Should I buy an ILX?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 03:34 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I buy an ILX?!

Hello,
Sorry if this isn't the right area for this but I need to trade in my 2006 Murano that I love due to a transmission issue, the only car that has caught my eye in my price range is the ILX. My concern is going from a decent size SUV to the ILX that is much smaller. I don't need an SUV but I live in RI and love the awd that my SUV offers. Has anyone made the switch? Are there any common issues with the ILX that I should watch out for?
Old 03-26-2017, 03:42 PM
Administrator

Received 1,002 Likes on 572 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I moved your thread so more people would see it and hopefully provide some help.
The following users liked this post:
Rob Carr (03-26-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 05:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 140 Posts
ILX and Murano are such different cars. Hard for anyone else to say what you need.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 874 Likes on 669 Posts
The ILX and Murano are very very different cars. Something I find interesting is that you say the ILX is the only car in your price range. Thing is, the ILX (no offence intended to anyone here) really has nothing on most main stream cars these days and since you are looking at something FWD it opens up A LOT of options for you. Look and shop around at some main stream mid-size sedans. Things like the Optima, fusion, sonata, accord...etc will have more room with a similar price.

I drove an ILX MANY times and trust me, it is a TIGHT car. Like it feels borderline cramped to me at 6'1. Not just that, the Murano is a mid size CUV, you will be sacrificing a lot of room. If you need the room, there are a TON of compact crossovers that have better room than your Murano with much better fuel economy, performance, and features.

Don't limit yourself, go look around.
Old 03-29-2017, 05:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
Yes you should.

Test drive it so you know that size car feels good to you and take it over some bumps as a few have expressed loud knocking sounds so a batch of ilxs must have received defective suspension parts.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:07 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Depends on which model engine and trim ILX you are considering getting
Old 03-30-2017, 05:31 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TWELVE AM
Depends on which model engine and trim ILX you are considering getting
Agreed.

2013-2015 2.4 premium if you want a manual or go with a newer 2016/17 if you want an automatic. The 2013-15 auto is great too don't get me wrong. That's what I drive and you can probably find them for a decent price now. The 2016 is just quicker with more goodies.

While I do like the jewel eyes of the 2016 I realize they wont be as friendly to my customization. The read lights are a bit too much for me as well I dislike the grill and front and rear bumper changes. Only thing in the 2016 I'd want are that engine/tranny and the center console.

Mine

Now sitting on Weds wheels while I prep to send out the Works for new lips and powdercoat.

Old 03-30-2017, 10:07 AM
Nom-nom-nom!!!

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Have you looked at the Honda CR-V with AWD?
Old 04-03-2017, 07:27 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob Carr
Hello,
Sorry if this isn't the right area for this but I need to trade in my 2006 Murano that I love due to a transmission issue, the only car that has caught my eye in my price range is the ILX. My concern is going from a decent size SUV to the ILX that is much smaller. I don't need an SUV but I live in RI and love the awd that my SUV offers. Has anyone made the switch? Are there any common issues with the ILX that I should watch out for?
I traded in my 2016 Acura RDX almost a year ago for a 2016 ILX and I live in NYC so maybe I can give you some perspective. Utility wise it is a huge step down in terms of cargo space, since with the RDX you can fit a large amount in the back and with the 2nd row down or even just part of the 60/40 split (ILX doesn't have!) it's almost cavernous. 80% of the time it's just me driving in my car alone but when I have to haul some people it can be a tad bit tight in terms of leg and head room in the back depending on who is with me. Lastly having a car with AWD in the NE is awesome but for me in NYC it only snowed enough twice this year to warrant having an SUV w/ AWD. What I like about the ILX is that it's really easy to park, very good MPG, dealer experience is much better than Tri-State Honda dealers (sleazy AF), the car is toss-able, and the 8 speed DCT is very quick and fun to drive in sport mode.

