impossibly to get in and out of

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 04:59 PM
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
impossibly to get in and out of

This design is the worst, I bet you'll hurt yourself getting in and out of this car, try it it is painful
Old 01-11-2010, 05:55 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It isn't impossible, but, it is a challenge. It is the only thing I don't like about it.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:11 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Wink Eh

I had no problems getting in the driver's seat ... the backseat is a different story tho.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:34 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I agree, but I have a back condition that makes my back stiff, so I thought it was just me. Any car with a lowish opening is harder for me. but my CLS is not a problem and it is lower. I think the ZDX space between the seat bottom and the top of the door opening may be smaller. don't know.

The XDZ back doors remind me of clowns at the circus climbing in a little car!
Old 01-11-2010, 07:12 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
Did you try already?

Originally Posted by xxx_busa
This design is the worst, I bet you'll hurt yourself getting in and out of this car, try it it is painful
I wonder if your statement is based on personal experience, or sheer speculation?

I don't see how it would be difficult to get in and out of the front seats. The rear door does look a bit smaller and narrower, but I will reserve my judgment until I have actually seen and tried to get in and out of an actual vehicle.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:25 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Whether or not ingress/egress is difficult, the aesthetics are all off.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:53 PM
3rd Gear

The way to get in the back seats is headfirst. Once in, it isn't too bad.

The challenge getting out of it is the very wide door lips - it is hard not to rub against the when getting out.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:44 PM
e92 335i

Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by princelybug
Whether or not ingress/egress is difficult, the aesthetics are all off.

i noticed you've had to bring up and bash the appearance of the zdx in every post u made in the zdx forum even though some of the topics (like this one) have nothing to do with aesthetics of the car. just my
Old 01-12-2010, 12:33 PM
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts
I sat in one this weekend. The Front is easy to get into. The back seat however is a mystery. I hit my head going in & out.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:44 PM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
It's hard to please everyone, with that said, this car is not for everyone. Try the MDX, that's got more utility and head room.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:37 PM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I checked it out last week. They might as well of made it a coupe... getting in and out of the back is difficult at best. Open the door and the seat is right there. If the seat was back a little further it would help. I also hit my head getting in and out of the front.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:04 PM
I have car ADD

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
I checked out the ZDX today. I absolutely LOVED it.... such a sweet ride.... no complaints getting in and out of it... I am 6'2 200lbs

The backseat, was a little tricky.....
Old 02-04-2010, 09:56 AM
2nd Gear

I can say from experience and watching people get in and out of one all day long... The backseat is definitely tight to get in and out of. You almost have to go in head first and then watch the roof line as you sit back. Once in it though it isn't bad. It almost reminds me of sitting in the back of my friends older cobra mustang. Once you are in there you definitely arent going anywhere and its extremely comfortable. But like someone said, the goal is to be the one in the drivers seat!

-Lou
Old 02-04-2010, 01:06 PM
Colorado Springs

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by ladiesman217
i noticed you've had to bring up and bash the appearance of the zdx in every post u made in the zdx forum even though some of the topics (like this one) have nothing to do with aesthetics of the car. just my
I know I'm in for a treat when the title of the thread has a grammatical error.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:32 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 527 Likes on 339 Posts
I got to see it up close and personal and sit in it at the auto show yesterday. IMO nothing special at all, and not even close to worth the price tag. But I am not really that interested in vehicles like this, so I'm probably not the best judge.

I imagine there will be some pretty hefty incentives on the price very soon after release, and I just can't see this thing being a huge seller.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:13 AM
My bolonga has a 1st name

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
couldn't be worse than an X5 or CLS

I mean lets face it... how often will you actually have people in the back seat.. and if you are going to do so on a regular basis, shouldn't the MDX have been a better buy?
Old 02-27-2010, 06:55 PM
Instructor

Finally got to see one in person..

Granted, I have a 60 year old back....

Local dealer has a white one on floor....after looking at a TSX and TL, the zdx looked like a bloated, beached whale..

Tried to get in FRONT driver seat and almost threw my back out...I drive a silky smooth 2006 TSX, NO comparison in comfort here....my 2006 is VASTLY more comfortable

As a matter of fact I was with my 6'3'' brother-in-law who was trying the back seat and he blurted out not realizing a salesperson was very close...."WTF, for $50,000 you would at least think I could get in ..."

Did not want a test drive in a car that hurt to sit in..

Granted, for some, this is probably a neat car....lot of other options out there for that kind of money....
Old 03-02-2010, 10:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 137 Likes on 79 Posts
Well, I know you like to harp on your "old-guy-ed-ness", but saying the '06 TSX is vastly more comfortable than the ZDX is hyperbole. I think the ZDX cockpit fits like a glove, and the indisputably higher quality of the interior materials makes for a more "comfortable" experience, whether or not you weren't used to sitting in one.

