AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   ILX (https://acurazine.com/forums/ilx-382/)
-   -   Some Updates to the Whip.... (https://acurazine.com/forums/ilx-382/some-updates-whip-908967/)

Triscuit 04-12-2014 01:14 PM

Some Updates to the Whip....

2 Attachment(s)
From this... 25MM spacers all around

Attachment 90947

to this...

Attachment 90948

18x8 +44 Volk RE30 20MM spacer in front 25MM in rear. Lowered on H&R springs and an 13' Si rear sway bar. Spring is finally here!

usdmJON 04-12-2014 01:25 PM

Looking great! Love the re30s! Any close up shots of the wheels.
They need some center caps.
Where they brand new or used?

Triscuit 04-12-2014 01:37 PM

I'll take some close ups later. They were used powder coated white bought them for $1,600. I was never really a center cap guy, but I might look into the flat ones.

usdmJON 04-12-2014 01:47 PM

Fuuuck that's a great price for some re30s. I'm jealous. One of my favorite wheels.

Any future plans?
And it's a 2.4 I assume?

Triscuit 04-12-2014 01:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by usdmJON (Post 14963490)
Fuuuck that's a great price for some re30s. I'm jealous. One of my favorite wheels.

Any future plans?
And it's a 2.4 I assume?

Yea it was a steal and that was shipped. The guy was sitting on them for over a year trying to sell them. Yea it's a 2.4L I plan on getting Flash Pro and a tune for the time being. Then supporting mods Down pipe and Cold Air Intake. After I'll drop in a Recaro Pole position. My head hits the ceiling over bumps (6'3").

Here are some close-ups of the wheels and a side profile to see where it meets the fender. The tires are 225/40/18.

Attachment 90949

Attachment 90950

veeedub 04-12-2014 02:13 PM

Looks great! How's the rides after the sway bar? Do you think you'd wanna go thicker?

Triscuit 04-12-2014 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by veeedub (Post 14963506)
Looks great! How's the rides after the sway bar? Do you think you'd wanna go thicker?

It makes a difference, but I feel like I can go thicker (thatswhatshesaid). I'm thinking either the 22mm or 24mm Progress rear sway. I have to break in the tires to fully test all the components together.

usdmJON 04-12-2014 04:25 PM

So the sway bar is an oem si sway bar? How much thicker is that from our stock? I believe we shared the same sway bar.

Progress recently told a TL owner that had his subframe ruined by their (i believe) 24mm sway bar that they were reducing the size in further sway bar production. That they could not find a way to brace the subframe and would simply change future sway bars in order to take some of the force off the subframe in future applications. Then offered a 50% discount on the smaller bar.

If the si is around 19-20mm Id go as big as 22mm and stop. I myself would rather just run 19-20mm and call it a day.

Why wouldn't you want Volk Racing center caps? Id whip my wallet out for some authentic caps if I was rockin Volks. Maybe if youre worried about thieves I can see some flat white caps looking great on there. The size is perfect. Not too crazy but super functional for the power you have and fitment.

Are you going to flashpro before the addition of an intake and exhaust mods? Wouldn't you want to retune it then after? Wouldnt it be more beneficial to do the supporting mods before the flashpro/tune?

They've developed a flashpro for the r18 so Ive got my fingers crossed one is developed for the r20. Until then Ill have time to complete my exhaust and look into a lot more suspension and cosmetic work.

Triscuit 04-12-2014 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by usdmJON (Post 14963616)
So the sway bar is an oem si sway bar? How much thicker is that from our stock? I believe we shared the same sway bar.

Progress recently told a TL owner that had his subframe ruined by their (i believe) 24mm sway bar that they were reducing the size in further sway bar production. That they could not find a way to brace the subframe and would simply change future sway bars in order to take some of the force off the subframe in future applications. Then offered a 50% discount on the smaller bar.

If the si is around 19-20mm Id go as big as 22mm and stop. I myself would rather just run 19-20mm and call it a day.

Why wouldn't you want Volk Racing center caps? Id whip my wallet out for some authentic caps if I was rockin Volks. Maybe if youre worried about thieves I can see some flat white caps looking great on there. The size is perfect. Not too crazy but super functional for the power you have and fitment.

Are you going to flashpro before the addition of an intake and exhaust mods? Wouldn't you want to retune it then after? Wouldnt it be more beneficial to do the supporting mods before the flashpro/tune?

They've developed a flashpro for the r18 so Ive got my fingers crossed one is developed for the r20. Until then Ill have time to complete my exhaust and look into a lot more suspension and cosmetic work.

I've already spent about $2,500 I doubt the wife would let me spend anymore on center caps. The Si bar is 18mm ours is 14mm. Our rear sway is not connected to the subframe directly there are brackets in between. Which is good because I doubt it would tear the frame.

