Possible intake for 2L members

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 10:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 127 Likes on 92 Posts
Possible intake for 2L members

I wasn't aware of how many of you 2L owners want the option to modify your cars. But, taking a look at the stock air box for the 1.8L Civic it's identical to the 2.0L ILX.. if anyone wants to try this I will pay your return shipping if it doesn't fit.

You have to select the last option "2012-2013" to show the correct intake.

http://www.procivic.com/pages-produc...168/index.html

This looks really nice for leasees too because it would be a very easy install and very easy to go back to factory when your lease is up.

**I double checked the lower part of the air box.. it is the exact model number of each other.. I don't see this having any fitment issues.

Last edited by Trentimus; 04-30-2013 at 10:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
tech2332 (04-30-2013)
Old 04-30-2013, 10:09 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Interesting. I may try this next month,
Old 04-30-2013, 10:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by tech2332
Interesting. I may try this next month,
Feel free to PM me when you order it and if you have any issues we can talk it over, and if all else fails I'll buy your return shipping.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:52 PM
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
I can most likely pick this up Friday as I receive my Bonus check from work.

Do you think it would really need a tune with it still being just the air box? I know on the 9thGen forums they were showing to just cut a hole in the bottom of the box and then order the replacement for like $25.

Debating whether or not it's worth almost $250.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:09 AM
Drifting

Received 285 Likes on 245 Posts
I would try to see if the aem intake works for the 2.0...they make one for the r18s. That's very nice that the vendor would accept returns / reimburse the costs if it doesn't fit.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:59 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Switt23
I can most likely pick this up Friday as I receive my Bonus check from work.

Do you think it would really need a tune with it still being just the air box? I know on the 9thGen forums they were showing to just cut a hole in the bottom of the box and then order the replacement for like $25.

Debating whether or not it's worth almost $250.
You'd have to order another resonator if you're leasing. I personally think you're just going to suck up more heat that way.

Originally Posted by spdandpwr
I would try to see if the aem intake works for the 2.0...they make one for the r18s. That's very nice that the vendor would accept returns / reimburse the costs if it doesn't fit.
I haven't looked into them but I will take a look after work.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:24 AM
Three Wheelin'

Looking at the engine bays and stock parts of both cars.. It really looks like any of the 1.8L intakes should work on the 2L.. but the airbox part numbers are slightly different.. Don't know if they have different mounting points or something but they look exactly the same. Anyways..

This would be a cool way for you guys to get a deeper sound at throttle, more throttle response and probably a little bit of hp.

I don't think you NEED a tune really.. you will just run a little rich apparently. Which just means you wouldn't get as much power as you would tuned.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:35 PM
Racer

I'm going to purchase part# AEM-21-714C on friday and will see how it fits. I think the only part that may have trouble is the rubber washer mount that holds it in place.
Trentimus (05-01-2013)
Old 05-01-2013, 04:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

I'm going to purchase part# AEM-21-714C on friday and will see how it fits. I think the only part that may have trouble is the rubber washer mount that holds it in place.
Just remember it does take some elbow work to put the intake close enough to each mounting point. They're very snug fits usually. I'd like updates if you decide to do this.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:50 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Cant wait for the results! Im very interested
Old 05-03-2013, 10:12 AM
Cruisin'

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I installed a 3" velocity stack on my ILX. I used the old intake filter location to relocate the battery. I have not tune her up yet but you definately get a beautify throttle body roar. @ Trentimus--Its all about the ILX destruction I am new to the forum but once im able to upload pictures and such ill do so, but i have a video on youtube if you want to see the setup
The following 2 users liked this post by fjreyes17:
JMJ3rd (07-08-2013), Trentimus (05-10-2013)
Old 05-03-2013, 10:51 AM
Drifting

Received 285 Likes on 245 Posts
after 100/110, this car becomes a dog...don't think it has the aerodynamics/power to car itself lol. I feel like the car sits there at 118/120
Old 05-03-2013, 11:07 AM
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by fjreyes17
I installed a 3" velocity stack on my ILX. I used the old intake filter location to relocate the battery. I have not tune her up yet but you definately get a beautify throttle body roar. @ Trentimus--Its all about the ILX destruction I am new to the forum but once im able to upload pictures and such ill do so, but i have a video on youtube if you want to see the setup ILX-0-60 - YouTube
Oh gawd...Did you really put underbody neon lights in there??? Did you put LEDs in the taillight themselves or outside?
Old 05-03-2013, 11:12 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by spdandpwr
after 100/110, this car becomes a dog...don't think it has the aerodynamics/power to car itself lol. I feel like the car sits there at 118/120
Hmm.. I have never driven it that fast, I don't think.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
Shouldnt have any issues running rich for too long if at all. Our computers have a good way of figure out our air to gas ratio and it can adapt to difference in air like when your normally travel.

So with JUST an intake, no tune is needed. Probably be a waste too. But once youve got as much done as Trentimus, a tune will do a lot more for you.

