Possible fix for 8spd DCT "slamming" during stop?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 10:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
Possible fix for 8spd DCT "slamming" during stop?

Just noticed they released a TSB for the 8spd DCT on the TLX that supposedly fixes the hard slamming of the transmission when coming to a quicker than normal stop.

http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B17-015.PDF

I wonder if they're on the brink of releasing the same TSB for the 2016-2017 ILXs...
Old 05-01-2017, 11:25 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'll try to look out for this as I have now 20,000 miles and no issues or complaints of my transmission so far. I drive in bumper to bumper traffic daily to and from work and have notice smooth sailing!
Old 07-24-2017, 04:19 PM
Automotive Tech

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is a problem on the ILX too and I don't know why Honda hasn't released a fix yet.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

^ yup - that was the premise of my OP. Assuming the 8-spd DCT is identical between the ILX and the TLX v4, then one would think that it should be able to use the same repair procedure to correct this issue. No idea for sure though.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:09 PM
Forum Contributor

Received 1,391 Likes on 643 Posts
See TSB 17-015 - 8-Speed Transmission (DCT) Has a Bump or Hard Shift When Coming to a Stop in the 2016 and 2017 TSB threads.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Yes!! Looks like I was right. Thanks for the post! Will be taking mine in ASAP.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:51 PM
Automotive Tech

Sweet, finally. Ill be making an appointment asap for this fix. I do alot of driving and this has anoyed the hell out of me since i first bought this dam car. Thx for updating us 👍👍👍

​​​​​​​you guys think ill still be covered under warranty? I have 140 kms and i bought this a-spec in june 2015
Old 09-09-2017, 10:37 PM
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I just got my service done yesterday thanks to this thread.

Night and Day Difference! The transmission is so silky smooth now.

Entire process took 20min. It was just a simple update and I was on my way.

Even Sport Mode feels less jerky. I really am loving this new update.
The following users liked this post:
holografique (09-10-2017)
Old 09-10-2017, 12:27 AM
Three Wheelin'

^ wow, I was hoping that we'd see some overall improvements across the board. really excited to hear this.
Old 09-18-2017, 05:59 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yup. Just got it done and can second that the update really smooths out the transmission. I would recommend everyone get it done ASAP.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:16 AM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Thanks for the heads up

it's not available in Canada yet.

I havent experienced any issues with my 2017 transmission but will update it regardless.
Old 10-06-2017, 06:01 PM
Intermediate

Those who got this TSB done, do you feel any signs of performance degradation?
Old 10-06-2017, 07:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 140 Posts
Hmm. I hadn't thought my ILX really had an issue with the transmission, but maybe I'll get this regardless.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Got the update done earlier this week and wow, major difference! Not only did it fix the transmission slamming problem, it has completely changed (and improved) the overall transmission response. It's a night-n-day difference. Overall shifts are MUCH smoother, giving the entire engine and throttle feel a much needed boost in responsiveness.

Super happy with the update, and has made driving an already fun car that much more enjoyable. Highly recommend anyone with an MMC ILX (2016+) to get this update done.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:52 PM
Automotive Tech

lucky you guys, over here in Canada all dealerships and even Acura Canada denies this issue. It's so frustrating I wanted to punch the dealer service guy where i bought my car and then the girl on the phone @ Acura Canada customer relations, they made me feel like I didn't know what I was talking about, and gave me sh!t. I'll never buy and Acura again there junk. I'll go with audi next time screw this.

I may just go to the USA and pay for them to flash it, it's just ridiculous, sick of fighting with them, I just want it done already.

Have so many issue's with this A-spec
Old 10-16-2017, 02:57 PM
Automotive Tech

Originally Posted by aksilx
Thanks for the heads up

it's not available in Canada yet.

I havent experienced any issues with my 2017 transmission but will update it regardless.
bro it's because you haven't experience the difference to notice it, but there is an issue! This is one reason why we Canadians get the shift, not enough ppl are complaining, ppl are blind up here, too worried about says sorry bahaha
Old 10-21-2017, 03:53 PM
7th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Just a little warning ...