With this said I would not buy an ILX right now unless you got an unreal deal since the 10th gen Civic is pretty awesome especially in a hatchback. Also the 2nd gen ILX should be out this summer early fall and it should be a huge step up from the 2013-2017. Furthermore you have the Civic Si and Civic Type R coming out. Some other cars I would consider if you want to downsize but want AWD is VW Alltrack, VW Golf R, WRX, 2017 Impreza, Nissan Juke, Infiniti QX-30, GLA 250, A3.
aomechmarine (05-14-2017)
Old 04-04-2017, 10:50 PM
Rae Ray

Received 58 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by usdmJON

Jon, those wheels are FIRE 🔥 🔥🔥
Old 04-06-2017, 11:06 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Test drive one and see for yourself. If anything get at least the aspec version. Looks sporty! My next car maybe the 2018 TLX.
Old 04-06-2017, 11:08 PM
Instructor

At first I was tempted to trade my ILX in for another car but held onto it and now love it...
Old 04-27-2017, 02:33 PM
3rd Gear

Some nice pics in here! Let me introduce myself as a perspective buyer possibly of the ILX. I currently have a much loved Suzuki KIzashi 2012 SLS w/AWD, which I will be replacing. Its a great car by the way, but I am getting something newer and a little quicker. I'm interested in a sports sedan and since I now live in Arizona AWD is not needed. I am looking for used and have the following cars on my shopping list: lexus is 200t, infiniti q50, and nissan maxima. I want a combo of decent fuel economy, acceleration and handling. I like the ILX because it seems to have all those features at a good price. I am curious about the 2016+ model year, and wondering what the owner experience is like. Any info greatly appreciated.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:59 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ILX-please
Some nice pics in here! Let me introduce myself as a perspective buyer possibly of the ILX. I currently have a much loved Suzuki KIzashi 2012 SLS w/AWD, which I will be replacing. Its a great car by the way, but I am getting something newer and a little quicker. I'm interested in a sports sedan and since I now live in Arizona AWD is not needed. I am looking for used and have the following cars on my shopping list: lexus is 200t, infiniti q50, and nissan maxima. I want a combo of decent fuel economy, acceleration and handling. I like the ILX because it seems to have all those features at a good price. I am curious about the 2016+ model year, and wondering what the owner experience is like. Any info greatly appreciated.
In my opinion and experience, the ILX was iffy at first and I had sort of buyers remorse coming from a 2013 BMW 335i M Sport that I leased. Overall, the BMW felt more premium at the time and the ILX was new to me. Acura in general was new to me. I thought to myself, why did I "downgrade" after the fact. Well, after taking it around the world with me overseas with the military, aside from the brake squeal that was easily fixed and there is a TSB about this, this car has been so reliable, fun to drive, economical in fuel/costs/maintenance. My sister is leasing the 2014 ILX premium automatic and I drove that around before when I was home. When comparing that to the 2016 ILX, big difference because of new powertrain. The ILX is quick and it can go from 0-60 in 6.4 seconds, which is great for a NA car. I sometimes call my ILX, zero (like the ww2 planes) even tho its not a mitsubishi. I doubt you'll see the same fuel economy in a lexus 200t from what I recall. I got all the bells and whistles packages on this ILX and its lovely. My friend had a infiniti q50 and its not a bad car, just quite big and not great on gas compared to the ILX. If you want a bigger acura sedan, look at the TLX.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:24 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Nurseman74
In my opinion and experience, the ILX was iffy at first and I had sort of buyers remorse coming from a 2013 BMW 335i M Sport that I leased. Overall, the BMW felt more premium at the time and the ILX was new to me. Acura in general was new to me. I thought to myself, why did I "downgrade" after the fact. Well, after taking it around the world with me overseas with the military, aside from the brake squeal that was easily fixed and there is a TSB about this, this car has been so reliable, fun to drive, economical in fuel/costs/maintenance. My sister is leasing the 2014 ILX premium automatic and I drove that around before when I was home. When comparing that to the 2016 ILX, big difference because of new powertrain. The ILX is quick and it can go from 0-60 in 6.4 seconds, which is great for a NA car. I sometimes call my ILX, zero (like the ww2 planes) even tho its not a mitsubishi. I doubt you'll see the same fuel economy in a lexus 200t from what I recall. I got all the bells and whistles packages on this ILX and its lovely. My friend had a infiniti q50 and its not a bad car, just quite big and not great on gas compared to the ILX. If you want a bigger acura sedan, look at the TLX.
Thank you for sharing your experience. I am not looking for bigger that is for sure. This biggest on my list so far is the nissan maxima. The is 200t gets 22/33 and the q50 gets 23/31 for fuel economy which is not too bad. The ILX gets the best fuel economy of the 4 four, has the second best 0-60 time, and probably can get the best price on it used. The maxima is the fastest but gets 21/30 for fuel economy and is the biggest on my list. I live in Arizona and the is 200t is fairly popular, so I am kind of bored of seeing them and it is the most expensive. The q50 is the least reliable on that list so that gives me some pause. I am concerned over the "road manner" of the ILX, because I don't want a bumpy ride or to hear a lot of road noise. I wish the model 3 was available so I could get more info on that car.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:43 PM
Instructor

