Some Advice Please....

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 11:31 PM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Some Advice Please....

I have been trying to purchase an Acura ILX Tech Plus Aspec Model for the past few weeks. It seems to be a nightmare. I live in the Houston area and had visited one dealership that had the exact options and color (graphite luster) I wanted, but I didn't really feel like I was getting a good deal at as I was only able to negotiate them down to 34,449 +TTL. I went ahead and visited another dealership in the area - they had the model I wanted, just not the color. They stated they had a current order for the vehicle I wanted and it should arrive in 2 weeks. I made a deal for $34,000 + TTL and signed paperwork for that vehicle and VIN number. They stated I could get a loaner when we were about 1 week out from delivery. I called them the next week to get my loaner, and they stated they had another vehicle redirected and I may get my vehicle sooner. For all intents and purposes I still thought I was getting a vehicle off the truck.

Come to find out when I actually go to pick up my vehicle, that it was a dealer trade with 134 miles, it also had a paint scratch on the hood in 2 places where it looks like a rock hit it. They also stated they added window tinting for me last night free of charge to make up for the mileage. The dealer assured me they would fix it and that I could keep the loaner and inspect the vehicle afterwards as it was to rain. They also agreed to knock off an additional $200 for the mileage.

I found the vehicle they were trying to sell me on the dealers website from which it was traded and it already had tinting on it. This may be the only new vehicle I ever buy, am I in my right to be this picky? They also told me that the vehicle I had ordered was sent to another dealer as part of this trade - they stated they were trying to do me a favor by getting my vehicle faster. I don't see this as my vehicle - it is a vehicle they are trying to sell me in lieu of the vehicle I purchased. If I chose not to purchase this vehicle the dealership advised that they will take the loaner away and it will not be until May 30 until I get my car.

So I guess the main question is above. Should I be this picky? There is already paint damage to the vehicle before I take possession. I know 134 miles isn't a big deal in the big scheme of things, but I feel those break in miles were stolen from me. My main concern is the paint damage on the hood that they said they would "spot paint". I really don't know what to do as I don't want to be without a vehicle for over a month. Any advice would be appreciated. Oh btw I did think about going back to the car that was 34499 - but it was sold >.<
Old 04-29-2015, 05:50 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would not put up with that kind of nonsense. You will likely never be truly happy with that vehicle knowing it started out with paint work being done before you even take it. I would not be as concerned about the mileage but paint work would bother me. If this is really going to be your 'one and only' new car purchase what difference does it make if you wait a month for the car you actually want?
Old 04-29-2015, 11:06 AM
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
You are in the right for sure. When I picked up my ILX it had 3 miles on it all of the protective wrapping. I was the first and only to test drive - no better feeling when buying a new car
Old 04-29-2015, 11:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,577 Likes on 6,627 Posts
Wait. don't take that BS from them. Don't settle.
Old 04-29-2015, 11:30 AM
C8N
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 109 Posts
Don't settle.
I assume they wrote down the VIN of the vehicle that is in order on your contract? You should have full rights to that vehicle.
Old 04-29-2015, 12:19 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
ALL this nonsense and drama for $449????
The following users liked this post:
weather (05-09-2015)
Old 04-29-2015, 12:22 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by open contact
Trust me I would have gone back to the other dealer if they still had the car. I was willing to wait 2 weeks to get $499 off the purchase price. The problem is deception and shady sales people. Now that I have made my decision, they want me to bring the loaner back ASAP. I am trying to arrange at least a ride home - not successful so far.
Old 04-29-2015, 12:42 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kailyn
Trust me I would have gone back to the other dealer if they still had the car. I was willing to wait 2 weeks to get $499 off the purchase price. The problem is deception and shady sales people. Now that I have made my decision, they want me to bring the loaner back ASAP. I am trying to arrange at least a ride home - not successful so far.
i had a very bad experience buying my TLX, and I have mentioned it in my other posts for a luxury brand, Acura sales team and service leaves a lot to be desired.

nothing will stop them to make a sale. lying and deception is an integral part of their game.

I had agreed on a price and a color, drove 60 min to find out the color i wanted was "just sold". They are happy to sell me something similar. Fudge them all.
Old 04-29-2015, 12:47 PM
10th Gear

i had a very bad experience buying my TLX, and I have mentioned it in my other posts for a luxury brand, Acura sales team and service leaves a lot to be desired.

nothing will stop them to make a sale. lying and deception is an integral part of their game.

I had agreed on a price and a color, drove 60 min to find out the color i wanted was "just sold". They are happy to sell me something similar. Fudge them all.
If I ever get this car, these guys are going to get a survey that is going to reflect this drama.
Old 04-29-2015, 12:50 PM
Instructor

Just to document and if enough people complain, Acura may do something.