The TSX is a great car for what it is, but the rather hard, flat seats and spartan interior do not fit my definition of comfort. And trying to put a very tall man in the back seat is as absurd as complaining that you can't fit a big sheet of lumber in the TSX's trunk--neither is what the respective vehicle was designed for. There are plenty of other vehicles in the $50K+ class that he'd be equally uncomfortable in; price does not equate space.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:25 PM

I agree... if space is your concern why are you even considering the ZDX?

If speed and performance were my main interests, I wouldn't be looking at say a Corolla... buying a ZDX for interior space is equally absurd.

No one goes onto fitfreak.net, or yarisworld.com and writes a review of the cars with their main problem being 'holy crap this thing is slow' --- its just a given, and an accepted norm for that car.

Besides, its not like you have to look far for interior space--- hell even cheaper, and arguably better looking MDX is sitting right next to it.
Old 03-06-2010, 03:24 AM
Bleed Honda Blue

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I got a chance to sit in the ZDX today. I am only 5'8" and had a hard time getting into the rear seats. Once I got in, my hair is touching the roof liner. Front seats were better but the driving position is horrible, the dash is too big and high. I couldn't judge where the front bumper ends. Looking in the rear view mirror, makes me feel like I am in a 1988 CRX! I always thought I was a Honda Blue guy but now realized that whoever bought the $56K ZDX is a true diehard HONDA BLUE fan!
Old 03-07-2010, 07:13 PM
Instructor

Wink another realist speaks...

Originally Posted by sgmotoring
I got a chance to sit in the ZDX today. I am only 5'8" and had a hard time getting into the rear seats. Once I got in, my hair is touching the roof liner. Front seats were better but the driving position is horrible, the dash is too big and high. I couldn't judge where the front bumper ends. Looking in the rear view mirror, makes me feel like I am in a 1988 CRX! I always thought I was a Honda Blue guy but now realized that whoever bought the $56K ZDX is a true diehard HONDA BLUE fan!

SHH!! comparing your experience to a 1988 CRX could be construed as another case of HYPERBOLE...
The ZDX will likely go down as a "What were they thinking" limited production vehicles sold only to a few "Elitists" with delusions of grandeur..
Old 03-07-2010, 07:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
Or maybe the ZDX will be sold to people who simply wanted something different. Does the entire country have to drive an F150, Honda Accord, or Toyota Camry? Maybe the Mercedes CLS, BMW X6, and Acura ZDX are examples of companies using pre-existing, popular platforms to meet the wants (not needs) of small niches.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:40 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Impossible? Try an Exige
Old 03-07-2010, 08:15 PM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by jhr3uva90
Or maybe the ZDX will be sold to people who simply wanted something different. Does the entire country have to drive an F150, Honda Accord, or Toyota Camry? Maybe the Mercedes CLS, BMW X6, and Acura ZDX are examples of companies using pre-existing, popular platforms to meet the wants (not needs) of small niches.
Word, man!

Ignorance is bliss, eh?(to the posters who don't get the reason for the ZDX)
Old 03-07-2010, 08:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
I think it is smart to base a low-volume vehicle on Acura's most popular model. I hope the ZDX will be profitable per unit, even if they don't sell many units.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:24 PM
not an SUV ...a Big Hatch

Received 89 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by sgmotoring
....makes me feel like I am in a 1988 CRX!
I think that people are just not seeing it... RDX is like the old civic hatch backs, and the ZDX is CR-Xish (just look at the RJ photochops)...Just at like 120-150% size, and obviously more powerful and sophisticated...but the winning formula was there...people loved those cars for various reasons...they sold like a bazillion of the old school cars... why not make them powerful and actually nice.

...looks like they did.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:38 PM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
This weekend I finally had the chance to see the ZDX in person and test the back seat dilemma by myself. I would be the first one to tell you, It is not as bad as they say it it is. I am 6'2" and getting in and out of the ZDX was not any different or harder than doing it with any other coupe. Of course you do have to watch your head as you go in but it is not impossible. I was more concerned with rear visibility and cargo space than with any other thing. Both my friend and I liked the design but he who currently owns an X5 thought it was too expensive.

oh well, There is a market for everything and every one.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:16 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
I finally saw the ZDX at the local dealership last Saturday. WHAT A BEAUTIFUL CAR!!! I fell in love with the cutting edge design right away. The vehicle was not as big as I thought it would be. In fact, it looked like just the right size. The interior was beautifully executed. It was a wonderfully individual and unique design all over.

There are just two negative things about it:

1. Yes, it's very hard to get in and out of the rear seat without hitting the head! I am only a short (5'7") and slim guy and I had difficulty getting in and out of it.

2. There are some big gaps between the panels. It's quite obvious, especially between the doors and the rest of the body.

