AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   Integra (https://acurazine.com/forums/integra-188/)
-   -   RSX vs Celica - Buying (https://acurazine.com/forums/integra-188/rsx-vs-celica-buying-914506/)

hari2992 07-17-2014 05:14 AM

RSX vs Celica - Buying

Hello,

This must be the nth time you are seeing a post like this, but its not the same. Hear me out

I am in grad school looking to buy a 2001 or 2003 Celica GT or GTS (based on availability and miles) or a 2002/03 Acura RSX base or Type S (again based on availability and miles).

Why these years? - because only these fit my budget - yes I know 01,03 celica burns oil
Transmission - Only Manual
Miles - after researching online I can find cars with only over 140k miles for my budget - very important to consider

I will not be racing them nor modifying it beyond HID lamps or Cold Air Intakes or Spoilers! I will be using them daily and will be using them for long trips once in a while, like from South Carolina to Texas!

Yes the GTS and Type S may have higher insurance and require premium fuel but how much higher would it add to? If the RSX has a better aftermarket (as mentioned by many users), do you think regular servicing would be less expensive than the GTS?

Yes the RSX interiors and base model has better features, but none of that matters to me. Not the Type S's 200hp over the GTS' 180hp, not the handling of the celica being better than the RSX.

My main criteria in buying either of these is longevity and maintenance costs. Am looking for a clean title so hoping it to last atleast 3 years without major issues. Which of these is better, considering the model year, miles, availability and cost of parts, celica's oil burning, regular maintenance?

Could someone help me rate them based on these criteria alone?

Thanks!

hoppyk1 07-18-2014 12:10 PM

Check Consumer Reports reliability data

You may get a better answer to your querry by joining Consumer Reports digital and researching reliability for the models you are inquiring about. Their data is based on hundreds if not thousands of owners surveys. And if there is statistically insufficient data that is noted.

In a specific forum like this you get opinions based on a sample of one or two vehicles that the responder owns. Here you may get lucky and get insights on specific vehicles. But you are not likely to get unprejudiced contrasts between vehicles from different manufacturers.

1black_seven 07-19-2014 04:13 PM

its going to depend on the how well the car was maintained and driven. Both cars are good quality brands and both will do the job you're looking for. It's your car.

Ken1997TL 07-19-2014 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by 1black_seven (Post 15087814)
its going to depend on the how well the car was maintained and driven. Both cars are good quality brands and both will do the job you're looking for. It's your car.

This exactly.

How was the individual car maintained? And which car is more suited for you?

Either car can be a great vehicle for the right person. :thumbsup:

Welcome to Acurazine! :cheers:

jamescallowa 04-22-2016 03:32 PM

I would recommend Acura RSX as they are more reliable.

GreenSpades 06-04-2017 06:09 PM

RSX is a lot cooler. Does that matter?