First! Anybody buying one?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 03:11 PM
is out, so the

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I like the ZDX. I'm a fan of the entire niche though. A vehicle that drives like a sporty sedan, yet has some utility if needed, but is noticed in the valet line for being different.

Everyone is saying that BMW invented the niche, but I believe that is incorrect. Chrysler started the "sports touring" genre back in 2003 with the 2004 Pacifica. It was the first, or the first successful, vehicle that blurred the line between SUVs and sedans without making a wagon or minivan. Ford failed at the attempt to copy by creating the Freestyle which looked too station wagonish. Mercedes followed by introducing the R-Class. BMW just made an entry by chopping the top on an X5. The X6 just has more sport and ground clearence. The ZDX rides on the MDX platform, but isn't as related to it as the X6 is to the X5. BMW may have sliced the niche and created a 2 row, sport section, but it did not invent it.

One thing I do not like is calling them coupes. "Four door coupes" or "coupe utility vehicles" are not coupes. Mercedes CLS and Volkswagen CC are not four door coupes. They are merely emotional sedans with dramatic styling. They all have four doors. I'm not sure what Acura was thinking when they decided to hide the rear door handles in the c-pillar. No one is mistaking this thing for a 2 door, so please put all the handles in the right place.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:10 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you load the thing to the nines it tops out in the low to mid 60s. Acura is nuts to think they can sell something that ugly for that much.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:23 AM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Allen-
I like the ZDX. I'm a fan of the entire niche though. A vehicle that drives like a sporty sedan, yet has some utility if needed, but is noticed in the valet line for being different.

Everyone is saying that BMW invented the niche, but I believe that is incorrect. Chrysler started the "sports touring" genre back in 2003 with the 2004 Pacifica. It was the first, or the first successful, vehicle that blurred the line between SUVs and sedans without making a wagon or minivan. Ford failed at the attempt to copy by creating the Freestyle which looked too station wagonish. Mercedes followed by introducing the R-Class. BMW just made an entry by chopping the top on an X5. The X6 just has more sport and ground clearence. The ZDX rides on the MDX platform, but isn't as related to it as the X6 is to the X5. BMW may have sliced the niche and created a 2 row, sport section, but it did not invent it.

One thing I do not like is calling them coupes. "Four door coupes" or "coupe utility vehicles" are not coupes. Mercedes CLS and Volkswagen CC are not four door coupes. They are merely emotional sedans with dramatic styling. They all have four doors. I'm not sure what Acura was thinking when they decided to hide the rear door handles in the c-pillar. No one is mistaking this thing for a 2 door, so please put all the handles in the right place.
I pretty much agree with everything you just said.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:30 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by I8ABMR
If you load the thing to the nines it tops out in the low to mid 60s. Acura is nuts to think they can sell something that ugly for that much.
They just announced a lease on the Advance package (fully loaded) which is odd since usually advertised leases are on the cheapest version available.

$4999 at inception (+ tax and reg costs in your specific state)
$679 per month
36 months 10K per year.

Doesn't seem bad to me for a $56855 vehicle
Old 12-16-2009, 03:25 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EaeTCRy41k
i seen it in person, the car is mean, the back is the best part photos do no justice
Old 12-16-2009, 07:35 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ladiesman217
Uhh you can adjust the steering wheel, you know that right?
Yes I did that. The steering wheel is really small so almost any angle it's at, some part of it is blocking some part of the gauge cluster.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:39 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Allen-
um yeah, I actually did not realize it was a 4door when I checked it out on the showroom floor. I asked the salesman what the handles were for and they turned out to be door handles. Fooled me. But really, why call it a coupe? That just a flat out lie.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:12 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We just got the brochures in today at work. I am sure other dealers did as well.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:47 AM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by black label
They just announced a lease on the Advance package (fully loaded) which is odd since usually advertised leases are on the cheapest version available.

$4999 at inception (+ tax and reg costs in your specific state)
$679 per month
36 months 10K per year.

Doesn't seem bad to me for a $56855 vehicle
Your right. That does seem good. I just went to the website to get the details. Working backwards from the listed numbers, it seems they are offering the car with a 0.0009 MF and a 57% residual. That's why it's so good for a car that is going to sell at (or close to) MSRP for a while. With a standard MF and residual that car would be in the mid $800's

Question would be; can you get it for that same monthly payment in the spring with a lower negotiated price? Assuming the residual is several points lower, and the MF is more average (0.025?) then you'd probably still end up paying way more. Seems like this truly is a good deal and one people should jump on if they are interested in a loaded ZDX in the next 6 months or so.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:41 PM
Racer

Well I've seen this vehicle in person at the la auto show and I got to say, it doesn't look as bad as I thought it would. It looked way better in person and didn't look nearly as big as it does in the pics.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:02 AM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by kmatthe2
um yeah, I actually did not realize it was a 4door when I checked it out on the showroom floor. I asked the salesman what the handles were for and they turned out to be door handles. Fooled me. But really, why call it a coupe? That just a flat out lie.
The Acura design priorities were front passengers, cargo space for two, and then occasional space for more than front seat passengers. The target is an empty nesters luxury vehicle built on an MDX platform. The advance package should be good stuff. The ACC/CMBS is a great option after living with it for three years.
Old 12-20-2009, 05:40 PM
B A N N E D

Considering how few people make 170K+ on this forum, you opinions don't even count because your not the intended market. If you are 50+ and looking for a third car, the ZDX is a great option.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:18 PM
is out, so the

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^^ I've thought about that... Most of the people bashing it aren't in the targeted market, so they wouldn't like it anyways.

< No where near 50 and would buy one. Haven't even seen it the metal yet.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:25 PM
B A N N E D

I've driven it. It's fantastic. I can't afford one or I would have one. Perfect car for roadtrips with you and your spouse.
Old 12-22-2009, 06:29 PM
e92 335i

Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
saw it yesterday, loved it, but i dont think they are offering the advance package in canada, i asked the salesmen how much the car was including the advance package and he said no such thing existed, just the usual technology package
Old 01-25-2010, 01:32 PM
Advanced

doesn't look too bad.. but it's not great either.. also.. i think it's way overpriced! I'd rather get the mdx.. what's going on with Acura these days? Is it because of the new design studio? Acura is not Advancing these days... so sad... I love honda's and acura's but I think my next car I'm gonna have to hop over to lexus or even infiniti..
Old 03-21-2010, 07:34 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Chas2
The Acura design priorities were front passengers, cargo space for two, and then occasional space for more than front seat passengers. The target is an empty nesters luxury vehicle built on an MDX platform. The advance package should be good stuff. The ACC/CMBS is a great option after living with it for three years.
This fits for what I'm looking for. I have a coupe that's a bit dicey in foul weather in Mich. and I'd like a bit more cargo room.
I'm looking at the Infiniti EX35 too.
Old 03-27-2010, 11:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 85 Likes on 37 Posts
The interior is great, the exterior will grow on you, but the sticker price is less then desirable, the MDX is cheaper. That's the part I don't really get or like.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 138 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by I8ABMR
No, because that's exactly how I'm going to option it out, and I'm all but ready to pull the trigger.