My 2010 Acura ZDX Advanced CBP

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 02:37 AM
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts
Well my car has been on jack stands for the past week trying to find some lowering springs from a different honda platform. While trying different applications like the Oddysey, CRV, and Pilot I found a perfect match with H&R 05-07 Honda Odyssey lowering springs. These work perfect because the Odyssey weight is almost exact to the ZDX. The suspension setup is a lot the same. And the spring design is very similar. In the process the front driver inner axle came out of the casing and I was able to get it back into place without putting a hole in the boot. It was a lesson learned and had to order a new boot. I have now installed the front lowering springs and they came out perfect. I have been driving around for the last hour and everything feels and sounds great. I will be installing the rears tomorrow so I will let you guys/gals know how it goes. It needs to settle but im guessing the drop is right ay an inch, it looks perfect! Pictures coming this weekend, stay tuned. Im excited and wanted to let everyone know the good news.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:36 AM

Received 9,507 Likes on 6,176 Posts
That's awesome!
Old 10-22-2011, 05:47 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts
NICE.... Let us know how the springs affect the IDS too please...
Old 10-23-2011, 10:53 AM
Pro

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts
nice! waiting for pics
Old 10-23-2011, 04:59 PM
Pro

Well everything is installed and the car feels much more responsive on acceleration and braking. The rears actually raised the car when I installed them yesterday. Not much maybe by 15mm but this was a disappointment. I had no choice but to cut off a coil from the top and place them back in the perch. After cutting a coil off it was a perfect drop and even with the front. I will be going in for an alignment this week. So far everything solid and I have driven the car very aggressively with no rubbing or noises. You guys with the IDS will be glad to here there are no lights on the dash and the feeling in comfort is much more sporty. I felt comfort mode was a bit too comfy and this made it really balance out really well on the sporty side. When switching to sport mode the ride is very solid and firm. To explain it better comfort mode feels more like sport mode and sport mode feels like extra sport mode if that makes any sense. Well here are the pictures, and if any of you guys would like to drop your ZDX this way I will explain all the parts you need and help you out!

I didn't have my good camera today but these will do!

Old 10-23-2011, 08:49 PM
Chapter Leader (Northeast Florida)

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts
You have really transformed your ZDX into a beautiful looking ride... Great work on the drop .
Old 10-24-2011, 08:37 AM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
wow that looks good funny thing you cut the coils in rear i had a 05 odyssey with hnr springs and your stock zdx wheels i had to cut the fronts to get it even with the rears but thumbs up on the zdx looks amazing
Old 10-24-2011, 11:46 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts
nice. if you have extra $$ lying around get bigger rotors and brakes with red calipers.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:24 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by FYAH TL
You have really transformed your ZDX into a beautiful looking ride... Great work on the drop .
Thanks man, I was hoping it would lower it a little more but I cant complain.

Originally Posted by ANDYCHULOSKI09
wow that looks good funny thing you cut the coils in rear i had a 05 odyssey with hnr springs and your stock zdx wheels i had to cut the fronts to get it even with the rears but thumbs up on the zdx looks amazing
Thanks! Ya even though the rear springs from the odyssey are lower than the stock ZDX springs they are thicker. Im sure this is due to all the passengers the van will take. Just glad everything worked out!

Originally Posted by pickler
nice. if you have extra $$ lying around get bigger rotors and brakes with red calipers.
Thanks dude, I have been looking into a brake upgrade. My thing is I love the way this thing stops right now so I may wait awhile till I need to start replacing pads and such. Time will tell. I think I would rather do an exhaust or intake right now.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:56 PM

Damn that looks great!
Old 10-24-2011, 01:03 PM
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts
Damnnnn! your car just gets sicker & sicker lol. Hey bro would you mind explainin to me the whole process ? like what springs & how much you cut em? Because after weeks of thinkin ive finally decided to stick with the zdx & so im lookin into a custom exhaust hopefully this week & then got to save for all this but would like to know the whole details before i even save
Old 10-24-2011, 04:08 PM
Pro

you're a real ZDX mod guru))

