Integra Integra & RSX Discussion

Acura RSX Value

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 09:35 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Acura RSX Value

I own a 2005 Acura RSX in Magnesium Metallic with leather seats and rear spoiler. I purchased it new and must say it has been the best car I have ever owned. I've had minimal repairs and reliable is an understatement for the vehicle. However, after giving me 171,000 reliable and memorable miles, it is time to sell and upgrade to an RDX (a 2 door hatch isn't ideal when children are on the horizon). That being said, the Acura dealer would only give me $1500 on a trade in which I found to be quite low. They claim they would be wholesaling the car and it had no value to them. Honda offered $3000, but I am not interested in the Honda lineup. Kelly Blue Book trade in value for "good" condition is $4,384 and "fair" is $3,334. The car is in good condition aside from a scratch on the front bumper (which I will probably just buff out and detail for $150). The private sale according to KBB is $6,494 in "good" and $5,369 in "poor" condition.

Now the question I have for everyone is 1) why did Acura offer me such a low trade in??? and 2) If I sell privately, is $5,300 a good asking price? I know the mileage is high, but the car still runs very well. I don't want to ask for too much and seem ridiculous, but at the same time I'd like to get a fair price.

What is everyone's thoughts?
I would attach photos, but I can't seem to figure out how to do that.

Thanks everyone!
Old 09-08-2012, 11:20 PM
Slot Machine Lubricator

Received 404 Likes on 316 Posts
Has the 105k service been done on the car?
What about fluid changes and all maintenance records?

Personally what acura is offering you is crap, honda has a better deal but your private sale is your best bet.
Don't settle for less, get what it's worth.

Last edited by 1black_seven; 09-08-2012 at 11:24 PM.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:01 PM
Advanced

I am embarrassed to say, no it hasn't. Oddly enough, the car runs beautifully even though I know I'm supposed to replace the water pump, timing belt, and spark plugs. I got a quote for service from Acura and it was approximately $1,100. Now, I will put that money into the car if I know I can sell the car privately for $5000. However, if I cannot sell it privately (I don't know how easy/hard it is to sell an RSX privately with high mileage) and end up having to do a trade in for $1500, then its pointless since Acura won't give me more money if I do the service.

In the past year I've put a lot of money into the car including new engine mounts (they were making noise and turned out to have cracks in them), new brakes AND rotors, and new tires. I'm hesitant to put another $1100 into the car if it doesn't sell privately and I'm forced to accept the trade in for $1500.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:45 PM
Slot Machine Lubricator

try selling an acura on acurazine that hasn't had the required upkeep and see how far you get before the other users shut you down.

Reverse the situation. What if someone tried to sell you a sports car and either didn't tell you, or you found out that they neglected one of the most critical upkeep requirements of an Acura?

Hondas are some resilient machines, but resilience only stretches so far.

I myself would never buy a high mileage Acura that has not had the proper 105k done. And I would be willing to bet neither would anyone else on this forum.

If you have a trusted mechanic, have them quote you for a tune up. Many of the guys here on Azine buy the OEM parts thru vendors and have their own mechanic install them for a lot less than the dealership.
My tune up was $600.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:36 AM
Advanced

I think you misunderstood what I wrote. I said that I will put in the necessary work if I end up selling privately. However, if I'm trading in to Acura who is just going to wholesale for $1500, its not worth the money or effort. The question was more, if the car is completely brought up to standard with everything redone, is there a good market for an RSX, or is a high mileage RSX just not going to sell (after completing all necessary maintenance).
Old 09-10-2012, 03:52 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by 1black_seven
try selling an acura on acurazine that hasn't had the required upkeep and see how far you get before the other users shut you down.

Reverse the situation. What if someone tried to sell you a sports car and either didn't tell you, or you found out that they neglected one of the most critical upkeep requirements of an Acura?

Hondas are some resilient machines, but resilience only stretches so far.

I myself would never buy a high mileage Acura that has not had the proper 105k done. And I would be willing to bet neither would anyone else on this forum.

