4 Seasons Update

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 02:23 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Post 4 Seasons Update

You can bet that if one of us had purchased the Acura ZDX for ourselves, it would now wear a custom license plate saying "BANG HEAD," because that's what everyone seems to do getting in and out of our refrigerator-white Acura.

The logbook is growing like a bad mold, filled with nonstop complaints about the ZDX's space utilization and design. Editor-in-chief Jean Jennings: "I concur with all the comments about the high load floor, low roof, limited cargo capacity. Why? What? Who? I don't for a minute buy the marketing spiel about empty-nesters. I could not see anything behind me, left or right due to C-pillar, low roof, big head rests, et cetera."

Then again, a few staffers find Acura's, ahem, polarizing corporate grille to be less, ahem, polarizing here. And almost every logbook entry includes praise for the willing V-6 and sedan-like handling. A few have also commented on the ZDX's ability to make long-distance road trips seem shorter than they are.

The limited cargo space, however, means you won't be taking 4 people on any long trip. Assistant web producer Steve Diehlman: "Cargo capacity is rated at 27.5 cubic feet, but if you preserve some ability to see out of the already difficult-to-use rear window, plan on packing about half that. I crammed the ZDX with 3 duffle bags and 2 small strollers and barely had enough room to close the rear lift gate, much less see anything out back. I can't imagine driving without the blind spot monitoring system our ZDX is outfitted with."

Evan McCausland asks: "Why couldn't you just spring for an all-wheel-drive RL sedan instead?"

That's a good question -- answered by Jeff Jablansky, who is "definitely a fan of the styling. Whereas the BMW X6 is chunky and cumbersome-looking, the sharper, crisper lines of the ZDX are a welcome change." It seems that Jeff is in the minority, though, since, BMW has sold 2785 X6s while Acura has managed to move only 1399 ZDXs.

And even combined, they don't come near the Infiniti FX, which has sold 5008 units. That SUV, the original utility-compromised design, might have started a trend, but it seems it might have also found the limit.

Maybe the ZDX will win us over with its reliability and its low running costs. It's off to a good start on that front: The first service visit -- consisting of a tire rotation, oil change, hinge lube, and brake inspection -- was done for a very reasonable $58.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:48 PM
Off roading in his

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm ok with the space utilization - I even took it to Ikea, which I couldn't do with my TL-S (had to take my mom's MDX).
Old 08-09-2010, 08:16 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm fine with the space as well. All my kids have grown and left the nest, If I wanted to lug around a lot of stuff, I would have bought the soccer-mom MDX. I have the ZDX outfitted with the trailer hitch and it perfectly meets my needs while doing so in comfort and class. It seems the ones who are complaining should be driving the MDX...
Old 08-10-2010, 09:16 AM
Racer X

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I would agree that the cargo space is somewhat limited if you want to be able to see out of the rear window; however, I have found the space to be more than adequate for my needs. The several cubby spaces in the floor and sides of the cargo compartment are definitely useful.

My prior car was a 2006 RL. Before I switched, I was concerned that I would miss the features of the RL . . .the full rear seat and rear doors. The RL is a great sedan, but the ZDX is a great replacement.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:48 PM
cto
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i really like the ZDX interior
Old 09-10-2010, 04:02 PM
2010 ZDX Tech Black/Ebony

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If one considers the ZDX as a high end coupe, like a Porsche, and not a utilitarian vehicle, like the MDX, then all this whining from the automobile press might stop. When has anyone read about a Porsche being easy to get into, able to store strollers and golf clubs and lots of bags, having great rear view vision, etc. etc. etc. I love my ZDX for what it is, not for what it isn't. The automobile press should wake up.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:11 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm ok with the space as well... I usually drive to work alone during weekdays and the trunk easily fits 2 golf bags without any changes to seating... if my brother joins myself and my Dad, I put one of the rear seats down and put his golf bag in lengthwise.

As for visibility, I haven't had an issue with blind spot. If you fix the side view mirrors like you would on a coupe or low slung sports car (i.e. mirrors show the fenders and outward - not necessarily covering the view of the side of the car) then you have all the visibility you need... the rear fenders are the cars widest point rearward anyway... I don't have the blind spot monitoring and haven't had any issues. The rear-view camera is helpful backing out of and into spaces so I would say, tech package is the minimum way to go.

I'm very happy with my ZDX and couldn't ask for more - for what I use it and need it for... these guys just need to realize what it was made for and evaluate it as such... not as a family-truckster, not as a family sedan road-tripper... also, those folks don't own the vehicle so are not used to it... I have had no one hit their head getting in the back because I WARN THEM because I am used to the vehicle... just my two cents
Old 09-12-2010, 04:53 PM
Safety Car

Post Update Again

2010 Acura ZDX
Months in fleet: 4
Current miles: 11,835

Our 2010 Acura ZDX continues its year-long moon-rover mission to find out if its polarizing style can be overcome with fabulous driving dynamics -- or utility. This month's logbook comments focus almost exclusively on its utility.

