What little things did Acura "cheap out" on with the ILX

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 12:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 118 Posts
What little things did Acura "cheap out" on with the ILX

Im in much debate if I want to buy a used 4th gen TL, TLX, or ILX. I like the mpg and look of the 2016 ILX, but what little things did Acura not include that they should have?

For starters, I believe the ILX mirrors do not tilt down when in reverse.

Also i know the touch screen does not give haptic feed back (where you can feel when you press a button)

Also found out if you get the adaptive cruise control feature it does not do low speed follow like the tlx/rlx

What other little things like these that could possibly be "deal breakers" that Acura cheaped out on and did not include with the 2016 ILX?
Old 07-15-2015, 07:40 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by spoiler900
Im in much debate if I want to buy a used 4th gen TL, TLX, or ILX. I like the mpg and look of the 2016 ILX, but what little things did Acura not include that they should have?

For starters, I believe the ILX mirrors do not tilt down when in reverse.

Also i know the touch screen does not give haptic feed back (where you can feel when you press a button)

Also found out if you get the adaptive cruise control feature it does not do low speed follow like the tlx/rlx

What other little things like these that could possibly be "deal breakers" that Acura cheaped out on and did not include with the 2016 ILX?
Using hard plastics in the cabin is "cheapened out", not including features you find in high end models (RLX, TLX) is the reality of an entry level model.

Acura did a fine job of differentiating the ILX from the Civic - it isn't a Cimarron but it never was intended to be a smaller RLX.

Are you willing to pay for those features? That puts the ILX squarely into TLX territory and makes the ILX superfluous
Old 07-15-2015, 09:11 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
Acura didnt cheap out on anything. It is a cheap entry level luxury vehicle. In comparison to the mercedes cla and audi a3 it is a good price for the texh and features you do get.

Every feature acura "cheaped" out on would have brought the price from an affordable 27g to 37g plus. We have had this conversation a few times here.

If you want tlx features pay the extra money for a tlx. If you dont need those fatures then pay less for the ilx. Its simple really.

Frankly this is a pretty glass half empty sounding thread. lol
Old 07-15-2015, 11:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 412 Likes on 194 Posts
Yeah, no major complaints here. I came a flagship model to an entry level model and I expected fit & finish to correspond accordingly. My expectations were pretty low. I do wish the door panels didn't have the hard plastic along the bottom. Mine are getting scuffed up.
Old 07-15-2015, 05:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Agreed on the scuffed up door panels but not sure what material would have prevented the marks? Im surprised to see some of the marks wont even come off. Must have really kicked the plastic paneling hard.
Old 07-15-2015, 05:50 PM
Pro

Received 494 Likes on 242 Posts
Signal lights on the side mirrors, even a 2006 Acura CSX had them. They really help with lane-changes in traffic.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:51 AM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
My only complaint is the lack of sound deadening. The road noise can really be loud at times.
Old 07-16-2015, 12:11 PM
16 SSM ILX Prem-Aspec

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Not deal breakers: i know these would make the car cost more etc..still love the car, but these would be nice

rear ac vents
sunglass holder in front of sunroof
more storage...my civic had little pockets in the dash
ILX basically has one under the center and the arm rest which is small..
coin stoage..i have mine in the door handle and if i close the door to hard coins fall out...
Old 07-16-2015, 12:27 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Steven Vitek
Not deal breakers: i know these would make the car cost more etc..still love the car, but these would be nice

rear ac vents
sunglass holder in front of sunroof
more storage...my civic had little pockets in the dash
ILX basically has one under the center and the arm rest which is small..
coin stoage..i have mine in the door handle and if i close the door to hard coins fall out...
So I just got my 2016 on Monday and earlier today I was sitting inside of it with my wife asking her what she would change or add to it. Your list is almost identical! So I have a Tech Plus with A-SPEC Package model and here are my thoughts...

Inside:
-It's missing a sunglasses holder so ours are in the cubby in front of the shifter.

-It needs more storage areas. I miss having a small one on the left side of the steering wheel like my TSX had. I have no where to put my change now, so I just have it in a zip-lock bag in my center console/armrest area.

Other than that I honestly can't complain right now about the interior of the car. So far I love it. I really, really loved my TSX and it'll take a little bit for me to get as comfortable in the ILX, but so far I definitely think it's nicer on the inside.

Outside:
-No standard LED fog lights. This is my BIGGEST complaint about this car! The headlights are so gorgeous, both on and off, and Acura went ahead and left old school halogen fog light bulbs in the damn thing. Oh sure, you can get their LED replacements for $700, but who the hell would do that?!

-The 18in. wheels can get pretty noisy and you definitely feel a lot more with them. (Not in a good way)

So far other than those two things, I love the exterior of the car. Again, the lights are amazing and look phenomenal! I absolutely loved the HID headlights in my 2013 TSX, and I like these LED's even more. The day-time running lights look great... the turn signal looks great... Acura just dead a damn good job with the headlights. The taillights are quite gorgeous as well.
Old 07-16-2015, 01:15 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 71 Posts
As i've mentioned before. The best way to remedy the A-Specs lack of LED fogs is to go the
Philips Route Philips Route
They are an absolutely perfect match for the color of the headlights and look great when you unlock the car and they blast on w/ the low beams at night. There also my most wallet friendly, my H-LED H11 that can remedy that problem for cheep too.

