Tuning the 2015 ILX

Old 07-12-2015, 02:29 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Tuning the 2015 ILX

I wanted to start this thread to discuss our options for the 15 ILX. When I got my 2015 ILX in Feb 2015, it never even occurred to me that tuning would be an issue. I was seeing all the great things including bolt-ons and forced induction from supercharger to turbo implementations. Then all the great work shops like VitViper were doing.

However, it turns out our ECU is different that the 13/14 models and isn't currently supported as a tuning platform.

Currently, Hondata or Ktuner don't have support for our car. Ktuner says that it's on the list for support, but that doesn't offer much consolation.

After discussing with Vit, it seems even if Ktuner comes online, it will be limited it features that it can offer:

Ktuner can tune basic bolt ons, but there's no injector support, no forced induction support, no speed density, etc., which mean's it's not an option for a supercharger or turbo set up.

So, that leaves Hondata. From what we've heard so far, they are not planning on adding support for the 2015 ILX. But, we've heard that record before...they said in 2013 that they would not support the ILX platform at all.
As we all know, they now do, and it's led to some awesome work by Vit and other tuners out there getting the most out of the 2.4 ILX.

I have no doubt Hondata will eventually add support. Once all the 15's come off lease, and the secondary market grows for them, I'd hope it would be something they add.

However, they need some convincing that there is a market. So, if you've got a 2015 ILX and ever one day plan on modding it and wanting to tune, check in here. Then head over to this thread and post your ECU number and request support for our car. Even if you aren't planning anything soon, it can't hurt to have your voice heard and have that option some day. Even something as simple as CAI could benefit from a tune...

https://www.hondata.com/forum/viewto...p?f=44&t=18389

My ultimate goal is to get a CT Supercharger with a Vit aftercooler setup. I was about to buy one a few weeks ago, when the lack of tuning support stopped me dead in my tracks. But, I will make it happen.

ECU Number: 37820-R9B-A21 G922-100614 A3C
The following users liked this post:
k24ilx (07-12-2015)
Old 07-12-2015, 03:40 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
glad someone found my post on hondata, lets make it happen

ECU Number : 37820-R9B-A21 G922-100349 A3C
Old 07-12-2015, 08:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
Its not that the ECU is different. It is just that hondata hasnt put money into testing that specific year ECU. The way hondata views your car is very specific. And the way hondata makes their product caters ONLY to that specific year.

Ktuner however has informed me it would be very easy for them to make their tuning unit for a Civic k24 work for the ILX k24. I would assume the same is for flashpro but flashpro is more big time so they want to see 100 interested parties before they do ANY research where as ktuner will hear from one person and ask them to show up for testing.

Flashpro, as a company, is all about making money. They no longer "truly care about the tuner." They care about their pockets like most companies.

Contact Ktuner Joe. They even wanted to help me tune my 2013 R20.
Old 07-15-2015, 10:09 PM
Intermediate

The problem Jon, is that Vit says that even with full Ktuner compatibility, that there is no injector support or forced induction support. So, even when Ktuner comes on board, it will help for exhaust, intake and the like...but not for Turbos or Superchargers.

Kturner is an option for bolt ons, and it's HIGHLY NEEDED if Hondata doesn't add support, but it won't help the people who want to go forced induction.

We just need to keep rally'n the troops and get as much noise being made over at Hondata as possible for forced induction.

We have a Ktuner thread going to over there..and they are MUCH more optimistic about adding support soon.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:40 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by jblively
The problem Jon, is that Vit says that even with full Ktuner compatibility, that there is no injector support or forced induction support. So, even when Ktuner comes on board, it will help for exhaust, intake and the like...but not for Turbos or Superchargers.

Kturner is an option for bolt ons, and it's HIGHLY NEEDED if Hondata doesn't add support, but it won't help the people who want to go forced induction.

We just need to keep rally'n the troops and get as much noise being made over at Hondata as possible for forced induction.

We have a Ktuner thread going to over there..and they are MUCH more optimistic about adding support soon.
Hondata flashpro has nothing to do with forced induction. You need yo reach out to companies that actually make turbos and superchargers.

Most is to my knowledge is not car specific the way hondata is. Hondata will workbon a 2013 but not 2014 even if iy is literally the same car. That model year makes the comouter not work. That is how hondata is developed.

Ktuner is more open yo be rewritten for other models or they are simply more willing to make that effort.

You can contact jackson racing, ct, kraft, or garrett and get a kit made.
Old 07-17-2015, 12:05 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by usdmJON
Hondata flashpro has nothing to do with forced induction. You need yo reach out to companies that actually make turbos and superchargers.