Associate web editor Jeff Jablansky was happy that someone folded the rear seats, giving the driver (slightly) better rearward visibility, but what most impressed him was the center console. "This might be the most functional center stack/console ever. Compartments in all the right places for cups, keys, a handy Blackberry slot by the driver's right knee, and a power outlet exactly where it needs to be. For what it's worth, I now deem the ZDX a functional driver's car."

Deputy Editor Joe DeMatio agreed, praising "all the nooks and bins for stashing stuff. Even the interior driver's door handle provides a cavity in which to stash a cell phone. And the little retracting lid for the 2nd cupholder, integrated into the center console bin lid, is a nice touch. As is the shallow tray that resides at the top of the bin. These all might sound like minor concerns, but I thought fondly of these features shortly after, when I got into a BMW 7-series and struggled to find secure places for my two cell phones, my sunglasses, and other stuff I like to keep at hand when I'm driving."

Joe also stashed 5 adults into the ZDX, and didn't hear a single complaint from any of the guys. How so? Either it was because 2 of them were "skinny as eels" or he drowned them out with the ZDX's great stereo.

While on the subject of utility, senior web editor Phil Floraday and a couple other members of the staff took the ZDX off-roading -- yes, you read right, off-roading. He reports: "I was blown away by the ZDX's prowess on the obstacles we tackled during our quick run to St. Helen ORV route. Visibility is horrible, there's no low range, and it can be incredibly difficult to get in and out of the vehicle on the trail, but the ZDX is capable of far more than any sane owner would actually attempt to do with it. At least now we know there is some capability baked into this rather compromised utility vehicle."

Compromised, yes, but it seems our staff has gotten used to the ZDX's shape -- and is now discovering this Acura's surprising utility.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:06 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow!

Must be the rescue vehicle behind it...doubt if it got past that quagmire...
Old 09-14-2010, 12:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by webhead
I would agree that the cargo space is somewhat limited if you want to be able to see out of the rear window; however, I have found the space to be more than adequate for my needs. The several cubby spaces in the floor and sides of the cargo compartment are definitely useful.

My prior car was a 2006 RL. Before I switched, I was concerned that I would miss the features of the RL . . .the full rear seat and rear doors. The RL is a great sedan, but the ZDX is a great replacement.
I am surprised that nobody has asked for a camera for rear view when fully loaded? Innovation that Acura should jump on.
Regarding the RL: Don't you miss not having to get your fob out of your pocket?
Old 09-14-2010, 01:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
The RL doesn't use a key fob, either. I think it was the first Acura to have keyless entry and ignition.

As far as why someone would get a ZDX over an RL, I have had a 2005 RL for 5 years. I see the ZDX as essentially an RL hatchback that is higher off the ground. If I ever get a ZDX, it will be because the ZDX has fold-down rear seats that the RL doesn't have, plus the hatchback gives the ZDX more room than the RL. Finally, the ZDX has a unique look while the RL looks a little generic.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:33 AM
Honda Fanboy

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by oldguytsxer
Must be the rescue vehicle behind it...doubt if it got past that quagmire...
According to the article:
"I was blown away by the ZDX's prowess on the obstacles we tackled during our quick run to St. Helen ORV route. Visibility is horrible, there's no low range, and it can be incredibly difficult to get in and out of the vehicle on the trail, but the ZDX is capable of far more than any sane owner would actually attempt to do with it. At least now we know there is some capability baked into this rather compromised utility vehicle."
I'm sure the article would have mentioned if it didn't make it.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:05 PM
Safety Car

Arrow Update

Crossovers have become so commonplace as suburban accessories these days that it's easy to forget that they do have off-road capabilities. Or should. With that in mind, we gave our 4 Seasons Acura ZDX, Audi Q5, and Subaru Outback a break from their grocery runs and slung them through an off-road-vehicle route in northern Michigan. Our intent was not to conduct a torture test in which the winner would be the one that didn't need to be winched out, but rather to have an all-wheel-drive adventure that any crossover owner should be able to make without risking life and tailpipe. That said, we weren't sure at the outset of our journey if all three vehicles-on stock tires inflated to normal pressures-would come through with fenders and dignity intact.

The ride started simply enough, with a slow climb up a narrow trail. Senior web editor Phil Floraday, the off-road expert of the group, wryly advised us to use "as little power as possible but as much as is necessary." Easier said than done, especially in the Outback, which has a difficult-to-modulate throttle.

