Integra Integra & RSX Discussion

2004 RSX Immobilizer Fun

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 06:51 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up 2004 RSX Immobilizer Fun

Okay.... first post here. I always come to check this page if I have trouble with my cars. It has been very informative. SO here we go.

Somebody tried to steal my 04 RSX (base model). They took apart the steering column covering and disconnected everything. I guess they were going to try and hot wire it. After that, the key light flashes and engine will turn over but not start. I called what we will call "Dealership 1" and told them that the if the immobilzer was unplugged then it would erase it and that I'd have to bring it in to have it reprogrammed. They gave me a brake code to try and get it running to bring it in. To my surprise it worked! I was however closer to another Acura dealership which we will call (Dealership 2). Once getting it running I took it to Dealership 2. I told them what happened and told them I needed the immobilizer reprogrammed among some other standard routine maintenance. While waiting, the service advisor tells me that the tech told her that since the light was flashing on the dash that it wasn't the immobilizer and that if it was the immobilizer then the brake code wouldn't work. Of course they charged a $168 diagnostic fee to figure out what was wrong. They issued me a loaner car on Saturday and said they'd call me Monday with a diagnosis.

Monday I get a call and they say the immobilzer is fine but they can't read the chip in the key so that must be the problem. Being that they wanted over $400 to have a key made I told them that I'd get another key made somewhere else and that I'd just come pick up the car later that day. I get a call while on my way to Dealership 2 and they can't get my car to start. I get there and they ask if I want to give it a try. I say yes and proceed to the shop where my car is. I enter the brake code and the battery is dead. The tech is looking at me like (see it won't start). I have them put a jumper box on and it started right up after putting the code in again. The tech told me that the code I got from Dealership 1 wasn't the same print out he got. I shrugged it off and was like cool. Whatever man.

So today I am looking for an OEM blank key at a reasonable price and I come across a picture online for an immobilizer on an RSX and thought "My ignition doesn't look quite like that." I looked and low and behold, they left the immobilzer off of my car at Dealership 2.

My questions are
1. Should the car start up with a brake code even without an immobilizer?
2. Was the Tech full of it when he told me the green light flashing didn't mean it was the immobilizer?
3. How mad should I be after this trip to Dealership 1 where they A: didn't diagnose what was wrong B: Put a synthetic blend in for my oil when I requested and paid for full synthetic and C: Gave me back my car sans immobilzer?

Any insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks and happy to be on the site.