Anyone experience fogged ZDX headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 08:37 PM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Question Anyone experience fogged ZDX headlights?

I was wondering if anyone has experienced fogging of their headlights?

My 2010 was a California car and likely saw it's share of sun, although it's been in my garage for nearly 2 years. I am planning to approach Acura with covering this under warranty, as it is a certified preowned and still under warranty.

Can anyone offer any insight or speculation of whether I might be successful? I seem to recall hearing of someone who was successful in having this covered. I have not been successful in rubbing this out and shouldn't even have to expend the effort. I'm sure buying new lights would not be cheap.

Thanks!
Old 09-11-2014, 01:45 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
If you've tried a headlight kit like clearview and it didn't remove the haze then it's possible that the lens seals have failed and the haze is actually on the inside of the lens.
Old 09-11-2014, 03:24 PM
Pro

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts
i do have some stain inside the headlights apparently due to some fog in past
Old 09-19-2014, 07:26 AM
Intermediate

Mine appears to be on outside, like from sun damage. Dealer just told me that it is an "environmental" issue so not covered by warranty. I said, you drive cars in the freaking ENVIRONMENT! Also, they denied covering the fender well well issue for which their is a tsb. I am planning to write corporate.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:17 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
I live in the southwest also and I've used the 3M clear bra on my headlights/fogs along with frontend/mirrors. The 3M product has UV protection and it has prevented UV hazing on all three vehicles.

On my TSX, the clear bra on the headlights started to haze after 4 1/2 years. This caused the HID to look slightly dim and fuzzy instead of bright and sharp at the edges. The 3M product comes with a 5 year warranty and they replaced the entire clear bra for free (front end, side finders, side mirrors, headlights and fogs). There was zero hazing after replacing with the new clear bra on the headlights on the TSX. I'm back to the factory new on my HID for my +8 yr old TSX. The sales rep said they updated the formula since I installed the orignal clear bra in 06 to last longer and protect better.

I would DYI or professional clean the headlights and then Clear bra. I think they did my MDX for about $75.
The following users liked this post:
AGENTCOZ (10-04-2014)
Old 10-04-2014, 06:36 PM
Intermediate

Mrgold35,

I assume the bra is just clear film for the headlights? Sounds like it works, but aggravates me that Acura, or any car co. For that matter, would manufacture a vehicle that will not withstand a few years of sun. That's a material failure to me...
Old 10-05-2014, 12:48 PM
Pro

Received 92 Likes on 66 Posts
Since I live in Phoenix the ZDX did have the same issues, I took it to the dealer and they buffed them out. They told me if it comes back they would replace them under warranty. I would call corporate and discuss this issue. Kill them with kindness and hopefully you will get what you want.
AGENTCOZ (10-08-2014)
Old 10-06-2014, 07:49 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
Originally Posted by AGENTCOZ
Mrgold35,

I assume the bra is just clear film for the headlights? Sounds like it works, but aggravates me that Acura, or any car co. For that matter, would manufacture a vehicle that will not withstand a few years of sun. That's a material failure to me...
The 3M product is a clear UV product that works to limit damage from road debris and sun damage. Exact same stuff they put on the bumper, fender and side view windows. You will not even see it on your headlights when installed. My MDX has an odd shaped contour head lights instead of completely smooth like my TSX and RDX. The 3M film covers the forward facing lens of the lights; but, it does not cover a small upper part of the headlight that point toward the sky. This little part is already starting to show cloudy signs of UV damage; everything else is undamaged.
AGENTCOZ (10-08-2014)
Old 10-06-2014, 09:44 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Mrgold35,

In order to comply with FMVSS (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards) 108, headlighting units must be tested to be able to withstand two years of environmental damage without reducing light transmission. Get a copy of the standards and write to Acura.

A polish is insufficient. Headlighting units have UV blockers that are removed when the lens is polished. The haze will return quickly.

Polishing the lens and adding some sort of film will reduce future hazing but is a violation of the same standard - so it is a DIY fix but not a fix by Acura.