The 1st true challenge arrived about 15 minutes in, when the 3 crossovers met a murky puddle. After Floraday deemed it fordable, the 3 vehicles waded through 1 by 1. No problem for the Q5, which kept its mouth above the water. The Outback wasn't quite as comfortable. At the deepest point, water splashed up onto its hood, and the boxer engine sputtered briefly before the car chugged its way out of the muck. Clearly unhappy, the Subie belched some vile-smelling steam through its grille and flicked on a check-engine light that we can only assume means, "Don't drive me through any more deep puddles, you idiot." It was the low-slung Acura, though, that made us the most nervous. Enough water sloshed into its engine bay to momentarily cut power. It fought through and emerged with no assistance, but the air-conditioning blew hot air for the rest of the day.

The ZDX would regain a measure of confidence during our next obstacle-deep sand. Blessed with sophisticated torque-vectoring all-wheel drive and defeatable traction control, it practically danced through the soft terrain, kicking up a rooster tail of sand in its wake. After the sand was churned and loosened, the Q5 and the Outback had more trouble, mostly because the electronic nannies insisted on intervening even when we tried to disable them, cutting momentum and the wheel spin needed to keep the treads clean.

Our final hurdle was the most threatening: a steep slope covered in the same deep, soft sand and pitted with ruts and drop-offs large enough to thoroughly trap any of the three vehicles. We were growing weary of the squealing pebble caught under its front brake caliper, but the Q5 was still going strong, making it up the hill on the 1st try. The Subaru seemed to be doing fine as well until a slight steering error by our least experienced off-roader-me-sent it into 1 of the drop-offs. (Note: when your spotters cry, "No! No! Stop!" heed their advice.) With some careful reversing and a push from road test coordinator Mike Ofiara, the Outback was freed. A 2nd assault-with a new driver-made the route look easy. The ZDX made it up on its 1st attempt, but after we reran the climb and marred the trail, the Acura struggled the most. The heaviest of the group at nearly 4,500 pounds -- about a half ton more than the Outback -- it needed a running start and a firm foot on the throttle to conquer the sandy step at the top.

All of this may sound excessive, but our trio of crossovers did everything we asked of them, and none required more than a thorough cleaning before reporting back for daily duty (the Q5's pebble popped out, the Outback's check-engine light cleared, and the Acura's air-conditioning returned, all on their own accord). We also have greater appreciation for how and why these vehicles differ from more carlike offerings. We better understand why someone might pick a high-riding Q5 over an A4 Avant. The Subaru's soft ride, a constant complaint among editors, was a godsend for the way it damped the constant crashing of the rough trail. And the Acura...well, it still doesn't make all that much sense to us, but it performed bravely for being so clearly out of its element. It also might look a bit better when covered in mud. Most important, we can now confirm that any one of these vehicles is capable of soft-road heroics with no modifications -- but do try to stay out of deep puddles.
Techtonics: All-Wheel Drive

Acura ZDX
Acura uses 2 clutches in the rear differential to manage the front-to-rear torque bias. Each clutch, controlled by an electromagnetic coil, is responsible for sending torque to 1 of the rear wheels. With an electronically controlled system, the vehicle has to detect slip and actuate the clutches before torque is rerouted. It's a slower response than Audi's purely mechanical system, but with modern sensors and control systems, you won't exactly catch the Acura napping. Plus, the ZDX can vary torque between the left and right rear wheels better than any other vehicle here.

Audi Q5
Audi's Quattro all-wheel drive is based on a torque-sensing center differential, with the bias controlled by 2 sets of planetary gears and several friction discs. The system's weakness is the open differentials on the front and rear axles. To prevent the Q5 from spinning its wheels helplessly, Audi doesn't allow stability control to be switched off. Instead, an "off-road" mode that lowers the intervention threshold is engaged. To keep the Q5 moving forward if a wheel has no grip, the system applies the brake on that wheel to direct torque to the opposite side.

Subaru Outback
So-called Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive isn't necessarily symmetrical, as Subaru now has 4 all-wheel-drive systems, and only 1 has a base condition with a 50/50 split. Our Outback's arrangement typically sends 55% of torque to the rear wheels. Torque is divvied up by a compound planetary gearset; when slip is detected, an electronically controlled clutch increases or reduces the friction between the 2 ring gears to change the front-to-rear distribution. A viscous limited-slip rear differential reacts to differences in wheel speed. The front axle uses an open differential. - Eric Tingwall

THE SPECS

Acura ZDX SH-AWD
Price: $56,855
Engine: 3.7L V-6, 300 hp, 270 lb-ft
Ground clearance: 7.9 in
Wheelbase: 108.3 in
Approach: 20°
Departure: 23°
Breakover: 17°
Normal torque split, f/r: 60/40%
Max torque split, f/r: 90/10 to 30/70%

