Integra Integra & RSX Discussion

P0219 code engine overspeed on rsx type S ???

Old 12-29-2015, 10:58 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy P0219 code engine overspeed on rsx type S ???

I let a friend borrow my 05 Acura RSX type S for a few days I got the car back the other day and my friend said everything was ok but he said that when the a/c was running it seems like it was wanting to stall so he didn't run the a/c much. I get my car back if the a/c is on when I start it I have to push my foot on the gas pedal to get it to start and then if I am stopped the car is wanting to act like its trying to stall if I dont keep my foot on the gas increase the idle some. At the Advance Auto parts the clerk connected it to a handheld computer and ran a check and the code p0219 engine overspeed came up he didn't know what that code ment but someone else told me the car may have been put in a wrong gear?
Another friend of mine thought she saw my car drive by when my friend was borrowing it. Her is where it gets crazy while it was driving the engine was revving up and down as if the driver was pushing his foot to the floorboard in neutral over and over? I dont get it my car is a 6 speed manual with a clutch the clutch is great, I asked my friend he says he was not even driving my car at the time she saw it. He says he did nothing crazy did not race it and did not rev my engine hard. So I have to believe him ..
Is there anyway I could find out if my friend abused my car's engine when he borrowed it also? any information would be appreciated.
Old 12-29-2015, 11:52 PM
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 249 Posts
Engine was overreved. Might have happened in what's called a "money shift" where you miss a gear (like going to 2nd from redline 3rd instead of 4th). The P0219 code only gets recorded if the car goes over 9,000 RPM.

You should run a compression test. Sounds like your valves got bent and the car is running poorly.
Old 12-30-2015, 12:18 AM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Did your friend let anyone else drive the car while you were away? This is why you never lend a vehicle to a friend. The only people I'd trust with my car are my parents (scratch that, just my dad).

There's no question your engine was overrevved like wackjum said. It's just a matter of finding out who did it, because this could get expensive quickly. You have a reasonable chance that it needs a rebuild.
Old 12-30-2015, 02:46 AM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Originally Posted by wackjum
The P0219 code only gets recorded if the car goes over 9,000 RPM.
The following users liked this post:
wackjum (12-30-2015)
Old 12-30-2015, 07:04 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
he broke your car.
it happens.

a friend over-revv'ed my car. not on purpose..on accident.
it happens.
Old 03-06-2016, 01:15 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy The damage was MAJOR

Cost me $1700.00 . The bad. 1 cylinder compression problem, the valves had to be replaced both intake and exhaust was told they were burnt whatever that mean, cylinder head went to machine shop, replace gaskets, new starter, timing chain replaced wasn't broken but it was advised I replace it.
The good news is my engine feels like it is brand new runs great once again can enjoy just driving and feeling that sweat pull the vtec and the high rpms.
Lesson learned Never never never hand over the keys to your RSX if you care about your car not even to a friend. Its hard for anyone not to want to redline or pound the crap out of an RSX.
My friend who borrowed it finally admitted that he revved the engine a lot but never over-revved it and he did red-line before shifting several times but he never over-revved it and never put it in lower gear. He admits he took a couple of his family members individually on a quick joyride to show them what the car feels like he says pushed it a little bit but he didn't over do it and didn't let anyone else drive it. I feel like I trust him I have let him race my car a number of times at the 1/4 mile track. He beat my time once in my own car. If he over revved it he would tell me.
I know my friend pretty good and he generally an all around good person but he can be manipulated. I concluded that someone at his house wanted to drive the car and he said no. A person who has a history of no regards to other peoples property and low morals. They were able to get access to my car keys when he left in another friends car to a party, he was sleeping or they got him drunk and he passed out. The person or people then took my car out and beat the hell out. While he or she was driving my car as hard as they could it was mis-shifted into a 2nd gear instead of 4th probably more than once. The aggressive movement of the feet on the pedals cause my after market heavy duty rubber floor mat to shove under the gas pedal. When he or she floored it thereafter the gas pedal would get caught on the rubber notches of the floor mat causing it to stick and my engine to red-line. They nearly lost control almost wrecking my car. It happened a few more times before they decided to give up and bring the car back. At this point though my engine was totally burned and ruined.
Lesson I learned is when you hand your keys over to someone you lost control of your car. Even though you trust the person you are giving your car keys to consider the people around them who may influence them or pose a threat.
Old 03-06-2016, 04:15 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
You learned a hard lesson there, but in the long run $1,700 is not a humongous sum of money for an engine rebuild and a timing chain change. Just think of it as your engine is going to last much more time now. You can drive the RSX until the body rusts away basically.

Has your gas mileage improved since the rebuild?