OP - Good luck and keep us posted
AGENTCOZ (10-08-2014)
Old 10-08-2014, 11:50 AM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I had this very same problem on my 10 ZDX about a year ago and i live in the cold northeast area. The first dealer buffed it out and the problem came back within 6 months. I approached them again and they opted to buff again but I declined. I demanded for brand new replacement and they gave me the same B.S that it's part of wear n tear environment. I decided to go to another dealer and they were nice enough to place brand new set for me. Prepare to put up a good fight for it though but it's worth it.

By the way, do not let them buff it off. There is a special powder coat on the lenses. Once it's buffed off, the problem will come right back
AGENTCOZ (10-08-2014)
Old 10-08-2014, 10:25 PM
Intermediate

Thanks guys! I sent a long-winded message to Acura Corporate, they responded immediately with an email and within 24 hours with a phone call. They are working with my dealer to rectify my issues and promised to be in touch by 10/10/14. I'll keep you guys posted. We did have a conversation about the California sun commonly doing this to cars. Being in Indiana, we generally do not see this until a car is 8-10 urs old! Also, my car was dealer owned from at least 2010-2012, so 2-3 years outside in Cali sun.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:21 PM
Intermediate

Angry Acura Certified Preowned Coverage Sucks!!!

So I finally resolved the headlight issue, with my local dealer offering to provide complimentary labor for buffing the headlights if I purchased the kit for $35, which I did, then applied Meguire's Headlight Protector, which keeps the fogging problem from returning.

Corporate Acura called and advised that they would not offer Goodwill Assistance because anything they can blame on the environment is not covered. I expressed my position that cars are operated in the environment and this car spent most of it's young life in the very same environment it was built in.

I strongly disagree with their position and want to inform everyone that Certified Preowned meets nothing when it comes to trying to have things covered under the so-called warranty. I say this because the also refused to cover the front fender underlining that was gaping on each side and looks bad. Again, their response was that it's caused by heat and not covered.
Old 10-30-2014, 04:12 PM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
I strongly disagree with their position and want to inform everyone that Certified Preowned meets nothing when it comes to trying to have things covered under the so-called warranty. I say this because the also refused to cover the front fender underlining that was gaping on each side and looks bad. Again, their response was that it's caused by heat and not covered.
Hmm...
I just had both front inner fender wells replaced under CPO warranty last week on my ZDX. I printed off theTSB, made an appointment, told them to take care of it. That evening everything was replaced and stiffeners added at no cost parts & labor.
Guess you need to find another Acura shop.
~S
AGENTCOZ (01-29-2015)
Old 11-07-2014, 03:25 PM
I Drive Like A Dick 8≈

Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts
If they aren't covering TSB's that's BS!

Fogging headlights though haha good luck. There's simply no way that Acura is going to replace a $600 headlight for something that happens to all cars over time.

Keep them polished and if it really bugs you, fork out the $1200 for new headlights.
#shuddaboughtnew
Old 11-14-2014, 11:31 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had the same issue with the 2010 Advance I purchased a few months ago. I have a Meguiar's kit (from Walmart) that works pretty well. It took about 20 min for me to do it myself (that's both headlights). I think its $10-12.

If they get really bad, the 3M kit is best one you'll get b/c its a 3 stage sanding kit. This kit is ~$20.

I have the 3M clear bra on my other car and it definitely saves the front end from rock chips and other wear.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:36 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the same problem on my 2010 ZDX the drivers side headlight was completely fogged up. Apparently the headlight is under a vacuum and if the seal breaks the heat causes that fogging damage. Luckily I was under warranty and it was all covered. They replaced the cover and maybe the housing. Without warranty it would be be very expensive.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:50 PM
Intermediate

Where do I find TSB?

I made the TSB argument but it seems that just because they acknowledge there's a problem by creating a TSB, does not mean it is warrantied! Go figure!
Old 01-31-2015, 06:19 AM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Where do I find TSB?

I made the TSB argument but it seems that just because they acknowledge there's a problem by creating a TSB, does not mean it is warrantied! Go figure!
https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/logon.asp