Should I keep my ILX

Old 07-07-2017, 12:23 PM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Should I keep my ILX

I have 11 months left on my lease for a 2016 ILX Premium , currently has 8,800 miles on it, runs fine w/ little signs of ware and tear. I figure that at most I will have 18k-19k miles on it after the lease ends. Buyout will be $17,177 after lease

Economically buying back the car and using it until it needs to be replaced or totaled is the best options since leasing keeps me in a continuous payment cycle. If I did buy it I would finance for 36 months and my payment would be roughly $10 more than I pay now at $354. I really like the new 2017 Honda Hatchback Sport Touring which I would need to finance for 5 years w/ a payment at $400. The hatch would have better ride quality, better utility/space, and better features but would be more expensive per month and extend my payments an extra 2 years compared to buying back an ILX. With the price difference of buying back my ILX and financing for 3 years compared to buying a loaded Civic Hatch and financing for 5 years is a difference of $10,896 roughly.

So is a brand Civic Hatch Sport Touring worth 2 extra years of payments of nearly $11k?
or should I wait for the 2nd gen ILX and lease that so cash flow for the next 2-3 years is better

I guess it should be noted I am 30, just married, looking to buy a house in the next 1-2 years. Probably will have kids in that time span too.
Old 07-07-2017, 03:08 PM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
The car enthusiast in me says get the Civic Hatch Sport Touring in the Sonic Gray Pearl color, but the practical person in me says keep the ILX. It would be more financially sound to keep the ILX and drive it until it needs replacing. You will get more of your money's worth out the ILX; however, one of my friends would say YOLO. She lives by the mantra of enjoy life to its fullest; as much as I try to do that, I can hear my father's voice in my head telling me to be more financially responsible. Ultimately, the decision is about what makes you happy; it seems that you can afford to do either. I have a 2013 ILX and my husband has a 2016 Civic Touring sedan. Everyday, I am reminded about how inferior the ILX is to current mainstream compact sedans; as a result, I have been wanting to upgrade for awhile. I have considered the TLX, Civic, and Mazda 3;however, I have decided to keep my ILX for another 2-3 years and wait until the new ILX is on the market. I am hoping that the new ILX will be much improved. I like the concept of the ILX; a compact premium FWD luxury sedan is a nice idea. I also like that Acura seems to be less expensive to maintain than other luxury brands. I am banking on the hope that the new ILX is better executed and sits well above the new Civic in terms of power and features.

I am 27, just married, and also looking for a house in the next year.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:03 PM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
hughbroome2 congratulations on getting married. Usually I would ask my wife, but her response has been, lets just get a Mercedes. With that being said she tends to be more YOLO.

Your husbands Touring sedan does he enjoy it? Anything notable he does or doesn't like?

Running through my options today at work, when I was supposed to be working, it seems I probably will stay with my ILX unless I put an unexpected amount of miles on it, the value drastically drops, or I get into some kind of accident. But it was nice to get someone else's perspective, again my wife would love a Mercedes, Audi, BMW, or Lexus but other things than a car to worry about now a days.
Old 07-09-2017, 02:08 PM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
jrasero, thank you so much! Congrats on your marriage as well. My husband likes the vehicle as a whole, but he has some issues with the fit and finish. With that said, he has an early production number. There is a rattle right above the driver's head, near the sunroof. After an extended amount of driving, the rear bumper "squeaks," which we think is coming from around the plastic clip fasteners. There is a fit/slight alignment issue with the front bumper and fender. We have since looked at 2017 models; they have better fit and finish. We have also noticed the UK built hatchback seems to have overall better fit and finish on the body panels. His CVT had the surging issue, which was fixed with a TCM update. After the CVT software update, he enjoys the car's driving dynamics, better. The CVT behaves different and makes the car more responsive. The infotainment system had issues, but that was also corrected with a software update.

I want the new Audi A4 with the virtual cockpit, but I have concerns about the cost of owning an Audi. The nearest dealer is about 100 miles from where I live. From my little experience, parts on German brands are more expensive. The nearest Acura dealer is also about 100 miles from my city; however, I can still go in to my local Honda dealer and pick up an oil filter or other commonly shared parts between Honda and Acura.

Search this Thread