"Replace Battery" Notification

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 08:22 AM
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"Replace Battery" Notification

I am a proud owner of a new to me 2010 ZDX. A few cars ago I had a 2005 RL that I eventually traded with 140k and absolutely nothing wrong with it other than some minor cosmetic issues. After that I had a Volvo C30 and most recently an Audi A5, and although both were pretty awesome to drive they were in the shop more and not very practical. I am hoping my ZDX with stand up as well as the RL.

My question is, the "Replace Battery" notification keeps coming on. I'm pretty sure the battery is just fine since it was checked and was holding a good charge. I have seen there is a TSB out there where they update some software and perhaps change the wire that houses the sensor? I did a forum search and found that some people had the same issue, but no one really said if they had the TSB completed, what it entailed, and whether it fixed the problem.

Has anyone else had this issue resolved, and what did it take?

Thanks!
Old 04-15-2016, 03:22 PM
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Don't know about the TSB, but if you are driving around with a 6 yr. old lead acid battery in a car with the ZDX's electrical demand, you are really tempting fate (I don't even want to THINK about the extensive damage/expense a botched jump-start might cause). The OEM battery is undersized as it is. Forget about the sensor and just bite the bullet & upgrade/replace the battery before it strands you.
FYI: The recommended Optima AGM yellow-top replacement (like I have) is actually physically smaller than OEM, and will need some installing improvisation. The next size up should be a drop-in, and the reserve power likely won't be wasted if you make full use of all the accessory functions. If you are handy, take ALL precautions as listed in the service manual, you COULD DIY, and the larger Optima's discounted Amazon price (free delivery) plus labor savings should equal what a shop would charge to install a prorated OEM (?). Even if the car you bought is under full warranty, and a replacement is free for you, I would still consider the Optima. The dealer who sold me my 'certified' ZDX claimed the battery was recently tested/good. When it died immediately and stranded me, the most they would do was refund the amount I paid Amazon. AGM batteries last 2-3 times as long as lead acid. Do you really want to deal with this issue again 4 years from now?
Old 04-15-2016, 03:59 PM
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the response.

I had a new battery installed over lunch and so far the light has stayed off. Hopefully this is a permanent fix. I didn't get quite as nice of one as you recommended since I'm in a bit of a rush and need to hit the road again, but went with a larger one than OEM. I'm sure the dealer will thank me as well since they said they'd reimburse the costs.