Replacing trunk light with LED bulb on 2016 ILX PLUS Glove Box Light

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 01:57 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing trunk light with LED bulb on 2016 ILX PLUS Glove Box Light

I just bought a 2016 ILX w/ 13k miles. [3 yr lease car]
I want to replace the trunk light bulb with a LED bulb. I have tried removing the plastic cover, but it is very firmly in place, I do not want to break the plastic. Can someone tell me the best way to pry it off?
The CD that came with the car has a PDF of the owners manual that is over 500 pages and does not show how to remove the cover.

The Navigation manual is over 300 pages! I have some reading to do~!

Also ... the manual states the glove box light is an LED. but I do see any light at all when the glove box is open. There is a rather dim light below the glove box close to the passenger floor. I think this is the "foot light" mentioned in the manual as 1.4 w.
Where is the LED bulb for the glove box??

Has anybody replaced any of the interior/trunk bulbs with LED bubs?
It appears the 2 map ilights are LED type, even if they are not super bright.
So that leaves the rear dome light and the trunk light.

Thanks in advance,
Wade in Nashville
Old 07-19-2019, 07:23 AM
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts
I believe it was pretty easy to replace. Ive converted all the interior and exterior(minus turn signals) to LED. I will try to grab a video clip for you.
Old 07-19-2019, 03:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 140 Posts
Glove box (and center console cubby) only light up when the parking lights are on.
Old 07-21-2019, 12:44 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was able to replace the trunk light bulb with an LED one, along with the back up bulbs.

WOW, thanks, schen72, that's pretty unusual you have to have the parking lights on.
I am very disappointed with Honda for putting such a useless light for the glove box. It is amber color and hardly provides any light, it is so dim.

Has anyone replaced this amber light with a brighter white light? Does anyone make one?
If so, do you pry it out? I see where it looks like it may be "unscrew" out, but it feels firmly in place.

The rear dome light is acceptable I suppose,
Has any replaced it with a LED bulb?
Old 07-21-2019, 06:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by wpunch
I was able to replace the trunk light bulb with an LED one, along with the back up bulbs.

WOW, thanks, schen72, that's pretty unusual you have to have the parking lights on.
I am very disappointed with Honda for putting such a useless light for the glove box. It is amber color and hardly provides any light, it is so dim.

Has anyone replaced this amber light with a brighter white light? Does anyone make one?
If so, do you pry it out? I see where it looks like it may be "unscrew" out, but it feels firmly in place.

The rear dome light is acceptable I suppose,
Has any replaced it with a LED bulb?
All Honda and Acuras have been like this forever. They assume you only need light if it's dark out, thus your headlights (and parking lights) are on. My theory on the dim glovebox bulbs is so that it doesn't mess up your night vision.