Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
FMC = full model change
MMC = mid model change
Old 06-10-2012, 01:31 AM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
I'm 1000% sure that 14,676 YTD TL sales generates more profit for HMC than 15,012 YTD TSX sales does, considering the Yen to dollar exchange rate. So cancelling the TSX (which has actually been denied) makes perfect business sense.

So here's my take. There will be a 2013 TSX for those that want it. If the TSX is removed, it's likely that it will be 'blended' with the TL when these two cars are up for a FMC in 2014. If they continue with it, maybe we'll see the following;

ILX @ 179"
TSX @ 186"
TL @ 193"
RLX @ 196-199"

If blended, maybe:
ILX @179"
TLX @ 186"
RLX @ 196"

Maybe they'll add a coupe on the (former) TSX chassis?
ILX @ 179"
CLX @ 183"
TLX @ 190"
RLX @ 196-199"

The point is, there are a lot of options for Acura to pursue, the entire sedan lineup will be refreshed, and the ILX is simply the first out of the chute.
so your 1000% sure about TSX losing money. TSX that lacks push access of TL along with 6speed auto , LED tail lights with downgraded interior that is exported world wide is losing money. than everything made in Japan sent anywhere to the world must be losing money.
and TSX is 185.1 inch. not 186 inch. and that is the right size working not small like IS but not big like next ES/current TL.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:27 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
Originally Posted by SSFTSX
so your 1000% sure about TSX losing money. TSX that lacks push access of TL along with 6speed auto , LED tail lights with downgraded interior that is exported world wide is losing money. than everything made in Japan sent anywhere to the world must be losing money.
and TSX is 185.1 inch. not 186 inch. and that is the right size working not small like IS but not big like next ES/current TL.
HMC is losing money on exporting the TSX because of our weak dollar. To make money off the TSX the price of the car itself would have to go up to even make exporting it worth it. I'm stictly talking about the north american market. Moving production here will save on costs. But the deal of having a car "Made in Japan" does have its appeal.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:09 PM
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Acura_Dude
HMC is losing money on exporting the TSX because of our weak dollar. To make money off the TSX the price of the car itself would have to go up to even make exporting it worth it. I'm stictly talking about the north american market. Moving production here will save on costs. But the deal of having a car "Made in Japan" does have its appeal.
Why the heck are dealers given the green light to to offer big discounts?
Old 06-10-2012, 11:35 PM
Drifting

Received 285 Likes on 245 Posts
Isn't the tl only offered in 3 markets? how's that more profitable than a car that is literally offered all over the world? I agree that the weak dollar kills it...but there is certainly an efficiencies of scale thing going on.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:08 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Honda's long term strategy seems to be to shift all production of Acura's sold in North America to NA. The TSX will be next but I read that even the RLX (after a first year or two of production in Japan) will be built in the US. So in a few years all Acura's sold in NA will be built in NA. Even the mightly NSX will be built in the US.

Sure they make a lot of JDM and Euro accords in Japan. But they make a lot of US accords and TL's in Ohio. So shifting the new TSX/TLX to Ohio will realize similar economy of scale but avoid the loss of importing the cars to the US. The TSX is based on the JDM accord but there are hundreds of differences between the two cars. They don't just roll a JDM accord onto a boat and sell it in NA. The version sold in China is made in China also. I'm sure it would not be cost effective to import cars from Japan into China. Probably worse than importing to the US.

I think if Honda can make a good TL in Ohio they can make a good TSX/TLX as well. I'm not that worried.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rocket_man:
Acura_Dude (06-11-2012), spdandpwr (06-11-2012)
Old 06-11-2012, 02:13 AM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
There is big difference between re badging and Platform sharing.
ILX is based on USDM Civic. ILX is not rebadged Civic like CSX in Canada
Now TL is clearly based on USDM Accord but TL uses different engine, transmission, interior and whole body.
TSX is not based on JDM Accord but TSX is JDM Accord.
Except those clear head light lens.there is no difference in parts.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:20 PM
Searching..