I probably wouldnt slam my ZDX but yours looks great
Old 10-24-2011, 05:08 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by CLtotheTL32
Damn that looks great!
Thanks

Originally Posted by NYSoni
Damnnnn! your car just gets sicker & sicker lol. Hey bro would you mind explainin to me the whole process ? like what springs & how much you cut em? Because after weeks of thinkin ive finally decided to stick with the zdx & so im lookin into a custom exhaust hopefully this week & then got to save for all this but would like to know the whole details before i even save
Thanks! I have put together a DIY for you, and will post it.

Originally Posted by Sandro
you're a real ZDX mod guru))

I probably wouldnt slam my ZDX but yours looks great
Thanks! Glad you like it, I wasted a lot of money trying different things so I hope more people will do the mod. I know its not for everyone.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:20 PM
Pro

Ok I wanted to put together a Quick DIY on how you can lower your ZDX with the Honda Odyssey springs.

First you will need the following parts.
H&R 2005-2007 Honda Odyssey springs Part#51815 $399.00
You will need two of these OEM Part# 51402-SHJ-A01 RUBBER, FR. SPRING MOUNT
These usually go on the top of the front springs but you will use your factory ones for the top of the new H&R springs. The two new rubber mounts you purchase will go on the bottom of the H&R springs so it is not sitting on metal. I felt this would help with noises.
You will need an impact, spring compressors, jack, jack stands, rubber gloves, cutting wheel, and all the tools descibed in the photos. Im sure im missing something so if you have any question just ask!

This is not my photo but it is the same springs I used.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:40 PM
Pro

Thanks so much for taking the time out for the whole breakdown & the car looks amazing once again lol.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:46 PM
Pro

No problem! When you get your springs let me know and I tell how much to cut off. I need to look at my rear springs again and see where how much I took out, but I have a pretty good idea. Where the bottom of the rear spring ends follow that all the way to the top and cut there if that makes any sense?
Old 10-24-2011, 05:59 PM
Pro

Here is an exact placement of my cut for the rear springs. I dont think I would cut more only because when the car is lifted on jack stand a full release the rear spring is a bit loose in the perch. If you plan on jumping your ZDX I would not recommend this mod lol. If I where you I would cut less off and if you want it lowered more cut more. It would suck to cut too much off, because at this point you will need to cut the front to even it out and I didnt even want to cut the rears.

Last edited by mugen_kid; 10-24-2011 at 06:05 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:47 PM
Pro

Lol alright thanks & yea it makes sense but i dont think ima get to all this at least within in the next 2-3 weeks due to college
Old 10-25-2011, 12:29 PM
Pro

I hope you are not going to sell your baby anymore?
Old 10-25-2011, 02:22 PM
Pro

Im not selling anymore. I need a car like this and the NSX can wait. I told myself to pay this thing off in the next couple years, then get another NSX
Old 10-25-2011, 02:31 PM
Pro

Went out yesterday and did another shot of the car (ya I know lay off the pics)

Old 10-25-2011, 02:44 PM
Pro

The car looks too damn awesome
I hope I'll outcome you in mods some day)
Old 10-27-2011, 02:24 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
mugen_kid,

All I can say is: AWESOME, MAN!!

Not only that you show others what a true beauty ZDX actually is (what we here have been seeing all this time already ;-) and its true potential, you've given the car (and Acura/Honda) a good name and that its actually worth it.

I'm still loving my 'untouched' ZDX Advance... ;-)

Keep it up!
Old 11-03-2011, 07:57 PM
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 177 Posts
One word sums it all....."Flawless" good job!
Old 11-04-2011, 10:22 AM
2010 ZDX Tech Black/Ebony

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

What are the differences in the driving characteristics of the ZDX after all of your modifications from the factory original? Thanks.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:54 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Sandro
The car looks too damn awesome
I hope I'll outcome you in mods some day)
Im sure you will, there's only so much we can do to these damn cars! The amber in the headlight is really bugging me I really would like to replace it with a custom LED lighting.

