AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   ZDX (https://acurazine.com/forums/zdx-326/)
-   -   Maintence schedule (Timing Belt) question (https://acurazine.com/forums/zdx-326/maintence-schedule-timing-belt-question-974274/)

Bryan Sage 10-23-2018 10:27 AM

Maintence schedule (Timing Belt) question

Not sure where to post. I am looking at a 2010 ZDX 210k miles. The maintenance schedule reads like this
  • Replace timing belt and inspect water pump
    If you drive regularly in very high temperatures (over 110°F, 43°C), in very low temperatures (under -20°F, -29°C), or tow a trailer, replace every 60,000 miles (U.S.)/100,000 km (Canada).
And that is all I can find in regard to the timing belt. I expect this to be a big enough ticket item that I would need to add 1 or 2k to the price?? But I do not see where it recommends a belt change except under the above conditions. This is a midwest car and it's my understanding you really can not tow much with these. I am waiting on a call back from the dealer. However, I would expect if the timing belt had been changed it would have been included as the other maintenance had in the CarFax.

What would be a ballpark cost on the repair? How important is it?

Thanks in advance
Bryan Sage

justnspace 10-23-2018 10:30 AM

the standard time frame is at 105k miles for - water pump, timing belt and tensioners, and spark plugs.

Depending on WHO you go to will determine price of labor...the dealership charges the most and can range from $300 (Honda dealers) to $1200 at Acura dealers.

Indie mechanics can be cheaper than the dealerships; you just gotta know the right people.

How important is it??? well, the Acura/Honda J-motors are interference motors...meaning, if the belt snaps...the pistons can interfere with the valves... metal bits will bend.

losiglow 10-23-2018 10:50 AM

Welcome to the board. There's a ZDX forum where the moderators will likely move your post. However, the ZDX has the same generation V6 as every other current Honda and Acura vehicle with a V6 with exception to the NSX I believe.

There's been some discussion over timing belt change intervals. There's definitely some ambiguity there. Most owners manuals indicate every 105K miles. Some have also stated every 7 years if you don't reach 105K within that time. I believe the tech manual states to "inspect" the water pump, tensioner and pulleys. However, most guys opt to get those replaced as well, since the majority of the expense with a timing belt job is the labor - not the parts. And it's easy to change those other parts while the timing belt is removed. So inquire about that with the dealer or whatever mechanic you choose. Also, failure of those other components can be just as destructive to the engine as the timing belt failing. Even at dealer prices, the water pump is probably $150 max with the tensioner and pulleys being another $150 or so. If you were to purchase all the parts yourself you could get the entire kit, timing belt and all, for around $250 but it's unlikely that the dealer will allow you to provide your own parts.

There's been a pretty wide range of quotes I've seen here. Ballpark cost for an Acura dealer doing the job, and replacing all of those components, is probably between $900-$1700. I'd plan for the high range. Another option is asking your local Honda dealer about the job. Like I said, the V6 is the same between Honda models as well, such as the Pilot, Accord V6 and Ridgeline. Many Honda dealers are more than happy to do the job on an Acura. And it's almost always cheaper than the Acura dealer since any luxury dealer is going to jack up prices just because they know they can. Also, parts between an "Acura" V6 and "Honda" V6 are identical. So the parts they use will be the same between dealers.

As far as importance, it's definitely critical. The current gen Honda/Acura V6 is an interference design meaning that if timing belt breaks, the pistons and valves will be out of sync, often resulting in them smashing against one another. That's a super expensive fix, involving teardown of the cylinder heads at the least, engine replacement at the worst. Well above the cost of the timing belt job to say the least :tongue: However, having said that, it's been extremely rare to hear of timing belts breaking before or at the change interval and even well after the recommended interval. Personally, I've gone over the interval with three vehicles that have the same engine, with the most extreme being my Honda Pilot which I didn't change the belt until 180K miles. :what: The two TL's I've had I went over the interval by about 30K and 40K respectively. I certainly don't recommend anyone do that. But it was a risk I was willing to take because based on my experience in the design and manufacturing industry, I believe timing belt components are over-engineered (as are many components of any critical process) to make sure that even the outliers won't likely fail until the change interval at the very least. Still, if you're hitting the interval, it's always a good idea to get it done.

horseshoez 10-23-2018 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by losiglow (Post 16318373)
Welcome to the board. There's a ZDX forum where the moderators will likely move your post. However, the ZDX has the same generation V6 as every other current Honda and Acura vehicle with a V6 with exception to the NSX I believe.

And:
  • Honda/Acura Legend
  • Acura RL (1996-2004)
  • Honda Inspire (1995-1998)

Bryan Sage 10-23-2018 12:35 PM

Thanks for the fast responses. Living rurally in Iowa excludes many vehicles makes just because there is nowhere within a few hour drive to get them worked on. I do, however, have a Honda dealer 45 minutes away.

At heart, I am a sports car guy. Iowa means I also have to be a deep snow guy several months a year. I have owned an Isuzu Vehicross the last 10 yrs. It is hard to find what I want outside Audi, BMW, Volvo or Porsche. Maintenance/ repair also make these options cost prohibitive as well as a logistic problem. I am hopeful the ZDX will scratch my itch.

I really do appreciate the advice. I am currently in research mode. It has always been my experience "Owners Forums" are the hands down, the best place to get good information to make informed decisions. Thanks again.

Bryan

HondaOwnerForLife 10-26-2018 06:49 AM

I had the timing belt done on my 2010 at 7 years. My "read" was 7 years, 105K, whichever comes first. I have a really good relationship with my local Acura service manager. If I recall my cost was just north of $700. Yes, it is a big ticket item expense-wise, but also critical, and I did not want to mess with a big problem, so there you have it. It is a personal choice, yet one that should be weighed carefully against the consequences of not doing it, which others here have extolled already. Good luck. I love the 2013 example of the model that I own...

micellison71 01-03-2019 08:25 PM

I wonder why they went with the a belt instead of a chain. My timing belt service is past due about 900 miles. Acura sent me a coupon for 10% off the service for the belt replacement which I am sure doesn’t cover the other stuff like the water pump, the tension pulley, valve adjustment and spark plugs . Which the service tech told me is needed for the recommend service.