Call the Acura client care, tell them how the dealership been lying to you and how frustrated you are with them.
Old 04-29-2015, 12:53 PM
C8N
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 109 Posts
The OP said this purchase may be the only new car buying experience. So that perception of a good deal would be important I assume.
Old 04-29-2015, 01:41 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by C8N
The OP said this purchase may be the only new car buying experience. So that perception of a good deal would be important I assume.
Ohhhhh OOOkay.

449/34449= .01

Last edited by open contact; 04-29-2015 at 01:43 PM.
Old 04-29-2015, 01:44 PM
Instructor

Old 04-29-2015, 02:31 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Another that agree's with you. If a purchase like this is a big deal (as it should be!) to you then yes, don't except it. Although at some point, if they lower the price enough and/or you get them to throw in a spare tire kit I might think about it.

Most dealerships are getting a lot of these now so you shouldn't have a hard time finding one you want. Another thing to think about, if your buying the Tech package just for the navigation system and already own an iPhone, then using the Acura iPhone navigation App system might save you quite a bit of money. Works perfect for us and saved a bunch of money.
Old 04-29-2015, 11:58 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Drake3287
Another that agree's with you. If a purchase like this is a big deal (as it should be!) to you then yes, don't except it. Although at some point, if they lower the price enough and/or you get them to throw in a spare tire kit I might think about it.

Most dealerships are getting a lot of these now so you shouldn't have a hard time finding one you want. Another thing to think about, if your buying the Tech package just for the navigation system and already own an iPhone, then using the Acura iPhone navigation App system might save you quite a bit of money. Works perfect for us and saved a bunch of money.
I thought about this as I do have an iPhone, however I traveled cross country last year with it when I moved from Seattle to Houston. I ran into a lot of instances where the phone could not connect (ATT) that it also impacted the use of the GPS. Since then I have been very reluctant to only rely on phone GPS.
Old 04-30-2015, 12:38 PM
Advanced

The Acura iPhone system uses the same Acura mapping system as the "built-in" system, not the Apple or Google system. When you purchase and download the Acura map app, it contains the same mapping program.

If your like most people and only need the navigation once and awhile, then it's perfect. The system is even better then the stock Sync system I have in my newer F150. I've already used this IPhone system in San Francisco, San Diego and Reno and everything was spot on.

The dealership I bought my car from didn't even know how well this system worked until I showed them. They thought the system didn't do re-routing automatically until I showed them it did. Also, because the app costs $59.99 from the app store, you can easily share the app by using the Apple Family share feature. No need to purchase a second app for a spouse.
Old 05-01-2015, 01:54 AM
10th Gear

Now that I have chosen to wait for the next new vehicle when it comes in - looks like it goes into production on May 2 and should arrive sometime around May 30. I bought a bicycle today to help me get to and from work. At this point I don't believe I have a contract on any vehicle as the VIN on my contract is a vehicle they will never receive. Do you think I should shop around to see if any other of the 3 Acura dealerships in the area will get one before then?
Old 05-01-2015, 05:40 AM
3rd Gear

Did you give them a deposit for the order? If you did you need to check on whether it's refundable, and under what circumstances. If you did sign a purchase agreement you need to read it before you do anything else. Now that you have decided to get one 'fresh off the truck' what do you think the odds are that you'll do better elsewhere? If shopping it around makes you feel better then why not? However, I fear that you would be setting yourself up for the same run-around at the other locations.

Sad to say but most dealerships are just very difficult to deal with. In all my years buying vehicles I can say I never had a completely pleasant experience. It's an adverserial transaction by nature and the dealership service departments are not far behind on that score.
Old 05-01-2015, 12:42 PM
Advanced

By all means shop around if you still can. When I stopped by my dealer the other day they had several on the lot.
Old 05-01-2015, 03:29 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by jjr2012
Did you give them a deposit for the order? If you did you need to check on whether it's refundable, and under what circumstances. If you did sign a purchase agreement you need to read it before you do anything else. Now that you have decided to get one 'fresh off the truck' what do you think the odds are that you'll do better elsewhere? If shopping it around makes you feel better then why not? However, I fear that you would be setting yourself up for the same run-around at the other locations.
According tot he dealer I'm working with currently - Acura does not do Orders. You just have to work with that is coming in their inventory. I did give a size-able deposit on a credit card, with the intent to come in when the vehicle was ready and put even more down. This larger sum is included in the sales contract along with a specific VIN. I would hope that since the dealer was unable to provide me with the vehicle I purchased, that any deposit would be refundable. As of now I am being told I would have to come in once the new vehicle VIN number comes up in their database to sign a new contract.

