2011 ZDX Tech: loud wind noise at highway speed

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 09:42 AM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 ZDX Tech: loud wind noise at highway speed

While driving at the highway last night I heard a wind humming noise as if one of the windows is open but tried open n closed the windows but still the noise still exists... the faster I go ( noise starts showing between 70-80kph) the louder the noise can't barely hear my radio when its on.

Is bringing it to the dealer the best option?

Anyone has the same issue please share some of infos.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 164 Likes on 115 Posts
Yup. Lots of wind noise on the zdx. Might be because of the panoramic roof? If u notice there is a gap between the glass roof and the metal part. Other cars have rubber in between the two. Thought about having someone customize the rubber hoping the wind noise decreases... Right now my only remedy is to turn up the radio
Old 02-11-2014, 06:44 AM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Strange...I have a "new" 2013 I picked up 2 weeks ago, and it's like riding in a vault it's so quiet...only noise I ever hear is the POS OEM Michelins humming on certain types of pavement....but wind noise is not a factor for me. I would definitely take it in, especially if it's still under warranty.
The following users liked this post:
jhr3uva90 (02-11-2014)
Old 02-11-2014, 11:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Wow. Now I really need to take it to the dealer... is it still quiet even in high speeds?
Old 02-12-2014, 08:08 AM
Alpha Geek

Yup, so much so I keep expressing surprise, even quieter than my '06 RL was. I average ~80mph for the highway part of my commute, and I'm still shaking my head in amazement at how well the noise canceling works. I'll be when the OEM tires are replaced it'll be even better.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Maybe the 2010 or 2011 does not have noise cancelling?
Old 02-12-2014, 03:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
This makes me want to run out and buy a 2013 ZDX.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:57 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
jhr, not so fast. Search for my thread here on noise from roof. So much so I currently have an open case complaint with "National Center for Settlement Dispute" I had to file for failure of Acura to remedy the noise.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:08 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kidsdoc
jhr, not so fast. Search for my thread here on noise from roof. So much so I currently have an open case complaint with "National Center for Settlement Dispute" I had to file for failure of Acura to remedy the noise.
I got the same problem on my 10 zdx. Wonder if it's due to the rubber seal around the sun roof...
Old 03-24-2014, 02:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Brought mine to get checked and tech said its just normal wind noise. I wonder how it is with other brands that have panoramic roofs. I guess I just cant accept that my TL is more quiet than the zdx. For the ones with no noise issue, do you hear no wind noise at all coming from the roof?
Old 03-26-2014, 06:31 AM
Alpha Geek

No wind noise whatsoever...only outside noise I ever hear is the engine wen I take off from a light, or punch it to pass, and there's a certain spot on my commute that makes the POS OEM Michelins whine for about a mile or so. I blame the tires for that. Why Honda Acura uses Michelins for OEM has always baffled me. EXPENSIVE, horrible in the wet, and NOISEY. Since 1989 I've had 7 Acuras including the ZDX, all with Michelin OEMS, and when I finally switched them out I was amazed at the difference in road noise.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:14 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lumpulus
No wind noise whatsoever...only outside noise I ever hear is the engine wen I take off from a light, or punch it to pass, and there's a certain spot on my commute that makes the POS OEM Michelins whine for about a mile or so. I blame the tires for that. Why Honda Acura uses Michelins for OEM has always baffled me. EXPENSIVE, horrible in the wet, and NOISEY. Since 1989 I've had 7 Acuras including the ZDX, all with Michelin OEMS, and when I finally switched them out I was amazed at the difference in road noise.
What tires did / do you switch to?
Old 03-27-2014, 01:55 PM
Alpha Geek

Depended on the Cars....with the Integras, 3 of them, it was Dunlop SP

With the RSX/S , 2 of them, it was Dunlop again.

With the '06 RL it was General Exclaim, with the G/f's RDX, Kumho.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:53 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lumpulus
Depended on the Cars....with the Integras, 3 of them, it was Dunlop SP

With the RSX/S , 2 of them, it was Dunlop again.

With the '06 RL it was General Exclaim, with the G/f's RDX, Kumho.

What are you plans with the ZDX? Let me know. I'd like a quitter ride as well...
Old 03-29-2014, 06:36 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TimmyZhu
I got the same problem on my 10 zdx. Wonder if it's due to the rubber seal around the sun roof...
Timmy, I had 2 different kinds of noise (at least). One was more constant once it started but less audible that came from the mid-part just above my head. The other was louder and sounded like 2 hard surfaces hitting each other that came from the back and came only with bumps. That came from the back. I was told it was from Velcro not holding and other looser parts. They replaced the "roof assembly" (whatever that means) and it sounded to me like they used some buffers/seals or whatever else to dampen the noise. I've had it since for about 4 days and so far the cabin is solid quiet except for unfortunately one event. I'm hoping it was isolated. I hit a minor bump on the highway (normally wouldn't even register with another car) and I heard that loud bang in the back but it was brief and lasted only for the duration of the bump. I'm holding my breath and trying to not over-react hoping it was just a fluke.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:09 AM
Alpha Geek

Originally Posted by xqsmepotna
What are you plans with the ZDX? Let me know. I'd like a quitter ride as well...
No plans for the foreseeable future...car is still too new.(Just got it 1/25/14)
Old 04-06-2014, 09:46 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Timmy, I had 2 different kinds of noise (at least). One was more constant once it started but less audible that came from the mid-part just above my head. The other was louder and sounded like 2 hard surfaces hitting each other that came from the back and came only with bumps. That came from the back. I was told it was from Velcro not holding and other looser parts. They replaced the "roof assembly" (whatever that means) and it sounded to me like they used some buffers/seals or whatever else to dampen the noise. I've had it since for about 4 days and so far the cabin is solid quiet except for unfortunately one event. I'm hoping it was isolated. I hit a minor bump on the highway (normally wouldn't even register with another car) and I heard that loud bang in the back but it was brief and lasted only for the duration of the bump. I'm holding my breath and trying to not over-react hoping it was just a fluke.
Kidsdoc, mine still has the first problem even after I sent it into the dealership and they checked and said that was just wind noise. I don't have the 2nd problem but hopefully for your case, after the replacement, it was just a fluke...
Old 04-06-2014, 09:21 PM
Intermediate

If it was cold when you heard that loud bang.. more that likely that was from the pano roof. It doesn't like icy/cold conditions too much
Old 04-09-2014, 08:52 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by xqsmepotna
If it was cold when you heard that loud bang.. more that likely that was from the pano roof. It doesn't like icy/cold conditions too much
Timmy and xqsmepotna, so far so good. No problems yet but temperature has started to rise and we haven't any dips below 28 since the last fix. That loud bang I used to hear was almost exclusive to 20F temp or lower.