AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   Integra (https://acurazine.com/forums/integra-188/)
-   -   Can I learn manual in a day? (https://acurazine.com/forums/integra-188/can-i-learn-manual-day-976489/)

Rawdog0 01-17-2019 07:35 PM

Can I learn manual in a day?

So I am thinking of trading my TSX for an RSX-S but I never drove an MT, been driving for about 3 years and feel like im a pretty good driver and picked it up quickly, reason Im asking is because I need to drive 30m for work everyday so..yea lol

I have people to teach me so at least theres that, how did you guys learn?

Also is this a wise trade for me? Its a 2008 TSX, great condition for a 2002 Type S great condition, both similar condition and miles (170kish on both)

kurtatx 01-17-2019 07:39 PM

It takes a day about. once you get used to it, you're good. Be careful on hill starts, though

Rawdog0 01-17-2019 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by kurtatx (Post 16367427)
It takes a day about. once you get used to it, you're good. Be careful on hill starts, though

I’ll have someone drive me home and once I learn I’ll practice all day

Midnight Mystery 01-17-2019 08:04 PM

Start with the clutch and, at first, don't let out fast, you'll stall. Release clutch over a couple of seconds while throttling maybe 15-25%. Be smooth and easy, you're not trying to race yet. Just get it rolling. Also, don't worry about downshifting at first... Because $$$ could happen if you can't feel where the gears are. P.S., only drove one manual a few times, four years ago. It was a POS 1996 Suzuki Sidekick.

horseshoez 01-17-2019 08:22 PM

I learned back in 1977; a friend was selling his car and promised he'd teach me how to drive a stick before I drove home. Unfortunately at the last minute he landed a hot date; I gave him the money, he gave me the keys and title, and he split.

I knew enough to put the car in neutral, rolled it down the hill where there was an empty parking lot, and then practiced for an hour or so before I drove home.

Long story short, yes, you can easily learn to drive a stick in a day.

Midnight Mystery 01-17-2019 08:24 PM

Cool story, Horseshoez.

thoiboi 01-17-2019 10:16 PM

Totes can

05 Acura TL 01-18-2019 08:26 AM

Before I actually bought my first manual, my mom had a miata and she took me out and I was driving it around in less than an hour, this was when I was 16. Got my first manual at 18 right before I went to college and I had hills & everything else figured out in about a day. Plus the RSX is a pretty easy manual to drive, so unless someone put a heavier clutch set up in it, it will be fairly easy to figure out.

nats007 01-18-2019 12:41 PM

Been driving manual transmission cars for the past 21 years. Every car I've owned since I was 16 has been manual and will always keep one in the stable.

You can pick it up in a day, but I'll be honest it takes several days to get comfortable with it. Biggest advice is to Not panic! You will stall at a light, you will miss a gear or two, you will forget to depress the clutch and cut off when stopping. People will honk, speed around you, etc. Don't stress out, take a deep breath, sync the clutch and start her back up again.

Last tip, timing is everything, so as a previous poster mentioned, take your time. Dump the clutch, car will stall... Riding the clutch will burn it up. I taught my 3 nieces and nephew to drive manual transmission last summer and lost a clutch in the process lol, but all is well and 2 are experts now.

Carpayment4life 08-13-2019 08:59 PM

I taught both daughters in 30 minutes, on a large empty parking lot.

Critical 1st step...Be able to control the gas pedal. Be able to change rpm between 1000 & 2000 effortlessly, before touching the clutch pedal. So they sat there pressing the gas, in neutral, for 10 minutes.

Step 2. In 1st gear ease out the clutch slowly and control the rpm at 2000. Repeat for 5 minutes.

E92Vancouver 12-14-2021 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Rawdog0 (Post 16367424)
So I am thinking of trading my TSX for an RSX-S but I never drove an MT, been driving for about 3 years and feel like im a pretty good driver and picked it up quickly, reason Im asking is because I need to drive 30m for work everyday so..yea lol

I have people to teach me so at least theres that, how did you guys learn?

Also is this a wise trade for me? Its a 2008 TSX, great condition for a 2002 Type S great condition, both similar condition and miles (170kish on both)

I learned in a 2 hours when I was 12 years old. Drove on a big farm. But I had dirt bikes so was familiar with a clutch and gears. Can you ride a motorcycle? Practice in the parking lot of large shopping mall after hours.

DaIll1 12-15-2021 01:36 AM

I know this is an old thread, revived, but I learned how on the way to take my first license test. I got a 97 B-T-W up hill left turn from a stop, rolled back a few inches.

E92Vancouver 12-16-2021 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by DaIll1 (Post 16780413)
I know this is an old thread, revived, but I learned how on the way to take my first license test. I got a 97 B-T-W up hill left turn from a stop, rolled back a few inches.

That's damn good!!