And Yes AEM makes a CAI that will fit. Same for Injen, similar pricing but shape and filter position are different. Good luck guys.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:56 AM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by pdpgps
Oh gawd...Did you really put underbody neon lights in there??? Did you put LEDs in the taillight themselves or outside?
Can you say Dagger to the Heart?
Old 05-10-2013, 10:48 PM
Cruisin'

Yes i did add LEDs personal preferance and its on the outside for the tails. Any mods i make will always change once i get bored of the look. The ILX caps off at 134-135 ish, and i hate it cause thats when she becomes a beast! Also everyone is right about the tune up, not really needed for the intake add. If anything your MPG improves, "I personally experienced an average of 29 MPG both in and out of HWY and City." I quote this cause i not sure if it goes for everyone. I drive heavy too(3800-4500 RPM) so it your the soft driver shifting before 3000 RPMs maybe it gets better. I also took out the cat, perfectly safe for those wondering if it sounds like ass from the exhaust i did not notice a change i sound hardly, and no back blast either, but a tune is definately needed, running too rich MPG dropped to 26.5-27.5 ish, and 28 if you shift below 3000 RPM cruisin if you will (Personally this is all just experiments guys im just exploring this is what this ILX forums are about, Im roughly new but i hope my inputs are helpful in the ILX forum.
Trentimus (05-10-2013)
Old 05-10-2013, 11:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

I think it's cool that you're into modding your ILX! Thanks for sharing. I like the concept of the LEDs in the back
Old 05-10-2013, 11:30 PM
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by RENARELLO
Can you say Dagger to the Heart?
Yes. Underglow was way back in the early 2000s and there is a reason why no one uses that anymore. Personally I want the ILX to be thought of as entry level luxury, not the next street racing civic/integra. And reading that the taillight LEDs are outside (I presume an LED strip doublesided taped) just makes it worse.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by pdpgps
Yes. Underglow was way back in the early 2000s and there is a reason why no one uses that anymore. Personally I want the ILX to be thought of as entry level luxury, not the next street racing civic/integra. And reading that the taillight LEDs are outside (I presume an LED strip doublesided taped) just makes it worse.
People customize TLs and TSXs all the time

If you're talking about how much effort was put into it that's a different story but you have to remember to each his own.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:03 AM
Cruisin'

They are in fact the LED strips that you buy at any auto parts store, and double sided tape makes it sound like i rigged it but if thats how you see it. These LEDs have three funcions, they flash twice when you brake, they light up in a sequence when you use your turn signals, and turn on with your running lights at night. Just for those who were wondering. Look at it as just a concept...who knows maybe some actual aftermarket taillight will come out from differennt ideas. Nothing personal "pdpgps" you want luxurious (your preferance) i want my own personal mods (my preferance)
Old 05-11-2013, 02:11 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Trentimus
I think it's cool that you're into modding your ILX! Thanks for sharing. I like the concept of the LEDs in the back
Thank you for the support!
Old 05-11-2013, 03:02 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by fjreyes17
They are in fact the LED strips that you buy at any auto parts store, and double sided tape makes it sound like i rigged it but if thats how you see it. These LEDs have three funcions, they flash twice when you brake, they light up in a sequence when you use your turn signals, and turn on with your running lights at night. Just for those who were wondering. Look at it as just a concept...who knows maybe some actual aftermarket taillight will come out from differennt ideas. Nothing personal "pdpgps" you want luxurious (your preferance) i want my own personal mods (my preferance)
Totally loving it! keep up the good work
Old 06-01-2013, 04:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Did a lot of looking around and came to the realization that a short ram intake for the 2006+ civic 1.8L will fit on the 2.0 ilx. Comparing engine pictures and intake is the the same position for all years 2006 to 2012. Intakes are far more common for the 2006-2011 than 2012. Ive also seen 2012 civic owners running 2011 intakes so they should all fit.

I plan to Frankenstein a short ram intake using the intake elbow with the MAF sensor cut out. Just need to find one with a 3-3.5 diameter for cheap. Going to pick up a Blow Racing velocity stack and fit an oversized K&N filter to that.
If my assumptions are correct it'll line up right behind the battery. I'll utilize the stock air scope for the stock airbox to push cold air into the bay right infront of the intake.

Picking up springs first.... then intake.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:51 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Guys, I am leasing a 2.0 automatic ILX and was not thinking about modding the engine until I saw Trent's post about the 12-13 civic intake. If I were to just add that part do you think I would notice the difference in performance? Also, do you think this is something I could install myself? I just installed new fog lights but have never messed with the engine on any of my cars.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Would be hard for us to say if you could do the install yourself.
My buddy is insanely smart but just didnt feel comfortable installing a cold air into his mazda speed. Its understandable. Cars are expensive and when they dont work correctly its lik a punch to the gut.

A short ram intake which will be your best bet to assure fitment... though others will probably argue about their worth but dont worry they dont know what their talking about. Some pretty smart guys proved POD filters dont increase horsepower any unless air is being fed directly into the filter. So theyd argue an aftermarket intake would do worse... they have dyno numbers and a video to prove it.

Id suggest a K&N short ram for the 2012 1.8 civic. It'll be one of the easiest to install, it has a heat shield and utilizes the stock air dam to provide cool air.