Received 48 Likes on 23 Posts
to me, the dash looks so high. idk why.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:26 PM
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This article pretty much supports your claim:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...product-plans/

Hence the "higher" price ILX vs. TSX.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:58 PM
David_Dude

Originally Posted by Rocket_man
Honda's long term strategy seems to be to shift all production of Acura's sold in North America to NA. The TSX will be next but I read that even the RLX (after a first year or two of production in Japan) will be built in the US. So in a few years all Acura's sold in NA will be built in NA. Even the mightly NSX will be built in the US.

Sure they make a lot of JDM and Euro accords in Japan. But they make a lot of US accords and TL's in Ohio. So shifting the new TSX/TLX to Ohio will realize similar economy of scale but avoid the loss of importing the cars to the US. The TSX is based on the JDM accord but there are hundreds of differences between the two cars. They don't just roll a JDM accord onto a boat and sell it in NA. The version sold in China is made in China also. I'm sure it would not be cost effective to import cars from Japan into China. Probably worse than importing to the US.

I think if Honda can make a good TL in Ohio they can make a good TSX/TLX as well. I'm not that worried.
This. It's all about being cost-effective.

Originally Posted by explodinghands
This article pretty much supports your claim:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...product-plans/

Hence the "higher" price ILX vs. TSX.
Thanks for the link!
Old 06-11-2012, 06:04 PM
David_Dude

Originally Posted by gonzo08452
Why the heck are dealers given the green light to to offer big discounts?
More than likely to move units. Things are starting to look up in the auto-industry, but you it's still to risky to just take all incentives from the consumers. People are more cautious when making bigger purchases and want more for their money.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:33 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
While earlier in this thread people un-convincingly said it looked like a civic I see Lexus ISC?

Old 06-11-2012, 11:26 PM
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts
Someone here will be buying one soon. I can feel it.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:27 AM
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
What's with the three switchblanks on the left of the dash? What options are they for?

This is poor design grammar from Acura, which does the same thing on the TSX. At least with the TSX, these were ostensibly for options only available in the Euro market.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:25 AM
Racer

Received 230 Likes on 98 Posts
This is going to happen. As we have been told, expect the special programs (leasing particularly) offered on the TSX to go away by next month, in conjunction with a stronger ILX push. Right now the TSX is just too good of a deal, they lose money on them with the build & shipping from Japan, and the pricing/leasing is a bit too attractive vs. the ILX.

The ILX has a lot of great buzz and we've had more people showing up to see and drive one, even more so than when the all new RDX recently arrived.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:23 AM
David_Dude

Originally Posted by beach109
This is going to happen. As we have been told, expect the special programs (leasing particularly) offered on the TSX to go away by next month, in conjunction with a stronger ILX push. Right now the TSX is just too good of a deal, they lose money on them with the build & shipping from Japan, and the pricing/leasing is a bit too attractive vs. the ILX.

The ILX has a lot of great buzz and we've had more people showing up to see and drive one, even more so than when the all new RDX recently arrived.
Definitely makes more sense. I was wondering how Acura would solve the problem of price b/w both models. Take leasing out of the TSX and it'll push sales to the ILX. It's great that the car's getting positive response as well as the RDX.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:55 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Definitely makes more sense. I was wondering how Acura would solve the problem of price b/w both models. Take leasing out of the TSX and it'll push sales to the ILX. It's great that the car's getting positive response as well as the RDX.
Possibly or just hurt sales of the TSX.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:17 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts
they should come with the sport aero kit standard. ilx looks naked without them. if you guys interested in the ilx buy them now before they go all CVT in couple years.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:26 AM
David_Dude

Originally Posted by Rocket_man
Possibly or just hurt sales of the TSX.
That is true.

Originally Posted by pickler
they should come with the sport aero kit standard. ilx looks naked without them. if you guys interested in the ilx buy them now before they go all CVT in couple years.
Yeah I think it looks good w/ the aero kit also. Hopefully the CVT is programmed right when it does replace the 5AT/6AT autos in the future.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:54 AM
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by pickler
It depends on how the CVT is programmed. I like the CVT on my wife’s Outback.