Most is to my knowledge is not car specific the way hondata is. Hondata will workbon a 2013 but not 2014 even if iy is literally the same car. That model year makes the comouter not work. That is how hondata is developed.

Ktuner is more open yo be rewritten for other models or they are simply more willing to make that effort.

You can contact jackson racing, ct, kraft, or garrett and get a kit made.
"Ktuner can tune basic bolt ons, but there's no injector support, no forced induction support, no speed density, etc., which mean's it's not an option for a supercharger or turbo set up."

i think thats what he meant..
usdmJON (07-17-2015)
Old 07-17-2015, 12:22 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by k24ilx
"Ktuner can tune basic bolt ons, but there's no injector support, no forced induction support, no speed density, etc., which mean's it's not an option for a supercharger or turbo set up."

hmmmm. I have not tuned a vehicle with ktuner before. I honestly assumed the ktuner option would tune any mods on the car it was made for.

So youre telling me ktuner's tuning option can tune simple bolt ons only while the flashpro tuning option can tune simple bolt ons AND FI and injectors?

If so then boooooo ktuner. Booooo. But honestly I wont be boosting my car any time soon so ktuner would still be an option as of now. I honestly wouldnt consider boosting the car until after all payments are done AND Im on bags.
Old 07-17-2015, 12:23 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by k24ilx

Yup. I don't know much about it...I was just quoting exactly what Vit told me. I know that the components will fit and everything will bolt up as the manufacturer designed it (ct, kraft, garrett , etc) but it doesn't do us a bit of good if we can't tune for bigger injectors and everything we should be adjusting so it can work with forced induction.

Again, I'm just learning about the turning aspect. I'm used to old chevy's and besides an MSD ignition, it was pretty much bolt on and go. So I'm replying on what Vit told me. Unless Hondata gets support for the 15 ILX, it's going to be hard to add the CT blower.
usdmJON (07-17-2015)
Old 07-17-2015, 12:24 AM
Suzuka Master

Yup. I don't know much about it...I was just quoting exactly what Vit told me. I know that the components will fit and everything will bolt up as the manufacturer designed it (ct, kraft, garrett , etc) but it doesn't do us a bit of good if we can't tune for bigger injectors and everything we should be adjusting so it can work with forced induction.

Again, I'm just learning about the turning aspect. I'm used to old chevy's and besides an MSD ignition, it was pretty much bolt on and go. So I'm replying on what Vit told me. Unless Hondata gets support for the 15 ILX, it's going to be hard to add the CT blower.

Or people can just push for Ktuner to get injector/fi support. Ktuner seems to 100% be down to push and innovate. Flashpro will ONLY innovate if they see dollar signs.
Old 07-17-2015, 12:25 AM
Intermediate

hmmmm. I have not tuned a vehicle with ktuner before. I honestly assumed the ktuner option would tune any mods on the car it was made for.

So youre telling me ktuner's tuning option can tune simple bolt ons only while the flashpro tuning option can tune simple bolt ons AND FI and injectors?

If so then boooooo ktuner. Booooo. But honestly I wont be boosting my car any time soon so ktuner would still be an option as of now. I honestly wouldnt consider boosting the car until after all payments are done AND Im on bags.
Jon...I assumed the EXACT same thing. When I brought Ktuner up to Vit...he filled me in that ktuner is very limited in what it can actually tune. And that it would not work for adding the CT blower.

I was pretty disappointed.
Old 07-17-2015, 12:25 AM
Intermediate

Or people can just push for Ktuner to get injector/fi support. Ktuner seems to 100% be down to push and innovate. Flashpro will ONLY innovate if they see dollar signs.
Now....that's another route too....
Old 07-17-2015, 12:40 AM
Suzuka Master

Jon...I assumed the EXACT same thing. When I brought Ktuner up to Vit...he filled me in that ktuner is very limited in what it can actually tune. And that it would not work for adding the CT blower.

I was pretty disappointed.
Frankly I am kind of erked that I almost bought the ktuner test unit thinking I could go FI in the future and now hear I may not have been able to if ktuner never developed injector/fi support. I wonder if they would have even mentioning that before clicking purchase. hmmmmm

Vit seems to be like a good guy. Obviously he is very knowledgeable. But it seems further than he'd rather help a tuner out than make money off them. As well his name is quite literally everywhere that honda is. Hope that just never gets to the man's head.

Now....that's another route too....

They were down to give support to those that flashpro didnt so maybe they will support fi/injectors if they see thats what we want.
Old 07-17-2015, 12:44 AM
Intermediate

Frankly I am kind of erked that I almost bought the ktuner test unit thinking I could go FI in the future and now hear I may not have been able to if ktuner never developed injector/fi support. I wonder if they would have even mentioning that before clicking purchase. hmmmmm

Vit seems to be like a good guy. Obviously he is very knowledgeable. But it seems further than he'd rather help a tuner out than make money off them. As well his name is quite literally everywhere that honda is. Hope that just never gets to the man's head.