If you have a trusted mechanic, have them quote you for a tune up. Many of the guys here on Azine buy the OEM parts thru vendors and have their own mechanic install them for a lot less than the dealership.
My tune up was $600.
Since the RSX doesn't have a timing belt, I don't think the service should be too expensive. Normally the timing belt costs the most on 105k service.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:59 AM
Advanced

It doesn't have a timing belt??? When I went into Acura for a price quote, timing belt service was listed on there. Now I'm completely confused.

What else is on the service list besides water pump, spark plugs, and coolant (and of course an oil change while I have it in for service - the car has gotten regular oil changes every 5,000 miles, that is one thing I never missed).
Old 09-10-2012, 10:56 AM
Slot Machine Lubricator

I would buy a high mileage rsx knowin that it has been cared for properly.
Don't forget about inspecting valve clearance and adjustments.

IMO I think you could get a better deal if you did the tune up.

Your best bet would be selling it to a Honda enthusiast, since the 05 models are a better platform to work with.

I don't want to say that getting the tune WILL sell the car but it will help your odds.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:07 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Napoleon
It doesn't have a timing belt??? When I went into Acura for a price quote, timing belt service was listed on there. Now I'm completely confused.

What else is on the service list besides water pump, spark plugs, and coolant (and of course an oil change while I have it in for service - the car has gotten regular oil changes every 5,000 miles, that is one thing I never missed).
If the dealer tried to sell you timing belt for RSX, find another dealer. Your car has a timing chain, that "should" last the lifetime of your car. There is no guarantee that it will, but it should. Here is a maintenance schedule that is recommended for your car. http://imailvideo.com/Acura/Manual/M...e_Schedule.pdf
Old 09-13-2012, 06:55 AM
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your car is a base and not a Type-S right? I'm almost certain you'd be able to sell an 05-06 for $6k privately. Don't settle for less and put in the work to sell privately. They're all correct in saying that the RSX has a timing chain and not a timing belt. If the dealership tried to sell you a belt, they're trying to pull some shady stuff and you should avoid that dealer.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:38 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
I was going to say, I'd probably give you 3-4K for it if it was a type S. I miss my old one...

You have a timing chain on the RSX, not belt.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:22 PM
10th Gear

$1,100 isnt bad for a new water pump, timing chain, and fluid drains. I paid $800 alone for my timing belt and plugs @ acura, but then again it was a TL. Thats high mileage for a 05' realistically. Maybe check KBB and go from there, they also have a questionnaire on what condition your car is in to help you find the suitable price. I personally think its somewhat biased because they dont take into account where your work was done (quality of labor) but its a starting point. Hope this helps.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:25 PM
10th Gear

TSX's and RSX's have chains not belts. Not sure why they called it a belt, maybe just a bad service advisor?
Old 10-10-2012, 02:36 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On KBB, there is a separate calculator for trade-in values. http://www.kbb.com/whats-my-car-worth/?si=trade-known. Trade-in for fair to good condition (75% of cars fall in this range) on an 05 base with 171k is $3100 to $4100.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:24 PM
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 371 Posts
Originally Posted by Napoleon
I am embarrassed to say, no it hasn't. Oddly enough, the car runs beautifully even though I know I'm supposed to replace the water pump, timing belt, and spark plugs. I got a quote for service from Acura and it was approximately $1,100. Now, I will put that money into the car if I know I can sell the car privately for $5000. However, if I cannot sell it privately (I don't know how easy/hard it is to sell an RSX privately with high mileage) and end up having to do a trade in for $1500, then its pointless since Acura won't give me more money if I do the service.

In the past year I've put a lot of money into the car including new engine mounts (they were making noise and turned out to have cracks in them), new brakes AND rotors, and new tires. I'm hesitant to put another $1100 into the car if it doesn't sell privately and I'm forced to accept the trade in for $1500.
Im not tying to be rude..But no way in hell are you running on the original water pump etc...the tensioner would be bad or waterpump leaked with that many miles...

Last edited by Italiano; 11-16-2012 at 09:26 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:10 PM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Stealership is a liar. They will detail it and sell it for KBB value which is probably near 8k. Just sell it yourself and smile when you tell them you did. Basically a dealership trade in is like taking your car to a pawn shop, they'll give you 25% what it's worth so they can make a huge profit.