Audi Q5
Price: $45,225
Engine: 3.2L V-6, 270 hp, 243 lb-ft
Ground clearance: 7.9 in
Wheelbase: 110.5 in
Approach: 25°
Departure: 25°
Breakover: 18°
Normal torque split, f/r: 40/60%
Max torque split, f/r: 65/35 to 15/85%

Subaru Outback 3.6R
Price: $35,541
Engine: 3.6L flat-6, 256 hp, 247 lb-ft
Ground clearance: 8.7 in
Wheelbase: 107.9 in
Approach: 19°
Departure: 22°
Breakover: 20°
Normal torque split, f/r: 45/55%
Max torque split, f/r: n/a

Old 11-08-2010, 08:08 PM
Safety Car

Arrow Update

CURRENT MILES: 16,352
MONTHS IN SERVICE: 6
Halfway through our year-long test of the ZDX, we finally looked in the rearview mirror. Managing Editor Amy Skogstrom sees the similarity between the Honda CR-Z and ZDX, and that they share "a big horizontal bar that runs right through the middle of the rear windows, meaning that rearward visibility is compromised -- not dangerously, but highly annoying nevertheless."

What about the view when looking forward? "I find the interior design to be entirely too busy for my taste," Skogstrom says. "The space in front of the front passenger has 4 layers of materials on it -- talk about design overkill. And the satellite radio interface continues to annoy me. Too many buttons, too many menus to toggle through to change stations, and just too confusing."

Senior web editor Phil Floraday agrees with others who have opined that the ZDX is comfortable on 4- or 5-hour road trips, but he still can't understand "why anyone would willingly choose this body style. Is an MDX going to be less comfortable or worse-handling on the Interstate? If you're looking for better handling, why not a TSX wagon? If you don't need a rear seat for adults, why not get a legitimate coupe? Why? Why? Why?"

To which west coast editor Jason Cammisa responded, "maybe just to annoy you, Phil?" Cammisa praised the thick-rimmed steering wheel, but despised the active cruise control, whose active feature he could not figure out how to turn off -- score another demerit point for the ZDX's overly complex interface. And the combination of long gearing (2250 rpm at 80 mph) and a V-6 that's relatively soft on the low end mean lots of throttle and lots of downshifts on the highway -- the exact opposite, says Cammisa, of what a grand touring coupe should feel like.

Halfway through our year with the ZDX, it's becoming clear that this vehicle is a particular blend of compromises that some of us just don't get.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:15 AM
Safety Car

Lightbulb December

CURRENT MILES: 18,952
MONTHS IN SERVICE: 8
The Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60 winter tires we installed last month came just in time for Michigan’s white season -- and the logbook is unanimous: they’re great. Combined with Acura’s SH-AWD system, Copy editor Rusty Blackwell called the ZDX “a snowmobile,” adding, “The AWD system’s rear torque bias even allows some tail slides if you’re feeling playful.”

Road test coordinator Mike Ofiara praised the ZDX for being “1 of the few cars that made it up my unplowed uphill driveway during the latest blast of winter weather when I was too lazy to shovel. The SH-AWD system and the Blizzaks are quite the awesome duo.” Born in late October, it seems Ofiara is more of a Lazy Libra than a Snow-plowing Scorpio.

The ZDX’s horoscope, however, evidently called for some bodily abuse. Blackwell lamented that, due to the small rear door openings, he accidentally, and repeatedly, banged the heads and car seats of his 2 tots into the doorframe, as he lifted them into and out of the car over a couple of weeks. At least the dual sunroofs provide plenty of daylight, to lift the kids’ spirits as they nurse their bruises.

Web editor Phil Floraday had a look back there and was surprised by the premature wear in the ZDX’s back seat. “It looks like the cushion behind the driver is rather worn and the leather is getting wrinkly after fewer than 20,000 miles. I have to imagine most of those miles didn’t have a passenger in the rear seat.” We’d previously noted that some of the interior plastics are wearing. The ZDX’s luxurious interior materials have been highly praised, but is durability their Achilles heel? Stay tuned.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:10 AM
Safety Car

Post March 2011

CURRENT MILES: 26,489
MONTHS IN FLEET: 11

We’ve spent 11 months with our ZDX and, as controversial as this car is, no one has had any complaints about the way this Acura drives.

Senior Web editor Phil Floraday says it’s a “supremely comfortable cruiser.” Associate editor Eric Tingwall praised the navigation system, noting that while “the graphics look a bit dated, they do a brilliant job at showing smaller side streets and street names.”

Assistant editor David Zenlea is even warming slightly to the ZDX’s styling, even though he doesn’t seem to want to admit it. “I’d hesitate to say the ZDX’s styling has grown on me, but I will admit to appreciating a few of its nicer design elements as time passes. The roofline, for instance, is elegantly curved both length- and width-wise, which balances nicely with the chiseled lower half of the vehicle. The real design flaw in the ZDX is its size. I can readily imagine Acura stylists looking at a scale model of the vehicle and thinking they had quite a hit on their hands. Had it been made into small hatchback or even a large fastback in the vein of the new Audi A7, it might have looked ‘just right.’”