Thank you for sharing your experience. I am not looking for bigger that is for sure. This biggest on my list so far is the nissan maxima. The is 200t gets 22/33 and the q50 gets 23/31 for fuel economy which is not too bad. The ILX gets the best fuel economy of the 4 four, has the second best 0-60 time, and probably can get the best price on it used. The maxima is the fastest but gets 21/30 for fuel economy and is the biggest on my list. I live in Arizona and the is 200t is fairly popular, so I am kind of bored of seeing them and it is the most expensive. The q50 is the least reliable on that list so that gives me some pause. I am concerned over the "road manner" of the ILX, because I don't want a bumpy ride or to hear a lot of road noise. I wish the model 3 was available so I could get more info on that car.
Well the ilx is a sports sedan and has a fairly bumpy ride. I'd say I'd ride comfort is super important then Lexus 200t maybe better? I've never driven one before. I got used to the road noise tho. Just test drive both!
Old 04-29-2017, 11:30 AM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a '13 ILX but have driven the '16 as a loaner. The '16 has a nicer ride and considerably less road noise. Only you know what level of road noise is acceptable to you, but I find it hard to imagine it's too much for most people (whereas, the '13 is a bit much). FWIW, my year's ILX gas mileage is rated as 22/31 and I typically would get more like 25/35+ actual, calculated at the pump.
Old 04-29-2017, 02:29 PM
Instructor

I can attest to the mileage! You get super good gas mileage with the 2016+ models. I sometimes get 40+ MPG on the highway without traffic.
Old 04-30-2017, 11:34 PM
3rd Gear

Any car following the Kizashi is going to be a tough sell as that car was a hidden gem. Once I test drive I will know more, the Nissan Maxima is a nice option also. 2018 ILX will be redesigned is what I am hearing, so that may also get me to lean towards the maxima as taht is on its second year of the redesign now.
Old 05-09-2017, 02:57 PM
oo3
4th Gear

I just bought a 2014 w/ Tech Package and I love it. A big thing I regret is the engine and how slow it is. I had a 2005 Mercedes C230k which was 180 hp and it was leaps and bounds faster. Very annoying when I'm trying to speed up and merge onto a freeway. If you can, look for a 2.4L.
Old 05-09-2017, 04:22 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
10th gen Honda Civic > 1st gen ILX

If you can, wait to see what the 2nd gen ILX brings
Old 05-09-2017, 08:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by AZuser

It's true that the 10th gen Civic is newer, however the 2016+ ILX (MMC) has the upgraded drivetrain which is better than the Civic's. 201hp and 8DCT is pretty nice. Since the ILX is not selling well, you can get them way below invoice price. Last year, I originally tried to buy a Civic Touring, but due to the hot market bubble at the time, the Honda dealer would not budge from MSRP. I ended up getting an ILX Tech + ASPEC for only $2k more than the Civic's MSRP that Honda wanted. I felt the drivetrain and ELS stereo was worth that extra money. I'm sure now you can get even better deals than I got back then.
Old 05-14-2017, 09:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts
No real complaints from me for my ILX. I got what I paid for. BUT, one other thing no one mentioned... roof line is kind of low.. I wouldn't really recommend this car if you are tall, like 5'10 and up, this car will feel too small, I think. I'm pretty sure someone on this forum who is tall even got a sports/ bucket seat to sit lower in the ILX. But everyone's body proportions are different, sit in one to compare it to the others. Sit in them, play with the seats, and test drive all of them

If I was a little bit taller this car would be a bit too small. i had my friend who is 6'5 in the car, rode shot gun. Seat all the way back, he felt cramped. Not horrendously uncomfortable for a long trip 2 hour trip. He just had zero leg room front to back. But no way in hell would he be comfortable as a regular passenger, much less as a driver... probably cant even fit in the car with the steering wheel in the way, straight up clown car look , haha... obviously he's an uncommonly big mofo tho.