VIt has a post showing how much power is gained with a stock motor and tune. I believe the final numbers were 182whp. I don't plan on getting the down pipe and cai until next year, so the tune will have to do. I really want to get the seat first, but coming from an '07 TL Type-S I need some power in my life. :thumbsup:

duce2k 04-12-2014 10:21 PM

Rims look good buddy

usdmJON 04-12-2014 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Triscuit (Post 14963760)
I've already spent about $2,500 I doubt the wife would let me spend anymore on center caps. The Si bar is 18mm ours is 14mm. Our rear sway is not connected to the subframe directly there are brackets in between. Which is good because I doubt it would tear the frame.

VIt has a post showing how much power is gained with a stock motor and tune. I believe the final numbers were 182whp. I don't plan on getting the down pipe and cai until next year, so the tune will have to do. I really want to get the seat first, but coming from an '07 TL Type-S I need some power in my life. :thumbsup:

I guess head room beats a warm ass any day. haha

Good info right there Ill have to put those sway sizes to memory. 14mm is small as hell. The SI 18mm sounds like a great addition. I may go Eibach instead becaust I believe they have a 19 or 20mm option which I think will be perfect!
And being married changes the game completely so props being able to do what you want while maintaining a relationship.

Triscuit 04-13-2014 06:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by usdmJON (Post 14963904)
I guess head room beats a warm ass any day. haha

Good info right there Ill have to put those sway sizes to memory. 14mm is small as hell. The SI 18mm sounds like a great addition. I may go Eibach instead becaust I believe they have a 19 or 20mm option which I think will be perfect!
And being married changes the game completely so props being able to do what you want while maintaining a relationship.

20mm would be perfect. All you need are the new bushings and brackets. You can re-use your same end links. A cloth seat wouldn't get as cold in the winter. The driver side is the only powered seat so then I'll be even haha.

This is her old car so I married the right girl, she understands :thumbsup:

Attachment 90951

justnspace 04-13-2014 06:27 AM

Nice!! i'm lovin' the white wheel theme so much that I just picked up a set of white wheels
:whistle:

justnspace 04-13-2014 06:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 90952

I love the angle of this shot.
the shape of the window sills and the color and design of the wheels make it look like a BMW almost.
makes the car look long and sleek!
:thumbsup:

Triscuit 04-13-2014 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by justnspace (Post 14964077)
Nice!! i'm lovin' the white wheel theme so much that I just picked up a set of white wheels
:whistle:

Lots of people rock white cars with black wheels, why not switch it up. You do have to wash them every week which is a pain, but it's the same with black cars.

Even though they're on the same chassis as the civic all of the pillars were pushed back and lowered. Changes the look completely.

justnspace 04-13-2014 08:29 AM

I picked up a set of Volk Te37's in white with the perfect specs ever.
18x9.5 +22

I'll be joining the white wheel crew soon enough!

Triscuit 04-13-2014 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by justnspace (Post 14964134)
I picked up a set of Volk Te37's in white with the perfect specs ever.
18x9.5 +22

I'll be joining the white wheel crew soon enough!

The best size out there. I was gonna rock that same set-up on my old TL. They clear the Brembo brakes and you don't need that much camber. What size tires are you planning on running on them?

justnspace 04-13-2014 09:57 AM

the wheels came off an evo and the current tires are 245/45/18's.
crappy all seasons.
I do have a 2006 6MT TL with the brembos

i'll probably ride on the all seasons for a bit, then upgrade to a summer tire down the road.

terdonal 04-13-2014 10:20 AM

Looks great.

Triscuit 04-13-2014 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by justnspace (Post 14964189)
the wheels came off an evo and the current tires are 245/45/18's.
crappy all seasons.
I do have a 2006 6MT TL with the brembos

i'll probably ride on the all seasons for a bit, then upgrade to a summer tire down the road.

Yup wear those tires down until you need to replace. I can't wait to see pics send me a link when you put them on. Please don't make me regret selling mine :bawling:

4cruizn 04-13-2014 03:24 PM

Very nice updates! :thumbsup:

Triscuit 04-14-2014 07:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A new picture. I love this angle.

Attachment 90953

aomechmarine 04-15-2014 07:23 PM

Wheel size looks great. Not my style tho, not trying to hate, I just have a black ILX, and I wouldn't go for that rim style. I also really like the flush fitment. I would recommend changing the lug nuts to something else too. Purple looks faddish on your car, and I also don't see what else it matches on your car. It would look more refined with chrome, black, or white lugnuts. I also would recommend the center caps. I would also recommend those in black, chrome or white. If you were to change the color of your brake caliper to purple or get aftermarket ones like the D2 racing big brake kit(it's purple), then the purple lugs would make more sense.

aomechmarine 04-15-2014 09:33 PM

Also thanks for posting about stock wheels, H&R springs drop, and the 25mm spacers all around setup. No one else has posted pics/ reviews of this combo. You were the first one to actually comment whether or not that setup rubs or not (at least on this forum, and many others I've checked). Would appreciate more pics if you have them. Wheel/drop/spacer/flushness/fitment mods require MUCH more then other mods. Many other mods are simply bolt-on - set it and forget it. Thanks for the R&D.

aomechmarine 04-15-2014 09:38 PM

Questions about current setup - Do your wheels rub now? Why did you go with 20mm up front? Was it going to rub? How much do you feel the difference in handling with the wider wheels and tires?