The praise for the ZDX never lasts long before we start complaining about its packaging. Floraday added that “The execution of the ZDX would be perfect if only it were a little more useful for moving people and stuff.”

And then Tingwall dropped the bomb: “The ZDX is intriguing and unique, but can you blame anybody for not buying one?”

As it turns out, at least 1 people have -- since both Copy editor Rusty Blackwell and West Coast editor Jason Cammisa finally spotted ZDXs on the streets, owned by real people. Of course, it’s actually more than 2. For the record, Acura moved 3,259 ZDXs in America in 2010– although BMW sold almost twice as many X6s in the same year.

And the complaints about the quick-wearing interior continue to fill the logbook. Floraday again: “As others have said in the past few months, the soft leather interior doesn’t seem to be holding up as well as I’d expect for a $56,800 vehicle. I’d guess the ZDX had about 45,000 miles on it based on the wear on the driver’s seat, not the 25,000 miles the odometer says. Perhaps the acrobatics of getting in and out of the vehicle make the leather age at a rate approaching dog years.“

At least the rest of the Acura is holding up well, as it’s experienced no mechanical problems. Road test coordinator Mike Ofiara took it into the dealer for the most expensive service yet, but “after 26,000 miles in 11 months, $460 is not a bad price to pay to keep this reliable crossover in tip-top shape.”

Old 03-30-2011, 08:59 AM
US Navy Seabees

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts
I guess Acura still doesn't have their act together when it comes to leather seating. A shame
Old 03-30-2011, 12:14 PM
Off roading in his

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
My leather looks worn and it even started to slightly rip in one place - and my car has only 6k miles.

When I brought it to the dealer's attention a few months ago, I was told that the leather is very soft, so its more susceptible to premature wear - I told him thats a BS excuse since its a $50k car.

I love the car, but the leather issue is starting to bother me.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:35 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ZhenyaF
My leather looks worn and it even started to slightly rip in one place - and my car has only 6k miles.

When I brought it to the dealer's attention a few months ago, I was told that the leather is very soft, so its more susceptible to premature wear - I told him thats a BS excuse since its a $50k car.

I love the car, but the leather issue is starting to bother me.
I am driving a TL with the same leather and it's very disappointing. I'm already afraid of leather seats in general due to the fact that they don't last long, but to have mines start looking worn at 9k miles?????

Initially, I was hellbent on getting another acura. You know, being a good value n all, but i may look elsewhere. Yea other brands may not be as reliable, but at least their seats, on which you will sit in everyday, last longer. For comparison, my friends with lexus (even softer leather than acura), and audis still don't have problems with their leather.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 248 Likes on 229 Posts
I would be rather disappointed too but with that low a mileage and year it should be fixed or replaced under warranty. I have 17,000 km's on ours and it still looks like new as it should but if it did happen you can be assured I would be going after them to have it fixed under warranty. That is not normal wear tear at that low a mileage and time frame.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:01 PM
Drifting

Received 563 Likes on 363 Posts
I wonder if the ZDX has a different grade/type of leather than the TL?

My TL has almost 9K miles and the leather looks almost new.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:47 PM
US Navy Seabees

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD
I wonder if the ZDX has a different grade/type of leather than the TL?

My TL has almost 9K miles and the leather looks almost new.
9 thousand miles? So its what, 5 months old? Give it another year and let us know...you'll see.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:01 PM
I love me some Curry...!

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by pedalermike
I'm fine with the space as well. All my kids have grown and left the nest, If I wanted to lug around a lot of stuff, I would have bought the soccer-mom MDX. I have the ZDX outfitted with the trailer hitch and it perfectly meets my needs while doing so in comfort and class. It seems the ones who are complaining should be driving the MDX...

Damn I drive a MDX now and my 4 yr old son just started to play soccer... I miss my TL.....
Old 04-04-2011, 02:38 PM
Honda Fanboy

Originally Posted by jasonwdp10
I am driving a TL with the same leather and it's very disappointing. I'm already afraid of leather seats in general due to the fact that they don't last long, but to have mines start looking worn at 9k miles?????