Last edited by aomechmarine; 05-14-2017 at 09:42 PM.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:14 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Originally Posted by AZuser

This. I think Acura needs to hit this next ILX out of the park. If they upgrade everything about the current Civic and add sound deadening and a decent tech package, it will be okay, but the ILX is really a place Acura needs to innovate if they want to sell more. The brand just isn't good enough to sell a bunch of rebadged (worse) Civics at this point.
Old 05-16-2017, 12:27 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 205 Likes on 173 Posts
I checked that out before buying, only the Si had the 2.4 and none have the DCT. I got the ILX (American built) and love it. Sure it's a little loud, if I remember right, that's called feedback. I can feel it through the throttle. Yes, the a-spec wheels have the winter studs on them and the summers get to wear a different set of Enkei

Old 05-16-2017, 04:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

That 8DCT is really sweet. It's the first car I've owned that I purposely flick the down paddle just to feel the instant shift and RPM matching.
Old 06-16-2017, 01:38 AM
Instructor

Received 93 Likes on 44 Posts
No.
Old 06-18-2017, 02:48 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dont waste your money on an ilx

I have a 2017 ILX A Spec and I over paid for sure and the car is crap the dual clutch transmission has many issues and the dealers will not resolve the car hesitates so bad left hand turns with oncoming traffic is just plain scary I never know if the car will lag or not. the stereo is horrible as well I don't crank up my tunes that much but some bass would be nice you would think the A Spec would have a nice stereo. I have had my car at the dealer numerous time it's a true lemon and I will unload it when the warranty runs out.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:34 PM
Instructor

Received 93 Likes on 44 Posts
If Acura builds the Type R Gen 10 Civic
motor into an AWD A-Spec ILX with a legit
sport-lux automatic transmission and a premium
interior and they would have a winner.

Right?
Old 06-18-2017, 08:39 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Originally Posted by Scott in AZ

Right?
while they're at it, just make the ILX completely electric and make it an hovercraft.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:46 PM
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Scott in AZ

Right?
I don't think we'll see the Type-R motor, but I wouldn't be surprised to see an AWD ILX with a less powerful 2.0T, possibly a detuned Type-R motor but I guess more likely a version of the upcoming Accord's 2.0T. And it will undoubtedly come with an automatic, hopefully IMO a quick-shifting DCT like the ILX and TLX. It would be darned nice to have an S3-killing ILX, and the new Civic's platform is unquestionably up to the task.

I expect the base ILX with FWD to have the Civic Si's engine, but with some type of automatic as well. I've driven a new Si, and as a manual devotee I hate to say this, but that engine might work better with a really good traditional automatic.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by loved my old acura
I have a 2017 ILX A Spec and I over paid for sure and the car is crap the dual clutch transmission has many issues and the dealers will not resolve the car hesitates so bad left hand turns with oncoming traffic is just plain scary I never know if the car will lag or not. the stereo is horrible as well I don't crank up my tunes that much but some bass would be nice you would think the A Spec would have a nice stereo. I have had my car at the dealer numerous time it's a true lemon and I will unload it when the warranty runs out.
Seems you didn't actually test drive the car before buying it. I also don't understand why you overpaid. With a tiny bit of research you can figure out that you can get it at least $3000 under invoice without trying very hard.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:50 PM
Suzuka Master

If your car is truly a lemon there are steps you can take to get it replaced.

As others have said. A good test drive would have shown you all these issues. Next time maybe youll test drive the vehicle before you sign off on a 30 thousand dollar purchase.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

You don't say whether you have the Tech package or not. If no-Tech, then you have the base stereo. The tech package has the upgraded ELS stereo which is quite nice. I also don't understand you saying you're going to unload it when the warranty runs out. Why is that a factor?
Old 06-23-2017, 01:48 AM
Suzuka Master

Funny when people bitch about the aspec then say it should have this or that. Yeah but it doesnt so why did you buy the aspec over the tech? Tech has more tech Aspec has a body kit you have to pay extra for. wtf
Old 06-24-2017, 09:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Sounds like OP was totally uninformed about the ILX and bought it on a whim.