Our First 2013 ILX Arrived

Old 05-25-2012, 11:36 AM
Drifting

Received 285 Likes on 245 Posts
The Ilx is insane....and that's not a good thing. I'm sorry but for 299 a month with 3399 down, you could get a much, much better car. Leasing is probably the least logical thing to do, despite the fact that most entry level buyers lease their vehicles. In fact, I could get a tsx for 299 with 1999 down, and this is for a larger car, with similar options, and a more powerful motor. I wonder how leasing rates are created.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
I agree with you guys that the pricing scheme used by Acura leaves alot to be desired and could be their problem. I am afraid that what they might do is a price adjustment upward for the TSX and TL to make the spread more significant and justify each segment of the brand. I know they can't afford to push it too high as it will hurt their sales number but again, they could still do it slowly and gradually so that few would notice it (or make the increase more palatable)
Old 05-25-2012, 01:02 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
I swung by my local Acura dealer today while I was out and they have a Black/Black ILX Tech. It was locked on the lot and didn't want to deal with a salesman so I just looked it over. I do like the styling both inside and out. I think it makes a nice fit in the Acura line up... but the price on the sticker was more than people are currently paying for a TSX Tech. So that part I really don't get. If the price were lower I think they would sell a ton. Of course I haven't driven it either.

If they are going to move the new TSX/TL/TLX that much higher in price it will have to be justified. They just can't update the current TSX with no new features or value and expect to get $2 grand more for it.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:24 PM
Drifting

The smartest thing for acura to do is to axe the tsx immediately because if people are coming into the acura dealer looking for an ilx and see the prices of the tsx, they will just go over and buy the tsx instead. If you noticed, the way acura serves up its special offers page has changed, it no longer features all the cars listed, but rather there are tabs for each car... probably because the ilx's lease rates are ridiculous.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:17 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Saw the ILX at the local Acura dealership here and it's body lines reminds me of a Lexus IS. Not a bad looking car, but yea the price is too close to the TSX.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:16 AM

Received 5,877 Likes on 2,896 Posts
Meh.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:11 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
I swung by my local Acura dealer today while I was out and they have a Black/Black ILX Tech. It was locked on the lot and didn't want to deal with a salesman so I just looked it over. I do like the styling both inside and out. I think it makes a nice fit in the Acura line up... but the price on the sticker was more than people are currently paying for a TSX Tech. So that part I really don't get. If the price were lower I think they would sell a ton. Of course I haven't driven it either.

If they are going to move the new TSX/TL/TLX that much higher in price it will have to be justified. They just can't update the current TSX with no new features or value and expect to get $2 grand more for it.

Huh? 2013 is supposed to be the last year for the TSX, from everything I've read. ILX, TLX & RLX is the lineup going forward from everything I've read. That's why Acura isn't concerned about price since the TSX is all but dead anyway.

I stopped and looked at the ILX the other night. I like it. Much better looking in person. It seems to be fairly close in size to my 1st. gen TSX, which is a good thing. It was after hours so I didn't have to talk to a salesperson, so I didn't get to poke around the interior at all.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:08 PM
Summer is Coming

Originally Posted by cls1000
Huh? 2013 is supposed to be the last year for the TSX, from everything I've read. ILX, TLX & RLX is the lineup going forward from everything I've read. That's why Acura isn't concerned about price since the TSX is all but dead anyway.

I stopped and looked at the ILX the other night. I like it. Much better looking in person. It seems to be fairly close in size to my 1st. gen TSX, which is a good thing. It was after hours so I didn't have to talk to a salesperson, so I didn't get to poke around the interior at all.
I meant that when they update the TSX/TL to the TLX they need to put a few thounsand dollars worth of improvements into the car to separate it from the ILX. Not just raise the price. I'm not sure how they are going to do that.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:37 AM
Instructor

I meant that when they update the TSX/TL to the TLX they need to put a few thounsand dollars worth of improvements into the car to separate it from the ILX. Not just raise the price. I'm not sure how they are going to do that.