They were down to give support to those that flashpro didnt so maybe they will support fi/injectors if they see thats what we want.
I haven't met him in person (he's only 30 minutes from here) but he had taken lots of time guiding me in the right direction. Heck, he talked me OUT of buying a full CT kit and after cooler because there wasn't support yet for my car. (At the time, I assumed hondata 13/14 would work..or at the minimum...Ktuner). From what I've seen, he's definitely a guy who is doing it right...and I haven't paid him a dime....YET.
Old 02-15-2018, 06:03 PM
4th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I posted this information on another thread (2015 ILX tuned with Ktuner), but I should have put the information here in the first place.

If you want to tune your 2015 ILX 2.4 for forced induction with Hondata, you need to change out the ECU.

I bought a new 2014 ILX ECU (37820-R9B-A03) from an online Acura parts store, had my local Acura dealer remove the 2015 ECU (37820-R9B-A21) and install/program the A03 ECU to the car.

Works perfectly and is now ready for Hondata as the A03 ECU is supported. The ECU will cost you about $700 and another $160 for one hour of labor at the dealership (I know- it probably took them 5 min.).

Hope this helps someone.
justnspace (02-19-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 02:28 AM
Suzuka Master

You were probably better of with the other thread than a thread from 3 years ago.

Have you made a build thread? Why am I asking I can just check...
Old 02-19-2018, 09:59 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Originally Posted by 15ilx2.4
I posted this information on another thread (2015 ILX tuned with Ktuner), but I should have put the information here in the first place.

If you want to tune your 2015 ILX 2.4 for forced induction with Hondata, you need to change out the ECU.

I bought a new 2014 ILX ECU (37820-R9B-A03) from an online Acura parts store, had my local Acura dealer remove the 2015 ECU (37820-R9B-A21) and install/program the A03 ECU to the car.

Works perfectly and is now ready for Hondata as the A03 ECU is supported. The ECU will cost you about $700 and another $160 for one hour of labor at the dealership (I know- it probably took them 5 min.).

Hope this helps someone.
Don't be afraid of Used ECU's either.
went this route for my 2006 TL...brand new ECU's are $500-700, I scored a used one for $110. If you can find them..took me a while to find a used one
Old 02-19-2018, 02:06 PM
Intermediate

You were probably better of with the other thread than a thread from 3 years ago.

Have you made a build thread? Why am I asking I can just check...
I'm glad he posted it here...as I had it subscribed.

I just converted my lease to a purchase about 3 weeks ago. This is great news to hear! Thanks again. Priorities have shifted a bit, but know that I know it's possible, I'll start resaving for this.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:54 AM
4th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
usdmjon- you figured this out by now, but no build thread. I very new to forums and such and have been using 9th gen civic to buy used parts and gather information. I think I have posted three times

on this site and once on 9th gen civic. That is the extent of my experience.

If I do not open a build thread, I will post some pictures here once I have everything installed. I don't believe anyone has installed an aftercooler on an ILX, so I will share any problems I run into

mounting the pump or LTR. Pretty sure everything is in the same place as the Civic Si though.

I hope other people have better luck finding a used ECU, I tried for a couple months. Not many manual trans. 2014 ILX's (US models) are out there, and from what I could tell by

comparing part numbers, only the 2014 ECU is guaranteed to be compatible.

Who knows, the earlier ECU's (A01, A02) may work, but I wasn't willing to take the risk.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:24 PM
Suzuka Master

I'm glad he posted it here...as I had it subscribed.

I just converted my lease to a purchase about 3 weeks ago. This is great news to hear! Thanks again. Priorities have shifted a bit, but know that I know it's possible, I'll start resaving for this.

WHOOOOA Mind blown first time Ive seen a thread res from that long gone bring back the OP. Thats awesome. hahaha
Old 02-23-2018, 02:36 PM
Intermediate

WHOOOOA Mind blown first time Ive seen a thread res from that long gone bring back the OP. Thats awesome. hahaha
That's cool. I actually bought some wheel spacers from you a few years ago, and they are still going strong! I still lurk here every now and again to see what people are doing with their ILXs. Now that's it's "mine" and not on lease, I can start doing more of what I wanted. Lowering, Tint, supercharger, etc.
Old 02-23-2018, 03:16 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vtech

You need a different cylinder head. motoiq has a 3 part video on how to build one. Part 1 goes over the cylinder head definitely worth a watch.
Old 02-23-2018, 03:19 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not a video just a magazine read 🤗

Sorry 😐 thought it was a video.