I took my 2017 ILX into the dealer today to have the software upgraded for the hard stop transmission issue. I got a call a short time later from the service dept that went a little like this: “Hello sir, are you enjoying driving the MDX?” Me: yea man, it’s a nice SUV. “Dealer: oh good, because when we went to upgrade your software, we fried the computer and now we have to order one.”

Haha. So apparently, this little fix isn’t without a little risk. This is so my luck. And he said Acura was quite aware this could happen, which signaled to me I wasn’t the first. Just a word of warning guys and gals
Old 10-24-2017, 09:24 AM
Automotive Tech

The Canadian TSB for this issue is; E-1-17
Old 10-25-2017, 09:27 PM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Pir8pete
bro it's because you haven't experience the difference to notice it, but there is an issue! This is one reason why we Canadians get the shift, not enough ppl are complaining, ppl are blind up here, too worried about says sorry bahaha
when I drive the Acura, I’m always driving in manual mode so you prob right. I don’t notice it because I rarely drive it in Auto mode.

What im hoping in the update for me is more quicker and percice shifts in manual mode.

The update is available now and I plan to take it when I have some time.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:44 PM
Automotive Tech

I just finally had this reflash done for the trans. Let me tell yeah here in ottawa/gat in canada it was a big fight with them to get this completed. They denied the issue then i brought up the american tsb they dissmissed that so i called acura canada and the girl for cumstomer relations basicly said i dont know what i was talking about then went to a far away dealer in gat, qubec and they found the tsb. Whata buch of asshates. Ill never do business with acura again. That ruined for life with me. Too many issues with this car.

trans
hood
brakes
xm
battery
gps/nav
Engine fumes in cabin
headlights
paddleshifers should have been on the column not the wheel
​​​​​​​etc.... The list goes on,

the trans reflash makes it normal now like it should have been. Its just a touch better, no slamming when coming to a stop and or getting on the gas again is all that changed. Over all the ilx is not a great car. Bad disign mechanically. The way the body is put together is not great. The 14 civic was better. Ex. Plate used plastic tabs not metial so no rust. The headlight brackets are plastic on the civ, acura uses metial so they will rust very bad is afew years,

Last edited by Pir8pete; 10-25-2017 at 09:52 PM.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:56 PM
Forum Contributor

Received 1,391 Likes on 643 Posts
The Canadian TSB for this issue is; E-1-17
TSB E-1-17 - 8-Speed Transmission (DCT) Has a Bump or Hard Shift When Coming to a Stop
Applies To: 2015-2017 TLX - All L4 8-Speed DCT - ALL
http://techinfo.honda.com/Rjanisis/p...B-E-1-17-E.PDF
Old 10-25-2017, 11:14 PM
Automotive Tech

Can u post all the canadian tbs for the Ilx like you did for the usa

thank man, its cuz if we walk in with these usa ones the dealer here denise theres an issue and says it only effects the cars over there which is wrong. Then its nothing but a fight with the dealers and even acura Canada they all say nothing wrong with the canadian cars
Old 11-08-2017, 09:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

I just finally had this reflash done for the trans. Let me tell yeah here in ottawa/gat in canada it was a big fight with them to get this completed. They denied the issue then i brought up the american tsb they dissmissed that so i called acura canada and the girl for cumstomer relations basicly said i dont know what i was talking about then went to a far away dealer in gat, qubec and they found the tsb. Whata buch of asshates. Ill never do business with acura again. That ruined for life with me. Too many issues with this car.

trans
hood
brakes
xm
battery
gps/nav
Engine fumes in cabin
headlights
paddleshifers should have been on the column not the wheel
etc.... The list goes on,

the trans reflash makes it normal now like it should have been. Its just a touch better, no slamming when coming to a stop and or getting on the gas again is all that changed. Over all the ilx is not a great car. Bad disign mechanically. The way the body is put together is not great. The 14 civic was better. Ex. Plate used plastic tabs not metial so no rust. The headlight brackets are plastic on the civ, acura uses metial so they will rust very bad is afew years,
Can you elaborate on the issues you've had? Was that stuff actually broken, or did you just not like the way Acura implemented? Acura has had the paddles on the wheel ever since 2005 so I don't think they are going to change now.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

I just had the transmission TSB performed today and in my limited testing it appears to have made it smoother during stop and go driving. Before, when coming to a stop during stop-n-go, I would feel a slight lurch when shifting into 1st. It really wasn't that bad and I only noticed it after people on the forum were discussing it. I suspect some people's driving habits altered the way the trans would program itself. For me, maybe my style just allowed it to program itself better and not really lurch really hard. Who knows.