Initially, I was hellbent on getting another acura. You know, being a good value n all, but i may look elsewhere. Yea other brands may not be as reliable, but at least their seats, on which you will sit in everyday, last longer. For comparison, my friends with lexus (even softer leather than acura), and audis still don't have problems with their leather.
That's kind of surprising considering the TL-Tech and Audi both use the same exact leather (Milano Leather).
Old 04-04-2011, 04:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by VTEC Racer
That's kind of surprising considering the TL-Tech and Audi both use the same exact leather (Milano Leather).
Really? My GFs A5's leather feels nothing like my TLs leather. It's much stiffer and less soft. There's no way it can be the same leather, unless you're assuming that all audis automatically have the Milano leather package...
Old 04-04-2011, 08:07 PM
Drifting

Received 563 Likes on 363 Posts
Originally Posted by Ruby
9 thousand miles? So its what, 5 months old? Give it another year and let us know...you'll see.
14 months old. Driven daily, but relatively short commute.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:15 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
I can't figure out why the auto writers are trying to fit the round ZDX into a square hole. The ZDX is works best with a certain type of lifestyle that does not include jumping over sand dunes or hauling a camping trailer for a week long camping trip for a family of 4. I know they were trying to get a taste of different AWD systems; but, the Audi and Acura would not see those conditions they tested from most of the owners (nice to know you can do it).

They needed to compare the BMW X6 xDrive35i, Acura ZDX, Infiniti FX35 AWD and maybe the MB R-class R350 4matic. That would be a better article worth reading.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:56 PM
Honda Fanboy

Really? My GFs A5's leather feels nothing like my TLs leather. It's much stiffer and less soft. There's no way it can be the same leather, unless you're assuming that all audis automatically have the Milano leather package...
Milano leather is an optional upgrade on the A5. If you're saying that her leather is stiffer and less soft, then she probably has the standard leather.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by VTEC Racer
Milano leather is an optional upgrade on the A5. If you're saying that her leather is stiffer and less soft, then she probably has the standard leather.
Umm.. thanks for correcting yourself for me?
Old 04-06-2011, 03:43 AM
Honda Fanboy

Umm.. thanks for correcting yourself for me?
You're welcome?
Old 08-03-2011, 09:16 AM
Safety Car

Post WrapUp

When Acura unveiled the ZDX prototype at the New York auto show in 2009, the company glowingly described it as a type of vehicle never before seen, something completely unique in the marketplace.

Our 1st drive of the ZDX a few months later revealed Acura's newest creation to be highly luxurious and even quite good to drive. But we still wondered about its place in the automotive cosmos. Clearly, we would require more time with the ZDX if we were going to get our heads around it. So, we ordered 1 for a 4 Seasons test.

The ZDX does follow convention (Acura convention, at least) in its model hierarchy. There are 3 trim levels: base, Technology, and Advance. Prices range from the mid-$40,000s to the mid-$50,000s, and they're about $4000 higher than those of an equivalent MDX, which is similar in size but is more spacious and has more traditional styling.

The ZDX Advance is Acura's most expensive offering. As you'd expect, it's fully loaded, with a glass roof, heated and cooled front seats, navigation with traffic and weather updates, a rearview camera, a premium sound system, adaptive cruise control, collision-mitigation braking, a blind-spot warning system, the Integrated Dynamic System (which varies suspension firmness and power-steering assist), and Milano leather. That's the version we chose, as the ZDX is supposed to be all about personal indulgence.

The ZDX interior certainly is indulgent. The suedelike headliner, loop-pile carpet, and ultrasoft, natural-grain leather are quite rich-looking. Unfortunately, the leather did not prove to be very durable. It began to show wear, both on the driver's seat and on the back seats, before the odometer reached 20,000 miles. Apparently, there's a reason most manufacturers don't use such soft hides.

The ZDX's materials and design may be unusual, but its interior is highly usable. "This might be the most functional center stack/console ever," said associate web editor Donny Nordlicht. "There are compartments in all the right places for cups and keys, a handy BlackBerry slot by the driver's right knee, and a power outlet exactly where it needs to be."

The navigation system, Bluetooth, and stereo also came in for praise. "The navigation interface looks rather tired compared with some of today's sharpest displays," said senior web editor Phil Floraday, "but the system actually chooses the best routes and can take traffic into account, which makes up for the dated graphics." We also loved the joystick operation (rather than a touch screen) and the high level of detail showing the names of smaller streets. The Bluetooth also worked very well, and the Panasonic ELS audio system was "nothing short of superb" -- although you need to use DVD audio discs to get the full benefit.

We enjoyed the stereo and even the navigation system, but the most vital electronics were probably the backup camera and the blind-spot warning system. Said editor-in-chief Jean Jennings: "As much as I hated the annoying warning beep every time I signaled to change lanes when a car was approaching in my blind spot (which is the entire rear of the car), I didn't turn off the system because I could not see anything behind me, due to the swooping C-pillars, the low roof, and the big headrests." Given the mail-slot rear window, the backup camera -- which, helpfully, offers a choice of top-down and wide views as well as the conventional straight-back perspective -- is another essential. Even when you're looking straight ahead, the view out of the ZDX is not great because of its shallow windshield and low-mounted rearview mirror.