I can't remember if I wrote this before - but I was told by the sales guy when they came to pick up the loaner from my place of employment when we asked about shopping around in the meantime, he said we would be unable to get the same price elsewhere and that his manager only allowed us the price we got to help him out with his April sales numbers as he was low. If this is true, it kind of explains why they tried to get me a different vehicle before the end of April. Still a bait and switch imo.
Old 05-01-2015, 05:21 PM
3rd Gear

Hi, seems to me like the best play is to just get the car from them and move on then. You will never see these sales folks again after the keys are in your hand anyway. I think the line about the price is complete BS, as it is in most cases. I'm not saying ALL sales folks are full of it but I would not take too much of what I hear as gospel.

Anyway, try to get this deal done and enjoy the car and I wish you all the best of luck and happy motoring.
Old 05-01-2015, 05:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
I found the vehicle they were trying to sell me on the dealers website from which it was traded and it already had tinting on it. This may be the only new vehicle I ever buy, am I in my right to be this picky?
Generally if a car has been traded in, it's been titled and would be a used car.
- looks like it goes into production on May 2 and should arrive sometime around May 30. At this point I don't believe I have a contract on any vehicle as the VIN on my contract is a vehicle they will never receive.
If the car hasn't been built, it won't have a VIN
According tot he dealer I'm working with currently - Acura does not do Orders. You just have to work with that is coming in their inventory. I did give a size-able deposit on a credit card, with the intent to come in when the vehicle was ready and put even more down.
Technically not true. Dealers order cars but only once a month so it can take 2-3 months to fill an order. More likely, there was already the combo you want on order that would arrive first. This is what they meant.

From what I see the following have or will have Premium A-spec in Graphite:

GOODSON ACURA OF DALLAS, DALLAS TX (972)554-0505
JOHN EAGLE ACURA, HOUSTON TX (281)589-0600
STERLING MCCALL ACURA, HOUSTON TX (713)596-2300
GILLMAN ACURA, HOUSTON TX (281)821-1100
DAVID MCDAVID ACURA OF AUSTIN, AUSTIN TX (512)335-5555
DAVID MCDAVID ACURA, PLANO TX (972)964-6000
MAC CHURCHILL ACURA, FORT WORTH TX (817)232-2872
GUNN ACURA, SAN ANTONIO TX (210)696-2232
Old 05-01-2015, 06:31 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Colin
From what I see the following have or will have Premium A-spec in Graphite:
And hence lies the problem. I'm looking for a specific color and type.

Graphite Luster
Tech Plus + Aspec
Old 05-01-2015, 06:39 PM
Suzuka Master

And hence lies the problem. I'm looking for a specific color and type.

Graphite Luster
Tech Plus + Aspec
Sorry, misread your post, I thought it was Premium A-Spec. These are the Tech A-Spec Graphite in your area:

VANDERGRIFF ACURA ARLINGTON TX (817)467-1000
AUTONATION ACURA GULF FREEWAY LEAGUE CITY TX (713)371-4600
GOODSON ACURA OF DALLAS DALLAS TX (972)554-0505
STERLING MCCALL ACURA HOUSTON TX (713)596-2300
GUNN ACURA SAN ANTONIO TX (210)696-2232
DAVID MCDAVID ACURA OF AUSTIN AUSTIN TX (512)335-5555
Old 05-06-2015, 03:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Any luck with those dealers?
Old 05-06-2015, 10:39 PM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
hope you got a good deal if you got the car already
Old 05-07-2015, 05:42 AM
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by jjr2012
I would not put up with that kind of nonsense. You will likely never be truly happy with that vehicle knowing it started out with paint work being done before you even take it. I would not be as concerned about the mileage but paint work would bother me. If this is really going to be your 'one and only' new car purchase what difference does it make if you wait a month for the car you actually want?
+1.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:40 PM
10th Gear

Respectful Dealership Search Over

I found my vehicle today. The salesman picked me up from my home and drove me about 45 minutes to the dealership clear on the other side of the city. They had two in stock. I test drove it with 4 miles. I received the same deal I had before which was 34k + free tint and wheel locks + TTL for a Tech Plus Aspec. It really is a beautiful car. I have some pictures from the dealership. I really could not be happier.

The following 2 users liked this post by Kailyn:
Colin (05-08-2015), kurtatx (05-09-2015)
Old 05-09-2015, 09:44 AM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Congrats! Enjoy the new car and don't let the service department get you on recommended crap. Follow the handbook and you can also use independent shops so long as there are receipts and documentation.
Old 05-09-2015, 11:08 AM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Man, the newest ILX is an enormous improvement. Congrats. Can't wait to see what Acura does with future models.
Old 05-10-2015, 04:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by kurtatx
Man, the newest ILX is an enormous improvement. Congrats. Can't wait to see what Acura does with future models.
I dont know man. On paper, sure it is a hell of an improvement.