But in any case it seems even smoother now and I didn't feel any lurching at all.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:05 AM
Automotive Tech

Originally Posted by schen72
Can you elaborate on the issues you've had? Was that stuff actually broken, or did you just not like the way Acura implemented? Acura has had the paddles on the wheel ever since 2005 so I don't think they are going to change now.

oh bud I could go on and on about how crappy this car is, let just say I broke my own rule of "NEVER BUY A VEHICLE'S FIRST YEAR ON A RE-DESIGN" or in this case a v1.5, wait at least the second or even the third year into it so they can work the kinks out!!!
LOL all the poor basters that jumped the gun a bought the Civic Type-R this year LOL

I bought my A-Spec in June of 2015, sure it was cool to have the newest/coolest looking car at the time but I knew I would pay for it, in a headache!

Here's a point form notes of the issue's with my car, including the TBS's

-Loose Hood, flapping in wind turbulence on the HWY, was sitting high dealer adjusted it but still does it just not as bad.
-overly big Hood to front fender gap, (can put pointer finger in between)
-overly big front bumper to headlight gap (can looking down inside gap very easy, can also put finger in)
-drivers side headlight high beam not level (way up in the tree's) bad solider job on assembly line of led on board, me and dealer checked all 16-17 this year new on their lot, all had the same issue. they said no point in ordering a new one cuz it will have the same issue.
-very strong valve cover engine fumes coming in cabin throw vents when air hot or cold turned on
-trans shifting harsh (TSB) now fixed but after fighting with dealer and customer relations)
-front brakes squealing (TSB) brought in to dealer @ low kms but they dismissed it and never documented it now I'm SOL on warranty cuz of kms
-touch screen XM would get presets scrambled -> &^%$#% (TSB) now fixed
-touch screen/radio very slow to change songs when Bluetooth enabled to change track on phone using car. (my 2014 Civic is ok)
-navi so far out dated it makes me laugh. Had to pay to get it updated last year just to have the basic roads that have been completed for years now. (my 2014 Civic is ok and updated better right from factory)
-radio/navi crashes and needed to pull battery power to reset sometimes, happened 3 times since i bought in 2015
-Stock battery first winter of 2015 going into 2016 would not keep a proper reserve charge "CCA" and could barely start the car. throwing all kinds of engine and trans codes due to weak power. (replaced with yellowtop and never had that issue again)
-Engine oil slow seepage coming from pass front head gasket
-idler pulley bearing slight squeaking
-blower fan replaced 3 times, squeaking, dry bearings, last time motor had black dust coming out of it all in the vent system.
-both left and right outer control arm rubber boots falling apart.

The only positive thing that has come out of this car is when I had my XM tuner replaced the dealer fk up and actived it again with what i thought was another free 3 months but is still working and it's been a year now, I have never called XM to subscribe. yaaaahhh this will be a selling feature of free XM for the life of owning the car LOL whata joke.

I paid 43,000 and change for this car which what I thought for a honda was a premium and I feel that I didn't get premium. If i wanted this kinda car I would have bought a Hyundai, Kia or something like that. I'm going to try and see how Audi is and I hope it's better. RS3 is what i'm looking at sure it cost more but you get alot more and the quality is better even the small things they have put more though into it.

And if your wondering I do have my automotive license, and I have put alot of kms on this car. I spend alot of time in it so if anyones going to see the flaws I would. I have 150,000+kms on this A-Spec now

Last edited by Pir8pete; 11-10-2017 at 08:19 AM.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Really strange how your car has all these problems. Were the body fitment issues there from the beginning? Because I would not have taken delivery of it if it was. Every ILX I've seen doesn't have those fitment issues. It's almost as if the car had been in an accident. Did you buy it new? When it was under warranty, why didn't you have it addressed? Comparing to an ILX on the lot would have been obvious that yours had body issues.

