Integra Integra & RSX Discussion

2005 RSX Weird Braking Issue

Old 05-28-2015, 08:13 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 RSX Weird Braking Issue

So first off I don't know much about cars so I apologize in advance if this question is daft...

I have a 2005 RSX-S with about 126K miles. Today while in traffic I put it into neutral while holding the brake down and the car started rolling backwards... I even pulled the E-Brake but it didn't stop the car from rolling backwards... I almost hit the car behind me.... The only thing that stopped it was when I put the car into 1st gear....

After about 10 mins of this behavior the brake starting working again and I could put the car in neutral while holding the brake down both with and without the clutch pushed down and the car would be stationary.

I had this happend one other time to me about 3 months ago in the parking lot but I thought it was an anomaly of some sort or I did something wrong since it didn't happen again afterwards.

Does anyone know what the problem might be here?
Old 05-28-2015, 08:17 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
so, did the brake pedal go to the floor without any pressure?

or

does the brake pedal have pressure and you're just not able to stop?

I'm assuming you cant stop going forward either
Old 05-28-2015, 10:20 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by justnspace
so, did the brake pedal go to the floor without any pressure?

or

does the brake pedal have pressure and you're just not able to stop?

I'm assuming you cant stop going forward either
The brake pedal had pressure but it wouldn't stop the car from rolling back. I am not sure about going forward as I only experienced this on an incline. There was too much traffic for me to test it. It feels like I had no way of making the car stop rolling back.... Even the e-brake didn't work... granted it was rolling back slowly. Felt kind of like a ghost was moving the car
Old 05-28-2015, 11:37 AM
Acura Fanboy

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
If the power brakes lost vacuum, I could see how putting the normal amount of pressure on the pedal might not stop the car. But at idle, manifold vacuum is highest, so this shouldn't be the cause. The e-brake mechanism is separate from the pedal and should always work unless way out of adjustment.

I can't imagine an intermittent condition that could compromise both the regular brakes and the e-brake.
The following 2 users liked this post by knavekid:
justnspace (05-28-2015), RomeWashington (05-28-2015)
Old 05-28-2015, 11:54 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by knavekid
If the power brakes lost vacuum, I could see how putting the normal amount of pressure on the pedal might not stop the car. But at idle, manifold vacuum is highest, so this shouldn't be the cause. The e-brake mechanism is separate from the pedal and should always work unless way out of adjustment.

I can't imagine an intermittent condition that could compromise both the regular brakes and the e-brake.
Yes this is why this is so odd... I was also pushing on the brake hard as one would do in panic as the car was rolling back. I don't think I ever had my E-Brake serviced so its possible that could be a separate issue.

It seemed like the only way to stop the car was putting into gear and then stepping on the brake.
Old 05-28-2015, 12:00 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
either booster or master cylinder for first issue.

2nd issue, adjust cable slack in parking brake handle, then adjust star spindle in parking brake shoes
The following users liked this post:
RomeWashington (05-28-2015)
Old 05-28-2015, 01:47 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by justnspace
either booster or master cylinder for first issue.

2nd issue, adjust cable slack in parking brake handle, then adjust star spindle in parking brake shoes
Thanks. Unfortunately I am hardly a car buff so I am not sure what these are I suppose I should take it to my mechanic though. How much do you think this would cost?
Old 05-28-2015, 10:20 PM
5th Gear

Btw driving my car home from work I did not experience the issue at all. Both the E-Brake and Brake worked fine....

Maybe the car stalled and I didn't realize it? If the car stalled would it still move backwards on a hill with the car in neutral and the e-brake up? This is the only explanation I can think of....