Other than these issues, if you take the vehicle as a coupe with 2 extra doors and added utilities, then it's a totally amazing car. Hey, I guess if Acura took away those two rear doors and sell it as a 2 door coupe, then nobody would be making these complaints here about the rear door, right!? LOL
Old 03-09-2010, 12:48 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 101 Posts
I have to admit it, the ZDX has grown on me and I'm hooked on the design. I spent quite a while in a showroom model the other day as my MDX was in for service. With a new baby in our housedhold, there's no way I would buy this vehicle and negotiate a baby carrier in-and-out of the back seats.

But if my wife and I were empty nesters and wanted a fun SUV/crossover that we didn't mind having the occasional passengers in the rear, this would be our car.

Love it.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:38 PM
Racer

You guys are just complaining just to complain. I sat in the vehicle both front and back and its not difficult to get in and out and im 6'. Yea it might be a little tighter than most cars to get into the back but it was designed as a suv coupe, and coupes are all a little more difficult to get into.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:02 AM
5th Gear

I care less about the back seat. My wife put the kabosh on it due to how wide it is from the front seat edge to the vehicle edge. As much as I hate admit it, she has a valid point for her. It was fine for me, but it was a stretch for her.
So, it's off my list- gone to the dark side with an EX35.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:25 PM
7th Gear

I like the ZDX enough to order one. It meets all my requirements for creature comfort while driving. It has an extremely user-friendly entertainment package, unique interior, quiet and smooth ride. The back-seat size isn't an issue for me, the only people ever back there are little kids. I am moving from a 2006 Mustang GT to the ZDX and can't wait!
Old 04-29-2010, 04:50 PM
Safety Car

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
^Congrats man!!
Old 04-30-2010, 07:36 AM
Instructor

Seriously.. you all must be overweight or have medical issues if you cant bend your neck a little to sit in the back seat of this thing. Im 6ft 215 and have no problem at all .. sure its not like a conventional back door but its not this tiny hole that you are all pouting about.
and once inside.. there is plenty of room and its extremely comfortable. I can imagine this thread is like a womans bathroom.. bunch of chicks just bit&^ing just so they can keep their jaws flapping.

Getting into the back seat of a ZDX takes the same bend as getting into the back of my GS350 that was traded in on it.

I agree with the poster that said its not a vehicle for everyone.. and its not. They dont market this to the family .. heck watch the video .. its marketed to empty nesters or DINCS. http://www.acura.com/VideoGallery.as...videos#/video1

I have a ZDX and sofar it is amazing. If you dont like the looks, dont buy it. Im over the broken record of people whining about something they will never use.

peace
Old 04-30-2010, 11:23 AM
Safety Car

I have noticed one thing here. All 6 feet+ people said it is fairly easy to get in to the back seats and they don't have any problem at all BUT all people below 6 feet are making a big deal out of it. I don't get it. I think its just that you just don't like the overall vehicle and just nitpicking stuff to dis on it somehow.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:25 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JZDX
Seriously.. you all must be overweight or have medical issues if you cant bend your neck a little to sit in the back seat of this thing. Im 6ft 215 and have no problem at all .. sure its not like a conventional back door but its not this tiny hole that you are all pouting about.
and once inside.. there is plenty of room and its extremely comfortable. I can imagine this thread is like a womans bathroom.. bunch of chicks just bit&^ing just so they can keep their jaws flapping.

Last edited by tmnhs81; 04-30-2010 at 11:27 AM.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by tmnhs81
I have noticed one thing here. All 6 feet+ people said it is fairly easy to get in to the back seats and they don't have any problem at all BUT all people below 6 feet are making a big deal out of it. I don't get it. I think its just that you just don't like the overall vehicle and just nitpicking stuff to dis on it somehow.
I think its beacuse people over 6foot are used to having to crouch a bit to get into a car... and those under 6 arne't used to it but have to do so with this.

Either way I went to check one out at a dealer recently... its not bad, and getting in the back while its not as simple as say as getting into an MDX its not that big of a deal... if it is, then its simply not the car for you... move on.

for what its worth i'm 5'8"
Old 05-08-2010, 07:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 85 Likes on 37 Posts
I had no issue what so ever getting into the car or out and I am only 5'11. I'm not sure why everyone is having such different experiences, but I for one had no problems.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:03 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by plastikman
I had no issue what so ever getting into the car or out and I am only 5'11. I'm not sure why everyone is having such different experiences, but I for one had no problems.
Well, my wife is 5 3 with new knees. So, yeah I see her point. I didn't have any issues, but one has to admit that egress is wider than most vehicles. Considering that this is a high end vehicle, built for the comfort of the front passengers, this is a legit issue for some. Maybe not all, but some.

Again, I really liked this Z, but my marriage has a higher priority.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:04 AM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm 5'9" and i had no problems with room in the ZDX i looked at when i went to buy my TL.

I sat in the front, adjusted the seat so that i was comfortable, then got in the back and sat there comfortably. I don't know what all the complaints are about.

Quick Reply: impossibly to get in and out of