Originally Posted by ZZZZZDX_White
mugen_kid,

All I can say is: AWESOME, MAN!!

Not only that you show others what a true beauty ZDX actually is (what we here have been seeing all this time already ;-) and its true potential, you've given the car (and Acura/Honda) a good name and that its actually worth it.

I'm still loving my 'untouched' ZDX Advance... ;-)

Keep it up!
Thanks a lot man, I agree the ZDX is a beauty as is and a little mods can go along way with this car. I have only seen one ZDX since I bought mine and that feels good too!

Originally Posted by KB1Spec
One word sums it all....."Flawless" good job!
Thanks bro

Originally Posted by Garibaldi
What are the differences in the driving characteristics of the ZDX after all of your modifications from the factory original? Thanks.
I think the biggest changes in all my mods was the lowering springs. I will admit after driving this thing around for the last couple weeks and it has settled it is rougher than I would have liked. I didn't mind the big wheels without the lowering springs and the ride was still really good. Im actually contacting a company soon to see if they can make me some coil springs for the ZDX. Ones that actually are the proper fitment and spring rate. The odyssey springs I installed dropped it at a nice height but I think the spring rate is a bit too soft. Luckily with the IDS suspension I can choose the ride quality a bit. Im just afraid you guys without the IDS suspension would not be pleased with the ride.
The following users liked this post:
Garibaldi (11-06-2011)
Old 11-06-2011, 02:31 PM
Pro

My damn moonroof sun visor broke last night. It scared the hell out of me, it was so loud! It was half way open then BAM something broke and it sprung shut really fast making a gun shot noise. I have always had a weird creaking noise from the sunroof area, maybe this was the reason. Well looks like I will add it to the list of things to fix. Not to mention I have been having a replace battery light on the dash for the last month.
Old 11-06-2011, 03:02 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by mugen_kid
Went out yesterday and did another shot of the car (ya I know lay off the pics) ]
NO!!! Keep up the pics.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:59 PM
Pro

Im sure you will, there's only so much we can do to these damn cars! The amber in the headlight is really bugging me I really would like to replace it with a custom LED lighting.
You read my mind I have some serious mod plans for the lighting, and negotiating about heavily modding the tail lights. Such a shame that ZDX didn't keep the beautiful tail lights from the ZDX concept car.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:45 PM

My moonroof sun visor also broke, but not the way yours did. It made a funny noise and then the back part would not close but sort of folded up like a fan on one side. It took the dealer three tries (and 3 new roll up visors) before it was installed correctly. I too have the funny creaking noise from the roof; it happens once each time I start to drive the car forward, and then does not repeat itself. It's still there after the sun visor was correctly replaced.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:42 AM
Pro

My moonroof sun visor also broke, but not the way yours did. It made a funny noise and then the back part would not close but sort of folded up like a fan on one side. It took the dealer three tries (and 3 new roll up visors) before it was installed correctly. I too have the funny creaking noise from the roof; it happens once each time I start to drive the car forward, and then does not repeat itself. It's still there after the sun visor was correctly replaced.
Ya my front part still works fine but the back part stops half way then slams stut. Did they have to remove the headliner to fix your visor? Im worried the car will have to be torn apart to fix the issue.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:49 AM
Pro

I just got off the phone with a company called Coil Spring Specialties and I was told they can make lowering springs for our ZDX. I will be doing the measurements then sending my factory springs in for them to go off of for the new set. Im thinking I will go for about 1.5 all around. It will take them about 6 weeks to turnaround and the cost will be around $500.00. Let me know if any of you guys are interested and im sure they could make you a set at the same time. Im excited and hoping I can get more of a stock ride back. Stay tuned!
Old 11-09-2011, 09:37 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...Well looks like I will add it to the list of things to fix. Not to mention I have been having a replace battery light on the dash for the last month.
About 2 weeks ago, I started my car in the morning and received the "Replace Battery" warning message. I took the message with a grain of salt, the message went away, but I drove for the next day or two with minimal electronics on...just in case.
A couple of days ago I took the car in for it's first A1 service -- the battery was tested and passed with flying colors. So....I'm not quite sure if the "Replace Battery" message is a red herring just like some of the other battery-related messages that we report along with those shared on the MDX forum.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:56 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replace battery message