Of your list of issues, I've had the squealing brake, radio preset garbage, and the transmission reprogram, all of them fixed by TSB. I just print out the TSB, hand it to the service advisor and they do it. No argument at all.

Also, the 2016 is not a new design. It's just an MMC with a new drivetrain. All the body panels are generally the same. And this drivetrain was already on the TLX, so it's not really new. I think you somehow either got a lemon from the factory or if you didn't buy it new, the prior owner abused the hell out of it. You may not be old enough to know this, but Audi is definitely not known for their reliability.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:38 PM
Automotive Tech

Really strange how your car has all these problems. Were the body fitment issues there from the beginning? Because I would not have taken delivery of it if it was. Every ILX I've seen doesn't have those fitment issues. It's almost as if the car had been in an accident. Did you buy it new? When it was under warranty, why didn't you have it addressed? Comparing to an ILX on the lot would have been obvious that yours had body issues.
Yes it's strange to see how low quality Acura is on it's line up now. (Sh1t even the refresh of the 18 TLX is a fail. Last TL is was something great was the 2008 TL Type-S). This is something you wouldn't know to look for when picking up the car @ first. A week after buying it brand new and hand washing it is when i noticed, I then compared with other new ones on the lot and noticed all the color blues had bigger gaps on the hood/fender and all colors had the headlight/bumper gap, that was in the summer of 2015 and again in 2016. This is a QC issue on the assemble line. Bought brand new from Camco Acura in Ottawa. I showed the dealer what i noticed and it was nothing but a big fight for them just to look at it, they thought I was crazy and look at me like I didn't know what I was talking about. That was a week after buying the car. Just for comparison my 2014 Civic Si never had any of these issue's!

Of your list of issues, I've had the squealing brake, radio preset garbage, and the transmission reprogram, all of them fixed by TSB. I just print out the TSB, hand it to the service advisor and they do it. No argument at all.
that's cuz your in the USA. I did just that and my dealer tried to fight me on it saying it was for US only and my car was fine. I then called the 1-800 number for customer relations and the girl still said that this car has no TSB's (which was BS I was getting phone jockeyed) and everything's fine, she also said these are for the USA only. nothing but a fight man!

Also, the 2016 is not a new design. It's just an MMC with a new drivetrain. All the body panels are generally the same. And this drivetrain was already on the TLX, so it's not really new. I think you somehow either got a lemon from the factory or if you didn't buy it new, the prior owner abused the hell out of it. You may not be old enough to know this, but Audi is definitely not known for their reliability.
It's was brand new I can tell, it was bad QC at the factory is what was going on. It's a new design with respect to alot of body changes, yes power tran was taken from the TLX but is still new in the grand view of things. TLX has all the same power trans issue that TLX's do.

I'm not going to sit here a try and convince ppl, if you guys don't believe me then so-be-it. I just know that Acura has fallen over the years now. Not like it use to be. I see why many ppl have jumped ship.

Oh to add to the list of issue's

- Hood has a slight deformity if your looking head on with the right angle of light. Two smell dimples from when they applied the internal hood support, the glue sucked in the panel.
- drivers side upper air vent popping out
-driver side dash/tech bezel popping out. Dealer was going to replace the entire dash because of a deformity, I said forget it after all the fighting. I was afraid they would mess something else up as everything needed to be removed and put back in.
Old 11-11-2017, 09:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

I guess I just don't have high expectations based on the price point. I paid $29.500 USD so I have no illusions it's a real luxury car. My 2006 RL is definitely higher quality in terms of build and materials. But that car also cost $50,000+. For the TSB fighting, every country (Acura Canada) has their own set of TSBs. So they need to see the TSB from Acura Canada. It seems they are a few months behind Acura USA. So if you hand them the Acura Canada TSB I'm sure the dealer would perform it no questions asked.

I have no doubt that your car has these problems. But I don't think it's across the board. I think you also have to be realistic about what the car cost. It's a below average priced car. Average is $30,000 USD.