Integra Integra & RSX Discussion

Shift lock solenoid replacement..for the beginner?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 05:37 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shift lock solenoid replacement..for the beginner?

My baby is an 04 RSX and I can't seem to get her out of P and my brake lights don't work. I followed the DIY instructions thoughtfully provided on this site (thank you very much to person who posted it) to put in a new brake switch, but still no brake lights. I figure it's the solenoid.

I've done minor repairs before and I can do my own brakes...but I don't think I can do this repair. Or can I?
Old 09-11-2011, 08:52 PM
Acura Fanboy

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Since you replaced the brake switch already, check fuse #7 in the fuse box under the hood. This 15A fuse provides the 12V to pin #1 of the brake switch and powers the brake lights when the pedal is depressed and also goes to the ABS unit, ECU, Cruise Control, and Multiplex Control Unit (whatever that is). It is likely that one of these items activates the shift lock solenoid based on this signal.

Last edited by knavekid; 09-11-2011 at 08:55 PM. Reason: additional text.
The following 2 users liked this post by knavekid:
Katesune (09-12-2011), lilredbox (06-24-2015)
Old 09-13-2011, 12:07 AM
7th Gear

Thanks! I did remember to check the fuses and they were ok. I did switch out my old bulbs as well. I found some repair diagrams online and they ref a lot of electrical stuff. I think I'll probably have to suck it up and go to the mechanic. seriously though, thanks. I really love my baby girl and I feel bad that I don't know more to get the most out of her. So, yeah...thanks for the advice and keep it coming!
Old 09-13-2011, 10:01 AM
Acura Fanboy

Make sure that you have 12V going to pin 1 on the brake pedal switch connector. Use a voltmeter to check pin 1 with respect to ground (any metal point on the chassis).

If this has 12V on it, pushing the brake pedal should close the switch and provide this 12V to pin 2 which goes to the brake lights. You could use a paper clip to connect from pin 1 to pin 2 on the connector to bypass the switch. If there is 12V on pin 1 and you bypass the switch, the brake lights should illuminate.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:15 AM
7th Gear

Wow...crazy technical for me. I was talking to my dad and reading your post to him and he tells me "See! You need a voltmeter!" *sigh* (OK, here comes the girlie part) So, if I get shocked from doing something wrong, is it going to hurt a lot?

Sorry man, I'm a chick. I think about these things.

Back to business... I found a technical manual online that had a lot of "if this, then that" stuff. With the voltmeter, I should be able to follow along and find the problem?
Old 09-14-2011, 02:20 PM
Acura Fanboy

12V won't shock you. However, you will need to use caution if using a paper clip to short between pins on the connector. Be careful not to allow the paper clip to touch any metal parts of the car. This would short the 12V to ground, spark, and then blow the fuse under the hood.

There shouldn't be any risk if you use a voltmeter. Just make sure it is configured to measure volts (not amps).

Also, how did you check the fuse without a meter? You can't tell if it is blown by looking at it. Try replacing it with a new fuse and see if that fixes this problem.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:33 AM
7th Gear

Really? I thought you could tell when a fuse was busted by looking at it. Or...are we thinking about two different things?

I gotta ask, how do you guys know all of this stuff? I've learned a little from my dad, some from trial and error and some from chatty mechanics. It's amazing how much there is to learn.
Old 12-13-2013, 01:40 AM
10th Gear

just found this post by google "acura replace shift interlock solenoid", my 2000 Aucra TL met same trouble "can shift from P -> R and break lights don't work".

not sure after you replaced shift lock solenoid, everything got resolved?
Old 06-24-2015, 02:21 PM
7th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by knavekid
Since you replaced the brake switch already, check fuse #7 in the fuse box under the hood. This 15A fuse provides the 12V to pin #1 of the brake switch and powers the brake lights when the pedal is depressed and also goes to the ABS unit, ECU, Cruise Control, and Multiplex Control Unit (whatever that is). It is likely that one of these items activates the shift lock solenoid based on this signal.

Mad bumpage. I know this is back from the dead, but post # 2 saved me a lot of heartache. I pulled fuse # 7 to shut off the horn when my security alarm went off (locked my keys in the car...long story) and I don't have the keyless entry remote. Well I couldn't get the security alarm to reset so I left the fuse out in order to not hear the horn. I then couldn't shift out of park and my cruise control didn't work. Great! Two MORE problems. There is no way taking out the fuse could have caused the new issues i'm having now. I searched and came across the above post. Problem solved. I found out how to reset the security alarm and placed the fuse back. Basically I want to say, I love this forum. Thanks!
Old 01-23-2016, 03:23 PM
1st Gear

I have a 2005 acura MDX stuck in park with no brake lights and the vsa light is on dash. Auto zone gave me two codes one for the brake light switch and battery voltage malfunction. Changed the brake light switch. Still nothing. No brake lights and still stuck on park