My 2010 ZDX also had the replace battery message. I did not have a problem starting the car after that, but for the next few days the steering wheel radio controls were all messed up. Like I would push up on the channel change button and the mode would change. I would push the up volume button and the channel would change. Only the steering wheel buttons were affected, not the radio itself.

Anyway, I brought the car to the dealer to be looked at, but since by then the controls were working correctly they said the battery was fine and nothing needed to be done.

I am curious if anybody else who had the replace battery message also had other system problems after that.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:41 AM

I am not certain what they had to do to replace it, but it took several days and several attempts to get it done right. It works fine now, although I tend to cringe everytime I use it. Mine failed in exactly the same way yours did.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:01 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by trail runner
About 2 weeks ago, I started my car in the morning and received the "Replace Battery" warning message. I took the message with a grain of salt, the message went away, but I drove for the next day or two with minimal electronics on...just in case.
A couple of days ago I took the car in for it's first A1 service -- the battery was tested and passed with flying colors. So....I'm not quite sure if the "Replace Battery" message is a red herring just like some of the other battery-related messages that we report along with those shared on the MDX forum.
Looks like I just need to yake it in soon, with around 24k miles it could be the battery due to the heat in AZ. Batterys usually last around 2 years around this place.

Originally Posted by The_drake
My 2010 ZDX also had the replace battery message. I did not have a problem starting the car after that, but for the next few days the steering wheel radio controls were all messed up. Like I would push up on the channel change button and the mode would change. I would push the up volume button and the channel would change. Only the steering wheel buttons were affected, not the radio itself.

Anyway, I brought the car to the dealer to be looked at, but since by then the controls were working correctly they said the battery was fine and nothing needed to be done.

I am curious if anybody else who had the replace battery message also had other system problems after that.
Thats odd, I have not had any issues like you stated. Hope you dont have anymore issues like that.

I am not certain what they had to do to replace it, but it took several days and several attempts to get it done right. It works fine now, although I tend to cringe everytime I use it. Mine failed in exactly the same way yours did.
Thanks for the reply, im hoping they can fix this in one attempt. Its really bugging me.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:13 PM
Pro

Ok I need a favor from someone. I need to get the specs on our cars stock height. Since im lowered with 22" wheels this will not work on my car. And since I dont know anyone around town with a ZDX I was hoping someone on here could help. I need someone to measure the right height of a stock ZDX with factory wheels. The car needs to be on flat ground like a garage to get the best determined drop possible. Once I have the measurements I will send my factory springs in for the making at Coil Spring Specialties. All you will need to do is take a tape measure and start from the ground and measure all the way up till you hit the bottom of the fender in the center of the wheel. If you can get photos thats even better. I sure hope someone can do this for me so I dont have to go to the dealer. I have a picture for a detail of what I need. Once I know the measurement from the ground to the bottom of the fender in inches I can send my springs in. Thanks!

Old 11-21-2011, 12:51 PM
Pro

I have been wanting to get rid of the chrome trim around the windows lately. So I found a local shop the sells the 3M Matte Black vehicle wrap. It took me most the day saturday but it turned out great. I love the look and make it more stealth.

Another cool mod I have been working on lately is a leather pillow for the rear seats, yes that's right I said a pillow. My mom does Embroidery so I designed a logo for her and she made the pillow. Works great for the headrest.

Old 11-21-2011, 01:02 PM

Damn I love your ZDX. Makes me want to get rid of the TL.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:37 PM
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 12 Posts
Your ZDX is looking better and better! Everything you've done improves the looks. You should send a resume (with pics) to Acura.

Quick Reply: My 2010 Acura ZDX Advanced CBP