The only interior 'cheapness' I can call out is the lower door panels which are made of hard plastic. But If you've ever sat in a 2015 Civic you can easily let that slide; as the entire car/dash is made out of that stuff in the Civic. The ILX does a great job of covering a good 90% of the surfaces with either soft touch plastic or leather-like material (like the dash board). You'll only notice it if you keep kicking your door open (a bad habit I'm sure we all have)

I have no problem w/ the 18" wheels noise as its something that has to be traded off with low profile sporty tires. A compromise for grip and performance. I'm sure when i slap on some sticker rubber the noise would increase anyway so I'm not complaining.

Its really a lot more then just a pretty civic, both inside and out.

One minor irk though. While the front interior lights are 4K LEDs, the rear is a halogen capsule... wonder why they did that, but w/e.

Last edited by Thmanx; 07-16-2015 at 01:18 PM.
Old 07-16-2015, 05:18 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Thmanx
One minor irk though. While the front interior lights are 4K LEDs, the rear is a halogen capsule... wonder why they did that, but w/e.
I've noticed that too. Also, since the front interior lights are yellowish, it is kinda hard to find a matching color led bulb for the rear. I ordered a warm white 31mm Festoon bulb from SBL and going to see it will match with the front lights.
Old 07-16-2015, 05:23 PM
Racer

I know philips makes a 4K series festoon bulb, as well as Osram too. You'll have to order them online or through sites like powerbulbs.com

(haven't actually checked the size, but i assume its a 31mm Festoon)
Old 07-16-2015, 05:44 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car comes well equipped with tech.
But in my opinion they do a little better.
-Hearing the fuel slosh in the tank
-More power outlets
-Reverse tilt mirrors
-60/40 split rear seat
-fit and finish could be a little better wont get into that.
Old 07-16-2015, 06:04 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just checked the bulb and it is not a 31mm festoon I think it is a t10 but not sure... I just assumed the rear light bulb would be the same as 2015 ilx but i guess not lol

Old 07-16-2015, 06:07 PM
Racer

Dang, and its at the award angle too.

Again Philips and Osram make a 194/T10 LED, but I wouldn't get the osram version as its much more directional then the Philips bulb.

The Osram uses a chip w/ a lens on top, and causes discoloration at wide angles, where as the Philips T10 uses a flat LED board and a better lens cap to defuse the light.

I'd go with these Philips for the time being until a company like brand like Morimoto from TRS brings out a 4K version of their Flat COB based T10's
Old 07-20-2015, 02:21 AM
Cruisin'

One thing that really irks me about the ILX is that only the front passenger seat has a storage pocket on the back while the drivers seat has no pocket and looks empty. This SCREAMS cheap to me and makes it look like an economy car. How much more expensive could it have possibly cost Acura to add a storage pocket on both sides of the car instead of just one?
Old 07-20-2015, 06:22 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by thebluexanadu81
One thing that really irks me about the ILX is that only the front passenger seat has a storage pocket on the back while the drivers seat has no pocket and looks empty. This SCREAMS cheap to me and makes it look like an economy car. How much more expensive could it have possibly cost Acura to add a storage pocket on both sides of the car instead of just one?
Are both seats the identical design otherwise? Often, the driver's seat is slightly different because of a variety of reasons (greater adjustment range, crash testing etc.) so adding a seatback pocket may have impacted rear seat space.
Old 07-20-2015, 02:05 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by ceb
Are both seats the identical design otherwise? Often, the driver's seat is slightly different because of a variety of reasons (greater adjustment range, crash testing etc.) so adding a seatback pocket may have impacted rear seat space.
Both seats look identical to me. Even then, there are no electrical components in a seatback pocket so I don't see how adding one could have possibly been affected by any of those things you listed. It's just a piece of foam covered in fake leather. Oh yeah and the lack of lumbar support for the drivers seat is uber cheap as well.
Old 07-21-2015, 03:01 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i do agree with the lack of sound deadening. my 01 cl type s was alot quiter. the mirror tilting. it has a back up cam. the pwr socket in the console, yes it could have been also included in the pocket in front of the shifter. the little things you all are bitching about make me laugh. If you dont like them why did you buy the car????? there are days i miss the power my cl had, but then i think i save on gas with my ilx. i wish my car had homelink. if i really want it i will buy a aftermarket kit and put it in the fact spot. i have not bc i dont want to install stuff in my own car after do the same stuff at work all week.
Old 07-29-2015, 07:28 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
The only thing lacking to me in the '13 to '15 ILX would have been a standard power front passenger seat, which is now an option on the 16's, and maybe auto power up/down for the rear windows, but give me my 6 sp manual over all of that anyday
Old 07-29-2015, 08:03 PM
Racer

For all those questioning the 8Speed DCT, I'd challenge you to drive one on a fun country or mountain road. When in S-Manual mode, its quite the cog-box to thrash around the road.
The following users liked this post:
benjaminh (07-30-2015)
Old 07-30-2015, 07:02 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Thmanx
For all those questioning the 8Speed DCT, I'd challenge you to drive one on a fun country or mountain road. When in S-Manual mode, its quite the cog-box to thrash around the road.
I'm waiting patiently to hit 600 miles (per the owner's manual) so I can open her up.