Triscuit 04-16-2014 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by aomechmarine (Post 14968232)
Questions about current setup - Do your wheels rub now? Why did you go with 20mm up front? Was it going to rub? How much do you feel the difference in handling with the wider wheels and tires?

The rears rub on hard bumps only. The reason I went with 20mm up front because with the 25mm and an 8 inch wheel it stuck out past the fender just a tad. I could have stuck with the 25mm and added more camber, but decided to go this route instead.

With the stock wheels and 25mm all around it never rubbed at stock height or lowered. Even with people in the car. It's a great setup if anyone is thinking to get it.

I do have black lug nuts and red ones as well. I was just trying on the purple ones because I can. I will most likely switch them out for the red ones. I plan on getting steel brake lines and spoon calipers so I'm not sure any color but the black ones would flow. Thanks for the positive criticism. As for center caps I'm still on the fence, but I'll see.

aomechmarine 04-16-2014 01:58 PM

I think red lugs might actually look good too. The wheels look good either way. Best example I could give is - I like brunettes. But I would still notice a sexy blond looks good, she just wouldn't be my type.

usdmJON 04-16-2014 02:26 PM

I think black would look better than red but Id say stay purple. Looks fine on the black. Sure it doesnt match anything... YET. Throw a purple air freshener in there, maybe a purple shift knob and a purple beaks bar and call it a day!

Triscuit 04-16-2014 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by aomechmarine (Post 14969406)
I think red lugs might actually look good too. The wheels look good either way. Best example I could give is - I like brunettes. But I would still notice a sexy blond looks good, she just wouldn't be my type.

Yea I feel ya, it's just personal preference. I gotta read reviews of those D2 calipers.

Jon- Does Beaks make a purple rear tie bar? I'll just hang my daughters purple shoes from the rear view mirror haha.

usdmJON 04-16-2014 05:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Triscuit (Post 14969735)
Jon- Does Beaks make a purple rear tie bar? I'll just hang my daughters purple shoes from the rear view mirror haha.

:thumbsup: @ shoes
:thumbsup:@ purple tiebar

Attachment 90956
http://www.9thgencivic.com/forum/gro...group-buy.html

aomechmarine 04-16-2014 07:46 PM

i think Jon nailed. Color matched details or accessories would set the car off man. Would look outstanding.

Triscuit 04-17-2014 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by usdmJON (Post 14969866)

I'd get red and switch to the red lugs. Since my interior gauges are red as well as my shift knob.

usdmJON 04-17-2014 10:24 AM

For sure.

Keep in mind all 2.4s have the red cluster and will be going red accenting as well. Already got Saadat with red calipers red decals red caps lugs and a bunch of red in the bay on a black car at the same height as you on black 19in hre reps.

rastaracer 04-17-2014 11:32 AM

Nice and clean

Triscuit 04-17-2014 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by usdmJON (Post 14970917)
For sure.

Keep in mind all 2.4s have the red cluster and will be going red accenting as well. Already got Saadat with red calipers red decals red caps lugs and a bunch of red in the bay on a black car at the same height as you on black 19in hre reps.

I'll have to look him up. I gotta find out if going with a bigger diameter but lighter weight wheels lowers your MPG.

aomechmarine 04-17-2014 02:43 PM

Not sure he'd be the person to ask - HRE reps - so they are probably heavy as hell. Probably worse MPG. Generally speaking, your MPG will improve with lighter wheels. Bigger diameter tends to lower, so it should roughly be a wash or little to no difference if you go bigger and lighter. MAYBE still improve MPG if wheels are drastically lighter.

justnspace 04-20-2014 03:13 PM

Hey Triscuit!
I remember you asking to see my car when I finished putting on the rims.
here ya go!
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-photograph-gallery-96/te37-3-a-909525/

Triscuit 04-21-2014 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by justnspace (Post 14975237)
Hey Triscuit!
I remember you asking to see my car when I finished putting on the rims.
here ya go!
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=909525

Just saw. Man you really make me miss mine. Looks soooo good even in silver :tongue:

Triscuit 08-18-2014 10:34 AM

I forgot to post this picture. It's of my Bride Vios Sport. I have it mounted to a 9th gen buddy club rail. The head clearance is amazing no more touching over bumps.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...A7736E6235.jpg

Triscuit 04-19-2015 08:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It's been a long time since I've updated this thread, so I thought I start with a little teaser. I don't do narrow tires the specs are 18x9.5 +28 255/35/18 18x8.5 +30 245/40/18.

One picture for now...

Attachment 70505