The ZDX's design makes seeing out difficult, but it makes getting in and out even more so. Associate web editor Evan McCausland explains: "I have to throw my legs up and over a tall sill while simultaneously ducking to avoid bonking my head on the roof." That's to get into the driver's seat -- rear-seat access is far worse. "We're small people," notes assistant editor David Zenlea, "but that didn't prevent my dad (5'8") and my sister (5'1", in heels) from banging their heads when climbing into the back seat."

Once inside, you find a low seating position and scant headroom, even in front. As to the seats' comfort, we defer to associate editor Eric Tingwall -- he characterized them as "supportive without being hard and uncomfortable" after a 38-hour round-trip to Florida for the 12 Hours of Sebring race.

Part of the idea of the ZDX seems to be that rear-seat access and accommodations aren't that important, because the car will be used principally as a 2-person conveyance. What this body style offers over a conventional coupe (you know: a passenger car with 2 doors) is the versatility of additional luggage space, but the fastback roofline and inward-sloping sides impinge on a cargo hold whose load floor is quite high. There is, however, a handy lidded bin in the cargo floor that is particularly useful for groceries and also provides the only covered stowage. If you want a cover for the main cargo area, that's a $352 dealer accessory.

As compromised as the ZDX's packaging is, it doesn't make this Acura any less capable over the road. The 3.7-liter V-6 revs freely, and it smoothly spins out 300 hp. "This lively engine sounds good when you leg the throttle," said deputy editor Joe DeMatio. We averaged 20 mpg (on premium fuel) over 26,962 miles, slightly better than the EPA combined estimate of 19 mpg. The large tank made for a long spell between fill-ups. Curiously, although it's mechanically identical to the Acura MDX, the ZDX can tow only 1500 pounds, whereas the MDX is rated to pull 5000 pounds. With such a low limit, we didn't bother installing a hitch.

If towing capacity is a non sequitur for the ZDX, then off-road ability is even more irrelevant -- but we tested it anyway. Off-road enthusiast Floraday organized an excursion to some dirt trails in upper Michigan. "I was blown away by the ZDX's prowess on the obstacles we tackled," he reported. "This car is capable of far more than any sane owner would actually attempt with it." In more real-world tasks, like dealing with deep snow and ice, the ZDX's standard all-wheel-drive system (aided by a set of Bridgestone Blizzaks) was virtually unstoppable.

The chassis also lived up to its promise to provide sport-coupe handling -- despite the ZDX's height and considerable weight (4465 pounds). And it did so while still offering ride quality that most drivers praised. The top-spec ZDX's active dampers help here; they're part of Acura's IDS feature, which provides sport and comfort settings for the suspension and the steering. Everyone agreed that "the suspension loves to carve tight corners," and the steering was described as "incredibly communicative and surprisingly quick."

But McCausland was 1 who questioned whether the ZDX was really any better in this department than Acura's own MDX, which he asserted "handles just as well yet still offers the practicality of a large cargo hold, a comfortable rear bench, and a 3rd row of seats."

Ah, the questions of packaging and purpose. With the ZDX, they're never far away.

"If nothing else, Honda engineers have proven that they're as capable as their compatriots at BMW (with the X6) and Nissan (with the Infiniti FX) when it comes to making a big, silly vehicle drive like a sporty coupe," said Zenlea. "Of course, that brings up the most salient questions with this vehicle: Why isn't it a sporty coupe? What reason was there to raise the ride height on a vehicle that will never go off-road? Why employ a heavy crossover platform for a vehicle that can barely tow anything? Who needs rear doors to access back seats that are basically useless for most adults?"

Even after a year, we don't have good answers to these questions. The ZDX is a vehicle with some impressive capabilities but many frustrating limitations. Acura says it "defies categorization." We'd say it defies explanation.

2010 Acura ZDX

Rating 3.5 stars out of 5

Overview
Body Style: 4-door crossover
Accommodation: 5-passenger
Construction: Steel unibody

Powertrain
Engine: SOHC 24-valve V-6
Displacement: 3.7 liters (224 cubic inches)
Power: 300 hp @ 6300 rpm
Torque: 270 lb-ft @ 4500 rpm
Transmission: 6-speed automatic
Drive: 4-wheel

Chassis
Steering: Electrohydraulically assisted
Lock-to-lock: 3.4 turns
Turning Circle: 38.4 ft
Suspension, Front: Strut type; coil springs
Suspension, Rear: Multi-link; coil springs
Brakes F/R: Vented disc/disc; ABS
Tires: Michelin Latitiude Tour HP
Tire Size: 255/50HR-19