The vehicle that I test drove I got to do whatever I wanted with and I was extremely impressed with the 2016 ILX in Sport mode at WOT. The DCT shifts so fast and smooth.

200 more miles to go...
Old 07-30-2015, 11:19 AM
tal
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
ILX price

I always look at the price/content features of the car. My base 2014 ILX at a MSRP of nearly $28k was way over priced.

However, Acura was offering deep incentives & 0.9% financing in November '13.

I paid $24k plus tax, title, & license. Now that was a good buy. That's how I look at this car.

What did they cheap out? Well the Premium Package at nearly $2300 was a rip off. You only got HIDs, XM Radio, autodim mirror, fog lights. I think these should have been standard in this car class.

I did miss a few of those items so I purchased the HID kit from The Retrofit Source, and a autodim mirror. With install this was under $700. Also in this price was a power lumbar for the driver's seat & HomeLink garage door opener in the autodim mirror.

Like the car very much now.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:05 PM
7th Gear

Driver's seat adjustable lumbar support... even a manual one would be good.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:01 PM
Racer

I'll just add one more thing here.

I feel for the added money you were paying for an A-Spec model, they seriously should have installed (or at least mentioned/offered it at a discounted price at the time of purchase) the full Front/Rear Aero kit. As well as the A-Spec badge. WERE THE HELL IS THE DAMN A-SPEC BADGING... No love for us 'ex' tuners lol...
Old 08-04-2015, 10:46 PM
Racer

Update to Above post.

Acura.ca even went through the trouble to photo-shop in the A-Spec badge on their press photos on their site. Even though the photos are clearly taken from reference shots at Hondas Proving grounds in the Mojave Desert...

Original Image

Canadian Revised version...
Old 08-05-2015, 01:40 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Road noise and suspension noise is pretty bad over rough roads. Needs much more sound deadening.
Old 08-05-2015, 02:12 PM
Racer

Image links above expired...

Original Press Image

Canadian Photoshopped Alternative
Old 08-05-2015, 02:14 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
LOL at photoshopping a little tiny badge that took me 40 mins to spot the difference
Old 08-05-2015, 02:22 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Guys, don't stress about the aspec badges. You're likely better off not having them. I foresee them becoming a theft magnet, which is never a good thing.

I like the redesign of the 2016 ILX, however, the aspec body kit leaves much to be desired. Man, that thing is mega ugly and sticks out like a sore thumb, instead of adding a bit of fluid sportiness to the body.
Old 08-06-2015, 12:57 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TacoBello
Guys, don't stress about the aspec badges. You're likely better off not having them. I foresee them becoming a theft magnet, which is never a good thing.

I like the redesign of the 2016 ILX, however, the aspec body kit leaves much to be desired. Man, that thing is mega ugly and sticks out like a sore thumb, instead of adding a bit of fluid sportiness to the body.
Its interesting how different people can see the same car.

I take the opposite side. I feel like the make over made most everything worse (minus the headlights and interior) but I feel like the new kit is the only saving grace.

Man I wish Acura would have wised up 3 years ago and made a 2013 ilx "aspec". All they had to do was throw some black paint on the 17in premium wheels, some badges, and claim the kit is aspec but never actually offer it with the car and BOOM, theyd make like 10 extra sales. Someone get me a job at Acura. I can water down cars just as good as the next guy!
Old 08-06-2015, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by TacoBello

Do you know how much the stupid little TL aspec badge goes for?

a stupid little badge is valued at $300.
that's as much as a person is willing to pay for it.
I've seen it happen on ebay.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:47 AM

https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...d-ebay-858992/

this one went for $127
Old 08-06-2015, 09:44 AM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a 2016 Ilx. The last Acura I had was a 2006 tsx. For the money I don't have many complaints. I believe they cheaped out on the sound system, which was better in my tsx. Also no sunglass holder. Wish it had the blue ambient lighting also. Other than that. No complaints really.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:16 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by justnspace
LOL at photoshopping a little tiny badge that took me 40 mins to spot the difference
Glad I wasn't the only one
Old 08-09-2015, 05:16 PM
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just picked up with 2016 ILX with tech plus, I am very pleased with the car as far as getting a good value. Compared this car to many other competitors, this by far was the best value for the money-love the car.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:47 PM
Racer

Indeed it's a value leader. I still can't fathom why the hell the Lexus IS250 is in the 36500 range for an inferior vehicle.

Sure you could spec it out with fancier bits, but the price just goes up from there

Makes the ~28000 ILX seam affordable lol
Old 08-10-2015, 12:45 AM
Jeff

Received 815 Likes on 726 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
LOL same man I'm like where the fuck is this badge??
Old 08-11-2015, 05:28 AM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
Originally Posted by Oh Sickest TL
LOL same man I'm like where the fuck is this badge??
Right in front of the side mirror on the fender. Took me awhile to notice as well.