Do you think the prices will go up when the new engine/transmission combos become available?

To answer your question, I don't think it will be a big deal. The ILX doesn't come standard with HID's, leather, etc. which I would think the new, upcoming models will be. Keeping that in mind with the general rule of thumb that new car prices go up every year, and with the lower staring point of the ILX, I'm sure it will all fall into place once the new lineup is all there. Sure, looks like a mess now, but change takes time. I'm sure they wish it could be done all at once, lol. I don't imagine Acura is thrilled with all the seemingly negative feedback this car is getting thus far.

I just thought about it, but upon looking at the front of the car, it looks like they did away with the LED DRL's on the front as well? That's a bummer. That's one of the hottest design trends going on right now. I mean I guess there could be some integrated into the headlamp housing, but I never noticed them. They're def. not in the bumper like on the pre-production model.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:55 PM
Summer is Coming

Do you think the prices will go up when the new engine/transmission combos become available?

To answer your question, I don't think it will be a big deal. The ILX doesn't come standard with HID's, leather, etc. which I would think the new, upcoming models will be. Keeping that in mind with the general rule of thumb that new car prices go up every year, and with the lower staring point of the ILX, I'm sure it will all fall into place once the new lineup is all there. Sure, looks like a mess now, but change takes time. I'm sure they wish it could be done all at once, lol. I don't imagine Acura is thrilled with all the seemingly negative feedback this car is getting thus far.

I just thought about it, but upon looking at the front of the car, it looks like they did away with the LED DRL's on the front as well? That's a bummer. That's one of the hottest design trends going on right now. I mean I guess there could be some integrated into the headlamp housing, but I never noticed them. They're def. not in the bumper like on the pre-production model.
The current TSX comes standard with leather and HID. Acura is going to need to separate it further from the ILX. Simply adding push button start isn't going to cut a significant price increase. New engines won't either since there is likely to be little perfromance difference. Previous TSX next gen cars didn't raise the price significantly. I don't have the numbers but I recall it was only a few hundred dollars each time. That is not going to separate it from the ILX. With the ILX Tech and the TSX Tech less than $1,000 in MSRP and less in actual selling price something has to change beside the ED engines and PBS.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:25 PM
Racer

Received 230 Likes on 98 Posts
As of this afternoon, we had the black/black Tech pictured above, and received a black/parchment Tech and a graphite/ebony Hybrid Tech.

By close tonight both of our Techs were sold, and just the Hybrid left. Hope to have a buyer for it soon, in addition to our other incoming units.

Compared to the TSX, one buyer traded out of a 2010 TSX Tech to a new ILX Tech lease, and the other from a VW Beetle convertible. Both liked the TSX but preferred the look and size of the ILX more.

More to come, 6-spd included, before long.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:33 PM
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts
I like the car for what it is. It just doesn't fit my growing family. I think it would be a great used car buy though.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:57 PM
Summer is Coming

Originally Posted by beach109
As of this afternoon, we had the black/black Tech pictured above, and received a black/parchment Tech and a graphite/ebony Hybrid Tech.

By close tonight both of our Techs were sold, and just the Hybrid left. Hope to have a buyer for it soon, in addition to our other incoming units.

Compared to the TSX, one buyer traded out of a 2010 TSX Tech to a new ILX Tech lease, and the other from a VW Beetle convertible. Both liked the TSX but preferred the look and size of the ILX more.

Great... so what did they go for??? :-)
Old 05-30-2012, 11:35 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by beach109

What did the ilx tech lease come to, in terms of payments? I only ask because I can lease a new tsx for the same money as acura quotes for the ilx premium lease and put less money down on the tsx...and this is without negotiating prices. No offense to the purchaser of the vehicle, but given acura's current lease incentives, it makes more sense to lease a new tsx (even with tech) than it does leasing an ilx tech...in fact you might save a few bucks on the tsx and it's a shorter lease term.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:38 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by spdandpwr
What did the ilx tech lease come to, in terms of payments? I only ask because I can lease a new tsx for the same money as acura quotes for the ilx premium lease and put less money down on the tsx...and this is without negotiating prices. No offense to the purchaser of the vehicle, but given acura's current lease incentives, it makes more sense to lease a new tsx (even with tech) than it does leasing an ilx tech...in fact you might save a few bucks on the tsx and it's a shorter lease term.
There is not a question that the program on the TSX is better.

