 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replaced ADS struts/shocks to non-tech


Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.