Integra Integra & RSX Discussion

Drove an RSX Type-S

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 10:48 AM
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Drove an RSX Type-S

I bought my first Acura in 2006--an '06 TSX 6 speed. I later traded it on my current '07 TL Type-S 6 speed.

I ended up loving my TSX except for one very annoying feature (that I bitched about repeatedly on AZ)--the DBW throttle. The lag/latency makes smooth shifting impossible until you re-learn how to drive and start hitting the throttle a split second before you're really supposed to. Of all the DBW cars I've driven, the TSX was by far, hands down, the absolute worst. If you've driven worse, I'd love to hear about it so I can experience the agony!

My TL seems to be a lot better. The "training" the TSX gave me made the TL a breeze. In fact, since it's the only manual transmission car I drive now, I thought the TL's throttle was about right.

The other day my friend traded his '03 TL for an '06 RSX Type S. I never gave the RSX much thought--saw it as a tweaked and slightly upgraded Integra... and the Integra never did much for me though I knew they were great cars.

The good old fashioned cable throttle control in his RSX Type-S is a godsend. When I first drove it, the revs kept spiking between gears. It's because my brain has been trained to compensate for the lag/latency in the TSX and TL throttles. I relaxed and kept driving, and soon I was pulling off buttery smooth shifts--unlike anything I've ever attained in the TSX and TL. It was so awesome! Sometimes it's the simple things in life!

Throttle control in some light turns I did was so intuitive! I don't have a retarded ass Honda computer programmed by nimwits overriding what my right foot is doing. Instead the throttle just does what I tell it, when I tell it, end of story. I can't get over it!

Overall I'm really impressed by the car and it's a shame that it doesn't live on in this market, though I suppose it would compete too much with the Si. The red instrumentation and auto climate control were surprise features I didn't realize the car had. I love the K-series engines and the upgraded K20 in this car didn't disappoint. Low-mid range torque is meh, but it seems to do a lot of good honest power when you wind her up. Feels awesome. Overall I feel the car is a great combination of necessary and nice-to-have features, as well as practical and intuitive design.

Just figured I'd share my thoughts. It was an undiscovered car for me and I'm impressed.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 79 Likes on 71 Posts
i had the same experience when i drove my friends rsx-s, his is '05 though. That thing is alot of fun to drive. Well it was, till he traded it in for an s2k lol
Old 01-29-2009, 01:35 PM
Thread killer//

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i loved my rsx. i still miss it from time to time.... but too much of an attention getter and kinda older now so i moved on.
*sigh*

Old 02-12-2009, 04:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 49 Posts
cool story. glad you liked it. too bad the rsx scene is slowly going away. everyones selling and parting out and the rsx just gets cheaper and cheaper. pretty sad