In this case, both buyers just really liked the ILX package and look more than they did the TSX.
The following users liked this post:
spdandpwr (05-31-2012)
Old 05-31-2012, 08:53 PM
Racer

Before it left with thrilled new owners, I was able to capture the new Crystal Black and Parchment ILX Tech after PDI and detail for delivery. The CBP and Parchment really make a difference, especially inside.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:33 PM
Pro

^^^nice pics....until you see this
Old 06-01-2012, 07:12 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
This is a great little car, looks sharp and has great proportions! The biggest mistake Acura made, and what may eventually kill the chance of a full blown success of the ILX, is not having killed the TSX when they launched this car. I know its been said numerous time already but having this car with the TSX engine in Auto/Manual with tech packagae available across the board would have made this car a hot seller! It would have made the difference in size between the ILX and TL much more substantial (as teh price point), would have given buyers a great performer (and nimble too). The only reason I think they didn't was because the RL is not a seller anymore so dropping their lineup to only 2 REAL sellers would have made the brand too weak.

If acura would have been smart, they would have brought the re-designed RL and the ILX at the same time and gotten rid of the TSX at the same time. Then you would have had the ILX, the TL and the RLX.

I look at the ILX and I say to myself...man this could be a fun little car to toss around but its hard to push a car that has so little HP. To me, a luxury brand should not have a sedan with less than 200hp...Thats just me.
spdandpwr (06-01-2012)
Old 06-01-2012, 01:10 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by weather
This is a great little car, looks sharp and has great proportions! The biggest mistake Acura made, and what may eventually kill the chance of a full blown success of the ILX, is not having killed the TSX when they launched this car. I know its been said numerous time already but having this car with the TSX engine in Auto/Manual with tech packagae available across the board would have made this car a hot seller! It would have made the difference in size between the ILX and TL much more substantial (as teh price point), would have given buyers a great performer (and nimble too). The only reason I think they didn't was because the RL is not a seller anymore so dropping their lineup to only 2 REAL sellers would have made the brand too weak.

If acura would have been smart, they would have brought the re-designed RL and the ILX at the same time and gotten rid of the TSX at the same time. Then you would have had the ILX, the TL and the RLX.

I look at the ILX and I say to myself...man this could be a fun little car to toss around but its hard to push a car that has so little HP. To me, a luxury brand should not have a sedan with less than 200hp...Thats just me.
+1 to your whole post. But for the power thing: Maybe power is an American thing because, in europe, some of the luxury brands offer models with diesel engines or small petrol engines with less than 200hp.
weather (06-01-2012)
Old 06-01-2012, 11:15 PM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 427 Posts
You know what is the first thing I noticed...the ILX is the first Acura in 27 years, (other than the NSX), that doesn't have "ACURA" spelled out on the left side of the trunk.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:30 PM
Summer is Coming

I think the TSX will definitely limit the appeal of the ILX but some will buy it because they like the style or the size. But maybe next model year the TSX will be 'gone' and remade into the TLX which will (or we assume) set it further apart from the ILX. Hopefully this is the same point that the ILX will get the ED engine upgrade. Then the price point may make a little more sense. If I were a 1st year buyer of the ILX and they changed engines next year at the same price point I might be a little annoyed.
Old 06-02-2012, 01:39 AM
Summer is Coming

Originally Posted by BDoggPrelude
You know what is the first thing I noticed...the ILX is the first Acura in 27 years, (other than the NSX), that doesn't have "ACURA" spelled out on the left side of the trunk.
The '13 RDX doesn't either. It must be a new thing.
Old 06-02-2012, 03:39 PM
Instructor

I think the TSX will definitely limit the appeal of the ILX but some will buy it because they like the style or the size. But maybe next model year the TSX will be 'gone' and remade into the TLX which will (or we assume) set it further apart from the ILX. Hopefully this is the same point that the ILX will get the ED engine upgrade. Then the price point may make a little more sense. If I were a 1st year buyer of the ILX and they changed engines next year at the same price point I might be a little annoyed.
Well, if they hold true and put them in "as soon as they're available" like has been said, it should be before next year. The new Accord coming out this fall will have the ED engines, so I would think around that time, maybe (wishful thinking) they will put the new stuff in.