No whether you will feel it or not is again up for debate. My claim... as well as the same guys I mentioned earlier (Might Car Mods I believe is their blog) will claim no intake will provide enough gain to be felt. They even give a minimal increase spec youd have to reach before you could really feel the gains.

Great blog, check em out.

My 2 cents, intakes are about bling now. Dyno numbers can prove stock intakes are designed pretty damn good in most acuras/hondas. The best intake the might car modders made was a POD filter inside a STOCK air box. The only other way they increased hp was by hooking a fan directly up to an intake hose.
So the 200$ is probably better spent elsewhere unless you just want to have it... which id agree with hahaha
Old 07-08-2013, 09:25 PM
Racer

Most noticeable difference will be the sound of the car and the weight of your wallet
Old 07-08-2013, 09:33 PM
Suzuka Master

^truth
Old 07-08-2013, 09:34 PM
Intermediate

Nice thanks for both responses...ive read a lot of the forums and you guys really know what you're talking about. Any other ideas on relatively easy mods that will increase performance? I love the look of the car it's just so slow. I came from an Infiniti g37 coupe lease to the acura and there's a huge difference in performance.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:50 PM
Suzuka Master

There isnt much you can do for cheap if you want to increase horsepower. Best bang for your buck will end up being forced induction which isnt cheap or easy.

Intake, mani, downpipe, exhaust... for these cars.... around 1-1.5grand before labor and that's going to be an additional 20hp to the wheels if you're lucky.

Turbo or supercharger depending on your prior mods can cost from 1,000 to the skys the limit. Those can increase horse at least 20hp to 100hp per liter.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Intakes for 2012 1.8 civic will fit 2.0 ilx. No cel thrown either.
Any intake for a 2006+ civic non si should fit the 2.0 as well. Not sure how great the maf sensor will reach, the ilx has a small ass wire harness for that section so you may need to cut a ziptie to get more length on the harness.

Takeda "Retain" CAI
Utilizes the stock air resonator and the bottom half the the stock air box. No worries in using these stock parts. In fact, many will argue that Acura tests the air flow of their intake more than any racing company will test one intake set up one a single car when they have to produce intakes for another hundred cars.
The Takeda intake replaces the top half of the air box with a slightly larger housing and much better filter. Instead of your normal flat drop in filer it is an oversized cone filter with reverse inward cone on top.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:28 PM
Intermediate

How hard was the install for the intake? It doesnt seem too bad considering you're using the bottom of the stock airbox.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Well for me it sucked because a mechanic must have stripped a screw in the factory which made installation a bitch but would be much easier for someone with a full socket set including those tiny ones.

Installation is pretty simply...
1. unplug maf sensor and 2 bolts holding the airbox to the car.
2. loosen the clamp holding the rubber coupler to the throttle body. Pull the tube out of the coupler as well as the resonator from the airbox inlet.
^That is where it got tricky for me. I however did about everything before loosening the ONE clamp that was stripped. Go me. I ended up going to a local auto shop after reinstalling the stock intake and had a guy loosen that one screw for me with the socket i knew someone there would have. A normal screw driver will work for everyone else, mine was just stripped to hell.

3. Remove entire air box with throttle body coupler.
4. Take the top half of the airbox with coupler off the lower half as well as remove the maf sensor.
5. Attach oem maf sensor and filter to takeda top half and secure it to the oem bottom half with three oem clips
6. Attach new takeda coupler to takeda air box.
7. Attach oem tube to takeda coupler. Attach oem air resonator to oem airbox inlet.
8. Plug the maf sensor in and make sure all bolts and screws are tight.

Don't start the car before plugging the maf sensor back in or you'll throw a hill assist light, VAS light, emissions light, AND power steering light. Took 5 minutes of drive for them to clear themselves. Everything is perfect now. No CELs.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:16 AM
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Sound clip?
Old 09-14-2013, 12:50 PM
Suzuka Master

I can pop my hood today and see. I doubt well really get to hear much.
Old 09-14-2013, 04:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Didn't work very well but you can hear its louder.
Old 09-14-2013, 05:21 PM
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Thanks I can hear it some sounds beefier
Old 09-18-2013, 11:20 AM
Advanced

That intake you have is the same one that Trent posted in the first post, correct?
Thinking of getting the same one or the K&N intake
Old 09-18-2013, 05:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Not the direct one they show a picture of.
If you click for the 1.8 its that intake. the one they have shown for the 2.4 is available for the 2.0 but that site doesnt have it. The one there for the 1.8 is the one I got though.
tech2332 (09-18-2013)
Old 09-18-2013, 11:01 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by usdmJON
Not the direct one they show a picture of.
If you click for the 1.8 its that intake. the one they have shown for the 2.4 is available for the 2.0 but that site doesnt have it. The one there for the 1.8 is the one I got though.
Right, that's what i meant, cool thanks. Just wanted to make sure they weren't different because it's described slightly different on that site (CAI vs Short Ram) and i didn't see a part #.

Thinking I can possibly get a good deal on that one through a friend. Might have it soon

Quick Reply: Possible intake for 2L members