Integra Integra & RSX Discussion

Considering changing starter on 02 RSX base

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 01:51 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Considering changing starter on 02 RSX base

Hello everyone,
First off, I wanted to make note that I have been looking through the forums for much time now, and decided that it would be great to be a part of it.

Second, I apologize in advance if there is another post regarding the same exact matter because Google search questions generally lead me to this site, so I have not been able to research everything just yet.
My wife owns a 2002 Acura RSX Base with an automatic transmission. The vehicle has approximately 147,000 miles on it and I have no idea what previous owners have actually done to it because of no proof.
To the issue: The vehicle has been having a hard time starting in fairly colder weather (30-45 F). It seems that the battery simply does not have enough juice despite just purchasing a battery the other week. Upon entering the vehicle and turning the key to turn the motor on, the starter would turn the motor and it does not start up right way. I would then turn the key off to prevent battery from completely dying and would try to turn the key on once again. On the second try, assuming that the fuel pressure is much better, the motor will turn on without any issues. This only happens when the motor is cold and does not have an issue turning on when hot.
I am considering on changing the starter to see if it helps rids of the issue plus as part of preventative maintenance with the 147,000 miles the car has.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance
Old 11-16-2012, 11:19 AM
Slot Machine Lubricator

Received 404 Likes on 316 Posts
you need a newer battery.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:07 PM
7th Gear

Thanks Black_Seven for the reply.

Actually, I thought that was the issue originally so I went ahead and purchased a new battery this past weekend at SAMs Club.
I went ahead and bought a E51R type Energizer (manufactured 9/12) battery that has 3 year warranty. Not to mention that the battery is rated to have 495 Cold Crank Amps and when at 32 degrees, it has up to 625 Cranking Amps; which I thinkis pretty normal from my understanding.

Since I needed a new battery anyways, I went ahead and bought one thinking that it would rid of the issue, though it hasn't completely. Could it be the starter or maybe the tensioner not completely holding its own and the belt slips upon trying to start up?
Old 11-16-2012, 01:53 PM
Slot Machine Lubricator

The same issue happened on my prelude. Ended up having to buy a new battery, and later replaced the solenoid. started up beautifully after that. I would check with that.
BTW, the solenoid is a pain in the ass to replace. Took me 4.5 hours on my honda.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:00 PM
7th Gear

Now when you speak of solenoid, are you referring to the starter solenoid or a whole other planet? I appreciate your patience if you can share a little insight regarding the matter.

Thanks again...
Old 11-17-2012, 12:46 AM
Slot Machine Lubricator

yes the starter solenoid, not the starter motor.
Do you hear clicking when you try to start the motor cold?

If all you hear is *click* then silence, you'll need a new solenoid. The solenoid should be clicking to engage the starter motor.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:16 PM
7th Gear

Actually, that's part of it; I do not hear any clicking what so ever and the vehicle will fire up. It just makes it a semi-difficult when its cold in the morning. I did a few tests and determined that the vehicle turns on quicker when I actually prime the pump by turning on the key and waiting a few seconds prior to making a turn on attempt.
I fill up the gas tank every week and by the time I get to my next fill up, the gas will be slightly below a quarter tank, prior to that, I cannot tell you how many times it may have been ran on completely empty; fuel pump concern - I dunno...