I read some place else that the ILX was orig. supposed to be the debut of the Earth Dreams engines, but the Tsunami put that on the back shelf. Don't know if that's true or not, but it could make sense.
Old 06-03-2012, 03:40 AM
06 TL 6MT + 18 ATS-V 8AT

Received 161 Likes on 93 Posts
The '13 RDX doesn't either. It must be a new thing.
In general, Acura seems to be taking more cues from German luxury brands:

- knobs instead of buttons for HVAC
- HVAC controls moved to lower console and out of safe viewing range
- guage pods replaced with plain guages
- dash made up of multiple plasticky pieces with large gaps
- shared steering wheel designs across models
- BMW sharkfin antenna
- plain interior door panels with no accent trim (ala 3-series)
- gimmicky non-touch screen nav
- no leather/HID's in base model

This is evident in the RLX/RDX/ILX, which likely means the TLX and MDX will follow suit
Old 06-03-2012, 08:49 AM
Summer is Coming

Well, if they hold true and put them in "as soon as they're available" like has been said, it should be before next year. The new Accord coming out this fall will have the ED engines, so I would think around that time, maybe (wishful thinking) they will put the new stuff in.

I read some place else that the ILX was orig. supposed to be the debut of the Earth Dreams engines, but the Tsunami put that on the back shelf. Don't know if that's true or not, but it could make sense.
The accord will have the 2.4L ED engine and that is later this year. You'd hope the 2.0 would be soon, but it doesn't seem like Honda makes major changes like this mid-year. They will wait for a new MY but they will not wait for the MMC update.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:22 AM
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
I agree with you guys that the pricing scheme used by Acura leaves alot to be desired and could be their problem. I am afraid that what they might do is a price adjustment upward for the TSX and TL to make the spread more significant and justify each segment of the brand. I know they can't afford to push it too high as it will hurt their sales number but again, they could still do it slowly and gradually so that few would notice it (or make the increase more palatable)
It seems like the group that designed Acura's successful new look (beak) was promoted to marketing where they continue with their great ideas.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:37 PM
2013 RL or bust

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura should be held accountable for their actions here.. what a disaster.

ILX should be at the MOST 275 a month with NOTHING 0 NADA money DOWN
Old 06-04-2012, 06:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by afjock21
ILX should be at the MOST 275 a month with NOTHING 0 NADA money DOWN
Dude, you can barely get a Civic for that. Current offers. Civic is $220/mo + tax/title/dealer fees, which are usually around $1000 (which is $29 for 35 months). So that's $249 + tax. Not sure where you're located, but let's say a 9% tax rate (Los Angeles) and you're looking at $271.41/mo with zero down for a base Civic with an auto trans.

Side-note: interesting that Acura put nicer 17" wheels on the ILX than the TSX.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:08 PM
Pro

The interior looks fantastic. Lots of nice tasteful little details like the chrome surrounding the cup holder. The material looks expensive and comfy. I like it a lot but, really have no need for anything smaller than the TSX.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:39 PM
Night and Day

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
^the tail lights.

actually it looks more like a kia to me..

...or a 335

...or an a5

...or this wagon

...Ok, maybe not the wagon.

Point is, Cars have similarities. Always have. Always will.

(not being year specific here, car buffs, just making a joke)

The ILX looks fine. Not my favorite design, but far from the worst I've seen.. Almost every company has an ugly stepchild (Murano Cabrio anybody? Scion iQ? Any Ford Focus. EVER?)