Measurements
Headroom F/R: 38.0/35.3 in
Legroom F/R: 42.6/31.1 in
Shoulder Room F/R: 59.7/55.4 in
Hip Room F/R: 57.3/55.3 in
L x W x H: 192.4 x 78.5 x 62.8 in
Wheelbase: 108.3 in
Track F/R: 67.7/67.7 in
Weight: 4465 lb
Weight Dist. F/R: 57.9/42.1%
Cargo Capacity: 26.3/55.8 cu ft (rear seats up/down)
Fuel Capacity: 21.0 gal
Est. Range: 400 miles
Fuel Grade: 91 octane

Our Test Results
0-60 mph: 7.2 sec
0-100 mph: 19.5 sec
1/4-mile: 15.5 sec @ 92 mph
30-70 mph Passing: 7.8 sec
Peak Acceleration: 0.51 g
Speed in Gears: 1) 36; 2) 64; 3) 91; 4) 127; 5) 127; 6) 120 mph
Cornering L/R: 0.90/0.87 g
70-0 mph Braking: 182 ft
Peak Braking: 0.98 g

Prices & Equipment
Base price
$56,855
Price as tested
$56,855
Trade-in value
$36,750

Standard Equipment
ABS; traction and stability control; all-wheel drive; dual-zone automatic climate control; adaptive cruise control; power windows, door locks, liftgate, and heated side mirrors; power heated and cooled seats; premium leather upholstery; Bluetooth; navigation system with 15-gigabyte hard drive; panoramic glass roof; bixenon headlights; foglights; premium 10-speaker stereo with auxiliary input and USB port; rearview camera; blind-spot warning system; collision mitigation braking system; front, side, and side curtain air bags

Our options
None
*Estimate based on information from intellichoice.com

Running Cost
Mileage 26,962
Warranty
4-yr/50,000-mile
Bumper-to-bumper
6-yr/70,000-mile powertrain
4-yr/50,000-mile
Roadside assistance
5-yr/unlimited-mile corrosion

Scheduled Maintenance
8290 mi: $58.44
16,352 mi: $44.34
26,055 mi: $460.96

Warranty Repairs
16,431 mi: Power tailgate motor replaced

Recalls
None

Out-of-pocket
16,894 mi: Purchase, mount, and balance four Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60 winter tires, $1119.69
25,890 mi: Remount stock Michelin Latitude Tour HP all-season tires, $144.98

Fuel consumption
EPA city/hwy/combined 16/23/19 mpg
Observed 20 mpg

Cost per mile
(Fuel, service, winter tires) $0.23 ($0.98 including depreciation)

Old 08-03-2011, 06:58 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts
"The ZDX is a vehicle with some impressive capabilities but many frustrating limitations. Acura says it "defies categorization." We'd say it defies explanation."

I like that it has frustrating limitations. These limitations make the ZDX that much more bold to own and drive.

I am happy that Acura stepped outside the box and created this car. I am a 32 yr old male with no kids and would feel like a soccer mom driving a SUV or an old man driving a RL or like vehicle. I had a TL but it wasn’t bold or luxurious enough and I didn’t feel special driving it. The ZDX is a perfect combination of everything for me and with the limitations for the masses it’s only a benefit for me making this car more exclusive. This car embodies my personality and me.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:22 PM
Pro

Received 92 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by HAWAII-TSX
"The ZDX is a vehicle with some impressive capabilities but many frustrating limitations. Acura says it "defies categorization." We'd say it defies explanation."

I like that it has frustrating limitations. These limitations make the ZDX that much more bold to own and drive.

I am happy that Acura stepped outside the box and created this car. I am a 32 yr old male with no kids and would feel like a soccer mom driving a SUV or an old man driving a RL or like vehicle. I had a TL but it wasn’t bold or luxurious enough and I didn’t feel special driving it. The ZDX is a perfect combination of everything for me and with the limitations for the masses it’s only a benefit for me making this car more exclusive. This car embodies my personality and me.
I totally agree with you on this one! Me being a single dude with no kids as well its a perfect mix of sporty and practical(for me) plus I hate driving cars that you see eveyday and this really shines in that department. If the ZDX was a women it would be a stuck up blonde bitch and im perfectly fine with that!
Old 08-03-2011, 08:46 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by mugen_kid
If the ZDX was a women it would be a stuck up blonde bitch and im perfectly fine with that!
They should have put that in the article.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:47 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 138 Likes on 80 Posts
I love that description as well! And let's face it, as much as guys might say they don't like stuck-up blonde bitches, they all turn their heads when one walks by and secretly wish that their girlfriend was as hot, confident, well-dressed, sexy, etc.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:18 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let's face it, one of the BEST things about having this car is that there arent too many on the road, and you know it looks good! It is a status symbol like anything else. If anyone claimed this, or any other SUV was so practical then the same could be said on why a minivan is better than an suv, and why the heck would they get a 'stupid' suv.