But the way I am seeing it, as a 2013 ILX owner that cares about modding A LOT, the 2013 may be a better buy. For me anyways. Maybe for some others as well.

From what I see, the new ILX has tranny issues the previous model does not have. In fact, the brand new 2016 ILX has shown issues faster than the 2013 has. I havent heard of a tranny issue yet for the '13 '14 or '15 but I have seen two people complain about the '16 already.

No spare tire in the new ILX. That sucks.

No fog lights unless you buy the HIGHEST trim level. Lame.

New wheels are god awful.

When comparing the 2.4 ILX with the new ILX the older 2.4 will be worlds easier to mod. There is already a plethora of mods that can be done to the 2.4. Look at Aaron the Asian and his track ready 2.4. Id like to see this happen to a new '16 ilx but there is frankly no way in hell. Sure Acura may have a nice track ready '16 ilx but you wont be seeing parts for the new ILX for a very long time. The ONLY way I was able to mod my ILX was because it shares an engine with the already highly modded Civic si/r18.

Parts development for the new ILX will take far longer since it shares more with the TLX now than the Civic and the TLX wont see half the mods companies will develop for the Civic.

So in the end, the 2016 is a better car IF you have no intentions to mod it, you like the wheels, you can deal with a possible recall on the tranny or simple worrying about it, and you buy the spare tire kit.

Last edited by usdmJON; 05-10-2015 at 04:19 PM.
Old 05-11-2015, 05:55 AM
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
Congrats. And didn't have to put up with the first dealer non-sense.
Old 05-12-2015, 05:39 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thats what FORD did for me on a convertible mustang so i ended up at Acura the next day and bought my ILX off the lot. Exactly how i wanted it optioned.
Ford tried to dealer trade me with over 200 miles. I told them it had to be shipped and under 20 miles.
Old 06-03-2015, 10:04 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[QUOTE=Kailyn;15420138]I have been trying to purchase an Acura ILX Tech Plus Aspec Model for the past few weeks. It seems to be a nightmare. I live in the Houston area and had visited one dealership that had the exact options and color (graphite luster) I wanted, but I didn't really feel like I was getting a good deal at as I was only able to negotiate them down to 34,449 +TTL. I went ahead and visited another dealership in the area - they had the model I wanted, just not the color. They stated they had a current order for the vehicle I wanted and it should arrive in 2 weeks. I made a deal for $34,000 + TTL and signed paperwork for that vehicle and VIN number. They stated I could get a loaner when we were about 1 week out from delivery. I called them the next week to get my loaner, and they stated they had another vehicle redirected and I may get my vehicle sooner. For all intents and purposes I still thought I was getting a vehicle off the truck.

Come to find out when I actually go to pick up my vehicle, that it was a dealer trade with 134 miles, it also had a paint scratch on the hood in 2 places where it looks like a rock hit it. They also stated they added window tinting for me last night free of charge to make up for the mileage. The dealer assured me they would fix it and that I could keep the loaner and inspect the vehicle afterwards as it was to rain. They also agreed to knock off an additional $200 for the mileage.

I found the vehicle they were trying to sell me on the dealers website from which it was traded and it already had tinting on it. This may be the only new vehicle I ever buy, am I in my right to be this picky? They also told me that the vehicle I had ordered was sent to another dealer as part of this trade - they stated they were trying to do me a favor by getting my vehicle faster. I don't see this as my vehicle - it is a vehicle they are trying to sell me in lieu of the vehicle I purchased. If I chose not to purchase this vehicle the dealership advised that they will take the loaner away and it will not be until May 30 until I get my car.

So I guess the main question is above. Should I be this picky? There is already paint damage to the vehicle before I take possession. I know 134 miles isn't a big deal in the big scheme of things, but I feel those break in miles were stolen from me. My main concern is the paint damage on the hood that they said they would "spot paint". I really don't know what to do as I don't want to be without a vehicle for over a month. Any advice would be appreciated. Oh btw I did think about going back to the car that was 34499 - but it was sold >.<[/QUOT

Have you tried cargurus.com? I live in hawaii hence high prices. Buy cargurus helped out a lot. Almost went with a ilx from cali but the saleman was a lazy halfass so i ended up spending more cash and buying from another island.
Old 06-04-2015, 07:16 AM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Okay first off you should be as picky as you want to be if you want a brand new car. Now if you really want a certain color and model, I suggest you use this web site below. I buy new cars every 3 years and love this web site. You can see what dealerships carry the car model and color that you want.

Used Cars, New Cars, Reviews, Photos and Opinions - CarGurus