Perhaps it will do well...but what the hell does ILX stand for? And how will it resonate with uneducated buyers looking for entry level luxury?

Justin-
Old 06-06-2012, 01:08 AM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
rear of IS looks far better. IS250 has smaller turning radius than ILX. If they make IS a little bigger for 2014. that will be my car.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:38 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i'd like to see the quality of the leather in person
Old 06-08-2012, 11:47 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by gonzo08452
I like it a lot but, really have no need for anything smaller than the TSX.

Its 4.2" shorter than the 1st. gen TSX and 6.5" shorter than the 2nd. gen car.

That little bit really a deal breaker for ya, eh?
Old 06-08-2012, 03:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts
saw it in person today sat in this horrible car way to small for me but for a small person that maybe weighs 120 pounds it would be great. but that fact stands its not as nice as a tsx and its a damn shame they are going to kill it off for this thing.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by odus
saw it in person today sat in this horrible car way to small for me but for a small person that maybe weighs 120 pounds it would be great. but that fact stands its not as nice as a tsx and its a damn shame they are going to kill it off for this thing.
Ha ha. And all those folks were complaining that the G2 TSX got too "big and bloated".... now people will complain that the ILX is too small. People just like to complain.
Trentimus (12-07-2012)
Old 06-08-2012, 03:53 PM
Burning Brakes

who ever said the g2 tsx was big and bloated needs to drive a 8th gen 4 door accord lol that thing is huge but my wife loves it so oh well. funny thing is if you look at the sale numbers i think they leased and sold more tsx than TL's so killing the tsx is a horrible decision.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by odus
who ever said the g2 tsx was big and bloated needs to drive a 8th gen 4 door accord lol that thing is huge but my wife loves it so oh well. funny thing is if you look at the sale numbers i think they leased and sold more tsx than TL's so killing the tsx is a horrible decision.
I'm 1000% sure that 14,676 YTD TL sales generates more profit for HMC than 15,012 YTD TSX sales does, considering the Yen to dollar exchange rate. So cancelling the TSX (which has actually been denied) makes perfect business sense.

So here's my take. There will be a 2013 TSX for those that want it. If the TSX is removed, it's likely that it will be 'blended' with the TL when these two cars are up for a FMC in 2014. If they continue with it, maybe we'll see the following;

ILX @ 179"
TSX @ 186"
TL @ 193"
RLX @ 196-199"

If blended, maybe:
ILX @179"
TLX @ 186"
RLX @ 196"

Maybe they'll add a coupe on the (former) TSX chassis?
ILX @ 179"
CLX @ 183"
TLX @ 190"
RLX @ 196-199"

The point is, there are a lot of options for Acura to pursue, the entire sedan lineup will be refreshed, and the ILX is simply the first out of the chute.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:54 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
^^^^^

Agree, Acura currently has too many overlapping models which compete between one another, rather than helping to capture more market share.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:05 PM
Burning Brakes

ILX is still not the answer acura should have put out but there going to keep fucking up one way or another
Old 06-09-2012, 03:50 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Colin
I'm 1000% sure that 14,676 YTD TL sales generates more profit for HMC than 15,012 YTD TSX sales does, considering the Yen to dollar exchange rate. So cancelling the TSX (which has actually been denied) makes perfect business sense.

So here's my take. There will be a 2013 TSX for those that want it. If the TSX is removed, it's likely that it will be 'blended' with the TL when these two cars are up for a FMC in 2014. If they continue with it, maybe we'll see the following;

ILX @ 179"
TSX @ 186"
TL @ 193"
RLX @ 196-199"

If blended, maybe:
ILX @179"
TLX @ 186"
RLX @ 196"

Maybe they'll add a coupe on the (former) TSX chassis?
ILX @ 179"
CLX @ 183"
TLX @ 190"
RLX @ 196-199"

The point is, there are a lot of options for Acura to pursue, the entire sedan lineup will be refreshed, and the ILX is simply the first out of the chute.

What the hell does "FMC" mean? lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Our First 2013 ILX Arrived